The Extremely Rare Triple Hmmph

It all started at the Rotary Club picnic, when Bob told Stan his barbecue sauce was a little too tangy this year, and Stan said no it was just fine and besides Bob was one to talk because he always puts so much salt in his potato salad that the old folks on the low-sodium diets won’t go near the stuff, and then Larry tried to calm them down but they told him get lost Larry you didn’t even bring anything you freeloader, and now they’re not speaking to each other.

Photo by Tony Alter, who also shared the real story: “I had Jimmy Dean, Frank and Link out back when a couple of Jets, heading to Langley AFB, flew over – they caught the attention of all three of them.”

Comments

1. International relations between the cockapoos and the weiner dawgs have broke DOOOWN! Nuuu!

2. “And the scent of turkey filled the air….”

or maybe they were singing a-la-barbershop-trio (that isn’t even a real thing…) and the shot was captured between words. Yeah, I like that one!

3. That is the CUTEST thing I’ve seen in a while! WOW!!!!

4. “Jimmy Dean, Frank, and Link” LOL You need some Beans with that!

5. The Names…. People… The Names are a WIN all on their own!
    HEhehehehehehe!!!!!

6. thelibrarianne says:

Best dachshund names EVER.

7. Kiragirl Jinx..

8. dawnkeyotie says:

haha, love the naming of those guys. tubular meats! next one will be named kielbasa, perhaps? bratwurst? vienna?

9. Dawn, I was thinking Oscar.

10. Hey, enough with the dog whistle!

11. AWESOME picture and great narrative, NTMTOM!

12. Interesting audition tape for “America’s Got Talent”…..

13. Darrelle Revis and LaDanian Tomlinson flew over? That would be a sight to see. Though… if it was only a couple of them, one of those dogs doesn’t have a very good sense of direction.

14. Fabulous picture — and love the three degrees of weiner dog.

15. Yay for a Hampton Roads peep making it into CO :)

16. Kiragirl, I like the beans idea but think it should be a cat. It would make nice contrast.

17. Three cheers for this awesome photo! Are those all different flavors of dachshund?

18. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

wow NTM is good, with them there Deep-South style run-on sentences !!!

Also:
    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv-RRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!

19. KittyMarthaPoo says:

Awesome names.

If I had a Weiner dog, I would name him Beanz :) Or Oscar, like in Oscar Mayer.

20. Oh. My. Goodness!!!

Those puppehs are exquisitely beautiful – the pose, the shine, the long flowing manes…!

And NTMTOM’s narrative is, as always, brilliant!

21. victoreia says:

@Happy: I was thinking an “Beans” should be a cat, too!

22. Queen of Dork says:

As usual, I was wondering where NTMTOM was going with the story and then I scrolled down to the picture and BURST OUT LAUGHING! :)

23. @Happy, I agree. Kitteh-friend should be named Pinto.

And NTMTOM’s narrative is so reminiscent of my family reunions, it’s almost painful. *sigh*

24. “Well guys that cat has got to come off the porch roof soon and when it does we are ready, aren’t we gentlemen.”

25. I actually guffawed!

26. Dachshunds are automatically cute, tubular meat name or not! End of story.

27. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

and (waving) Hi Hon Glad: are you back, from being a Cretin? ;)

28. When I say Weiner you say Dog! GO MEAT!

29. victoreia says:

@Noelegy: ROTFLOL!

30. I only scrolled half way down the picture and I tough:
    If that’s Cerberus guarding the door to Hades, I won’t mind the next time someone tells me Go to H***. LOL!

31. I thought I was so funny naming my dachshund pups Oscar and Frank, but Jimmy Dean is too cute.

32. My puppy looks just like the one on the right! (http://handvolldackel.wordpress.com/2010/09/23/hubscher/) Doesn’t do the hmmph yet, though.

33. annoyinglittletwerp says:

Cara: When I was growing up we had a black/tan short-haired named ‘Moshe’-after Moshe Dayan-and he was HUGE…for a Doxie.
    I think his parents were actually from Germany.
    Are German Dachshunds bigger than the US variety?

34. 260Oakley says:

Beware the deadly Tricerapups!

35. Wafflecat says:

OH! The middle one could be related to my mini doxiepoo Oscar! He’s slightly more apricot colored with a black nose but has that same curly coat. I rescued him 3 years ago from a pound several states over–he was to be put down at the end of that week. Adopting him was one of the best things I’ve ever done, he’s my sweetie and quite romantic ; ) I call him my little furry caterpillar–his little legs (porkchops) are only about 4 inches long!!

36. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

@ Noelegy:

I myself am fiercely Disapproving of 99.7 % of television commercials.

The Hillshire commercials are among the .3 % (NOT 3%, ” POINT/three %”!!!!)
    of commercials, which I can actually state I do enjoy.

Is an Officially Nerdy Caucasian, allowed to use the following Affirmation?

Signed,
    Word.

37. ok, that is TOO CUTE!

Howdy from a fellow Hampton Roads-er!! Gotta love that jet noise!

38. lol the picture is perfect, but the names makes it even better

39. crazyweinerdoglady says:

As The Crazy Weinerdog Lady I find this post EXCELLENT!
    I know a Mastiff named Jimmy Dean but my dachshunds are Leopold Von Weinerschnitzel and Fritz Reuben on Rye with Extra Kraut. I LOVE the name Link!

40. I love coming here. The photos and captions are amazing and funny, but the comments take everything over the top!

Never thought of naming doxies after meat, but it makes sense. My favorite name is @crazyweinerdoglady, “Fritz Reuben on Rye with Extra Kraut.” !!!!!! :)

And @ Cara – your baby is so sweet. Thanks for sharing!

41. paulajeanne says:

I would love to skritch those lovely exposed throats.

42. Awwwww. My own weinerbaby is sick right now so this post made me smile in a kinda sad way.

43. kibblenibble says:

Birdcage, I’m sending my best wishes for the speedy recovery of your weinerbaby. BTW, my friend has one named Abigail von Weiner.

44. Bottle Green says:

OMG awesome dog names

45. Dear Mike (but no the other Mike),

I always enjoy your posts, very funny, keep up the good work.

Fin (the only one)

46. Sara-bell says:

Not only is Hampton Roads (usta be the Tidwater Area) represented by a glorious photo – but by 3 commenters too – gooooo us!
    Love the jet noise & the adorable weinerbabies!

47. Sara-bell says:

Ok, Tidewater Area. That ‘e’ got away from me.

48. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

Birdcage: I (and most likely, the royal “we” of CO) send you lots of sympathy, good karma, prayers, and also rainbow glitter with healing properties.

Let us know how he/ she does, ‘k? :)

49. Stressfactor says:

Considering the story about the jet and knowing how fast jets fly the three handsome pooches could also be interpreted as going: “Here it comes!” “Here it is!” “There it goes.”

50. Too funny, and I love the names. Following other commenters above, I vote a fourth dog be named “Brat.”

51. @stressfactor: So true! Hahaha!
    @wafflecat: Cute adoption story!

52. soxfan413 says:

Annoyinglittletwerp:
    Dachshunds in the AKC are categorized as either miniature or standard, and in 3 coat types, smooth, long-haired and wire-haired. So it sounds like your childhood dog was a standard doxie. Neat! I rarely see the standards around here! Of course, I realize that doesn’t really answer your question… there might be more standard Dachshunds in Germany. I really don’t know.

These 3 dogs are adorable. What a GREAT shot.

53. i know what happened.

missing-man formation flew overhead, and each docker picked a plane to salute.

me too.

54. P.S. i didn’t even read the description when i wrote that. Not a word. Just the title. But that’s more about me than about the badger-hounds. I bet a snorgle would get their attention.

55. P.P.S. if the one on the left has no rear legs…or rear end…then he’s a penguin. Just in case anyone’s wondering.

56. annoyinglittletwerp says:

soxfan413: Moshe was a large standard. He weighed about 20 lbs-all muscle.
    Btw: Are you a fan of the Red Sox or the White Sox?
    I love my Cubbies.
    *grin*

57. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

@ Stressfactor: :) :)

58. WOW!

Next Dog gets named Pudding. ;)

59. PS: Lest we forget:

60. PPS: “Can I get another ‘Harrumph’ here?”

61. I’ll have one scoop of each, please!

62. I am in love. Three adorable yet regal doggies…all three looking in different directions but thinking the same thing: “What the heck was THAT?!”

63. My Husky just growled at the screen haha, I think it was jealousy. Also, I linked/recommended your blog in my recent post (http://bloggerlisted.blogspot.com/2010/10/few-blogs-that-deserve-second-look.html) and wanted to make you aware so there were no surprises. Keep up the great work!

64. O No – Kalimera sas Kiria.

65. @annoyinglittletwerp: what soxfan said. In Germany you get doxies in standard, dwarf or mini (“rabbit”-size in German, not actually the size of a rabbit, more like “bred for hunting the rabbit”). Nowadays dwarfs are the popular size, they weigh between four and six or seven kilos. Standards can weigh up to and more than nine kilos and can be quite huge, they were popular in the 1970ies in Germany. I grew up with a black/tan short hair, too!
    So, unfortunately, I have no idea if German dachshunds are bigger than the US-variety. Maybe I should travel the States with the doxie, you know, just to compare ;)

66. I should send my cat Beans over to visit…then they’d be in a pickle… LOVE the dog names SUPERB!!!!!!! It’s a hoot looking up their noses!!!

67. Best names ever!

68. Dachshunds are so adorable :)
    Is the the middle one also a wiener? He has bout an uncommon colour and fur-layout (for the lack of a better word)

69. I’ve always been a complete sucker for Synchronized Mismate Dogs.

70. soxfan413 says:

annoyinglittletwerp: I am of the Red Sox variety. Love my Sox!

71. KittyMarthaPoo says:

That Dachsund Road Rage tape was AWESOME! What a great way to give your herd of Weenies a bit of exercise.

72. that is pretty cool to get them to all do that at once.

73. I love it! eu amei …bjus bjus bjus
    blog MariaAssanhada
    Brasil

74. If I had three dachels they’d be chorizo, salami and pastrami. I’m porsh that way.

Although, of course, Walls, Cumbria and Toulouse would also work …

75. I think he needs a wirehaired daschund to complete his set.

76. @Birdcage, all good thoughts and prayers for your weinerbaby. Lots of gentle hugs and smooches for him/her as well. *hug*

77. It’s a Fleur de Dog!

78. flutterby says:

Echoes Rachel with prayers for Birdcage’s anipal and hugs for Birdcage!! Please do keep us posted….

79. This photo is definitely Tri-Umph-ant!

Umph! Umph! Umph!

80. violetgreen says:

The names FTW! Reminds me that a childhood friend’s dachshunds were named Trumpet and Pretzel.

81. PPS: RE: NTMTOM’s breeliant captioning (Yay Nomtom!): My retired Dad lives in Florida, and yeah, that’s pretty much the way it is. :D

82. NTMTOM you totally crack me up with the narratives. The picture is the cherry on top.
    I have two daschshunds. I have a smooth & wirehaired.
    I know the two on the outsides are dachsies. The Tan/black is smoothcoat, the other is a longhair. The middle fella…I don’t know what the thunder that is. But, they are all so flippin cute.
    This picture is a real winner. For some reason looking at the picture I hear this cartoon character in my head saying “which way he did go? Which way did he go?” But, I don’t remember what cartoon that is from.

83. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

Hola, Theresa!!

I was gonna try to send or post something for you during the weekend…my news/ history headlines thinggie, had a nice little bit, about the birthdate of (I think it was ) Verdi in the past few days. It had a nice little graphic, etc. The reference mentioned that his birth is believed to have been on either Oct 9th or 10th. I didn’t see any postings from you over the weekend so DC must have kept you busy.

Anyhow; I don’t know, if you knew this little scrap about (?) Verdi. I don’t have the reference in front of me at this moment so it could have been one of the other opera luminaries, but my memory seems to have Verdi in that file folder …

Peace.

84. @mplsdeb – I’m thinking Foghorn Leghorn?

85. Becky, Bubba's mum says:

Very rare, indeed. Notice the symmetry, the contrast between shaggy and smooth. Great picture. Cute puppies!

86. Fleurdamour says:

The famous Triple Dog Dare

87. *taps foot*

88. @starling

>>My last message has been awaiting moderation for an awfully long time. Was it because I said chorizo?

naw, just felt like being a poop. ;)

89. Denise A. says:

@260Oakley: If you cross its path, quickly recite the dachsology.

I shall have to go to confession for that one.

90. I have 2 wire-hair doxies and one of them has an apricot coat that gets very kinky curly like the middle one in this pic. I rescued them, so I don’t know for sure…but I think he might be a long-hair/wire-hair cross.

91. 260Oakley says:

@Denise A.
    Still giggling over “dachsology”. Do a little penance for me while you’re at it, OK?

92. Denise A. says:

No penance necessary for you, Oakley-sensei. You embody the Great Pun-ness, and therefore must already have achieved Enlightenment.
    High praise from the master!

93. JIMMY DEAN, FRANK, AND LINK.

oh god. I just died three times reading that. Redonkulous.

94. Stressfactor 10.11.10 at 6:54 pm
    LOL!!
    P.S. how to tell when someone has just moved into Hampton Rds area—
    they look up when the jets pass over head. :)

95. smallthunder says:

Oy! What a great picture, and yes, the names are To Die For! Especially that “Jimmy Dean”!
    My last light-colored doxie was unusually long, so I named her “Fettuccine” — I thought that was pretty good, name-wise, ’til now …
    And I might just steal “Chorizo” as a name in the near future.

96. warrior rabbit says:

Or maybe… Andouille. Andy for short.

97. smallthunder says:

How about a little girl doxie named Vienna?

98. darkshines says: