This Comes as No Surprise; Daryl Once Confused a Geoduck Clam and Giraffe

It’s nice to meet you too, Daryl, and I’ve delighted in your adorable story about “reeling” me in. And you seem like a nice fella, so it somewhat partially pains me to inform you:

I’m no swordfish.

An elephant shrew? No wonder Daryl’s confused, Justin B.

Comments

1. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!!! says:

1) Twilight Zone meet Nat’l Geographic
    2) somebody will, so it might as well be me:

where are Larry and the other Darryl??

Signed,
    ???

2. Elephant shrew? Now THAT is an oxymoron.

My favourite oxymorons?:
    military intelligence
    male superiority
    colossal olives
    jumbo shrimp.

3. Oh, snerkity-snerkity snerk!

4. My, what large ears my sworfish has! ;)

5. bookmonstercats says:

But why??????

6. 260Oakley says:

I would make fun of his nose, but that would be shrewd. He probably has some terrible condition, like pachydermatitis.

7. bunnyhero says:

pinnochio shrew! eeet’s lying!!

8. knittinkitten says:

I must ask, does this qualify as an extreme noisicle? Teh leetle guy sure is cute! May I give him a treat? A peanut perhaps?

9. Cute! You’d think the end of his nose would be pink. Don’t know why, pink just seems right.

10. what is eet? pleeze pleeze tell me.

11. fatgrammafinn says:

pocket pet or poke-it pet?

12. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!!! says:

@ bookmonstercats: if I may hazard something which *might* be illuminating (no promises, mind you :) )

….once ‘pon a loooooooooooooooong ago time, Ellen deG was a *NEW* discovery as a comedian (this is back in the Pleistocene, even before the BOOKSTORE Ellen deG program) …..she did a bit where she was on the telephone with God. She asked Him your question, but in re. fleas. There was a moment or two of her hearing God’s answer and considering it. Her reply to his reason was, “why, no, I DIDN”T know that there were that many people employed in the flea collar industry”.

I STILL love that story, it’s both odd and heartwarming at the same time, which can be a difficult set of objectives to combine ….and yay Ellen has become even more renowned to the Publique Generale, since those days.

Hope that’s either useful or at least hoomerous.

PS: HI, ffleur!!!! How’s things? :)

13. DewiCasgwent says:

Ffleur
    Military intelligence was oxymoronic until Teho joined it, now its a sensible statement

14. Is this real liiiife?

15. Martha in Washington says:

Is s/he as soft and floofy as s/he looks? I would like to do some personal research in to this question. Are government grants available?

@O NO– I love that Ellen bit!

@Prongs–Yay for knowing what a geoduck is!

@ffleur–having been a long time Navy wife, the phrase “military intelligence” has always baffled me.

16. Christabel says:

Katrina you made me giggle.

I wonder if he might be available to clean my keyboard?

17. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!! says:

@ MarthainW: We aim to please!! :)

18. “I’m Larry, and this is my brother Daryl, and this is my other brother Daryl.”

That used to drive my grandma CRAZY. :mrgreen: She was an interesting woman.

19. @ONHSID, I see you beat me to it! Great minds and all that.

20. fatgrammafinn says:

@martha in wa, and all, in olympia, the evergreen state college’s sports teams are the geoducks.

READER ALERT!!!!! PG-13 CONTENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and the infamous pg-13 local postcard is of some guy with a geoduck neck hanging out his fly (try getting that visual out of your head)

21. PS:
    Geoduck. SFW, but just barely :mrgreen:

22. Awww, sleepy eyes. Looks cuddly, but I’d be afraid to for fear of snapping that little snout off accidentally!

23. Dude he looks soooo comfortable in all that fur….And who wouldn’t be?

24. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_shrew

This one seems to be the most strikingly marked:

25. I’m sorry, I’m sure he’s cute but that’s a rhinoplasty experiment gone amok.

26. fatgrammafinn says:

@ Theresa, thank you for the pic link, i have no internet skills whatsoever…

geoduck is pronounced gooey-duck, i thinks it’s first peoples’ for ” i dare you to put some of that in your mouth”… and if that offends anyone, i sowwy, but i’m also “offending” myself…

27. What an adorable, odd little creature!

28. His name should be Cyrano!

29. Oh dear lord!!! The nose to body ratio on this is REALLY skewed! TOO CUTE! I love it!

30. Seriously, Geppetto has gone a tad too far….

31. kibblenibble says:

ffleur: I like your oxymoron list. I thought I’d share my fave:

religious tolerance

32. EEEEEEeeee!!!
    Oh, my QTE!!! !!!!***ELEPHANT SHREW*** !!!!!

(OK, I’ll calm down now)

I saw one at the DC Natl Zoo, it was sooo little with the ADORABLE nose (like this one) and long skinny toothpick legs, the weirdest cutest little animal I’d ever seen, and I was in LOVE…

33. I have no witty puns or any such, but a big SQUEEEEEEEEE!!! for the Sengi! If I had a list of favorite types of animals, Elephant Shrews would be near the top.

Denver Zoo has some, too, but not this species. The ones at Denver are the Black and Rufous Elephant Shrew. They are amazing and I adore them so much. XD

34. An elephant shrew? Is that kinda like a jumbo shrimp?

35. This is merely a Squirell in disguise.

36. Martha in Washington says:

@fatgrammafinn–wouldn’t you love to hear some of the cheers at said sporting events for the ESC Geoducks?

37. The disapproval, it burns…

38. In german it’s called “Kurz-Ohr-Rüssel-Springer” what would mean something like short-eared-nozzle-jumper =)

39. flutterbye says:

Speaking of geoducks, did anybody see that Dirty Jobs episode with Mike Rowe digging those things up?

40. fatgrammafinn says:

geoducks, puyallup, humptulips- the great northwet, gotta love it-that’s how we can tell if you’re a native or a tourist, we won’t even let you move here until you can pass the oral exams without choking or chortling

41. @fatgrammafinn – I already knew how to say “gooey-ducks” (which always remind me of the Far Side cartoon: “Eat it, Zog! Eat it, Zog!”) and my son who now lives in Lacy taught me “Pee-wallup,” but “humptulips” is a new one on me. How’s it said?

42. Martha in Washington says:

@fatgrammafinn–my personal favorite (and the one that ALWAYS stumps them) is Sequim. BTW, which side of the water are you on?

43. fatgrammafinn says:

@leilani…actually humptulips sounds the way it’s spelled. puyallup is more like pyoo, as in stinky-al, as in call me al – and up as in up- i’m down here in olympia, lacey, tumwater… the western tri-cities, a beautiful place, almost never too hot, almost never too cold, my folks moved out here when i was an infant from the midwest, they’d had enough of snow and heat and humidity and general ickyness

@marthainwa… how about steilacoom and quillayute, quinault and issaquah?
    those are good ones, too

44. Sengis rock! And just like you’d expect, their widdle noses wiggle!

45. @fatgrammafinn

>>i’m down here in olympia, lacey…

TUMWATER?!

i would go there!

46. fatgrammafinn says:

the locals abbreviate it TumH2O- native american for “a fine place to build a brewery”, remember the ad campaign for Olympia Beer… it’s the water, and a lot more….. the artesian wells here have won best water awards many times, fine water, crummy beer. Oly labels had either 1, 2, 3, or 4 dots on the back, if you were out on a date drinking beer, however many dots were on the back of your date’s label told you how many bases he expected to get to with you, ah to grow up in the 60’s and 70’s

47. Martha in Washington says:

@fatgrammafinn–I love listening to the weather reports in the fall when all the rivers flood…”flooding on the Snohomish, Skykomish, Suquamish, and Green Rivers is expected…” That always kills me! The Hoh Rainforest is a good one too. Muckleshoot and Dosewallips and Tullalip. God, we could go on for days, couldn’t we? I am north a little from you. Kitsap Co. My son goes to the band competitions in Tumwater.

48. @katz

>>sengis rock!

wow, that’s quite a big KRONCH for such a little gal! i love the camera work and the wipeout sound effects! and the reward for learning and watching the whole way through at the end? EEEEEEE!

49. fatgrammafinn says:

a little song comes to mind; “shrewby dooby doo” *sung in best falsetto sinatra voice*

@marthainwa… i was having a conversation with a clerk at the grocers one day, talking about how “Disaster Jim” (jim foreman king 5 news) always gets the wet weather duty up at the skykomish when it rains hard enough for the salmon to cross the road… the guy behind me wasn’t from around here so we clued him in to disaster jim

the store where i work has a big dip in the back parking lot, and when the wind whistles up I 5 from down south (chehalis gap) we get a puddle in the back room…we call it “the south fork of the little martin river” and tease each other that disaster jim should show up any minute for the salmon crossing

50. I’m no swordfish… that just struck me so funny. I must be really tired. I have been walking around the ‘great Minnesota getogether’ a.k.a. The Minnesota State Fair all day.I get the giggles when I am tired.
    When I see/hear Elephant shrew? I just feel it necessary to say Gesundheit!!

On a totally other note:
    Is it me or has this summer just kinda woooshed by a lightening speed?

51. HONK HONK
    HOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK
    HONK HONK HONK

52. Martha in Washington says:

@fatgrammafinn-every year the same rivers flood in the same spots and we hear the same news reports…you’d think people would learn, wouldn’t you?

53. platedlizard says:

Oh my goodness, I didn’t think they make shrews that big! Is he really as soft as he looks?

Well it takes a bit of pluck
    and a little bit of luck
    just to get about the muck
    just to get a geoduck
    And he hasn’t got a front
    and he hasn’t got a back
    and he doesn’t know Donald
    and he doesn’t go quack!

Get a duck, get a duck
    get a geoduck
    get a duck get geoduck
    get a duck a day!

54. The real question is: has this little guy been tamed?