A Breakfast Lament

“I’m a big girl now,” said Princess, “and I’m tired of Cocoa Puffs”
“I want to eat what you eat, Mom, with fruits and nuts and stuffs.”
So Mom brought down the Muselix, and she poured some in a bowl,
And Princess set herself upon her wise and womanly goal.

The oats were bland, the nuts were hard, the fiber chafed her teef.
She thought, “if this is grown-up food, adulthood must be grief.”
But persevered she through the meal, then stared with forlorn eyes,
“I ate a whole bowl of this stuff, and there’s no plastic prize?

Photo by Jodi & Jacy.

Comments

1. Blue Fairy says:

I feel the same way about grown-up cereal.

2. Reminds me of the times when I would eat breakfast with my rats at the table. They could balance themselves on the rim of the bowl, all four feet gripping the edge.

3. No plastic prize but it keeps you regular.

4. Great post. I grant Princess a smooch on the head and agree with her assessment. Then again, I’m 42 and just had Lucky Charms for breakfast.

5. She should TOTALLY get a toy whistle! *sigh* Life is NOT fair.

6. 260Oakley says:

Mike Hammer surveys the crime scene. He’s on the trail of a cereal killer.

7. 260Oakley says:

And they’ll probably use the fiber evidence to solve this crime.

8. Awwwwwwwwww. That’s all. Awwwwwwwww.

and Meaghan : Eeeeek ! But :-D

9. eeeeeee! the toe splayage! what a q-tee!

10. NTMTOM, you ROCK!!!

11. and i forgot to say: awesome poem, nomtom!!

12. Awesum, awesum. Quel talent !

13. Love the post – photo and poem, both. Poor Princess ;) Better luck next time, right?

14. I would just DIE if someone took away my CO. Today’s was excellent–the poem and then the anticipation. And then, finally the prize! What a wonderful way to start the day. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

15. NTMTOM expands his writing style!! Although that “teef/grief” rhyme may be cheating just a little…

WELL DONE, sir!

16. @Mtkees – I’m 43, and I had Apple Jacks for dinner two nights ago! So I’m there with ya… And they don’t give out toys like they used to… Used to be that you could get a toy in practically every kind of cereal… Not any more.. and I think it’s a shame… and down”rat” shame…

17. NTMTOM, once again, I bow in your general direction. Just brilliant.

18. Love NTMTOM.

19. Oh, BB/VA you are more observant than I – I have obviously had a Cute Overload, because I didn’t even register that it said “teef”.

20. Elisha B. says:

I second Kathy……..NTMTOM you rock!!(Totally :)
    This was a superb read!!! Oh, hammie is cute too with the beadie little eyes and itty, bitty toes….

21. TrixandSam says:

@Oakley: brilliant. B R I L L I A N T. you’ve let me with my brains oozing out of my ears.

22. anudder lurker says:

*snap snap snap snap*

23. NTMTOM, 260Oakley, Hon Glad: BREELLEEANT!

24. PS: Everybody, today is Bad Poetry Day!!

25. More important to notice is that the eater of said bowl of cereal shoved a nice variety of goodies to the top of the bowl for the little cutie to be able to share in breakfast.

and Oakley Absolutely fabulous!

26. It’s Mother Goose revisited! Nomtom, I raise my hat to you, good sir. Awesome poem, and so fitting with the picture – you captured the ham’s expression exactly with that last line.

27. NTMTOM, is there *anything* you can’t do? Brilliant verse, sir.

28. i have to say, one of the reasons i like this site so much is that it’s good to know there are other people as crazy as i am. for example, letting their anipals on the table while they eat. i usually have 2 or 3 kittehs sitting on the table, waiting for me to finish so they can lick the plate/bowl/whatever. and yes, they’re very patient about waiting. :)

29. Hmm, bad poetry day lets see what I can do.

I wasn’t to noetry, today was for bad poetry
    I”l present this to Theresa, to see if it will please her
    unless some other geezer, writes something better
    and manages to get her, approval.

30. zippythepoet says:

@ ceejoe: my boy kitty ‘Nanda sits on the kitchen table when I eat, but he does NOT patiently wait for me to finish. He tries to put his paw on my food — not that he necessarily wants to eat it, I think he does it cuz he knows it annoys me. I’ll even try to prop up whatever book I’m reading while eating to block him from my plate, but he still manages to reach around and try to touch my food! At that point, he either gets banished to the bedroom for time out or I go to the dining room past the pet gate just so I can eat my meal in peace. Sigh.

@ NTMTOM, Hon Glad, 260Oakley – y’all are too breeliant for words! I greatly admire your geniuses! :)

31. flutterbye says:

Doffs hat, performs deep bow in honor of poets and funny punny peeps!

32. Love it, love it, love it, NTMTOM! And a cute little hammy, to boot.

33. Princess looks like she’s thinking, “You ate it all WITHOUT ME?”

As for poetry:

Squishy little ham
    Loves nomming cereal but
    The bowl is empty

34. skippymom says:

I nominate this for Best CO Poem Ever. Absolute perfection. I never would have thought I’d say this, but I think this is a better poem than The Prickly Kid (although that was definitely one of the overall most awesomest posts ever). Nomtom, you could justifiably hang up your pen (er, keyboard?) and rest on your laurels if you chose to. In my opinion.

35. Genuinely delightful, NOMTOM! That was full of gems! Well done, yes, yes.

It’s good to be bad!

36. skippymom says:

And yes, I never eat a meal without at least one cat on the table, and I frequently will be patting a cat with one hand while eating with the other. I enjoy imagining that the neighbors across the street, whose dining room window looks directly into mine, are horrified and disgusted.

37. Awww this brightened up my morning! That is the sweetest little hammy.

38. NTMTOM, your posts make me smile more than any others. Thank you for brightening up my dull Tuesday workday. : )

39. NTMTOM shoots….and he scores again! The crowd goes wild!

40. White Bowl of Breakfast
    Splashed with cereal of joy
    A Hamsters delight

41. fatgrammafinn says:

i feel a Howitzer Prize in the offing… for Prose or Poetry that makes you snort bullets of squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee out of any orifice

42. You all just make me laugh and laugh!! Thanks!

43. Nom nom nom nom nom cant eat any more!!

44. bookmonstercats says:

I just knew it, NOMTOM has the romantic soul of a poet *sigh*. Could it get any better?

Hon Glad and 260 Oakley, I bow to you both. Now if I can just work out what Hon Glad’s poetic style is, I’ll be happy……..

45. John Shade!

46. siamesemama says:

NTMTOM, that was squee-tastic!

47. Lucy's Mommeh says:

StormCat, I’m 49. I STILL have just cereal for dinner sometimes. Recently killed off frosted Rice Krispies. Some days it’s Captain Crunch, some days, Froot Loops, some days Lucky Charms. Oh, and Quisp, on occasion.

48. Wonderful poem!!!! As for the little one, I recommend Reese’s peanut butter cereal!

49. The hammy should be the prize in my cereal box. Although I might not eat the cereal if it was, but who cares? Free ham.

50. Sara-bell says:

NOMTOM, I also bow in your general direction. Perfection in words & pictures is your super-power.

51. Awww, cute ham ham.
    and my fav cereal-for-supper choice is Honeycomb.
    As for sharing, I love picturing my moather-in-law’s face when either my birds or any of our hamsters were on the table. Somehow that made sharing with the little ones even more special. ;)

52. cambridge_rat_mom says:

I don’t remember much about my life before CO or NTMTOM, but it must have been, well, dull. Yet another reasons to love him so!

53. radiogirl says:

Awesome pome! Gold stars for extra effort, NTMTOM.

54. Mary (the first) says:

I’d be happy to get Princess a plastic prize. Maybe a little pink caddy??

55. Dudes . . . this is a post titled Breakfast Lament . . . with a poem about cereal . . . made on Aug. 18th.

Well, I made a post on my blog titled Breakfast Lament . . . which included a poem about cereal . . . on Aug. 15th: http://pahavit.livejournal.com/2010/08/15/, three days earlier.

Co-inkydink? GMTA? WTF? O.o

56. Stellar, NTMTOM, stellar!

57. Reminds me of Shel Silverstein! <3!!

58. The picture is cute and all…
    But the poem seriously made me “AWWWWW” lol

59. (The Original) Mel says:

So you get a prize, but not a plastic one.

60. (The Original) Mel says:

Princess looks like she tastes like butterscotch cotton candy.

61. Those are chunks of potato in there.

62. Not chunks of potatoes…just delicious pear, fresh almonds and trader joe’s high fiber cereal. I had some myself that morning! I was a good friend of Princess and know that Jodi and Jaci miss her dearly. She passed away recently and although there is now a cute little ham named Poppy in her cage (photos to come), we still miss Princess and all her ham ham cutie-ness. :-(

Thank you for the wonderful poem NTMTOM and for everyone’s fun and funny comments! :-)

63. I want to believe that you put potatoes on your cereal.

64. I am now all about the NTMTOM posts.

65. Queen of Dork says:

Paw on place mat. (check)
    Paw on bowl (yep)
    Beady eyeball (got that)
    Spoon in posish? (seems to be good)
    Whiskers whiskering (uh-huh)
    Ears at 10:00 and 2:00? (pretty close)
    Adorable? (YES!)

‘Kay. everything seems to check out.

66. Queen of Dork says: