Mastering the “I Miss You” Look

Having found a suitable human family, it is important to keep it on a short leash, as it were, by instilling a feeling of guilt whenever they leave.

Cultivate a wistful, far-away stare to display when your humans leave for work, bowling night, or any activity not centered around you. The use of barriers, like a window or chain-link fence, adds a touch of ironic pathos.

You're seeing a Cocker Spaniel on the side, aren't you?

Photo by ascappatura

Comments

1. That is right Work those sad puppy dog eyes.

IT has a 99.6% Chance of success.

to ge a doggie treat… and smoochies.

2. Pulls up camp chair waiting for Sharpy to find me… lost in the moderation woods.

3. I would never be able to leave this little guy, and I’m not even much of a dog person. When my felines were babies, I wanted to carry them everywhere with me.

4. I get that look every morning from my two furballs. And yes, it works each and every time to instill the proper amount of guilt.

5. Now, just raise your paw a little and pathetically paw at the fence. Now whine softly. Perfect, oscarworthy!

6. My doggie gives me this “how could you possibly be leaving me” look all the time and I just melt. I always have to run back and give an extra smooch!

7. Yay Sharpy to the rescue! (bat man them song playing in the back ground…The TV show)

8. LOL I still like to carry mine everywhere.. and resitance is futile

9. “Don’t mind me. I’ll just wait here for you. If it taaaaaaakes forever…”

10. lurkingsmirk says:

My dog doesn’t have an “I miss you” look. Her face suddenly becomes very blank/neutral when she watches me leave and it is kind of unsettling…

11. first you must answer 3 question:

what is your favorite color?

12. the bug man says:

My pup does this every morning when I go to work. I come out onto the porch with my laptop and travel mug; he gets quiet and his ears go back just a tiny bit, just enough to show me his incipient heartbreak. It gets him more ear skritches and forehead smooches than I can count.

13. Awwwwww. (Beep.)

14. Oh, I know the answer to this one: BLEEN! :mrgreen:

15. Huh. Yeah, there are definitely some differences between dogs and cats. When I leave each morning, I make a point of saying goodbye to each of the four cats individually, wish them all a good day and tell them the estimated time of my return. The look that they all give me is along the lines of “Whatever”.

16. @skippymom

I think my dog must be part cat. He doesn’t care if we leave. He doesn’t care if we come home. All he cares about is getting food.

Of course, he’s a shelter dog with issues, but we knew that going into this. (Kind of.)

17. The Cat Foundation says:

Oh no… I’m a BAD person, I know…. So so sorry.

But the 2 cats I serve, could’t care less when I leave. They seem to think “Finally!”. [sigh]

18. I started giving my dog a Kong treat when I leave for work and now she actually gets excited when I leave because it means time for treats. I can tell where her priorities lie.

19. My boyfriend’s neighbors’ Beagle pup has learned that I keep dog treats in my car. Now when she sees me get home in the evening and occasionally leave in the morning, she runs over for a snack. (Mind you, we live in a rural area on a dead-end street, so not many fences around to keep pupsters in. Which I do not like at all.)

20. *searches post for mod-inducing words*

“dead-end”?

“do not like”?

21. Also, I was curious to see what would happen if I posted a reply on my own comment whilst awaiting moderashun. Time-space continuum seems intact. So far.

22. Whoa! That turned out crazy! Third tier posted while first and second are still in moderation! :shock:

23. I often wonder where the cats think I go when I drive away. Sometimes I imagine that they think it’s their house, and I just come by to take care of them and hang out with them.

24. and my comment somehow jumped above yours even though it wasn’t a reply to anyone

25. *bursts into tears*
    I’m sorry I had to leave puppeh! And I’m not even your owner!!
    WHAAHHHHHH!

26. [SCOWL] :evil:

27. I don’t really know what to make of my dog’s look….. maybe it’s a “come here and pet me” look. But it’s much the same when we leave and when we come back. He usually just stays in his chair. Since we got the little dog, he’ll come greet us, but only cuz he’s jealous.

28. Every time I see that picture, my mouth drops open. And that looks like a shelter gate to me. :(

29. {{{{HUGS}}}}
    ;)

30. The house I grew up in had a large fenced yard, with that kind of chain-link fence. So not necessarily a shelter gate.

31. zippythepoet says:

My girl kitty kind of does that, too, but my big boy kitty most mornings looks at me with big round eyes, rubs against my legs and whines. When my mom comes to visit, she says after I go to work, he sits at the back door and cries, and then knows what time I’m supposed to come home and so sits near the back door until I get home.

32. reminds me of Jupiter the Talking Cat… “I’m going to work now” “So?”
    …I hope this is the right clip http://www.youtube.com/user/klaatu42#p/c/040AC7C9087AC9CD/6/94WcWy67Kfw

33. Thanks Cashew, that was great. It really looks as if Jupiter is talking. The whole thing is very well done. Now I’m hooked (poor pun intended!)

34. Snicker I was just wondering that on my first post up above…

35. Snicker… I was going to say Blue No Yellow…Ahhhhhhhhhh! But Bleen is just so much better.

Hands Brinn a perfectly toasted marshmallow on a stick.

36. I’ll get the (GF) graham crackers! KA, can you bring some of that awesome Ghiradelli chocolate? It’s so much better on s’mores than Hershey’s.

37. Juppie!!! I wuvs him!! He is such a chatterer!!!

38. Poor puppy’s mastered the pathetic look. I hope that he found a “forever” home shortly after this.

My cats tend to roll over, go ‘eh’ and tell me to turn off the light when I go.

39. I’m glad I’m not the only one who gets that reaction when I leave for work. (Coming home, OTOH, is a different story. “When’s dinner? Where’s the food?”)

40. I KNOW that’s what mine think…And they really get mad when the “cook” gets home late to serve them their dinner… Question is, how do they train us do that?!?

41. I don’t know if it’s just me, but I followed that link and this pup doesn’t have a home, and hasn’t been adopted. Maybe instead of maybe a joke, for a change CO could try and promote shelter pup adoption.

42. Well, isn’t it?

43. S.J. Hartsfield says:

Yes, because CO never promotes shelter adoption or other good causes. Maybe people don’t come to this site looking for a guilt trip for not adopting a puppy.

44. AND his pup is actually a maggot! :mrgreen:

45. OMG — what a beautiful puppy! I feel thoroughly guilty :-)

46. reminds me of 400 blows

47. I have two cats and a dog and ALL three have mastered this look. All three turn on their pet power on to 11 as they watch me walk away and their powers are of such magnitude that I often have to come right back in and give them all a cuddle and treat. *sigh* they do have me well trained don’t they?

48. Good gravy, a three-hour moderation because I hope that pup finds a forever home?

I really wasn’t nuffing, I swear!

49. OMG, I just used that line in my history lecture today!!!! Granted, I was talking about the Mongols rather than kitties, but what a weird coincidence!

50. the bug man says:

… Ew.

51. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

A friend of mine and I have a little running Martyr Dialogue gig.
    Among other parts, one segment of it goes, “I’ll just sit here in the dark, knitting these socks for you, by candlelight…”

52. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

(visualizing bug man scritching a maggot, behind ?the ear?).

(shiver)

53. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

@ skippymom: but at least you give them *the opportunity* individually,
    to scorn you! THAT’s bein’ a good skippymom!!! :)

54. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

“there, there”
    (pats Metz on top o’ the haid)

55. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

Please note the skillful way in which this little doggeh accentuates the precise level of internal emotional trauma, indicating that he is so drained
    by his woe and angst, that he has to *rest his lower jaw* on the links of the fence.

PS: Anybody wanna start up a Blues Band?
    I gotta GREAT NAME: “Woe and angst” :(
    (cue mournful blues riff here, please)

56.  the length of time your comment goes into moderation has more to do with my proximity to cupcakes than the nature of your comments.

[now werd that gold ding pink button get to?]

(found it!)

57. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

oh my goodness guess the terms trauma, woe & angst are evidently triggers for the Big Green Moderashun Machine ….

(mournful sigh of resignation)

58. like she’s thinking, “Sure, go ahead and leave, I’ll just….(insert doggie mischief here, such as poop in your shoes, chew on the couch…eat your earphones)

59. i’m a frayed knot. in this case, it’s sheer volume.

60. How tweens-ish/millennial of you.

I’m from the “Donut, argggh” simpson generation.

61. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

“a frayed knot” = WIN!!!! U R Clevaire!!!

and ackshually this was a fairly brief length of time, waiting
    in Moderashun Purgatory…

62. Oh my word, I feel guilty just reading that, and it wasn’t even meant for me. Vicarious guilt.

63. that face…makes me…want to adopt EVERYONE…

64. i personally would buy a spare bag of treats just to make sure it keeps happening

but that’s i personally

65. Every word is true. The pups, they are the masters.

66. So, violet, what have you been doing lately? Hmmm?

67. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! It’s just like tvtropes.com! It sucks you in and makes you want to check out other things so you never leeeaaave!!!!!!! I barely made it back alive!! *pant*

68. Yeah, but there’s browns in the background, not greens. And some whites, which indicate walls. And if you look below at Adopt!’s comment, apparently he hasn’t been adopted.

69. better yet, instead of looking at the puppy and then running back here to tell us about it, why don’t you just adopt the puppy?

70. My friends’ dogs have got this look down pretty well, but they wag their tails when they do it. It’s sort of a, “Oh loooook at us we’re soooooo lonely! Hee hee hee!”
    It’s pretty adorable.

71. The first time I left Wolfgang at the kennel, he didn’t even know what was going to happen and was having a great time sniffing around, until he saw me pulling away in the car, I could hear him whining for half a block.

72. Oh Puppy please don’t do that, I live in England and I’ve got two cats. I know it’s not much of an excuse, but be brave and someone will come and love you. You calculating little……

73. The Cat Foundation says:

Toooooooooooooooooo funny! I simply cracked up, couldn’t stop laughing for ages…… “Ok, you shut up” WHACK…. ha ha ha

74. Kiss, kiss kiss and kiss some more. I’ma just lean against the fence there and make more kissy face with that puppy. If I could I would, but I can’t, so I won’t , but a can tell ya leaning against my monitor just ain’t the same thing.

I have pet rats, now they too can have that “i need you’ look. And when I get home from work they have their faces and paws at the door to come out, falling all over each other to get out first. Maybe they just want food, huh, but I think as they crawl all over me, snuggling under my legs and perching on my lap…they missed me, too.

75. *intices moderator with cupcake* teehee

76. You carry your Mongols everywhere?

77. Doesn’t everyone?

78. Two or three years ago, I had a peep meet-up with KA (along with Oaklandcat and R.Moore), and while I was there I stayed with her. You should’ve seen her collection of Mongol carrying bags! It could rival any fashionista’s designer handbag collection! Stacy & Clinton would be proud.

79. i hope this is not a photo from a shelter. breaks my heart. i hope someone will take this lil guy home. *cries*

80. The only real problem I have with it is that it encourages her to run across the street to my boyfriend’s house. In my wee tiny car (they call it the Purple Egg), I can see her. But my bf and his friend drive big ginormous monster trucks (hardcore country boys, they are) and can’t see her as well when she’s running around their giant tires. I worry about her getting run over. Not that it stopped me from giving her another treat this morning, mind you.

81. *puts on the Hat of Denial* No, this puppy is spoiled rotten and living in someone’s huge backyard where he has more than enough room to run around.

82. Very masterfully done, I would tewtally fall for that look. But , sometimes, you don’t have to leave them behind, you just have to keep them indoors on a beautiful day:

83. dawnkeyotie says:

Coffee through the nose. Thanks.

84. dawnkeyotie says:

mmm maggot kisses!

85. dawnkeyotie says:

Beagle? Is that the mod-alert word? Snack? Perhaps Morning (which IS a dirty word)

86. dawnkeyotie says:

:-O You know, Sharpy, I think I love you. Like that Partridge Family guy loves you.

87. Oh, I agree. “Morning” really is a dirty word!

88. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

Nice Hat, there, Brinnann! :)

89. Thanks! If I’m not mistaken, I got the idea from you a loooong time ago. At least, I think it was you…

90. Maybe you should park in front of her house….

91. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, that’s not such a bad idea! Maybe my boyfriend would stop getting nervous, thinking that I’ve just about moved in.

92. I keep telling him that he doesn’t need to worry, because I haven’t moved in unless I bring furniture. :lol:

93. Goldie Cat says:

My poor Cornelius, the fuzzy bugger, would give me a look that said ‘Where are you going? Are you gunna come back?’ and when I opened the door oh the meowing, purrings, and droolings. It was like being welcomed home by a St. Bernard, only it was a cat.

94. TrixandSam says:

My little kitty Angel (who happens to be a true angel now) drooled like a leaky water balloon. Her meows turned gurgly! Talk about a hilarious sound: it sounded like she was meowing-gargling-yodeling all at once!

95. yay! love is the best!

SNARK! in the name of love!