Son of Come on in, The Water’s Fine

While Lord Bulldog McWadingpool back there loves to splash the water, some animals have to be dragged into it. Turns out that baby otters have to be taught how to swim, and Mom can be one tough swim coach.

Update: Submitted by Sasha’s Mum! (New! Now with more “S” goodness!)

Comments

1. I’m reeaaaally glad my mum didn’t teach me by pushing me underwater. “DIVE! *shove*” I’m sure my face woulda looked like that ottah’s though o__o

2. I was four when I had my first swimming lesson. The teacher literally threw me in the pool to see what reaction I’d have.

My mother’s reaction was to jump in and fetch her drowning child. Luckily her second reaction wasn’t to deck the swimming teacher.

3. OTTERZ! *Marnie voice* Wheeeeeeee!

4. PS: BEEP! BEEP!

5. I LOLed soooo hard at about :25, when mamma tries to pull the babeh in the water by his feet. “Moooooom, I said no! It’s cold! I don’t wanna! I DUNWANNA!!!!”

6. Sometimes tough love is love paid forward. An otter afraid of water is D-E-D deed. :P

7. Awwww. I had no idea that they had to be taught to swim. So cool.
    And awwww at the lil bebeh otter resisting to get in to the water! lol

8. That was amazing! Thank you so much for the chance to see this!

9. 0:27 – priceless!!! “But I don’t WANNA have a bath, Mum!!” Tooooo funny!

10. And then Mom said “Get back in here!”

11. awwww… what a good mom-meee!

12. I. Love. Otter. Mom. Did you see teh tongue?

13. “Too adorable for words” indeed!

14. I’m having quite a lousy day, this video brought tears to my eyes for some reason. So sweet and patient and loving. I miss my momma. :( *tears*

15. Heh – so it’s Mom that teaches the young otters how to swim, hm? With me, it was Dad doing that, but for the same reason. (After all, when you’re a diver who’s done nearly every kind of dive possible, wouldn’t you want your kids to be the same?)

…and no, I don’t dive. But I do snorkeling just fine and am at home in the water as well.

16. “Aaagh! Aaagh! Mom’s trying to drown me!!!”

17. With me and my mom it was the other way around. I was pulling her in the water and trying to teach her to swim and she didn’t want to go in and get her hair wet LOL!!!

18. rorschach89 says:

Adorable AND educational. Who could ask for anything more?

19. So cute. What a good otter mom. Looks like everything went swimmingly.

20. Sasha's Mum says:

Ok, I submitted that video back in July. Harumph.

Going away now to sulk and pout.

21. S.J. Hartsfield says:

“Get in the water, Otto.”
    “No I don’t wanna.”
    “Get in the *water*, Otto.”
    “No I don’t wanna!”
    “Get! In! The water!”
    “NOOO!”

22. Otters are CUTE (http://www.cuteheaven.com/?s=otter)
    Have u ever seen an otter?

23. Hmm, just saw something like this on the History Channel, it was an episode of Making The Cut, where Air Force PJ candidates get their faces splashed with water and dragged down into the pool if they attempt to surface too early. That’s some tough love right there.

Sink or swim followed by enforced naps. That doesn’t sound like too much fun does it?

At least there was a brief moment of encouragement at 0:39 (immediately followed by shoving of face down the water of course).

24. OK – that may be the first cute, but sad video that didn’t make me cry. That was GREAT!

25. Oh, I love how careful, but firm, she was with the wee little one! She’s all like, “Yes, you really have to do this, but I am right here”, and she is always right there, whether with a shove under water, or an encouraging nudge up for air, whichever might be needed at that particular instant.
    For some reason, I really miss my Mom right now.

26. I remember when my daughter wouldn’t come out of the pool and her lips started to turn blue. When the baby otter was shaking, I bet his lips were blue but you just couldn’t tell. lol

27. This could be the cutest video I’ve ever seen. Nature never ceases to amaze. Who knew the mom had to teach the cub to swim? And then back to the den for a nap? Incredibly precious. So smart.
    After an evening playing outside with the other kids, mom would pop me in a warm bath, towel off and straight to bed. Best way to get a kid to sleep.
    I loved my swimming lessons and at 3 or 4 years, would jump into the deep end by myself, thereby giving my non-swimming mother a heart attack (the swim teacher was present).

28. Such a good mom! But that baby NO wanna. That was awesome.

29. His butt end is more floaty.

30. Sasha's Mum says:

Yay! Thanks for the acknowledgement! No more sulking, I promise. Not even for spelling Sasha’s name wrong. (But she can’t spell either, so that’s ok.)

BTW, that’s pretty much how I learned to swim …

31. OMG so cute! THIS really IS a cuteoverload! My heart exploded

32. How cute, though the pup didn’t seem greatly enamored of the experience. Hope other parents didn’t see the mother hold pup’s head under water; they’d call CPS!

33. paulajeanne says:

Oh that leg tug did it for me! Wonder how many times she had to do that!

34. My heart exploded too! OHMYGOD The wonders of nature….

35. cattymama says:

I agree this is the definition of cute overload. we haz lots of otters in Florida, you see them running around out of the water occasionally.

36. kibblenibble says:

Birdcage: LOL!

37. I love how she drags him OUT of the water at the end. :)

38. I *thought* that the “Zoo” logo in the corner and the habitat looked familiar! Yay for the Columbus Zoo! Last time I visited, the otter exhibit was closed, and I had a sad about it. I love watching them swim and play. Since they’ve reopened it, I think it’s about time for another visit! ^_^

39. @alice

>>I’m having quite a lousy day, this video brought tears to my eyes for some reason. So sweet and patient and loving. I miss my momma. :( *tears*

here, i’ll turn on the wipers for ya.

and put this on on your paw: *pat, pat*

40. OMG – this is one of the most amazing things I’ve even seen – never knew a Mommy Otter had to teach her babies how to swim – totally amazing!!!

41. I like the parts where she grabs him by the *face* – very glad my mom had nice soft hands and arms to grab me with and didn’t have to bite me all the time.

42. Otterly bonkers

43. I better sign up with Otter Mom, I still can’t swim. :(

44. Hon Glad, I don’t think her method works for humans. My dad tried similar methods with me and I can’t even float – and am terrified to try.

Could be it depends on the human, though…

45. That’s one of the funniest things I’ve seen in a long time!

46. flutterby says:

Otterly shweet!

47. Rappenwolf says:

I love her dragging baby by the leg back into the water.

48. Sasha's Mum says:

((( Alice )))

49. I sooo identify with Mommy Otter. The pup hopelessly trying to escape the inevitable at 0.25 is exactly my son’s reaction to my efforts to teach him orthography (Polish orthography – that’s a killer, believe me).

50. OMG. Cutest video in a long time. Love, love, love the baby resisting swimming lessons! Mom is one tough teacher!

51. BatBlaster says:

Lontra canadensis They have some in the aquarium out east. I have lotsa pics btw.

52. I wonder how many times mom has to run after and drag her babies back in. “Hey, get back here., you’ll thank me for this some day” (yes, I believe every mother says that)

53. Queen of Dork says:

I never knew that! I. Love. OTTERS! And I love this video and the banjo music! :) This for sure caused me to feel such a happy!

54. TrixAndSam says:

@Joasia (#49):
    Holy smokes! You took me back to my Saturday Polish School classes.
    W Szczebrzeszynie chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie i Szczebrzeszyn z tego słynie.

55. @TrixAnd Sam: Yep. My son copes with dyslexia. The video makes me wonder: can otters suffer from dys-splash-ia?

56. Mary (the first) says:

I finally got a chance to catch up on CO and watch this.. how sweet is this! And the soft-kronsching of any body part (ear, toes,) to pull the babeh where he needs to be (in the water.. out of the water.. under the water, etc.) Truly CO material!

57. “Nyooooo mom, not the water! Nyoooooooo”

58. mom calls her teechen: sings you “otter” know! (my total bad)

59. kokobutterbuns says:

This, literally, is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen!

60. My swimming babies absolutely love it in the water. They are so cute!!!

61. Isn’t it weird how some baby animals that spend part of the time in the water naturally have the instinct to swim and others…well…

I love it anyway :)

62. Yes, it’s adorable. Of course, if it had been a human caretaker forcing the baby otter into the water against its will, everyone would be up in arms and on their high horses, calling animal abuse.