From the ICBTAEAIDKAI Files

From the “I Can’t Believe This Animal Exists And I Didn’t Know About It” files, yes, there is such thing as a tree kangaroo! The Goodfellow’s Tree-kangaroo pretty much owns you, especially with a full bebeh powsche + sunbeam action:

Prosh photos by Flickrerer Andricongirl. Sender-Inner Stephanie S. inspired us with an L.A. Times “Unleashed” story here.

Comments

1. Gorgeous fur! (And an exceedingly cute animal, to boot.)

2. there have been tree-kangaroos since oh about 1992 maybe earley so its no supprise that you found this.

3. yarnyoga: I quite agree

4. But– but–but– we;ve had tree kangas at CO before!
    Here:

(Not that I’m complaining, they are totally darling.)

Plus others– do a soich, since I don’t want to get moderated.

5. Here! Another CO-approved tree kangaroo!

6. Guy Incognito says:

Kuato lives!

7. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

@ Theresa: I’m visualizing Sharpy with a pencil poked through a bun in her hair, and rhinestoned cat-eye spectacles, peering atcha over top of the eyeglasses!!!

8. Cutest thing about this? Mama roo is so sleepings in pic 2… :)

9. Cut mama and even cuter baby!

10. Gaaaaah! Roooooh! Want one!

11. And here I thought Goodfellas were native to Brooklyn.

12. so tie-tie zzzzzzzzz

13. Mama falling asleep on own baby..?

14. Love the bebeh’s expression in the first pic!

15. Love the bebeh-blue eyes and the tailio trying to skedaddle. . . and Mom becoming globular, immobilised in the Honk-Shu power of . . . the Sun-Beam! TM
    Wait! (In Adam West enunciation) The Evil Sun-Beam is trying — to overpower — ME — too strong — can’t escape — the pullzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

16. kind of looks like a cat

17. Andi from NC says:

I was holding steady when I saw the prevcious first pic, then scroll..scroll… Oh snap!! The mama leaning in so sweetly on wee powsched bebeh sent me into a full tilt of (say it with me, people) cute overload…..

18. I dreamed about this creature last night. I was looking at it, thinking “hey, it looks like a kangaroo, but not any type of kangaroo I’ve seen before.”

Thing is, I hadn’t seen it on CO yet.

*insert Twilight Zone tune here*

19. tree form of kanga and roo!!!!! ;)

20. They are my favorite of the roos in their wonderful two-tone fur!

*snore*

21. I thought you all knew!?!?!?!?!?!

22. The mother is so tired, she is falling asleep. Baby is very cute!

23. I can’t believe the ‘roo baby has BLUE EYES.

24. A red panda and a kangaroo made babies!

25. I’m transferring colleges to one with a zoo technology program (working in zoos, etc) in May and they have tree kangaroos there. I’m soooo excited to get to work with them!

26. Oh, look! A little roo sandwich made with pita bread!

27. Martha in Washington says:

I seriously want to pet that fur!

28. Powsche brought to you by Roota-Bagas, kanga moms’ #1 choice for joey joyrides.

29. @O NO

i occasionally remove the pencil to licken it.

but otherwise, spot on.

30. @theresa

you’d better leave some breadcrumbs on your journeys through the stacks, young lady. i do NOT want to go looking for you at closing time.

oh, wait. well, just don’t get lost! or do get lost, but not like that! and leave cupcake crumbs!

31. @260oakley

omg. are you okay?! that was a doozy!

32. I demand that audio files of Meg pronouncing these ridiculous words be included in the glossary. I will not calm down.
    The “bebeh powsche” combo…
    It kills me.

33. Ooooh, a pouch couch potato!

34. She looks like a stuffed animal! In the second picture, you can even see her seam running down the back of her head.

(I just woke up from a dream where I found a miniature horse running around lost and brought him home and made a bed for him in the spare room. I was sad to wake up with no mini horse.)

35. ~ “Kangaroo-a sits in the old gum tree …” ~

36. I knew about them, but I never had photographic evidence that they’re so adorable in sunbeams! Love it! Specially their squinty faces in the first pic. :)

37. Does anyone else remember the book/cartoon about Puff the Magic Dragon and the Living Sneezes? Does anyone else think the baby in the first photo looks like a cute little Living Sneeze? :)

38. They have a pair at the Toronto Zoo. We were fascinated by them – they are very slow and relaxed. We watched the male quickly reach for the female, and when she went the other way, he just slumped down and went back to chilling out. Hilarious and cute.

39. The baby’s all, “Mama! Mama! Can we go over there? I wanna see that! And that!! And Mama’s all, “Hush, kid, I need to catch some zzzzz . . . ” Adorable!

40. Impertinent request:
    COXCU of Mamma nuzzling that blue eyed beenie bebbeh in that 2nd pic plskthx & SWOON!

41. the fur!!! the fur!!! looks so freaking soft that i wanna touch it lol so cutttte!!!

42. bebeh roo: “MOMMM! Dad fell asleep on the crib again….”

43. So, I guess I’m still in a late 19th/early 20th century British Children’s Literature mode, because I wanted to quote the Winnie the Pooh story where Tigger and Roo get stuck in a tree, but, alas, my A A Milne book has gone to live at my nephew’s house. That’ll teach me to be a good aunt.

And I’m in the same boat as caitlin. I knew about tree kangaroos, but I didn’t know how cute they are.

44. Mary (the first) says:

Ditto, knew about them but not the cuteness factor. Does anyone else think that bebeh looks a bit like the whale a few posts back… baleful light blue eyes, mysterious smile??

45. OMG again! I’m going to have to get an injunction against CO because they keep coming at me with TOO MUCH PROSHNESS! Am I allowed to sue when it’s actually my own addiction that keeps me coming back? my brains are leaking…

46. Mama found the perfect Axis of Snorgling on the young ‘un.

47. I want to give them hugs!!!!

48. Mamma looks like Jmmy Durante :)

49. Jimmy

50. I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating: With all the technology out there, why are we not spending anything on a shrinking ray?! I NEED to shrink myself down and climb in that cozy pouch! *thinks to self*, “Must also shrink Swedish Fish, warm chocolate chip cookies, and a jug o’ milk. Maybe a bottle of Febreeze…”

51. Queen of Dork says:

His eyes are blue and he’s smilinkg!!

mamabear: I am SO with you on the shrinking ray. Every time I’ve ever moved I’ve wished I could shrink my furniture and stuff, put it in a box, (or my pocket), transport it to the new place, place it in the new home and….Ta Daaaaa! re-grow it in place! That would be so much easier! :)

52. They have tree kangaroos at the Bronx Zoo. One was sleeping while we were there and he drooled. I’ve never seen an animal drool in its sleep. For some reason, it made me happy.

53. Queen of Dork says:

I just looked at my cat. He just finished eating and was scratching his chin with his back paw. I (heart) MY CAT!!

54. Awwwwww! When my sister and I were little, my dad would tell us stories about Ralph, the tree-climbing kangaroo. He said Ralph walked into the emergency room where my dad was interning, for treatment of the sniffles. He got them hiding from hunters, because he’d spent the night in a tree (who looks for kangaroos in trees, right?) We’d beg him to bring Ralph home, but dad said he had a family to support.

Our other favorite stories were Smedley, the skunk with no smell (he was in a flood and it washed away his scent) and Alice, the gorilla who sat on the roof of our house and kept burglers away. (She got Christmas off, so she wouldn’t scare Santa or the reindeer.)

55. I thought Mama Roo was giving Bebeh a keese.

56. fatgrammafinn says:

my dad spent most of WWII with the US coast guard helping train the Australian navy with the “duck boats”, amphibious landing craft. they had a young tree kangaroo as a mascot. seriously.

57. Jen S – Your Dads stories sound great, he should publish you just need a good illustrator.

58. BeckyMonster says:

that pouch baby has blue eyes. BLUE EYES PEOPLE!!!

DED
    (kerplunk onto flooring)

59. The baby looks as if it’s waiting for mom to fall fast asleep so it can go out to play.

@ Alex…about your dream, you woke and found no mini horse…I think I saw it at the Apple store.

60. catservant says:

I r pwned. Lovely pix. Thank you for posting them and thank you for the informative hovertext.

61. I spent a very long time staring at this animal on my last trip to the Toronto Zoo and concluded that he was my favourite. Pretty much just as darn cute in person.

62. Hovertext! Awesome!

63. If you were lugging around all that poundage you’d be tired too. Sweet, very sweet.

64. By the way, check out the claws on the babe! Ouch!

65. The Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle WA has a tree kangaroo. Even more important, they are part of the Tree Kangaroo Conservation Program, which is studying and learning how to preserve the Matschies’ tree kangaroo. A quote from their website: http://www.zoo.org/animal-facts/treekangaroo

“Conservation Connection
    Matschie’s tree kangaroos are a vulnerable species. They survive only in a small area on the island of New Guinea. Habitat destruction caused by logging and mineral and oil exploration are a danger to tree kangaroo populations. Also, hunting by local people is decreasing the number of wild tree kangaroos.

Woodland Park Zoo is a leader in captive breeding and reproduction research on the Matschie’s tree kangaroo. As of 1997, 11 Matschie’s tree kangaroos have been born at the zoo. The staff at Woodland Park Zoo were the first to recognize the importance of isolating females after mating to reduce stress on the mother and increase infant survival rates. Zoo staff are also cooperating with other zoos and institutions to formulate a vaccine which will protect tree kangaroos and other marsupials from avian and human tuberculosis, to which they are highly susceptible.”

So, for you practical types – help save a tree baby. And stop the cuteness destruction!!! There can’t be too much cuteness.

N

66. Mplsdeb: I thought of that too, but the mini horse in my dream was a dark bay.