C.O. ArtWatch

The Selma Flootz Gallery is pleased to announce “Snow Way Out,” the latest exhibition by sculptor Ingrid Saarsghargle-Lopez. Working entirely in snow, the artist creates works with thought-provoking titles like “Vortex of Infinite Knowing.”

I guess this won’t be in the permanent collection, Kristina K.

Comments

1. The mudball eyes.
    Are the perfect touch.
    D’aww.

2. Arrgh, I just got a flashback to seventh grade and “Lord of the Flies.” 8O

3. That’s no mud….

4. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

Not to mensch, that their couleur matches that of the organic puppeh.

5. that’s a mighty big schnozz

6. The eyes look… poo-ish…

7. Courtesy of the wonderful IBKC is a feline bookend to this wonderful pup and his snowy doppelgänger. http://www.theittybittykittycommittee.com/2010/12/what-another-frost.html

8. marguerite212 says:

The picture is a perfect holiday card!

9. It’s a dog, not a pig :)

10. “All bow(wow) down to the Head!”
    shhh- he’s going to speak!

Tell me he doesn’t look like he’s ’bout to speak at a convention or somesuch as he stands behind a giant head podium. No? It’s just me then?

11. That nose could smell bacon from mi-i-i-les away!

12. 260Oakley says:

Brain freeze

13. skippymom says:

No, not just you!

14. How about a cute art tag?

15. victoreia says:

. . . that’s a space station.

(What? Oh, sorry….)

16. Dog’s thinking, “Obviously I’m a god. Your tribute is, somewhat satisfactory. Oh yes, kill the sculptor for the less than oval nostrils please.”

17. Awesome, just perf. Sometimes I actually miss living in a snowy place.

18. It’s ALF!

I can’t figure out what part is more cringeworthy here… the fact that the sculpture looks like ALF to me, or the fact that the eyes look like… uh…

Maybe I just failed some kind of Rorschach test.

But the pup is cute!

19. Gigi (the original one) says:

Yeah Teresa! I saw a pig to when I first looked at the photo and I still think it looks piggish.

20. You know, it also looks like Vaal from this ep of Star Trek:

Don’t kiss in front of it, it gets mad. You may need starship phaser support.

21. 260Oakley says:

by Braincusi, of course.

22. No, but it was obviously left there by prehistoric aliens. :D

23. Funny, he doesn’t– oh never mind . . .

24. now, I’m wondering why they didn’t use some dirt around the nozzle to match the model pup.

25. The winner of this year’s Turner [and Hooch] prize combines distilled essence of profoundly personal graphic imagery and intricate patterns, rooted in reality yet in the process of transformation. Awkwardly placed in discreet locations, images hover in the space between recognition and ambiguity, figuration and abstraction.
    But it’s still kinda crappy.

26. It’s pinecones, right? Right?!?! ;-)

27. wait… is your kitty picture wearing a paper crown from a popper???? enquiring minds want to know LOL

28. I am having flashbacks to the movie “Neverending Story” and that flying dog Atreyu..anyone else?

29. Martha in Washington says:

I think Atreyu is the boy? And the “flying dog” is a Luck Dragon.

30. I hope the eyeballs are mud and not the other stuff {{{shudder}}}.

31. dub1 – Snerkity snerk, perhaps Chris Ofili has swapped elephant dung for snow.

32. This art speaks to me, it says, this is bo**ocks.

33. marguerite212 says:

Certainly not! This creation of the milliner’s art is a repurposing of marine detritus to subtly and elegantly suggest the profound connection between The Kittehs and The Fishies.

34. I hear Ingrid Saarsghargle-Lopez also does some freelance designing for Ikea!

35. Yep, and he’s named Falkor. Well, Fuchur actually, but I suppose to make it pronouncable outside Germany, they changed the name.

36. Me too! That nose definitely looks a little piggish to me.

37. This is the type of thing I always have in mind when reading art reviews. Where do they come up with that stuff?

38. Wow I love this!! Love your dog!!!

39. i almost said this under the earlier post with the three puppehs wearing matching hoodies – I just love people that love their animals so much!

40. WendyPinNJ says:

“Ingrid Saarsghargle-Lopez”

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

That name got me laughing hysterically before I even scrolled down to the picture. Once I got to the picture, I though “meh!” Sorry. Doesn’t do a darn thing for me!

41. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

“Here’s mud, in your eye!!!”

42. TrixandSam says:

*head slap* Doh!

43. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

(stifled *snerk*)

44. TrixandSam says:

I’m with you Vanilla. I had to take four years of art history for my degree (BFA, School of the Art Institute of Chicago) and realized that I could not shake my logical mind of “it’s crap” and “someone paid money for that???” so I opted for graphic design. I can still hear the Charlie Brown’s teacher voice in my head that I heard instead of my professors.

45. Remember the “Matchingks” tag!

46. That’s exactly what I thought. What the hell is that dog going building a snow ALF?

47. “mwap, bwa, mawp,maw,mwar.”

48. I have a set of twin nieces who just turned two years old. They are very inquisitive and verbal. One of them is obsessed with the moon and points it out whenever possible. Her daddy taught her to say, “That’s not a moon, it’s a space station!” Geek dads, you gotta love ‘em…

49. (It’s Maru in a crab hat.)

50. A movie that fills me with sparkly 1980s warm fuzzies!

51. There is art, and then there is “The Art World.”

52. marguerite212 says:

Well, yes. But it’s also a subtle and elegant creation of the milliner’s art repurposing . . .

53. Sis and I made a giant snow turkey one Thanksgiving break when we were kids.

54. Me three.