Vintage Overboard

“Hey, guys? Could somebody throw me one of those — oh, what are they called? — those rescuing things? Oh, you know, the round things with the hole. Um, it’s named just like the candy? Totally drawing a blank here; it’s not Necco Wafers, I know that… Now I’ve got the word preserver stuck in my head, so it must be that candy with lots of preservatives… Man, it’s right on the tip of my tongue…”

Paris Exposition: ship, Paris, France, 1900 from Flickr Commons. (And yes, we know Life Savers were invented in 1912.)

Comments

1. Am I first?

2. Pic looks great for 1900 . . .

3. 260Oakley says:

Though he started with wine, he’s now listing towards port.
    (And I refuse to make the standard poop deck reference. Someone else must assume that responsibility. Thank you.)

4. If that dog fell over, probably would have broken neck or strangled! Needs harness! Life vest good idea, too!

5. Itth on the tip of my tongue– thatth why itth tho hard to thay it.

6. huh. I didn’t think color was invented until the 1930s.

7. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

Corianne, that photo was probably hand-tinted. You’re correct that commercial color photography was not widespread in 1900, but it was on its way; according to Wikipedia, experiments in color photography began around 1840, with some commercial equipment appearing as early as 1898. Kodak introduced its color Kodachrome film in 1935.

8. @Cheeper: That image was in 1900. That pup was lucky to have a leash on, considering the ‘humane treatment’ standards back then.

All said, it’s a very dreamy picture, though it almost looks like it’s a more recent tinting.

9. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!!! says:

….observing a moment/ silence for the pauvre boat passenger, qui [according to NTM's storyline, anyhow] n’est pas de plus…..

10. Queen of Dork says:

Oakley: Okay. I’ll do it. He’s all, “Im pooped!” Wow. That was as stupid as my favorite joke:
    Q. What’s brown and sticky?
    (*scratching head dumbfoundedly* Gosh. I don’t know. What the heck IS brown and sticky?)
    A. A BROWN STICK!
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! :)

11. @QoD: My FAVORITE EVER JOKE!

(except for “Why do cows have bells? Because the horns don’t work”)

12. He’s got a little list. ;)

13. Queen of Dork says:

Theresa: I KNOW!!! I love that joke! It’s so silly! :)

14. warrior rabbit says:

That joke is one of my faves as well. Heh. Never gets old, and works for all ages.

15. That looks to me like half of a stereocard, which means if you looked at both sides in a viewer, puppy would be in 3D! Vintage puppy 3D cuteness would simply be too much to handle.

16. Skervy dawgz can has Land Ho? Pirate ship awf port bao! Hard skwall to starbordz! Keep a wezzer eye! Wale spowtz abeam! Dinghy’s away!

17. “What’s brown and sounds like a bell?”
    “DUNG!”

(Goes with the poop theme) :mrgreen:

18. Shoot – I shoulda said, “Pirate ship of port bow-wow…”

19. “off”

grumblesatself

20. Queen of Dork says:

Theresa: Hahahahaha! That’s cute! I wish I could think of another joke but I can’t at the moment.

21. warrior rabbit says:

There’s a similarly themed joke about Beethoven’s last movement, but I can’t remember how it goes right now.

22. What did they find in Beethoven’s chamber pot?

23. 260Oakley says:

Warrior Rabbit, allow me:
    What’s brown and sits on a piano bench?
    Beethoven’s last movement

I must go and compose myself now.

24. Eww!

25. So we’re doing music jokes now? OK!
    What’s the difference between a viola and a coffin?
    The coffin has the dead person on the inside. Har har har!

26. Queen of Dork says:

260: Hahahahahahaha! :) Hahahahahahaha! That’s awesome! Did you just make that up?!!!

27. Queen of Dork says:

Oh. I guess I should scroll up and read all the comments before I say something. *wipes tears of laughter off face* You peeps are HILARIOUS!!!

28. Akkk! Moderated again!

29. Queen of Dork says:

Okay. Not just the joke itself, but the way 260 so formally said, “allow me” That SO cracks me up. It also reminds me of the old days when people would introduce someone to someone else and instead of saying, “Yo, dude this is Mike” (or whatever), they would say something more like, “Good evening, My Lord. Please allow me to present Sir Michael, Count of Poopooville.” And then everyone would have tea with their gloves on.

30. @QoD:

31. 260Oakley says:

Oh dear, I believe I have offended Theresa’s delicate sensibilities. Come on, everybody knows Beethoven sometimes got a little behind in his work.

(Sorry QOD, gloves are off.)

32. I am a delicate flower (placing finger beneath my chin and curtsying) :mrgreen:

33. Queen of Dork says:

Oh my. I feel the beast of the swoon becoming one with my thing. (I don’t know. Something Victoriean and what not like that which means, you guys are cracking me up to the point where I’m going to fall over)

34. “The beast of the swoon becoming one with my thing. ” Wow. Very beatnik!

35. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!!! says:

That’s our gal [QoD]!!! Beatnik Ballet, all tha way!!

BTW, Theresa, nice little gesture, there. SO evocative, yet discreet.

36. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!!! says:

and also, the great big grin on the Emoticon, just ADDS so much to the finger-on-the-chin gesture. Stunning, truly.

37. At first I read “hoverboard” and got really excited.

But this is cool too. ;)

38. AuntieMame says:

260Oakley, I thought it was the butcher who backed into the grinder who got a little behind in his work.

39. @NTMTOM writes “(And yes, we know Life Savers were invented in 1912.)” 1912! The year the TITANIC went down! Coincidence???!!! I THINK NOT!!! :P

@Auntie Mame: What did the firefly say when he backed into the fan? “De-lighted, no end.” :P

40. (singing in an irritatingly nasal voice) ♫ ♬ Neeeeeeeeeer, faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrr, wherEEEEEEver you arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre!!!!!!♫ ♬♫ ♬

41. Pup wonders is that guy waving or drowning.

My favourite joke.

“Sir you just farted before my wife”
    “I’m sorry I didnt know it was her turn”

42. FYI, check out this genuine color photography from Russia circa 1909-1912. Gorgeous stuff! And there’s a cute dog photo in the collection, too. ;)

43. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!!! says:

@ Theresa: so, shall I infer, that Celine Dion is yer fave?

44. My comment has been moderated for nearly 12 hours, the point of it will now be lost.

45. Hon Glad, your point still exists in the Platonic sense of ‘point-ness’, somewhere out there in the existential plane. Although the Mindless Mod-Bot has sadly- nay, cruelly!- denied us the pleasure of your point, I have faith that the essence of your point continues to shine unto the outer reaches of time.

46. Okay, so now MY comment is awaiting moderation. How utterly ironic.

47. Nekussa, thanks for sharing! Those are stunning!

48. Nekussa, thanks for sharing that link…wow! amazing photos.
    Do you notice (I see this photos of ancestors) why didn’t they smile? They always look so stoic! The only thing I can think of would be the lack of dental hygiene and tooth loss???? But, even the kids? Was it considered bad taste to smile in pictures? Anybody?

49. Queen of Dork says:

Hon Glad! I like your joke! I never heard that before! I’m wondering if that’s what got moderated?

DebNew: I’ve always thought that people back then didn’t smile because they were exhausted from the amount of work they had to do. Such as chopping a crap load of wood just to heat up a bucket of water. Which they had to lug from the stream. Not to mention living in extreme heat or cold temperatures without the benefit of electricity to provide air conditioning and heat. I have NO IDEA how people lived here in the Mojave in the summer without air. And to make matters more uncomfortable, I think the women especially wore several layers of clothing and girdles and things. Yeah. I think a photographer may have been hard pressed to get a smile out of me, too. Don’t know for sure but that’s kind of my theory. :)

50. Hon Glad! Whew! Free at last!

Very funny joke. And I like the way you spell, “favourite”.

51. @Theresa – I was wondering if someone noticed the coincidental year of LifeSavers invention!

52. SoCalSis, you make my point sound profound, when it’s just a fart joke.
    Queenie glad you liked the joke.
    Pyrit, I guess Favourite is the British spelling. In a documentary by Elliot Erwitt
    called Red White and Blue Grass one of the interveiwees refers to her Fave rite tune.

53. Oh for F**k sakes moderated agin.