Stuff Dreams are Made of

A behbeh monkeh riding a behbeh peeg.

Makes sense [turns over goes back to sleep]

I hear tiny galloping sounds, Mira M. Want to see more? an insane video and theme song awaits you.

Comments

1. I think this sort of thing qualifies as animal exploitation. That is, not cute at all. :(

2. weird

3. Riiight. Clearly the animals are being exploited and are MISERABLE. Like the monkey couldn’t get off the piggie, or the piggie couldn’t buck him off, if either of them wanted!

I didn’t realize piggies could be so hairy.

4. they must be TINY!!

5. Okay the theme song and video just did me in. LOL

6. something about this just makes me feel sad

7. thats so cute, the monkeh look so concentrated like he is up to something bad lol

8. 1. I think it’s a leetle hog, not a peeg
    2. Just added the “Cute or Sad” tag…

9. agree. this looks sad to me. both babies look scared, and they obviously aren’t with their moms. :( i know it’s not cute overload’s responsibility to make sure to only post nice pics of happy animals, but this one shoulda been clearly deemed as uncute.

10. If you check out the original Japanese video, there’s a little explanation, and it’s also translated into slightly broken english. It’s definitely sad that these little dudes are orphans, but it’s darn cute that they’ve got each other!

There are also other links to various hog-mounted monkeys…monkeys obviously ride piggies regularly. Who knew?

11. Aww they Loff each other!

and the video is excellent.

Warning Ear worm material… wanders off to swim class singing Baby Monkey!

12. wildviolette says:

And no, I’m not joking.

13. Child of the 90s says:

That has to be the cutest rendition of “Jouney to the West” tha I’ve ever seen.

14. Going back to the original video, it seems that they are two orphans who have formed a friendship. AT one point, a keeper takes the monkey off and he’s all like “WAAAAAH WHERE’S MYYY PEEEEEG!!!! and runs after him until he can climb back on.

The pig didn’t look upset to be separated but he also didn’t seem to mind giving his little primate pal a ride.

15. Out here under the old western (japan) sun,
    my peeg is gettin restless, time to run…
    *harmonica solo*
    Ohhh there’s no one out here (cept some kids) under this sun,
    but i’ve got mah peeg for company, and a trusty banana gun,
    old western (japan) sun….
    *harmonica solo*
    *fades out while looking stoicly into the distance*

16. No need to be sad, the little orphan monkey needs to cling to something warm and furry to be happy. A little wild peeg will do the job and he doesn’t seem to mind.

17. warrior rabbit says:

Well, while we’re talking about Parry Gripp (theme song dude), here’s his tune-of-the-week from a few weeks ago. (I submitted it twice but apparently it’s not worthy.)

18. fatgrammafinn says:

that video was almost too much for my non-pristine heart… poor monkeh bebe is all “come back, little horsie, come back”.

and it is, too, cute. *raps ruler on desk* pay attention, class. read all the reading material, and listen to the narration before jumping to conclusions. class dismissed. furlough day tomorrow.

19. Definitely seems sad to me.

20. @wildviolette

>>I think this is the single greatest thing I have ever seen in my life. Any worry or bummer I had in my head is gone.
    >>And no, I’m not joking.

ditto. if you’re referring to the video and music, double ditto. absolutely.

21. @beans

WAAHHHHH!!

22. Martha in Washington says:

I think this Parry Grip person is now my favorite singer. Of course I’ll be humming the “Behbeh Monkeh” song in my sleep tonight. I’m gonna make “Pile of Kittens (in my Mind) my National Anthem when I have my own country.

23. That’ll do pig… that’ll do.

24. Given that the monkey runs after the pig and climbs back on, he’s clearly enjoying it and not being forced to perform. Therefore, he’s having fun, and it qualifies as cute.

25. The bebeh monkeh things the peeg is his mama.

26. I’m afraid Lady Pamela Smythe-Pilkington-Heartly’s BoBo has been disqualified for his unorthadox riding style. Next we have The Honourable Lettice Langtry-ffoulkes Capucin.

I found out this week that the double ff was used to denote a capital F.

27. Aww, poor little orphan animals! But they seem to be friends, so that’s less sad. Also, a monkey riding a pig? Every argument everywhere is now irrelevant.

Plus, that little girl in the pic is darling.

28. Seamonkey says:

That’s an awful thing to see first thing in the morning! Boo…it’s just as bad as seeing those horrible ‘unnatural’ litter commercials with the cat in a diaper every time I log in…I think I’ll try to find my cute elsewhere for a bit:(

29. superbunny says:

Poor Seamonkey. Try to find some goodness in the cute monkey and pig.

30. I say, why can’t a monkey and piggy be friends? Dunno what a happy piggy looks like as they don’t tend to smile much, but I guess I’m just an optimist :) Plus, that song is AWESOME and will now be stuck in my head for all time.

31. *explodes from cuteness*

32. mrsgilmore says:

i don’t see how this could be sad. the video made my friday. i didn’t get sad until i read the comments. pfft.

33. All this nuff and no “monkey on my back” jokes? Tsk. :P

34. Me thinks some of the commenters are anthropomorphizing emotions onto the post.

35. Kristen S. says:

After you see the video and hear the song, you might need this site: http://www.unhear.it/

36. Hey peeps! I just read the original Japanese and the zookeepers explain that this is NOT a show or something that the zookeepers themselves are enforcing.
    A baby monkey lost his mother and was feeling very down (元気なくしていた). They tried all kinds of things to cheer it up, but the thing that worked best seemed to be when they introduced it to a baby pig. The two somehow developed a bond for each other, and the monkey regularly rides on the piggy through the park. It is, repeat, not a show, not forced = NOT SAD. So don’t worry anymore about this one, people. Yes, there are cases of animal exploitation on CO, but this is not one of them.

37. Another note — they explain that it’s “not a show” because some people were inquiring what scheduled times they can see this spectacle. It happens spontaneously between them, so no “showtimes” on this one.

38. If you could get fit jumping to conclusions, CO would have some the healthiest people on the planet. Geesh.

Anyway I think the baby monkeh and baby hoggeh are too sweet! The loff each other!

39. 260Oakley says:

@Simi
    Thanks for the translation. Glad to see all the ’nuffing was just so much hogwash. I love the picture of ol’ Seabrisket and his jungle jockey.

40. @Warrior Rabbit… LOL I love that video and I think we need to officially name Parry Grip The CO song artist of all time!!!

41. Baby monkey! Baby monkey!
    Riding on a pig, baby monkey!

42. Is it just me or are jockey’s getting smaller and smaller?

43. It is the CO interdepartmental memorandum delivery system.

44. BABY MONKEY! BABY MONKEY! RIDING ON A PIG, BABY MONKEY!

i’m off to an asylum because that song is stuck in my head forever.

45. AuntieBellam – I like your get fit by jumping to conclusions, I must use it sometime.
    “you should be very fit because your always jumping to conclusions.” :)

46. skippymom says:

Theresa, you are a wellspring of, er, “interesting” videos, but what the HECK was that?

47. Peeps, are you aware that it is now TOCKTOBER?

Let the race to the bottom begin! :mrgreen:

48. flittertwit says:

I saw that vid last week and thought about submitting it, but knew it would probably start a commentroversy, but let it ride… so to speak.

It is quite obvy the piglet and babeh monkey are very fond of each other.

49. skippymom says:

To clarify, I was referring to “Monkey On The Lam” #11. Theresa?

50. @Skippymom,
    That’s from the Colbert Report. Whenever there’s a news story about an escaped monkey, which seems to happen more often than you’d think — or just about any escaped animal, it seems– Stephen puts up that little clip.

Here’s a link to the whole panoply of Monkey on the Lam clips: :mrgreen:

51. For me, this comment from the youtube page says it all:
    “this kind of thing makes the internet a better place”

52. Andi from NC says:

That video and song may be the most insane things I’ve every experienced!

Loved it!!!!

53. skippymom says:

@Theresa, thank you for the explanation! I don’t have TV, but I’ve often thought that if I did, I would probably like the Colbert Report.

54. Master Monkey appears to have a binkey in his mouth.

55. @kittyadventures

>>we need to officially name Parry Grip The CO song artist of all time!!!

tewtelly! singing the post captions?!

56. @wearanimals

>>Is it just me or are jockey’s getting smaller and smaller?

that’s what he said.

what?

57. skippymom says:

Baby monkey says
    Piggyback is so much fun!
    Giddy up, yeehaw!

58. Skippymom – Jaw drops you don’t have TV! So is it parlour songs round the piano forte, whilst you embroider a sampler by lamplight ? :)

59. wondering says:

Is it just me or is the lil monkey doing Blue Steel?

60. “When we were kids, we had no raydy-o, no tellyvishon, no intertubes, no U-pads, none of that stuff. We had to make our own fun. Not that there was any time for that, with all us kids goin’ to the mill and down t’mine as soon as we turned three. And before that, we were all chasin’ chickens out of the house all the time, because we were too poor for a door . . .”

61. Oh snap, moderation!

62. That is the cutest thing I’ve seen in ages! And thanks for the ear worm–I’m going to be hearing “Baby monkeh, baby monkeh, riding on a pig baby monkeh” all night long!

And I applaud Skippymom for not having a TV–we haven’t had a TV in our house for 30+ years. One daughter got a 1680 on her SATs, the other daughter got 1620. We read books, we subscribe to several magazines (my favorite is mental_floss), we listen to our CDs, I play guitar and sing, and our two parrots are more entertainment than *anything* on the boob tube. TV–feh. Who needs it??

63. Why oh why do I have this stupid curiosity, driving me to always check the comments on posts like this?

I knew that the nuffers would come out in force… The way they immediately assume the worst case scenario and nothing but the worst case scenario just makes me sad. But I still read… Well, I guess that I have no one to blame but myself :)

64. So what do you non TV ers talk about round the water cooler, the latest Crinoline paterns “Well Matilda I’ve heard ankles are shown in some countries” vigorous swishing of fan “filthy foreigners” swish swish swish. eets a joke :)

65. @ Hon Glad
    There are much better things than TV; friends to socialize with, books (oh so many) to read, ideas to consider, pets to cuddle, etc. I’ve grown very disillusioned with TV.

66. Queen of Dork says:

Theresa: I spent most of my childhood either on my bicycle or sitting high up in a tree I’d climbed.

67. Queen of Dork says:

P.S. – or roller skating on the playground basketball court! With the kind of skates attached to the shoe and tightened with a key. Anybody remember skate keys?

-end of thread grabulationism

68. warrior rabbit says:

I love TV. I still read books and magazines, listen to NPR, discuss ideas, socialize, cuddle small animals, travel, and go to museums. I also scored very well on my SATs (oh so long go). There are trashy novels and mags and trashy shows, and there are also gems. It’s just another storytelling medium. It’s a choice not to watch and you’re welcome to it, but the criticism seems off-the-mark, as does the notion that watching TV obviates other pursuits or, gasp, dilutes intellect. And no, I don’t work in TV. But I do loff eet.

69. Warrior Rabbit: That video is AWESOME!

70. Queen of Dork says:

I love you peeps! You’ve made me think of this song:

71. To set the record straight, I’m not a heavy TV viewer, as a child it was half an hour of childrens TV. These days I never watch TV during the day and dont forget BBC is the least terrible TV in the world no adds and David Attenborough, Steven Fry, Monty Python, Civilisation etc.etc.

Queenie I had the type of skates that attached to my shoes.

72. Dananananananananananananana
    MONKEYMAN!
    GET TO THE PIGLETMOBILE!

73. Queen of Dork says:

I love TV! But I tend to watch stuff like THE NEWS or Judge Judy or Julia Child or something like that. Or on the other end of the spectrum, something totally silly like Three’s Company or something corny such as Lawrence Welk or Little House on the Prairie. :) TV is fun! (What me and my sister would call “bad television” (say in uppity voice)

74. Oh, I forgot about the skates that (only barely) attached to sneakers. It’s lying in the road after said skates disengaged from sneakers that I remember clearly!

75. Queen of Dork says:

gra55hopper19: he-he. Those were fun times, eh? The bandaids and scabs….

76. Q of D
    And the playing cards attached to the spokes of our bikes with clothes pins?

77. Queen of Dork says:

gra55hopper19: Oh yeah! I forgot about that one. :)

78. Just a little gammar nazi-ing.

Even though “of” isn’t normally capitalized in titles, it should be capitalized here because it is the last word of the title. The last word should always be capitalized.

Sorry. :P