The Duke.

11 years old.

Pekinese.

The Duke Abides.

Special thanks to Bobbeh over at Pixel Implo-door.

Comments

1. That’s one proud pooch!

2. last pic falkor

3. GAAHHH!! My head just esploded! So effing adorable!

4. nice marmot.

5. aaawwww cutie. looks quite healthy and active for an 11 year old!

6. Last pic:

First there was HoverCat.

Now, we have DusterDog!

7. Duke (nothing can stop me now) Duke of earl
    Duke, Duke of earl.

8. Perfect cute.

9. Mary (the first) says:

Pekes have not typically been high on my list but this little cutie may cause me to re-think..

10. “Phone’s ringing.”
    “Thanks, Donny!”

Love the loaf-pup in that last pic! Clearly he needs a mighty snorgling, and I for one would be happy to volunteer!

11. Love that movie. Love the dog!

12. Wow. I am in total awe of this pooch. He is magically cute.

13. When I was I little girl, Pekinese were the prototypical small-ugly-dog of choice for old people and people with little room. They were everywhere. Now that everything is Pugs and toy Poodles and Chichuahuas, I miss the Pekes. :)

14. It is a little-known fact that Pekes have retractable legs.

15. I want one! If I eat all my dinner, can I have two? So nommable and snorglable and snuzzlable!

16. milenkokonut says:

ooooh!!!! Looks just like my Bootsie-babe who just left us a year ago after a nice 10 years with us… I miss her a lot :(

Cheers to the Duke! :)

17. That last picture could be classified as BLORP.

18. First pic:
    walking tall and owning the sidewalk

19. snorglepup says:

I’m sure it’s from some relevant movie, but who’s Walter?

20. thanks for asking, snorglepup. i’m clueless too, but hate to ask…

oh. and duke is a cutie!

21. oh, even better, he’s a rescue puppeh! bless your hearts, Henry and Amy, for adopting an older dog!

22. The Dude widely abides. Over my Labor Day weekend travels, I saw 3-4 random references to The Dude/Jeff Bridges, ending with a colorful print of him on the wall at Two Boots restaurant. And heyyy, here he is on CO, man. Niiice.

23. Just when I thought CO couldn’t get any better Meg pulls out the ‘Big Lebowski’ references! Cute animals AND great movie quotes? Best. Website. Ever.

24. lol, i just googled “the dude” and “walter”…. it’s The Big Lebowski… after reading about it, i think i might just have to rent it now…

25. hopefully puppulence is adhering to a pretty strict, uh, kibble, uh, regimen to keep his mind, you know, uh, limber.

Def. a Pekinese I’d take bowling!

26. The Big Lebowski + a freakin’ adorable puppah. My morning has been made. (Best. movie. ever.)

27. Dragonflye says:

Nothing makes me giggle more than the line”That rug really tied the room together….”

28. This aggression will not stand, man.

29. wannadance says:

every time i see one of those silvery hair clips, i think of him putting one in his hair to hold one side back while he is bowling. it just slays me and i roll around seeking my hair clip, wear it proudlyl what IS it about that movie???

she returnethk
    dancer

30. That puppeh and the ham below look like cousins. Same coloring.

31. Hahahaha. This made my morning. :D

“You want a toe? I can get you a toe…”

32. Old puppies are the best puppies. Fact.

33. Rabbit Geek says:

HAD to take the time to give kudos on the awesome hover-captions… totally made my whole day and it’s only 11am!!

34. wannadance – Welcome back!

35. Walking my favorite thingggg! Hes adorable.

Pic 1 walking
    Pic 2 dreaming of walking
    pic 3 walking
    pic 4 can we go for a walk
    pic 5 hurry up and eat your veggies so we can go for a walk!
    pic 6 its raining…

36. I’m the Dude. So that’s what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing.

37. I never thought I would say this, but yes, that Pekinese does resemble Jeff Bridges.

38. AuntieMame says:

I haven’t seen the Big L, so my first thought was John Wayne (and you can even see a teeny resemblance there in the first pic).

Tighten your shorts, pilgrim, and sing like the Duke!

39. flutterbye says:

He’s tewtally prosh ~ reminds me of a sealio pup!

40. This just another day in the life of Duke de l’Arrogance.

41. That rug he’s lying on really ties the room together,

42. Fleurdamour says:

He’s beautiful. And his sweet little face has a slight Ewok resemblance.

43. fatgrammafinn says:

*waves hi to minou* saw a post from you the other day, you are in P.Q.? i know very little french (language) but have recently re-read “the annals of the hudsons bay co., 1670-1970″, and i recall ‘nouvelle france” being used as another name for Quebec. my kids are canadian (their dad from calgary), but i am appallingly ignorant about all things canadian.

*mwah to everybody*

44. He looks like a bebeh otter. Squee!

45. @dia

>>Old puppies are the best puppies. Fact.

that is a very true fact.

46. @nuri

>>When I was I little girl, Pekinese were the prototypical small-ugly-dog of choice for old people and people with little room. They were everywhere. Now that everything is Pugs and toy Poodles and >>Chichuahuas, I miss the Pekes.

i had the same thought. it’s nice to see one now.

47. @Sharpy and Nuri, when I was in HS, there was a pocket park near school where kids would hang out in the morning, and local residents would walk their dogs. Every morning, a lady would arrive with five Pekes, which she would unleash, and they would fan out and terrorize all the bigger dogs in the park. A friend of mine called them Genghis Khan and the Mongol Hordes. :mrgreen:

48. @theresa

or their street name, “the mongrel hordes?”

wait a second. what’s a pocket park? is that like the one in “love and death?”

“In addition to our summer and winter estate, he owned a valuable piece of land. True, it was a small piece, but he carried it with him wherever he went. “

49. @Sharpy: Yes. :mrgreen:

50. “Shut the f up, Donny!”

(Cute Peke!)

51. The Duke puddle in the last picture is the best!

52. I think it is time someone warned the public that cuteoverload is a….GATEWAY DRUG.

i read every single post and looked at every single picture on Duke’s blog. tomorrow, I’ll probably be red-eyed and jumpy, twitching and scanning the internet for more More MORE adorable off-white dogs of awesomeness.

this is what CO + Duke has done to me. *and* I’m a crazy cat lady. so go figure.

53. The Big Vundeezy says:

I like looking at this dog. I just want lay in bed with dog and let dog run around inside of my pants. how can arrange?

54. I love this so much.

55. Thanks Meg. Now I’m craving a white Russian. X3

56. Pekes always make me think of Mrs. Pumphrey and her beloved and utterly spoiled Tricki Woo. (“Mr. Herriot ! Tricki’s gone crackerdog again ! ” )

57. I too, looked at every single picture and read every single caption on Duke’s blog. I couldn’t stop. I was glad when I came to the beginning of the blog (also known as the end).

58. Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

I run Duke’s blog and I’m glad you all like him, too. It’s not so obvious from the photos but he’s basically a grumpy old man who just wants to hang out and eat Cheerios. He likes cuddling and squeaky toys. He barks at garbage trucks. We love him dearly.

Kudos to Meg for featuring him! He’s never seen The Big Lebowski but he’s lazy and he likes rugs so that’s close enough.

59. he’s a show dog, he has effing papers

60. marsha (fostermom) says:

He is a wonderful peke. Loved fostering him and didn’t want to let him go but I’m glad he has wonderful parents. Older dogs are great to have. You are a super star Duke!!!

61. Peekoneezer Squeezer says:

I have a Peke just like this! They are the sweetest little doggies.

Her name is Oink, for good reason. :-)

62. Vunn-o-matic says:

Hey guys, if you love Duke, then I got a site for you to check out.

Don’t be fooled by the name of the website… the pictures are amaaaaaazing

63. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

uh…Ed’s….Item # 53 above????

64. @Hon Glad ..I now have the song Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Earl, Earl, Earl….replaying over & over in my head. :>)

65. @ O NO

>>uh…Ed’s….Item # 53 above????

what?

we don’t have “ed’s,” btw. that was just the previous moderator’s thing.

66. Ooooh, meyowch.

67. SO EFFING CUTE!!!!!!!!!!