Meowters?!

Did you know:

Male Otters are called “meowters”

Females are called “Queens” and babies are called “Pups”?

Bet you didn’t know the meowters one. Photography by Pixie. Meowters definition brought to our attention via Agent 3Z and Bobbeh!.

Comments

1. The more I know the less I remember.

2. I did not know that! Now I do!

Although methinks “meowter” is more befitting a kitty.

3. What? Did someone mumble “male otter” and that was it?

4. Beep! Beep! Beep!

5. You say meowter I say fracking cute!

6. Yes, that is what must have happened, exactly so.

7. I wonder where the info came from. According to Wikipedia, males are “dogs”, and females are “bitches”. (Babies are “pups”.)

8. …and tiny, fingerling potato-sized babies are called “tater t’otters”.

9. Scarleybelle says:

Otters is my favorites! Thanks, Meg!

10. It’s the start of my work day and my brain has gone otterly mush. Gotta love baby otters!

*Now I can’t work*

11. Bah ha ha ha ha ha!
    I like that!
    260Oakley; the Pungeon Master.

12. It’s really for true. Meowters is male otters!
    Say it otter loud, say it proud.

13. I think I need an otter, right now!

14. Cute Otterload!

15. (The Original) Mel says:

That’s a very nice meowter you have.

16. That’s silly. Everyone knows that a meowter is what you get when you cross an otter with a kitteh.

17. Meowter
    Meowter
    Meowter

Hmm. Like “Meow” and “Otter.” Weird.

18. Julia (the one in BC) says:

Hmm. I see that someone edited the Wikipedia entry since you made this observation. The source cited is Otter-world.com (http://www.otter-world.com/facts-about-otters.html).

I’d be more convinced if I could actually find “meowter” in a dictionary. So far I’m not having any luck.

Still, it’s a cute word…

19. “Meowters” is what male otters call themselves. “Youowters” is what they call everyone else.

20. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

Izzat part of the NBC Public Service Motto “The More You Know”??? ;)

21. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

“ToMAHto”!!! :)

22. kibblenibble says:

:lol:

23. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

yet AGAIN I am reduced, to repeatin’ a version of me screenname, heah:

“O NO YOU DI-unt!!!!” ;)

Signed,
    Severely Lacking in Original Doubletake/ Punchlines.

24. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

(gah. Clarity clause: my item time-stamped 6:53 was directed TO her Oakliness. My signature/ description line, was ABOUT ME. The Lacking Part).

why o why can’t the comment box READ MY MIND?????

25. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

khee hee “otterly” = WONDERFUL ADVERBIAL form!!

26. I come here for the Oakley. Ha ha ha. Love eeeet!!! Tater t’otters.

27. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

@ HP: then, who calls ‘em “Youse-Guyz- tters”?
    Peeps from New Choisey??? (*snicker*)

28. Not just the peeps, but also the woofs, squawks, chirps, honks, and bleats.

29. Ooh, and I nearly forgot about the critically endangered “Whyeyeotter,” once common on the lower Hudson and the East River.

30. BWahahahaahaha!

31. Be wary of Wikipedia “facts”. They can be edited by anyone.
    The babies are cubs or pups. I think males are dogs or meowters, and females are queens, to my knowledge.

32. You know, nobody has mentioned it, but we’ve lost someone very dear to CO-peeps, if outbreaks of “Airplane” quotes are any indications. I speak of that great Canadian-American — Leslie Nielsen.

33. Must. Have. Bebeh. Otter.

34. DewiCasGwent says:

I always thought baby otters were squees, that is what everybody says when they see them

35. Look at the tiny little fingers and toeses! I plotz!

36. good one!

37. Yes, I’ve been grieving his loss for days now. The world is a little the worse without him. We need more people who can create joy.

Glad we have Meg and the COTeam ’cause they create joy, too!!

38. He is adorable. The teeny tosies and feetsies. And the ROFL in pic 2.

39. freetomato says:

I also did not know that otters had ittle bitty tootsie roll toesies!

40. Someone needs to check the old TV show, “The Otter Limits.”

41. Whoop! Whoop! Whoop! Watch it there, knucklehead!

42. I was privileged to hold a rescued baby otter once–it was like holding a fur-covered Slinky. Truly adorable baby animals!

43. this is a rule of cuteness! an animal nomming on it’s own appendage is cute!

44. Hubby and I carpool to work. We passed a construction site yesterday and my hubby wondered aloud what a particular dump truck was hauling, because he counted the number of axles and then said it had three “pups.” He’s a hardware geek. “Whaaaat?” I said. “Pups?” He confirmed that smaller axles are indeed known as pups. “Or something cute like that,” he added, grinning.

45. Snerk-a-doodle. Another hubby anecdote: his birthday was Sunday, and because he loves ATVs and I’ve wanted to do this for his birthday since I first met him, I baked him a cake with a toy ATV on top as a decoration. Toy ATVs are inexplicably difficult to find. I finally found a “made for little hands” chunky plastic ATV at the “I don’t wanna grow up” toy store. It came with rider, helmet, removable winch…and OTTER. It came with a plastic otter!! Undaunted, I placed the otter on the cake as a decoration.

P.S. He loved the cake.

46. I imagine it would be much like holding a ferret, only even slicker and more slippery!

47. MommaMackie says:

*Sigh*

Indeed, a great man gone. He definitely had The Cute in his soul.

48. wait… what? why was an otter included?!

49. um. in the second picture, it looks more like a lady otter.

50. Absurd! Your story made me laugh. Wouldn’t the world be a better place if everything came with an otter?

51. As far as I can tell from the picture on the back of the package, it was part of a larger playset with an aquatic theme. The little rider guy had on what looked like a wetsuit.

52. Otterly true!

53. The patron saint of Absurdity, indeed. He will be missed.

54. *hihi*

55. Well with global warming, the scientist’s say it’s going to get Otter.

56. It seems to be fighting a war with its own paw. And losing.

57. But the bebes is called Kits. See Seaworld web site.

58. Um, it depends which appendage :)

59. S.J. Hartsfield says:

Hows about we refer to male otters as otters, female otters as otterettes, and baby otters as otterlings? Seems to make sense to me.

60. I think my cat is going to get a name-change tonight when I get home. Here meowter meowter meowter.

I want it. I also think the picture story goes something like this:

Pic 1: Woah! Who’s paw is that? NOM
    Pic 2: NOMNOM- OUCH!
    Pic 3: *facepalm* it’s just my paw.

61. Here’s a picture, if you’d like to see my husband’s cake dekky, complete with otter:

ott-HAIR!

62. okay, but wouldn’t you expect sharks and other mean, manly, scary animals? giant squid! quick, set “terrain” to “waves!” otters on your six!

or maybe your husband is a kinder, gentler, ATV’er who likes extreme frolicking?

63. that is no mere otter! that is an otter sidekick! your husband is a lucky guy!

64. perfect, except it’s not fair to give the male the default name. how about everyone can be an otter, but males are “fotters?”

65. I also come here and scroll looking for 260 as well. Love it Tater t’otters.

66. Meowters got their names this way: Boy otters are always kind of self-centered but there was one who was REALLY always, like, Me me me !and What’s in it for me? and Well, enough about me – what do YOU think of me? to the point where everyone started yelled ME-Otter! ME-Otter when he came by and he finally got mad and nipped at them, and that’s how the name MeOWter came about.

FYI.

67. So ebil, but oh so cute.

68. @ Sharpy, I like extreme frolicking. Now I must find an otter come with me!

69. And here’s a live video of (possibly) a Meowter & his Queen, holding hands while they float around. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epUk3T2Kfno&feature=youtube_gdata_player. Seriously overwhelming aquatic cuteness!

70. Hello…this otter is a prima otterena jes takin a bow.

71. Has anyone seen the otter attack video? I laughed until I cried:

…I’ll never look at otters the same way again…

72. Sharpy, my husband would VERY aptly be described as a “kinder, gentler, ATV’er who likes extreme frolicking” and I must quote this to him ASAP! :D Still giggling at the otter sidekick…

73. I’ve always said that it was no coincidence that most of my cats’ vocalizations seemed to sound like “ME” and “NOW.” :)

74. The rider’s hands clamp the handlebars. However, the hands can’t clamp the otter, nor can the otter ride the ATV. Doesn’t seem quite fair…

75. Yeah, not in Dictionary.com

76. The Wikipedia article is being edited by someone who is either a troll, or doing their own research paper on the susceptibility of the media and/or general public to accept unreferenced information as genuine.

The Wikipedia article is being reverted, the claims therein refuted and proper references provided.

Also, an otter’s den is *not* called a “couch”, it is called a “holt”.

77. Ah, excuse me. The term “couch” refers to a spot where the otter has squashed the reeds to make a flat spot to rest. It’s not a covered den, that would be a “holt”. So “couch” in reference to otters is a valid term.

78. No, ‘Meowters’ is not a real word. It’s a silly meme being passed around and it’s really inaccurate; hopefully it’ll fade out soon.

Rather than perpetuate inaccuracies, let’s just head over to

When you click that link.. nothing shows up. Wanna know why? No such word as Meowter.

And I think Monterey Bay Aquarium knows a bit more about otters than anyone on this board, eh?