THIS JUST IN: A ladybug plays with sprinkles

Cristal G., of America’s Favorite Band, The Bootcuts, sent this in.

Comments

1. i think it’s trying to eat them. it’s funny when it walks through a whole bunch of sprinkles and kicks them all over the place with its legs.

2. GOTCHA! Oh, dammit :S

3. no way!!!

4. People, you should NEVER give sprinkles to your ladybugs! Don’t you know SPRINKLES CAN KILL????????!!!!1111!!!
    (/sarcastic nuff)

That was freaking adorable, by the way. If she had a visible tail, she’d be wagging it.

5. “then I sez to the guy, I sez ‘That’s no aphid!'”

6. No effen way! Well, that just takes the cake. Or tops it. Or something. But my mind is officially blown!

7. One of the cutest things ever! Ladybug is all “which one do I choose, which one?”

8. That is the biggest WTF I have seen all year

9. tobesograteful says:

“Weeee! Me LIKE sugar!!”

10. Fun!

11. maybe she (?) thinks they are eggs?

12. Meh! Give her a bug to eat.

13. This is one of the weirdest things I’ve ever seen.

14. She needs some friends for a game of ladybug soccer!!

Reminded me of this for some reason:

15. I think there’s some kind of electrostatic effect going on, that big, bumbling tetrapods like us never have to deal with. Maybe there’s a physicist or physical biologist who reads Cute Overload as a guilty pleasure can tell us what’s going on.

Can I just say, I was having a sh*tty evening, until I saw this. Thank you.

16. Ahahahahah lol….aphid…ha…sigh…ha

17. Lorrie-loo says:

Aww. I haven’t seen this little cartoon in forever. :)

18. CariceLaur says:

Ladybugs are actually quite fond of sweets, taking it from flowers or even as honeydew from aphids and planthoppers. Of course, they also eat those aphids and other small critters. Invaluable for any garden.

19. Holy Crap ! I am sooooooo going to get some sprinkles & try this when the warm weather comes back !

20. It’s almost like it is playing around in a ball pit
    I feel bad, keeps trying but fails :(

21. Red Jester says:

Looks like a hungry Asian lady beetle!

22. Least effective Roomba ever.

23. Demonstrating the madness that is the dot.com industry. (I believe this one is based in Geneva, which would make it Dotted Swiss.)

24. Who knew that ladybugs are sugar fiends? You learn something every day.

25. YAY I remember this!!

26. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

OMG potentially my favorite concept EVAIR!!!

27. So much win. Thanks for the memories!

28. TrixandSam says:

*begins erecting even bigger shrine to 260Oakley*

29. WendyPinNJ says:

CUT! IT! OUT!

It’s definitely PLAYING with them! Seeking them out even!

There are not words to describe how much I love this!

30. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

2600: you could make a pun out of a MOLECULE, if needed, couldn’t ya????

31. [hauls out bigger pedestal]

32. BALL!!! Ball! Ball! Ball!
    ballballballballballballball
    *noms*

33. Procatstination says:

Putting the EEEEEEEEE! in Coleoptera…

34. That’s what it reminded me of too! Ladybug soccer must have been the next event after the picnic.

35. Awww, it just wants some sweet sweet Omnomnommies.

36. Wow, I also had not seen this in . . . decades. It made my week–thank you!

37. I think this is hilarious! But, probably because I recently found out they absolutely LOVE Honey Nut Scooters! Okay, so I still play with bugs…….

38. Good lord, if she moves that fast on a sugar high, she’d be a speckled atom bouncing off the walls of that place!!

39. The ladybug is like “OMFG I LOVE SPRINKLES!!!”

40. Hee! I hear that in a high-pitched, squeaky voice, followed by giggling. That makes it even more fun!

41. I’m glad I’m not the only former Sesame Street junkie!! I also hadn’t seen it in decades until I sought it out today, but every few months or so I have found myself singing it in my head!!

42. heh.

43. That’s exactly why I thought too!

44. Biologist here!

Albeit not one with any real knowledge of ladybug ethology or entomology in general, but maybe I can still throw around some impressive terms.

Perhaps the sprinkles – due to their similarity to aphids – are some sort of sign stimulus that triggers a fixed action pattern of **CHASE AND GRAB**.

45. Aw, the adorably physical difficulties of eating something LARGER THAN ONE’S HEAD.
    Omnomnommie.

46. HP: i’m so glad it made your night…really!

47. Yes, I agree, it may have an affinity for the sprinkles “sweet” character, similar to the sugary substance produced by aphids. While the sugary substance is exploited by ants, this Lady-beetle is apparently going after aphid like prey.
    Fascinating!

48. (The Original) Mel says:

Omnomnommie is my new favorite word.

49. Hunh, I thought the video would be a ladybug walking through sprinkles and claimed to be “playing”. But there you have it, wow!

50. Martha in Washington says:

Gggggooooaaaallll!!!!

Officially one of the cutest things I have ever seen!!
    I<3 Ladybugs!

51. This is made of happy! We need to start a ladybug soccer team!

52. Luvfurbabies says:

This is way cute..
    …………….makes me wanna stock up on sprinkles for the upcoming spring!!!

53. Hey Bugman are you still reading CO?

54. Look I am not playing, I’m looking for my little boy Horace. He’s red with black spots. No not you dear your white, no your purple, here he is, will you quit hiding. I don’t care if your writing an ode, master Quintus Horatius Flaccus, you may be Romes leading lyric poet but to me your just a naughty boy. Anyway your sisters been on the cel and she says the house is on fire. Come on we’ve got to fly away home!

55. I l literally lolled.

56. White ball in the side pocket!

57. Lucy's Mommeh says:

Musta been a Sesame Street kind of day-there were home made cookies in the break room ..HAD to have acouple, and, stading by a coworker, I sang “C is for Cookie”…mind you, she’s the same age as me-50 (yeah, I said it!)..and she had NEVER. HEARD.THAT.SONG. She giggled while I sang it…:D

58. It’s after the sugar, but the static eckeltricity (technical term) means it can’t get at them.

59. earlybird1 says:

LOLOL! XD

60. Sorry to burst people’s bubbles, but there are too many spots. That my friends is not a Ladybug. It’s a Mexican Bean Beetle. (spelled p-e-s-t).

That said, the video is pretty cute anyway.

61. earlybird1 says:

ROTFL.. Quintus Horatius Flaccus… ahahahaha!!

62. bookmonstercats says:

You throwin’ out a challenge, O NO (heh heh)?

63. Yeah, me thinks too, that bug is on a sugar high!! Cuuuuuuuuuute!

64. Heheheee….. ’tis ok!

65. thats the singular cutest freakin thing ive seen in forever………

66. lol… same here!

67. Question for the masses: Is this in fact a ladybug? I thought the ones that were a bit more orange like this were actually Asian ladybeetles?

…. Not that it matters ……..

68. PhysicsProf says:

This is a 19-spotted ladybug (or ladybird beetle) and yes, I believe that they are Asian in origin. Unlike the common or garden variety, they also bite. A friend was encouraging one to crawl on his arm, and suddenly said, “Ow! That was no lady.!”

69. OK, how about one about Atom and Eve? It’s sinful.

70. Alice Shortcake says:

“….aaaaand she shoots…SHE SCORES!”

*cue thousands of screaming soccer fans*

71. Hysterical!!!

72. I think she is trying to eat one, but she can’t get her little mouf around it! There have to be boy ladybugs, right. I wonder what they are called. Pretty hard on a guy’s self image to be called a “lady” LOL

73. it’s all like wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, lick lick lick, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, lick lick, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

74. Yep; and there’s been many WTFs this year.

75. me too!

76. Iz no Sprinkelli iz Vermicelli.
    Says Hon Glad in best phony Italian accentino.

77. Third Shift says:

My fave is still the Alligator King, done in the same style. :)

78. totally!

79. So cute.

Although I did once live in a house that was infested with ladybugs, to the point where they covered the upstairs windows completely. Not so cute then.

But one or two? Freaking adorable. And chasing after sprinkles! She’s all “Come back, mah spreenkle!” *squee*

80. Bravo, Hon Glad! This is my new All Time Favorite from CO. I shared it on my Facebook page, and I cam back to give a comment.
    Merry Christmas fellow Peeps! And Happy 2011, too!

81. buttercream says:

Thank you, thank you, for the laugh and the memories! :) I watched Sesame Street, what, 40 years ago??? And it all came back in a heartbeat….

82. Sends Hug to Oakley because you make me laugh every day!

83. I LOVE the Bootcuts!

84. suzanlee2010 says:

Totally!

85. So ridiculous! XD

86. {ooofff} Thanks, I needed that!

87. haha this was SO cute!
    i now have the strong urge to lay out some sprinkles as i have a TON of lady bugs in my house. now to see if any of them will actually play with the sprinkles..

88. SheepishKitty says:

kind of like Katamari Damacy

89. yup, that’s what I figure, it’s looking for the aphids. These things are the right size and shape and taste sweet, but there’s no head to bite and when she nips, they don’t squish out aphidy juices!

90. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

But in a good way :)

91. lol!

92. cuticles! is she trying to figure out how to eat one, but her appendages keep pushing them away? if so, that’s sad. poor hungry ladybug. :p

93. I think the purpose of the Internet was revealed in this video.

94. very nice

95. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

(might I hazard an appeal/ request,
    that Mme. Ladybug not use profanities, even when she is squeeing???? It kinda diminishes the Cute Effect, pour moi ….)

96. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

– LARGER THAN ONE’S HEAD —

*AND*
    Candy-colored !!!! :)

97. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

Hi Katrina!! Semi-long time, no see!!!

98. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

99. The cuteness of this nearly caused me to black out. True story.

100. Commenting just to be the 100th! Yeah, baby!

And stay away from the candy, lil’ Ladybug.

101. That’s what I was thinking!

102. Could’ve been, but don’t think so – those ‘eye’ spots on the face are so typically ladybug. I think, like mentioned later, it’s a ladybird beetle. The mexican bean beetle all seem to have neutral-coloured faces.

Aaaanywho, incredibly adorable.

103. XD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

104. It’s either trying to eat them or it’s trying to mate with them, which is much more disturbing.

105. Hi, ONH/S/ID-u!!!!,

I hope all is well with Peepdom.

Almost all is well here, Killer is asking all Peeps everywhere to feed her, as she is on a Limited Ingredient Diet- she became allergic to her food and came down with a really nasty systemic allergic reaction-I had a Cori with bright pink skin for a while…so when you see her, please don’t feed Killer. It is KiIler’s Daddy’s (my husband’s) birthday, and we’ll have a heck of a time when she starts whining for cake.

This post is just so darling, how many times have I watched it? Eleventy!

Happy Everything to all the Peeps from the Steppes of Central Connecticut!

106. LOVE this one!. (coming from an unreformed former Bio major)

107. Why can’t it be BOTH! Like the Preying Mantis????

108. KittyMarthaPoo says:

OMG OMG OMG. My mom used to sing this song to me (“The Ladybug Picnic”) when I was a wee wee little girl! ! ! :)

109. Kristabelle says:

I love the Ladybug Picnic and the Alligator King, and really anything vintage Sesame Street! I do find myself singing the Ladybug Picnic now and then for no apparent reason or because I am in the garden and see a ladybug.
    Another Sesame Street thing I find myself singing all the time:

110. So cute! Maybe you could add a tiny bit of water to the sprinkles as to stop the static electricity then she’ll be able to nom on them :) But not too much water as you wouldn’t want to drown her! :)

111. The director-writer-singer of that piece is named Bud Luckey, and he works for Pixar now. He did the short film “Boundin'”.

112. LIKE A ROOMBA!!!

113. My hubby cut his toenails out on the back porch and a little while later the ants were trying to carry of the clippings. Ewwww to be sure but also kind of interesting so I thought I’d share!

114. When I was watching the clip, a banner popped up that said “stop this animal cruelty”. LOL, it obviously meant the little picture of a donkey next to it, but it was a golden moment I had to share.

115. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

“strange but twue”

116. lisa shalet says:

At first I thought it was a new type of pool played by buggies. But she clearly wanted to chomp on sugar but couldn’t hold ‘em before they rolled away. If i remember this in the spring, I’ll round up a ladybug, smash some sprinkles for her and let her have at ‘em.

117. Sucks when you run ino a field of delish gigantic jawbreakers bigger than your mouth / jaw, and you have no tongue!

118. Best comment though, had me laughing out loud

119. Awww it’s soooo cute but U kinda feel bad 4 it :( I mean all he wanted was an aphid and got a game of soccer ball :)

120. I no right

121. My entomologist colleague says he thinks its a HE and HE’s trying to mate them! Says they wouldn’t care about the sugar. He also says it practically impossible to get a ladybird beetle to eat horizontally- even when offered its fave food. They are voracious predators but apparently just silly horny bugs nonetheless. hahaha