What a Blowhard

“…And then I went back to the market to return said sea cucumber because it didn’t really mesh with the seaweed salad I had planned for that night’s dinner. But wouldn’t you know it, the market was closed, which was unfortunate on obvious levels but also because I needed a sponge. Anyhoo, long story short, I got very little done, but then I met you, and well, now here we are. Nice to meet you, my name is Bob.”

Way to catch the most uninteresting creature in the sea, Brendan.

Comments

1. Yeah, but do you take the red one, or the blue one?

2. WHAT’S CHEWELS PRECIOUS

3. muttluver says:

I want to sploosh him.

4. omg bebeh feeeesh! totally having a conversation.

5. What a tiny adorable marble! And it talks. Even better.

6. wtf is it?

7. It looks to me like a baby pufferfish and by handling it in such a fashion (ie he’s blown up AND its out of the water) the person is significantly shortening its life!! Put it back now!!!

8. To Evil Cat….it’s a blowfish.

9. He’s ridiiiiculous!! Loves it!

10. Very pleased to meet you, Bob.

11. Some where in another pair of hands beloning to a clawfingerd swimmer, you’ll find Mama-Blowfish. Probably singing a P.J Harvey tune:

“Little fish. big fish. swimming in the water.
    Come back here, man. gimme my daughter.”

(Not only Hootie & the Blowfish records in her collection)

12. ps. and yes Bob is short for Bobelina (daughter) ds.

13. You’re adorbs! And I don’t even like seaweed salad.

14. I’m out of the water. That blows!

15. Why do people persist in doing what is actually a very cruel thing – he will KEEL the little baby pufferfish! :-(

16. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

isn’t that the guy who sat next to me on the plane? ‘)

(…to make a long story short…got little done….ha ha)

17. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

THERE WAS S[POSED to be a winky emoticon there let’st try again
    ;)

18. asdfghjkl@lkjhgfs.com says:

Ruh-DONK!!! I LOVE HEEM!!!!1! I want to cuddle heem right NOOOOO!!!!!!

19. I’m sorry, did you say “Bob” or “Blob”?

20. So… this is the guy with no arms and no legs in the water… named Bob… get it? Huh? Oh man I got lots more of those…

(btw he’s cuter than the average Bob!)

21. Adorable, but…
    It’s a fish! put it back in the water, it’s DYING!!

Okay, had to get that off my chest. I’m all for CO only posting pictures
    that are a little more considerate of the animals…and doesn’t almost
    kill them.

22. Martha in Washington says:

@SoCalSis–And Art is on the wall and Matt is on the front porch.

Bob is adorablob…er, adorabob…oh, you know what I mean!

23. cyberpunkrocker says:

Blob! A teeny blob!

24. @SoCalSis: No arms no legs in a hot tub? Stew. No arms no legs in a hole? Phil. No arms no legs with a shovel? Doug. No arms no legs against a fence? Ilene.

… my dad loves those…

25. Meethinks it’s the earth version of the Babel fish! :-)

Just don’t put him in your ear if Vogons are nearby! ;-)

26. @SoCalSis– Guy with no legs below the knees? Neil.
    Gal with one leg below the knee? Eileen.
    No arms, no legs in a marijuana field? Bud.
    No arms, no legs, on the baseball team? First base. :mrgreen:

27. PS: In a pile of leaves? Russell.

OK, I’ll stop.

28. This is NOT cute at all.

It’s EVIL.

He’s killing the poor little fish by keeping it out of water. It’s the equivalence of keeping a kitten under water.

How is that cute??

29. Pudding, anyone? (plops down in a recliner with a bowl of popcorn to watch the nuff-throwdown.)

30. I got moderated!!!! woohooooooo!! Do your worst, Sharpie!!!

31. warrior rabbit says:

Come on, people, step it up. We’ve got a long way to go before we come anywhere near the blowfish ‘you’re killing him’ commentroversy of 2007. (262)

32. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

@ Dash: Are you, in actuality, (shiver)
    the Black Knight, from M. Python/ H. Grail??? I was having flashbacks there,
    for a minnit!!! :)

33. Wow – what is this little creature ? You are so very lucky.

34. I didn’t think anyone would or could object to this cute photo.
    “Ohh put him back” “you’re keeling him”
    Un-freeking-believable! LOL!

35. superbunny says:

Reminds me of the adorable baby squid I saw while snorkelling in the Carribean. Why are baby “anythings” so cute?

36. Oooh, so cute but please tell me he was returned to the sea pronto?

37. As cute as McBlubberson is, it also makes me nervous to see the porr little fish out of the water. The fact that it’s a photo also makes it seem like fish is out of water forever… :(

38. It may seem like he’ll never return to the sea… because this picture will FOREVER SHOW US THIS LITTLE GUY OUT OF THE WATER. That picture may have been taken forever ago, don’t you guys think about that? Maybe that fish really died in the OP’s hand. Or got munched and exploded in his natural predator’s mouth. Or got skewered by a rainbow narwhal. Geez.

*puffs up like Mister Bob Blowfishie Bubbleson*

39. @Ali-Baba — kudos for the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy reference!

Not to be a nuffer, well, okay, I guess I’m nuffing, but I don’t like seeing fish out of water. It makes me feel like I’m suffocating… :(

Get that photog an underwater camera, pronto!

40. I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy.

41. ” Oh my day job, I’m a full stop. “

42. Azzy Gromgol says:

he is too cute!!! yet he will grow up to be a flesh eating killing machine… awhh….. :)

43. MommaMackie says:

I do beadwork and I’d love to see a glass bead maker have a go at reproducing this little guy’s beauty. At life size, he’d be just right for a lovely centerpiece for a very organic necklace.

44. warrior rabbit says:

That was weird, I put the link to the old commentroversy in my first comment, so the comment would make sense. Where’d it go? Hmm. Well. Baby blowfish blow-up:

45. StormCat42 says:

Ok, everyone repeat after me… “The nice hooman quickly took the picture, and then gently placed the teeny little bubble-fish back in the water, to live out his days swimming amongst his friends.” Ok, all better now…

Yes, the world is pretty and perfect where I live, so I choose to live with the thought that this fish was placed back where he belongs…

Oh, and almost forgot… SSSQQQEEEEEE What a qte wee one!!!! :)

46. snorglepup says:

I would so love a necklace of glass blowfish beads!

47. snorglepup says:

Thank you, StormCat. I too choose that reality.

48. LeAnn (not LeAnna or Lee Ann) says:

Mini-blorp!

49. I’m going to give the photographer the benefit of the doubt, which nobody else freaking out seemed to consider that perhaps the guy just took it out, *click* and put it back in. Judging by the quality of the picture, not a lot of effort was put into it.

Most people who keep fish, including myself, have to take the fish out of water for short periods of time, like 2 seconds, which is all it could have taken to snap this picture while the fishy was out of water. Seriously guys :/ I’ve had to emerge fish smaller than that to move them from tank to tank and they live. That very well could have been the case.

50. flutterby says:

Puff the magic blowfish, lives in the sea near a magic land called Honnalee!

51. flutterby says:

I can’t sing…can’t type for beans either! Trying to remember words to Puff The Magic Dragon….*sigh*

52. every time I see I puffer fish out of water I get a little sad… but I also laugh and go “awwwwww!”

so conflicted!

53. @flutterby…”and frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honnalee”

Brings back memories of listening to Peter, Paul and Mary with my grandfather as we drove to our secret fishing spots, when I was a kid. Man, good times.

54. That is by far the funniest CO description I’ve seen yet!
    “Anyhoo, long story short, I got very little done, but then I met you, and well, now here we are. Nice to meet you, my name is Bob.”

55. Thank you Gaz! I loved the song.

I, too, feel sowwy for feesh out of water, especially with my angelfish “Friendly” looking over my shoulder!

56. My bad…he’s waiting for his bloodworm breakfast! *urk*

57. @stormcat42

>>Yes, the world is pretty and perfect where I live, so I choose to live with the thought that [insert wishful thought here]

that’s practically the cuteoverload.com slogan!

58. I choose to believe Mr Bob was put back and is bob bob bobbing along.

59. A Fistful of Blorp!

60. The issue with what’s happening here, is that puffers who are forced to inflate out of water are not usually able to expel all of the oxygen from their body cavity, even after being put back in the water. Best case scenario, this fish puffed up under water, and will suffer little more than extreme stress. Worst case, he can’t expel all the air, loses the ability to properly regulate his buoyancy, and dies, regardless of whether or not he was put back. Encouraging a puffer to blow up like this is strongly frowned upon in the aquarium community, and there is no arguing that the practice is tremendously cruel. I liken it to beating a dog just so you can capture “cute” whimpering noises.

61. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

….um….flutterbye….um….how Tall is your Angelfish???

(cue the ominous background “Jaws” music).

Signed,
    He’s right behind me, isn’t he?????????

62. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

Also @ flutterbye (specifically comment # 52):

et voila. Cliquez-vous, si’l vous plait!!! :)

63. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

And @ Hon Glad: :) :)

— Were you aware, that in the recent few weeks (at the moment I feel too DANG LAZY to source out the specific) the date which is something like
    National (‘Mericun?) Punctuation Day …just ocurred?? :)

approx 3 weeks ago Friday…..

64. O NO – We ell, I did nt not no never know that. British bad punctuation thirty seconds.

65. So moist and blobular! I’d kiss it on its little head, if it had one (and I had toxin-block lipgloss)

I love when they swim with their wee finnerettes and look like they’re smiling.

66. Glass bead or bebeh puffer fish? No one knows.

67. o that’s really nice. harass the sea life why don’t u.

68. (The Original) Mel says:

Having grown up on a beach, surfing and diving, I can safely say that sometimes you just find puffer fish and they puff up. It’s not like you make them puff up on porpoise. Also, it’s the ocean. You could get eaten, stabbed or stung at any time. Life’s tough out there. Take a lot of pictures.

69. Not to fan the flames of commentroversy…but oh what the heck…I suppose all of you nuffers are vegetarian or vegan, then?

70. Heh, yeah.. Ricky is right though… puffers are made to inflate with water. If they inflate while out of the water, and inflate with air instead.. they can’t expel air. Only water. So you put em back in the water and they can’t un-puff and the air just stays inside them, then they, well, die. :P But as Mel said, life IS tough. Maybe this will teach em to evolve a way to expel that air! Hehe.

And omg he is perfectly round, that is so awesome.

71. @melissa

why does this make me think of an excellent description of nuffers? something about being filled with air, being unable to un-nuff whilst among the qte and therefore unable to absorb the life-giving powers of cuteoverload?

72. His big brother:

wot?

73. Uninteresting?!? I think any critter who can expand to several times its normal size is awesomely interesting! Hope he was returned to his proper watery habitat stat after the photo.

Side note: When I was a kid, my family went fishing and my mom caught a blowfish. It promptly started making noises that sounded exactly like a puppy whimpering, and she made my dad release it because she felt sorry for it! Dad tossed it back, and no sooner did it hit the water than it deflated and dove for the bottom.

74. well said, ricky. that was my only concern with this photo; a fish out of water and quickly placed back in water, no problem, but to risk harming a puffer fish by making him inhale air is cruel. it stresses them out enough to inhale water for protection.

you used the perfect analogy with the whimpering dog.

and comments like this scare me!

“Gigi 10.20.10 at 5:00 am

I didn’t think anyone would or could object to this cute photo.
    “Ohh put him back” “you’re keeling him”
    Un-freeking-believable! LOL!

i hope you don’t have responsibility for any pets. “LOL”.

75. I really hate seeing photos of puffer fish puffed up out of water or caused to puff up. This little dude is already starting to dry out (notice the man’s hands are dry, and you can see the trail of wet coming from the puffer’s mouth).

Each puff (in or out of water) shortens their lifespan, and puffing out of water can cause eventual death. It looks “cute” while doing it, sure, but it really isn’t cute…

Before you accuse me of being a “nuffer”, this is the equivalent of taking a photo of a young cat held under water because it’s cute under water, somehow. Sure, it might have been taken out of the water moments later and been fine, but in my books, that ain’t cute, because the possibility of further taunting/abuse, lasting injury or death is present.

76. There is even an OS which is using the fish for a mascot.

Click on the image to see much more puffy artwork.

77. @eoz

i think the nuffin on the puffer is probably okay in this case. i didn’t know this stuff about puffer fish and maybe other people didn’t either. probably better not to hold them out of the water for pictures.

i’m also not partial to wet- or scary-looking things with features that look like faces but really aren’t. bring it on, spider lovers.

78. pop it! i bet its blood is SOOOO cute!

79. “Uninteresting”?–hmmm. Mebbe. But hees soo cute! And chatty!

80. I LOVE puffer fish!!!!

81. It’s like someone had a spare crayon thought “hey, let’s draw patterns on a leetle fishie.”