And Now, Monkey Jell-O Wrestling

OK, so it’s really monkeys wrestling with Jell-O, but we wanted a more attention-getting headline. Anyway, the Bronx Zoo gave their squirrel monkeys blueberries in Jell-O to stimulate their foraging instincts, along with your “awwwwww” instincts.

Comments

1. Jell-O is the new Pudding!

*kersplat*

2. Is anyone else concerned that these little guys will be eating gelatin remnants? Doesn’t seem right.

I doubt beef and pork connective tissue is part of their regular diet.

Wipe those baerries clean, babies!!
    ;-)

3. *adds Jello to shopping list*

4. Look at those panicky little hands going to work…love it

5. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa monkeys!!!!

6. Going away to compose latest verse of the endless Peter Gabriel-based monkey epic!! BRB :mrgreen:

7. PS I have never seen that color Jello!

8. Those are going to be STICKY monkey hands

9. OMG I did not realize those were blueberries and when I did… squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! That means they are much smaller monkeys than I thought! The blueberries took up a large space in their little hands! OMG! I like the guy who kept tasting it and making an icky face. :)

10. 260Oakley says:

Picking blueberries out of jello is tough. You need to leave yourself some wiggle room.

11. Cue 1970s-era Jello TV ad song:

“Watch it wi-ggle
    See it ji-ggle…”

12. Oh my god. I mean, seriously. Plus the same realization – for just a moment I was like, “Man, those blueberries are GIGANTIC! – no, wait a minute …”

I like their kind of hesitant grabbiness.

As a newspaper employee, I think I’m obligated to make a joke along the lines of ‘man, they’re like the sports department at the holiday potluck!” or something like that.

13. Or my choir. Or inlaws.

14. Notice they don’t really eat the Jell-o. Maybe one wobbly, wiggly bite at the end. No, it’s all, let’s get this stuff out of the way and get to the chewy goodness inside.

15. Flutterby says:

I wonder if monkehs see in color. If they do, then they’re probably grossed out by the color of teh Jell-O like I am… *ulp*

16. There’s always room for Jell-O.

17. Billie-Jo says:

Yes, the first thing I did was “Aaawwwhhhh!”

Looks like Jello was a little frustrating for the monkeys, though – “I can see them, but how do I get them out?!”

18. (The Original) Mel says:

There’s gonna be some extra poop-throwing at the Bronx Zoo tonight!

19. Can’t say as I blame them. I don’t like Jello either. Bleck.

20. Yeah, eat the Jell-O, dude! It’s good!

21. aaaaaa that was achingly KEEEEYOOOOOOTE! The lil paws KEEEEEEL me!

I love how they jello seemed to be a pure sensory experience, not just an eating one, for the lil mon-kays…

22. They seem so confused! It’s how I react to Jello as well….

“what is…what the….bleargh!!!” :-)

23. kokobutterbuns says:

oh those little hands & fingernails!!!

24. I love how they dig out a big lump of blueberry goodness, and then take off with it!

25. sorry, head exploded, forgot to type.

26. I like how at 1:10 the little one is trying to eat and one of the bigger one kind of pulls him away. Reminds me of my brother and I when we were kids, fighting over candy.

27. I think it’s blue raspberry. Yeah, that’s it! Sure am I. ;-)

28. *snort* My nephews!

29. I like the idea of giving critters something puzzling to keep them mentally healthy.

30. O NO He/She/ IT DI-unt!!! says:

*giggles*

31. Clearly, these munkins still have some evolving to do…. They haven’t developed the Jello-appreciation gene that us humans clearly have :)

32. O NO He/She/ IT DI-unt!!! says:

no but WAIT THERE’s ALWAYS room fer Jello!!!

(young’uns: that tagline PREDATES Senor Cosby!!!)

33. *snerk*
    achsually, that’d be *snorp*….the sound that jello makes when it slides out of a shot glass. Not that I would know ’bout stuff like that. Nope, not me. I go bowling with nuns and play canasta. ;-)

34. make that “munchkins”… :P

35. O NO He/She/ IT DI-unt!!! says:

or Theresa’s nephews. We don’ heard some tales ’bout them thar nephews and [WILL SHE TYPE "that word"?]
    BROCOLLEH (incorrect sp. acknowledged,
    but it’s Friday night and I’m a wimp tonight; so sue me ;) )

36. O NO He/She/ IT DI-unt!!! says:

@ Countess: …and “playing with their food” lives on!!!

37. O NO He/She/ IT DI-unt!!! says:

*snerkity snerk*

38. Nice to see monkeys getting a job. But why didn’t they just give them blueberry plants or raspberry bushes?

39. O NO He/She/ IT DI-unt!!! says:

AND IT’s GONNA BE BLUE poopie!!!!111!!! :)

Tha janitors are gonna be, like,
    “wow they REALLY had them a party Friday night, man” :)

40. There is only one nephew, and one niece. :D

Broccoli jello? where?

41. *clawing out eyes*

42. Sasha's Mum says:

I’m with the monkeys. Jello = yuck, blueberries = yum.

(Or perhaps just proof that *I’m* unevolved??)

43. I do this to my birds from time to time… but, being birds, I have to be careful not to freak them too far out… (le sigh) it’s a delicate balancing act. But so worth it when you get it right, and they prance around and ogle for three lifetimes, and then proceed to decimate it in about one third of the time I estimated… then look sooooooo pleasded with themselves. It always makes me laugh.

44. (The Original) Mel says:

You can’t unsee what has been seen. Muhahahaaaa.

45. Mrs. Kravitz says:

Jello trees are easier to grow? But seriously, berry bushes are not all that easy to cultivate and have a very short harvest. As an enrichment activity for these adorable lil’ doods, blueberries embedded in jello seems like a great idea.

I wonder if their tongues get blue like mine does when I eat blueberry pie. I’m willing to go to the zoo, and even bring fresh pie, to investigate thoroughly.

46. Teenygozer says:

There was one guy who seemed to think he’d win if he pulled out the most blueberries, but he didn’t taste a single one of them!

47. 260Oakley says:

Isn’t there a show named after this? Blue Man Poop?

48. (The Original) Mel says:

Also I just wanna say: Mon-chi-chi, mon-chi-chi.

49. That had me sort of laughing against my will. 8O

50. Why we have spoons?

51. Once A Fish says:

When my sister was a baby, my parents gave her a blob of jello to see what she would do. She sat in her highchair and poked at it for a while, and then she burst into tears. From that moment on (until kindergarten or so) she was terrified of it, and kept telling us she didn’t want “that alive food”.

52. Ohmyhead, their tiny little hands are SO PERFECT!!!!

53. The Official Jello of Squirrel Monkeys

Kraft must be so proud.

54. puddlepeppers says:

There’s always room for mon-kays.

55. all soft and cuddly!

56. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

Do the nuns play canasta? :)

57. Every Thursday.

58. snerk

59. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

oops me sowwy (blush)

60. Those faces…. Aieee!! The hands…. How is it possible we could doubt zat “Weeee Arre Faaamileeee!”

I suspect that the “jello” is really gelatin, without sugar, and the pale blue color comes from the blueberries themselves. Some (many) primates do eat protein, especially from bugs, so they should be okay. Just awesome fun to watch. Love the one that paws and paws and paws, but gets nothing, and the one who just grabs a hunk and exits, stage left.

61. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

(wow….sorry if that incurred any trauma Theresa et al!!!!!)

62. Lewis n' Clark says:

*adds sqweryl munkees to shopping list*

63. minkeys and jello, jello and minkeys!!!!! I’m so happy right now!!!!

64. TrixandSam says:

Which happens to be dollar jello shot night at Bingo.

(Not that I know anything about that despite going to twelve years of Catholic schooling and singing in the church choir half my of my life….)

65. Mary (the first) says:

Looked to me as if they weren’t foraging so much as pawing at the jello for fun! There was one point when several blueberries were lying around untouched and the monkey was still goin’ after the jello!

66. My guess is that they used isenglas or seaweed gelatin- also known as kosher gelatin. Jello itself contains hoof and horn, but not kosher gelatin.

67. bob drummond says:

If anybody from the Bronx Zoo is reading this please contact Fred Sterling, Bob
    Holland or Blake Barnes and have them contact me at my e-mail address and
    don’t waste time monkeying around.

68. I doubt that they used actual Jell-O because it just didn’t move like real Jell-O does. Granted, I haven’t had the stuff in many years (yuck!), but the ‘Jell-O’ in this video definitely seems stiffer.

69. My little sister looked like that with her first bowl of fruit cocktail loaded jello !
    (At least till she started decorating the walls with it )

70. Martha in Washington says:

I was in the hospital recently and they wouldn’t feed me for three days and when they finally did, they gave me orange jello. Ambrosia, I tell you! Pure Bliss! Best thing I ever ate!

Awww! Monkeys!

71. Did ya listen to it with the sound way up to hear the splorping sounds? I did. I especially like the way they were pawing at the jello like they were trying to open it. I wonder how cold it was.

72. 4leafclover says:

Can you give an example? I’m so curious now!

73. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

three days w/o potato chips or Mystery Meat???

hope you’re feeling “all bettew” now :)

74. It’s as simple as a crumpled piece of unbleached paper, or natural peanut butter and birdseed balls… this Christmas, I folded up an empty wrapping paper tube, and tucked that in a corner. Haw. :) THAT one they’re still chewing on! Or a bamboo skewer through apple slices.

75. The Little Myrmidon says:

Next week on Bronx Zoo, “Monkeys Battle Jell-O Addiction”

76. Queen of Dork says:

They look like they’re tearing open presents! Or maybe like some kind of workers busily sorting through mail or something. I agree with the “ick” factor…Jello has always kind of freaked me out. Food that jiggles is somehow strange to me.

77. Hee hee! They ARE panicky little hands – so quick and nimble but worried that time is of the essence..

78. “So what did you do at work today?”
    “Gave some jello to monkeys, watched them play with it.”

How could that NOT be the perfect job?!

79. There is also a niece. My nephew is getting disgustingly mature.

80. I have to admit… I always want to slap it; for the ‘slorp’ sound and the jiggle, and then I want to poke holes in it… eat it? Well, maybe not so much.

81. My favorite monkey, like the one Pippi Longstocking had (Mr. Nilsson)! :)

82. Let me know which grocer carries them, ‘kay? I’ll want to show there!

83. Er….I work at the zoo but don’t know who any of those people are.

84. Presents? Here’s a video from WCS of the baboons at the Prospect Park Zoo opening their holiday presents. WCS, the Wildlife Conservation Society, operates the Bronx Zoo as well as the Prospect Park Zoo, Central Park Zoo, and Queens Zoo.

85. Reminds me of this but way cuter.

86. I’d guess its actually unflavored gelatin with a little food coloring in it. I somehow imagine that the processed sugar in the Jello mixes isn’t exactly good for small primates. I certainly wouldn’t want to have to contend with six squirrel monkeys hopped up on pure South American cane.

87. Sticky, little panicky hands….

88. Awww they’re so baffled by that jello!!!!

89. Queen of Dork says:

That made me smile!

90. Are you in my choir???!!

91. The Prospect Park baboons! I know those guys!!!

92. Awesome! I gave my SIL a book called “Cubicle Warfare,” and she loved it, but there was nothing this great in it!

93. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!!! says:

Aren’t they Click and Clack? :)

94. I was just thinking that I want the kind of job where problems are solved by giving gelatin to monkeys.

95. Heehee, I like that one who’s all, “Broccoli?! Screw that, gimme the fruit!”

96. I love the sounds in this vid!!!

97. Ha ha ha ha!!!!

98. Monkeys and apes are always my favorite… I love their little hands!!!! ehn! too cute!!!

99. That story just made my day. Thank you!