Mouse Monorail!

People, you and I both know that there are VERY FEW ani-pals PROSHER than the plump, sleeping dormouse. Obvy, South Wales gets this, because they just built special Dormouse Bridges over a highly-trafficked road! [head tilt]

So now, for your viewing pleasure, some unsquashed-on-the-road Dormice:

young hazel dormouse

Hazel dormouse

Hazel dormouse

There’s more on this story from the fingers-on-the-pulse-newshounds over at Daily Mail. Pic #1: Dormouse in hand by Jan Fotografie Pic #2 and #3: Doormouse in hand by ELN2010

Comments

1. AWWWWWWW

2. oh my GOD. I just – I can’t – I mean –
    I’m afraid I actually AM experiencing Cute Overload(tm)! Cortex nonfunctioning. just … ded. very, very happily ded.
    1. Such a cute little Magoo!
    2. It’s made of felt, am I right?
    3. all tucked in and sealed up! I bet water can’t get in there. awwwww

3. so adorable. I like the combo privacy tail and nose warmer.

4. It doesn’t get any more ridiculous than that! /head tilt

5. 260Oakley says:

Q: What’s more aDORable than that mouse?
    A: The name of the roadway that the mouse bridge will cross:
    “Church Village bypass between Pontypridd and Talbot Green”

You could read US newspapers from now until Doomsday and never come across a phrase as delightfully twee as that. We know Cute, but no one does Quaint quite like our friends across the pond.*

*Yeah, yeah, they also gave the world the Spice Girls, but nobody’s perfect.

6. katsmeowsd says:

eeeek! I actually eeeked out loud!

7. What amazes me is how much it really does look like the doormouse in “Alice in Wonderland” (Disney version).

–bossgripes.com

8. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!!! says:

(delighted snerk): “Red.” “No, BLUE–no– AUGGGGHHHHHHHH!”

(swept off the Bridge into terrifying rapids)

Meg and Monty Python/ HG fans, rejoice.

Signed,
    “And there was much rejoicing”
    (“Yay!!Hooray!!”)

9. knittinkitten says:

I must go get a teapot for this leetle guy to crawl into right away! He’s so sleepy! Certainly the most prosh of ani-pals.

10. fatgrammafinn says:

yes, yes, i concur, dormice hold the patent on the modesty tail. but where are these oneseses teapots? or, peetots, like my daughters used to say.

11. What?!? I don’t know that! Eeeeee.

12. knittinkitten says:

I also volunteer to go to the lovely land of Wales and stand with a crossing guard sign, ready to ferry dormice across the road safely.

@260Oakley-but they did give us Miss Marple and that more than makes up for the Spice Girls!

13. anonymous says:

Okay, maybe the articles say something somewhere and I just missed it, but why would the dormice WANT to go high up in the air and cross a bridge? I’d keep my itsy bitsy adorable dormice feetsies on the ground, if it were me.

14. How do the little dormice know to use the bridges?

15. WHAT . . . is the landspeed velocity of an unladen dormouse?
    African or European?
    Arrrrgggghhhh . . .

16. Eeeww, he looks as eef he ees sneefing hees own beehind…

17. I do believe that this calls for some Lewis Carroll:

“They were learning to draw,” the Doormouse went on, yawning and rubbing its eyes, for it was getting very sleepy; “and they drew all manner of things–everything that begins with an M–”

“Why with an M?” said Alice.

“Why not?” said the March Hare.

Alice was silent.

The Doormouse had closed its eyes by this time, and was going off into a doze; but, on being pinched by the Hatter, it woke up again with a little shriek, and went on:—“that begins with an M, such as mouse-traps, and the moon, and memory, and muchness–you know you say things are ‘much of a muchness’–did you ever see such a thing as a drawing of a muchness?”

“Really, now you ask me,” said Alice, very much confused, “I don’t think–”

“Then you shouldn’t talk,” said the Hatter.

This piece of rudeness was more than Alice could bear; she got up in great disgust, and walked off; the Doormouse fell asleep instantly, and neither of the others took the least notice of her going, though she looked back once or twice, half hoping that they would call after her: the last time she saw them, they were trying to put the Doormouse into the teapot.

18. And I thought baby kitties were the cutest thing on the planetearth!
    OH….MY…..JOSH!

19. ….so….so……tie….tie…..

20. ahem. And I’m a bit confused as to how the doormice would use the bridges as well–there seems to be bits missing from either end.

21. fish eye no miko says:

Ah, the Daily Fall…

22. Oh. My. GOD!! Such a cutie! And I just love the hovertext. Perfect.

23. :D So that is what a dormouse looks like :D

24. I hope that bridge isn’t finished yet because as it stands in the photos over at the Daily Mail, the tunnels aren’t joined up and any poor little dormice using it will fall out right into the traffic, from a great height.

And how do they direct the dormice to the entrance of the tunnel??? Just sayin…

25. what my mama sang to me:

Under a toadstool crept a wee elf, out of the rain to shelter himself.
    Under the toadstool, sound asleep, sat a big dormouse, all in a heap.

Trembled the wee elf, frightened and yet, fearing to fly away lest he get wet.
    To the next shelter may be a mile! Sudden the wee elf smiled a wee smile,
    Tugged ’til the toadstool toppled in two, and holding it over him gaily he flew.

Soon woke the dormouse- “Good gracious me!
    Where is my toadstool?” loud he lamented.
    And that’s how umbrellas first were invented.

26. Davis, California, USA built a Toad Tunnel for toads to go under the freeway. Which is crazier?? Toads aren’t even cute.

27. ♥ Oh dormouse, my favourite colour is you! ♥
    [open-mouth head-tilt anime-eyes]

28. @ anonymous, Dillpig, Linda

I read about this elsewhere, and they were saying the dormice need high-up bridges that begin and end at trees, because they spend their whole lives in the canopy, going from tree to tree, and rarely or never come down to the ground.

29. I’m pretty sure my favorite color is Dormouse-colored.

30. Utterly aDORable! My fave colour is now Dormouse Golden Tan!

@occula, I thought your comment #2 was “It’s made of feet, am I right?” lol

31. @Dub, I love your post! It’s such a happy little tale… :P

32. Looks like a little fortune cookie.
    “The journey of a thousand mice, begins with a single step.”

33. But… but… he’s smelling his butt!

34. Martha in Washington says:

I guess the dormice know to use the bridges the same way deer know to cross the highways at the signs. :)

@knittinkitten–can we alternate days? And the British also gave us Tea Time! A wonderful tradition that Americans really need to start following!

35. I never thought that sleeping with one’s nose nicely nestled in the nethers could look so adorabuhls.

36. This mouse is ultra cuteness! Good to hear that people did something to preserve them.

37. Doormice were originally imported by the Romans for eating, I am glad to say we no longer do this. However on Ankh Morpork Cut me own throat Dibbler would like to restore this practice.

38. Dormouse pic is adorable. Bridge just looks like cable covers to me. See the cable intertwines inside the tubes?

39. I followed the link OMG! So generous bordering on comical!

40. These are all the rage in Wales, theres one at Celtic Manor Resort, to keep the Doormice safe from the Ryder Cup crowds! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-10992601

41. @Hon Glad : I thought CMOT Dibbler specialised in “fried rat on a stick”, the favorite of the local Dwarf community. For that matter, would the Patrician approve?

42. Actually, the Hazel dormouse (Muscardinus avellanarius), which this little fellow looks to be, is native to the UK. The dormouse that the Romans ate are thought to be the Edible dormouse (Glis glis), which is native to the European continent but has (recently, accidentally) been introduced to the UK.

43. if little dormouse is british-raised and educated (seems like he is) should also be “coloUr”

44. I think I just had a literal cute overload X_X

45. They have the CUTEST mice!

46. Cheesbird, Way’ll ahve learned me something today :)

47. @ Nocky – toads are to cute!!!
    @ 260O – how could you forget the Beatles ?!?!? That makes up for anything. (And Monty Python, and Red Dwarf, and Waiting For God, and Simon Pegg, and Sir Terry Pratchett, and the list goes on and on….)
    Yes – CMOT Dibbler serves rat onna stick and sausages inna bun. I don’t belive the Patrician approves of anything……..

48. @nocky

>>Davis, California, USA built a Toad Tunnel for toads to go under the freeway.

how cool is that?

49. That is so cute I think I’m going to burst in to tears then flames!!!!!

50. 1) Dormouse: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! What a prosh little seepy ball!!
    2) Hon Glad: You know I love you dearly, but WTF???!!
    3) Nocky, some counter-evidence:
    4) Reeeeeeeee-memberrrrrrrrrrrr what the Dormouse saaaaaaaaaaaaaid!
    :mrgreen:

51. oh god that is the cutest thing ever! fuzzy, little hands, sleepy, privacy tail. he’s got it all, baby!!!

52. Drat! Moderated again! What am I doing wrong? Is it the leenks?

53. @260Oakley, from the Peeps who brought you Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Bishops Itchington.

54. Fleurdamour says:

That is one sleepy little dormouse. He’d better take care or he’ll wake up in a teapot.

55. PS Is the dormouse’s name . . . Tim?

56. Fleurdamour says:

PS – And props to the Welsh for being such considerate cute-ologists.

57. 2600akley says:

For lunch today I would like one plump dormouse and a packet of plain chocolate HobNobs (another gift from the Brits). I may even give the dormouse a bickie, if he’s cute enough.

58. Theresa – Don’t forget Prats bottom.

59. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!!! says:

@ Theresa: “it’s just a little rabbit!” ;)

60. AuntieMame says:

People like to snark about toad tunnels and dormouse bridges, but the fact is that when construction cuts off an animal species’ natural migratory route, it can have serious repercussions, not only for that species but for the species it preys upon and the species that prey upon it.

So they aren’t just pork barrel wastes of taxpayer money.

61. @Björn: It is well known to science that dormouse butts emit a fragrance akin to lavender and lemongrass, with a hint of vanilla.

62. @Hon Glad, I’ve always really liked the names that end in “ing,” like they’re the gerund form of a verb. Woking. Barking. Great Snoring.

63. knittinkitten says:

@Martha in Washington-I think that will work!

I too love tea time. Now if that dormouse would just climb into this tea pot I have here…………..

64. 260Oakley! Oooh! I used to have a huge thing for Hob-Nobs. Plain or chocolate.

Let’s dilly-dally like riff raff and huggermugger some Hob Nobs for a pow wow!

65. A ball-shaped mouse! What will they think of next? (Oh, and soooooo cute.)

66. We also have

Thong – Kent
    Splat – Cornwall
    Twat – Cornwall
    Crapstone – Devon
    Slack Bottom – Yorkshire
    Fryup – North Yorkshire
    Shitterton – Dorset

67. I thought I might be moderated by Miss Prissy – The Moderator, was it T**t dear, so sorry go and lie down with a cold compress.

68. Surrealle says:

Auntie Mame beat me to it a bit, but yeah.. I was annoyed to see the hateful comments at the end of the article (and the tone of the piece itself). In this month’s issue of reader’s digest, they have an interview with Jane Goodall, and one of the questions was “Critics would say that in your zeal to save endangered species–like snails and beetles–you are impeding progress and development”. To which she replies, “The only answer one can give is that we are still learning about the interconnectedness of life. When you remove one piece of the ecosystem, like a bug, it may turn out to be a major food source for another creature. This may be of importance higher up the food chain. And if this species also becomes extinct, well eventually a whole ecosystem may collapse. We just don’t know enough about how all the pieces fit together.”

I think the critics of this bridge are equating a small animal with small worth, which is such a frustrating mindset to see.. I truly worry that the human race won’t learn from its mistakes until it’s too late to make a difference.

69. I NEED ONE NOW!!! GIMMEH!!!

70. How very nice to see an excerpt from one of my very fav books:
    Alyss Iyn Wunnerland; thanks, Corianne!!!
    The dormouse was one of my fav characters in that esteemed book, as well;
    although, when I first read it, I thought that the dormouse was a figment of Lewis Carroll’s imagination, kind of like “Jabberwocky”…
    (Hmmmm; did the March Hare and the Mad Hatter ever succeed completely in stuffing the dormouse into the teapot??? ….And how did they ever manage to make him stay in there???….this and other burning questions are guaranteed to keep me awake tonight…… :lol: :lol: :lol:

71. That can’t smell very good.
    Delightfully cute otherwise. ;)

72. AuntieMame says:

Cheshirekittehkat, if it was chamomile tea, he probably fell right to sleep and is still in the pot, snoozing away. :D

73. Dear Mal,

Please see Theresa’s post# 60 here: http://cuteoverload.com/2010/08/30/mouse-monorail/#comment-468064

Kthxbai.

74. @theresa

>>Drat! Moderated again! What am I doing wrong? Is it the leenks?

75. As a resident of South Wales, I would like to apologise for the Daily Mail and the idiotic commentary of my fellow UKers.

I should also like to add that Church Village itself is far from cute, Pontypridd is a hole and Talbot Green largely strip mall. Howver, the village of Lower Slaughter, in England, IS rather cute. We’re contrary like that. :)

76. @hon

>>I thought I might be moderated by Miss Prissy – The Moderator, was it T**t dear, so sorry go and lie down with a cold compress.

i hope you all don’t think that “miss prissy the moderator” is ME! it was the gender-non-specific auto filter! argh

the way this works is that comments are passed through auto filters and are checked for a ton of different triggers; some are swear words and some are just there to catch the sliest of spammers. sometimes a perfectly innocent comment gets caught. that’s where my job comes in. i read the posts, the comments and check the filters. i approve and disapprove comments being held in the filter. there are so many trigger words that i can’t always tell you why your post might be moderated. there are many comments you will never see, because the filter and i both banish them from our PG sensibilities. so there

i am assuming that the word “t**t” ooohhhh someone said a swearwas a good example. it is an offensive word. but i know that you, hon glad, are a responsible commenter, so i let it through.you're welcome

do i sound defensive?

yes, i do! RAWWW!

i feel bad when your comments are moderated and i feel really bad when you are flagged unfairly. it true

i try to get to them as quickly as i can!

so don’t blame the messenger, for the messenger has very short legs! see?i also have a potty mouth in real life, so i am not, nor have i ever been, a miss prissy. RAWRRRR!

ok?

don't hurt me

–sharpy

77. Ah, but Yoda, he would be a Welsh dormouse, so it would be ‘lliw’, not colour. And he would have the cutest welsh accent! Double squee!

78. 2600akley says:

@Hon Glad
    I hope that Thong is nowhere near Slack Bottom.

79. 260O
    I think Slack Bottom may lead you to Shitterton. Or is that Crapstone? I always sucked at geography.

80. *snerk* Apparently “Tw*t” is not the only one that gets you moderated.

81. Head ‘splodes from major miniscule cuteness

82. Sharpy – I just have one technical question. What flavor is that candy heart? Carob bean?

83. @Hon Glad, OK, enough bragging. I know the UK rules all when it comes to wacko names, but we do have Intercourse, PA and Toad Suck, AR.

84. And don’t forget Humptulips, WA. :D

85. There’s a town in Texas called Cut ‘n’ Shoot. Srsly.

86. “According to one local legend, Cut and Shoot was named after a 1912 community confrontation that almost led to violence. According to differing versions of the story, the dispute was either over:

The design of a new steeple for the town’s only church,
    The issue of who should be allowed to preach there, or
    The conflicting land claims among church members.”

87. @pyrit

>>I just have one technical question. What flavor is that candy heart? Carob bean?

it’s ice-flavored. :)

88. *clapping hands* Wheee! And Greasy Corner, AR! And Beaver Lick, KY (yikes! 8O )
    And Blue Ball, PA!

89. And *fanfare* Bumpass, VA!

90. Brittany F says:

Hovertext FTW

91. And Climax MI. And Hell MI.

92. fatgrammafinn says:

here in WA in the cascades, they are building a caribou underpass, so there is still help for the human race- people have also been very creative in many areas, making rope “overpasses” for squirrels to use so they don’t have to cross roads

93. Not to be outdone, Canada’s got a Dildo, Newfoundland.

94. @Cheesybird, dingdingdingding, that is definitely a short-lister!

95. (Wow… I can’t believe that last comment didn’t go straight into moderation auto-filter limbo. :lol:)

96. @ALL

QUIT IT!

YOU ARE ALL GOING TO GO ON A TIME-OUT IF YOU KEEP THIS UP!

–sharpy

97. Sharpy – I am not for one minute, suggesting that you are Miss Prissy, I have seen you get caught in her corseted grasp.
    I am starting to see her as Myrvyn Peake’s illustration of Irma Prunesqualor.

Oh and Piddle Trenthide – Dorset again, this county seems to specialse in ridiculous names.

98. The last two verses of “the Dormouse and the Doctor” by AA Milne

The Dormouse lay happy, his eyes were so tight
    He could see no chrysanthemums, yellow or white.
    And all that he felt at the back of his head
    Were delphiniums (blue) and geraniums (red).

And that is the reason (Aunt Emily said)
    If a Dormouse gets in a chrysanthemum bed,
    You will find (so Aunt Emily says) that he lies
    Fast asleep on his front with his paws to his eyes.

99. The thing that’s especially wonderful about “Bumpass, VA” is that it can be understood as a reference to the rear end by both Americans and Brits. Brits can see “Bum Pass,” and Americans see “Bump Ass.”

100. @hon glad

oh, thank fg g-d.

i love that name, irma prunesqualor. i’m heading to google straightaway.

if that truly offends anyone, i’m sorry. please tell me.

101. bookmonstercats says:

Going back to the earlier comments re CMOT Dibbler and his rat-onna-stick. In spite of the effable, ineffable cuteness of ratties, I suggest that NOT EVEN Sir Terry (God preserve his brain cells) would get away with allowing CMOT to sell dormouse fajitas.

I’m glad to see so many of our TV shows have found their way across the Pond. I hadn’t realised “Waiting For God” was one of them. If you like that, you should try “Keeping Up Appearances” and “The Vicar of Dibley”. Dawn French was snogged on TV by George Clooney, you know.

102. :| I’m just confused why people would spend taxpayer money, & so much of it, on this.

Couldn’t this have been funded by volunteers instead of the government?

Sorry to nuff

103. @bookmonstercats

>>snogged on

snogged on? i am first in line when it comes to george clooney, but i don’t think i’d want him snogging on me, wood eye?

104. GingerBean says:

Plump!?! PLUMP?!?! I see no plumpness here. Frakking adorableness, yes. I <3 CO!

105. Sharpy, first rule of moderating: Never apologize. It is your world and we are merely commenting on it. Moderate at will.

106. A comment I read on another site was , give me the cash and a tennis racquet and I’ll get them across.

107. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

in re. quirky placenames….
    “Hoooo Boy!!!”

That is all.

108. @ONHSID, I think that’s in Wisconsin. :mrgreen:

109. AnnieStuart says:

Ahhh! mouse feetses!

The road up the street from me has turtle tunnels, connecting two bits of apparently crucial wetlands. The turtles are discouraged from crossing elsewhere by concrete curbs set all along the margins of the roadway. I imagine they’ve use a similar method for the mousies, forcing them to use the bridge….. though I think they’d much prefer a little tunnel rather than a high wire, where they’d be exposed to birds of prey.

Also: I am thrilled with the Pratchett references in this comment thread.

110. janet2buns says:

@bookmonstercats: Here in the Dominion of Canada, my boys have been quoting CMOT Dibbler since they discovered Sir Terry five or six years ago. They also make me beam with pride as they recite the Holy Hand Grenade scene entirely from memory. *smiles indulgently*

111. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

@ Theresa: (are ya ready for a goofy punchline?)

“How cheesy!!!”

112. Haven’t read it . . . yet:

“Fantastically comic, fantastically under-stated,
    eat your heart out Pratchett and Adams.”

Them’s fighting words iffen it ain’t true . . .

113. OH SO CUTE OMG SO SWEET ZOWIE!!

114. Where’s the dippin’ sauce for those nuggets?

115. Here is a cute video of a three year old reciting a poem about a dormouse.

116. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

@ Theresa: wow even in THIS skit, they mention
    both “Norwegian” and “blue”!!!!! :)

117. swimmer love says:

that is the cutest thing i have ever seen!!!!!! :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D

118. @dash

>>Sharpy, first rule of moderating: Never apologize. It is your world and we are merely commenting on it. Moderate at will.

well, i am a bit of a newcomer and i don’t want to come down too hard. when i hear complaints, i try to accommodate.

but thank you. i will begin exercising that particular set of muscles more.

119. @hon glad

>>A comment I read on another site was , give me the cash and a tennis racquet and I’ll get them across.

yeah, that was a comment on the original story. the headline was something like “look what the taxpayers are getting fleeced for now!” not exactly a sympathetic readership.

120. 1.)Katiedid
    2.)To find the source of all cute
    3.)Blue.. no Yellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww

121. Malle Babbe says:

Hey kids! It’s Squeaky McButtHuffer!

122. OMG!! **faints-from-the-cuteness**

123. @ bookmonstercats – I love “Keeping Up Appearances” and “Vicar of Dibley” and “Are You Being Served”! (“Have you seen my pussy?” Lets see if that gets moderated. snerk. ;-) )
    Question – what’s the significance of Dibley? On Red Dwarf the VERY COOL Cat’s alter ego was the VERY NERDY Dwayne Dibley, then you have The Vicar of Dibley…….

@ Sharpy – snogging is kissing – I for one would never pass up a good snogging from George Clooney! :-)

124. re Dibley,Dibbler etc it just gets used for sad, batty loser types its a stock comedy name, never heard of a real one. :D I have spent my life making ginger pussy jokes ,( I grew up in the ’70s)

125. I think I remember someone who named her rats after the “Red Dwarf” characters -Lister, Rimmer, and Duane. (Apparently, she felt naming a rat “Cat” would be over-the-top…)

126. BTW, my mom is a Britcom fan . Her favorites are Are You Being Served ? and Waiting for God.
    Personally, I prefer a Canadian import….the Red Green Show…. Quando omni flunkus moritati !

127. @ Sharpy

The Davis Toad Tunnel(s) would be pretty cool if the frogs they were built for actually used them. I grew up there. I’ve never heard of anyone witnessing it’s use by frogs/toads. I’m sure insects use it all the time though.

128. Jacqueline says:

Awww wish i could attach a picture of the one i caught in germany.. it was adorable and sooo tiny, just sat in my hand and didnt want to let go of me when i tried to put it back on the ground…

129. I knew someone with pet rats named Hyacinth, Daisy and Onslow :-)

@ Diddleymaz – thanks for the explanation!

130. This reminds me of the poem. :) ;) ;o :o