THIS JUST IN: Tiger Surprise!

Germany’s Frankfurt Zoo had a surprise; not only did they have their first tiger cub born in 26 years, but to a mother they thought was infertile. The zoo is raising the female, named Daseep, by hand because her mother rejected her (apparently, first-time tiger moms do that sometimes, so don’t be too sad).

They subjected her to a battery of tests, including… THE ANNOY-O-TRON 3000!

Once the cub is sufficiently annoyed, it is deemed to be mentally healthy.

Comments

1. Want…to…cuddle..NOOOOOOOWWWWW!!! What a cute little muffin head!

P.S. FIRST!

2. hear me rrrrooooaaaarrrrr

3. And that’s the reaction of most people to the papparazzi! :-D

4. Aww she’s so maaaad!

5. victoreia says:

Ummm, shouldn’t the paparazzi back up some more? Kitteh looks seriously annoyed…….

6. Soooo cute with his little roar! I always love the fact that zoo vets carry their newborns around in Tupperware containers. Must be hoping to keep them nice and fresh…

7. That FACE! Those EYES! Stick a fork in me I’m done!

8. RAWWWRR…or something….

9. i_wuvs_puttins says:

Check out the vid, with bonus squeak!

10. GIMME!!!!

11. Wow, that is some ferocious (and cute) disapproval!

12. Mary (the first) says:

Awww! I love when the vets/zookeepers are surprised by little ones! Many years ago at the Portland zoo there were visiting fancy monkeys from China. No one knew she was PG until someone saw “two tails” early one morning and they found a newborn clutched to the mom’s chest. What a (delighted) furor that caused! Big hugs to determined moms everywhere!

13. Liz the Librarian says:

It was cute at the end when the tiger snorgled the keeper’s hand, like “Moooooom, I’m tired of this. Can you rub my head for a little while and tell me everything is going to be alright?”

14. please make a “this just in” category! Why the heck not??????

15. Purrrfection!!!

16. LEAVE KITT’N’EY ALONE!!!!

17. This is the new definition of the best facial markings ever!!!

18. OMG OMG OMG – Tooooo cute!

19. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

@alissa: We have a “This Just In!” tag, which works just like a category. Click the link to see all “This Just In” posts:

20. Thanks for the video, i_wuvs_puttins – I love that her stuffed companion looks just like my dog when he needs a haircut.

21. frogboots says:

@Mary (the first): is “fancy monkey” the scientific name for them, or were they just really fancy? ;)

cute tigers are cute.

22. Serious little face, check; slightly crossed eyes, check; fuzzy oversized paws, check; cute round ears, check; pink nose with hint of tongue, check! I think this is the most adorable creature ever! I plan on staring at this picture for the next few minutes…

23. MoonCatty says:

At the Frankfurt Zoo the tiger caretakers finally persuaded the mama tiger to become fertile by telling her every day, “Vee haf veys of meking you haf cubs…”

(I’m part German, so it’s ok to make that tacky joke ;-))

24. Wow, so many cameras so close! No wonder he’s making the mini-reow face.

25. Saw this on the news on TV. I felt sad when it was mentioned that this behbeh was rejected by the mother. I mean, how could you reject something as cute as that? I wanted to grab the little tiger from the TV and cuddle him, but that would mean breaking office equipment. :D

26. flittertwit says:

Oh what a beautiful babeh she is! In the last picture, she looks like she’s crying, though. I know I would be with all the commotion.

27. How stinkin’ qte is she?!?! I luv how she’s got this sort of golden color fur going on… Really pretty. Can I borrow her? :-)

@shadyman…snerk!

28. Space Cowgirl says:

If Mom isn’t interested, I’ll take her!

29. in the last picture he looks like a lot of annoyed starts chaced by paps lol
    So cute

30. kibblenibble says:

In the first picture, she looks like Vincent Price. Something about the eyebrows….

31. OMG I want it!!!!! Now if only it could be kept that size……..So freaking cute!

32. L. M. A. O! “So how does it feel to be a tiger?” Har! That is golden.

And I can’t help it, I do feel sad her mama rejected her. :( Poor lil’ thing. Who’s gonna cuddle her? Protect it from the damn paparazzi? I’m sorry that looks awful. They’ve got zoom capabilities. Why do they need to crowd and scare poor Daseep with those flash lenses? Sheesh.

33. bookmonstercats says:

What beautiful markings on her face. She looks dignified even with her funny, fuzzy earsies. Not ones to soft cronche, I would hazard a guess.

34. ….BAYBAY TIGERRRRRR!
    Seriously. >Cutest. Things. Ever.

35. this is one cute picture that the germany zoo sent on facebook . this cute picture looks like me when i get up in the morning. roar roar. cute tiger picture

36. <3 @ Katy for posting the vid. Belleh flopsies at .37 is the BEST. Man, her paws are huge.

37. Awwww, I wish I was stopping by Frankfurt later in the month so I could see baby tiger! My best memory of the last 10 years is petting baby tigers at Sea World or Marine World or whatever it is in California.

38. Sweet little diva . . . she already knows how to tell the paparazzi to BACK OFF!

39. Tigers are without a doubt the most beautiful cat ever designed. Well all cats are beautiful, but zowie, Tigers are just amazingly beautiful.
    I love the comments on papparazi…I thought of that too. If I had cameras shoved in my face I’d probably take a swipe.

40. MaKfromPGH says:

She already has the disapproving look. Then there’s the raawr. Tomorrow maybe the claws come out. Bloody cameras.

41. Must….have….bebbeh….tigerette.

42. THE ANNOY-O-TRON 3000! :D

love it!!! she is beautiful

43. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

…(*snerk*)
    Don’tcha mean PAW-parazzi??

Signed,
    How does it feel to be a Tiger?

44. I’d be insulted, too, if I was making a press conference from a laundry basket!

45. The announcer on the clip has the strangest intonations.

Best tigerette evah.

46. I know I often tell the same story, but when I was a kid, I went to the local zoo veterinary offices for ‘Bring your kid to work day’. A mama panther had just given birth, and they were keeping mama in one cage right next to her kids in the next one. The kids were sooooo darn cute and they, too, did the ‘I’m very fierce! Look! Fierceness!’ thing. (Mama did the ‘if you touch my kids I kill you’ glare).

47. @Marie, I would if they would only GIMME!!!

48. @i_wuvs_puttins: thanks for the video!

Seeing all those annoying camera flashes and loud clicks in front of a newborn just reminds me of Chris Rock’s comment about Siegfried & Roy’s tiger: “That tiger didn’t go crazy; that tiger went tiger!”

49. This isn’t a look of dissaproval…

This is pure RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION

and yet still cute. *mind is baffled*

50. @Mary (the first), frogboots: was it the golden monkey?

And speaking of tiger cubs and annoying fancy monkey:

51. I really want to come up with some clever parody of the lyrics to “Eye of the Tiger” but all I can say is “D’awwwwwwwwwww.” I’m helplessly smitten by those blue eyes, those fuzzy whiskers. Poor little tigerpants, hope she got shamelessly spoiled after her annoying media appearance.

52. “But this IS my Happy Face!”

what a sweetie… (I got to hold & pet a tiger cub when I was a kid, neighbor was fostering her at the zoo and got to bring her home sometimes. )

53. When I was younger, someone visited my neighbor’s house with a lion cub, and we got to pet it and cuddle with it. Of course, at the time, I thought this was completely awesome if a little terrifying. Now I can’t help but think “WTF was some random person doing with a lion cub?! I shudder to think of the fate of that poor animal.

54. That’s a really cool little cub, but I agree those pictures look like it’s angry!

55. flittertwit says:

Haha… was watching the video Wuyizidi posted and found myself wishing the tigers would catch the monkeh and scare the bananas out of it!!!

56. Becky, Bubba's mum says:

I want Kitty. Precious beyond words.

57. Rawr! I’m so tuff! Back off or I will GUM you!

58. rawr.. nice looking kitty. I wouldn’t want to pay that food bill.

59. “Funny Monkey Teasing Tiger” the less successful remake of “Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.”

60. Awwwww. How sweet!!
    She doesn’t look scared though, I think she’s just sassin’ them. She must be totally used to humans, especially if she’s being hand-raised.
    My momma has a pre-veterinary degree with emphasis on large animals, so she got to work at a zoo out of grad school. She tortures me by telling me about hand-feeding tiger cublets and baby monkeys ;-;

61. Viola de Lesseps says:

[Banjo plunk + Eddie Izzard voice]

“We-e-e-e-e-e-ell…
    I’m a ti-ger!”

62. Mary (the first) says:

@frogboots and Wuyizidi, I think they were Golden Monkeys but it was about 30 yrs. ago so my memory’s a bit hazy. I just remember it was a big honor that China agreed to a visit here to the states.. and they sent us 2 of them, and we sent back 3! :D I was volunteering at the zoo at the time and very envious of those who saw it first.

63. Let’s bungle in the jungle
    Well that’s all right by me
    I’m a tiger when I want love
    But I’m a snake if we disagree.
    –Jethro Tull

64. HOORAY, a tiger cub, and just in time for my birthday today! I was born in the Year of the Tiger, which it is again now. This is the best present! I’m also loving the weird and wonderful community that exists here. Fernie got home!!!

65. skippymom says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, FERN!!! Skippy is going to send you his little brother Eddy as a gift! He hopes you are fond of loud, misbehaving cats! It’s a sacrifice, but he’ll give him up out of the goodness of his heart.

66. Theresa. Deal! I accept your offer and will go there and bring Daseep home to you. Watch for me on the international evening news (hope Germany’s jails are a little nicer than ours, y’know just in case). More importantly prepare milk bottles. Lots of them. :D

67. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! Re: Paw-parazzi. You’re right. My bad. Were my mind as fast and clever as yours I would have thought of it too. Thank you. :D

68. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

@ Marie:

…it could also be, that the grey squishy bits inside my skull, had a bit more time to develop a theory and a punchline, since your comment was much sooner than mine :) Either way–Puns R Fun!!

Speaking (or writing) of which,
    me no see-ums comment here, from 2600akley….Donde esta ???

69. why are tiger cubs the best?

70. Hyura, if that’s a riddle I don’t know the answer, but I do know that stripey britches are always in fashion!

71. <—wonders if a Tiger Surprise is anything like a Pullet Surprise…

72. i_wuvs_puttins says:

@wuyizidi – You’re welcome! I love that little tiger squeak. One of my cats always gives me the silent (almost) meows; her mouth opens and the tiniest little “eh” will come out. Makes me squee every time. My other one, she has no problems with vocal self-expression, even at two a.m. when she wants head skritches.

73. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmuuuuuwahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Smooches and baby cuddles. sigh.

74. Cuteful!
    May she have a lot of health and fun!

75. The Angel says:

Yes, back off please, let her be. She’s adorable. But please, she needs her space. Let’s be considerate.

76. I. Am. Cute.

Hear
    Me
    Roar

77. i_wuvs_puttins 10.07.10 at 3:17 pm – Thanks for that!

My lord, she is a beauty.

78. Queen of Dork says:

Tiger baby: Rooaar! (and hissandgrowl) I am Tiger…feel my roar. Fear my claws. (Zorro swipe in the Z formation).

79. a star is born!

(and grows up to eat the papparazzi, which is good)

80. :lol: Little Daseep looks like she is ready to smack those cameras real hard with her claws :lol:

81. @Skippymom – thank you for the birthday wishes. It’s been a great day. Since I usually celebrate from the first of October to Halloween, it’s also been a very looong day.

Looking forward to meeting Eddy. Skippy is such a generous guy, please give him a smooch from me and tell him I said thank you for his sacrifice! :)

82. @wuyizidi

>>BTW, have a couple of Annoy-A-Tron 2.0 at the office, they work great by the way.

HAW! BTW, have a couple of Annoy-A-Tron 2.0 at the office, they work great by the way.

“The ‘Teen Buzz Tone’ is a frequency that young people can hear but older folks cannot. Sometimes younger folks cannot hear it and sometimes older folks can hear it, but, in general, it’s called the ‘Teen Buzz’ tone. When you can hear it, trust us, it’s annoying. Dogs agree.”

83. @wuyizidi

>>And speaking of tiger cubs and annoying fancy monkey:

I CAN BE AN ANNOYING FANCY MONKEY! i want Iron Chef sound effects, too!

84. So I have been cogitating about tiger surprise becaue well it sounds like some kind of yummy dessert to me.. I picture some kind of orange and chocolate mousses swirled together in a spiral. Perhaps with a lovely dark Chocolate cookie at the bottom.

What do you think peeps?

85. YUM! I volunteer to be taster for the new dessert!!!

86. How I envy all you folks who got to cuddle a big cat baby in your youths! I know it’s not healthy for them, but . . . oh . . oh . . . how I want!!!

Si, donde esta Oakley?

Happy Birthday, Fern. I highly approve of celebrating a ‘birthday month!’

Happy DogCaturday, all.

87. the last picture: baby tigers don’t have fangs yet! Just baby teeth! I didn’t know that..
    I am in love…

88. TIIIIGERRRRRRRR!!!!

That’s always, always my reaction when I see tiger-anything. :)
    (Inspired by Aang and his penguins from Avatar:The Last Airbender.)

Very cute baby! It’s really too bad she has to be raised in captivity, but what can you do?

She has beautiful blue eyes. ^_^

89. your friendly lurker in Frankfurt says:

Couple o’ notes.

Video has two errors. (Just goes to show how little careless foreign journos understand.) They never noticed her mom was pregnant – tiger pregnancies don’t actually show – they just found an abandoned tiger cub in the grounds.
    And more seriously, they’re only raising her by hand for like a month or so. In a few days she’s going away to Wuppertal to be adopted by a tiger mum who lost one of her cubs. Which means, of course, that she’ll never be a star attraction *here* (again).

And now for the wholly redonkulous. There’s a sign on the tiger … whatchamacallit? It’s not a cage… compound, whatever… “Iban, Magali und das EEP” (her parents’ names and the EEP, the European Endangered Species Programme, for which Frankfurt zoo are Sumatran Tiger coordinators). Yeah well, they find this little thing doing “eep” noises and some staffer puns “well, now we’ve finally found the Eep!” And that’s what she gets her name from. Daseep. Das EEP.