The Tale of Piwi the Kiwi

This is too cool for jokes, so we’ll let the YouTube notes tell the story:

Wildlife experts found Piwi and transported him to a wildlife park to mend his broken leg. The vets decided to use a treadmill to help with Piwi’s recovery. At first, Piwi wasn’t too thrilled to be on the treadmill, but the vets have said that his workout has drastically improved his muscle tone and great chance of surviving out in the wild again.

Posted to our Twitter feed by Sunny. Good onya, mate!

Update: If you cannot view this video, try here instead. Thanks to The_Swede.

Comments

1. Hello, I’m an aptreadix…

2. This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds. :(
    And no combination of the search terms “kiwi”, “piwi”, “rocking” and “treadmill” seem to find an alternate video on youtube. Several other interesting videos though, but not Piwi the Kiwi.

3. OMG, Piwi is SO cute!! I want to snuggle!!!!!

4. 260Oakley says:

(Ki)We will
    We will
    Walk you
    (stomp stomp clap)

5. Thank god I was prevented from infringing on Sony Music Entertainment’s copyrights by proxy of this blatant attempt at profeteering by Cute Overload, Youtube, the governement of New Zealand and a cute, flightless bird of the family of Apterygidae.

I mean, what would this world come to if people could just freely steal music, put it on top of cute animal videos and then watch them outside of the United States? Anarchy! Chaos! Cats and dogs… You know it’s true.

Bitter? Maybe just a tad…

6. How much do they want so I can snuggles wif him? :D Piwi is adonkable!

7. Padfoot_Lives says:

Wow he’s really cool looking; I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of these birds before.

Is the green thingie his house, and that’s why they put it at the end? Kind of a carrot/stick deal?

I apologize if this is explained in the audio of the clip — I am at work so I have to have my speakers muted when I watch stuff on the web!

8. Well, I don’t blame him for not being “too thrilled.” I hate it when people surround me with cameras while I’m trying to work out. The flashes are so distracting.

9. Wish I had a workout buddy like that! Go Piwi!

10. Piwi’s a regular l’il kiwi battler… Makes me proud to be a New Zealander. Which is pretty rare these days…

11. piwi is the cuteist thing ever i want to snuggle with it :]

12. i love this vid :) the song goes perfectly!

13. ditto Wiener. F*** Sony.

14. and to think, i thought kiwi was a fruit… check out wikipedia – lots of fascinating info. the males and females mate for life, up to 20 years, and the male helps take care of the egg…

15. For some reason I keep hearing Richard Anderson telling me we can make him better than he was. Better. Stronger. Faster.

16. Colonel Jenna says:

Wiener, I think you are being too mild.

17. He looks like a toupee with legs!

18. I wanna hug that leg pillow!

19. Pause it at 1:00 and look at that cute butt! So rotund, plump, and tufty!

20. Awwww………..so cute! And what an awesome story! Yeah for Piwi and all the wonderful people for the rescue and care! :-)
    And I agree – F*** Sony! That song sucks anyway – they should be glad someone is using it!

21. Last and Furious says:

Okay, that’s it. My family will never spend another euro on Sony products again.

22. The_Swede says:

Here´s a copy of the video without music if u r not american:

23. Lay a trail of ants for him to hoover up, that’ll get him going.

24. I like how he starts madly attacking the towel at the end.

It’s too bad not everyone in the world can see this video. I’m slightly embarrassed to admit that this song has always had a rejuvenating effect on me.

25. Well,that’s enough cardio for the day. I’m a lean, mean, pecking machine! Now to the weight stack where I’ll blast my lats, traps, and pecs. Someone want to spot me?

26. TrixandSam says:

@Emerson – I’m with you regarding the song. It’s a toe-tapping, happy-maker for me.

I don’t think there’s anything more inspiring (and redeeming for the human species considering all the lousy things we do to our world and its inhabitants) than seeing animal rescue, care and rehabilitation.

(OK, when we do it for are own species is up there too.)

27. How remarkable. His caretakers are so gentle with him, and what a creative use of technology to help rehabilitate him.

I love that fact that just as he is about to make it to the big green tunnel, the treadmill moves him backwards and he has to start all over again, and every time it happens, he looks back at his coaches as if to say “WTF?! Are you kidding me?!” Then he starts walking again, hopeful that he’ll make it to the hutch this time…

28. Kiwi fruits were originally called “Chinese Gooseberries,” and were re-named by a clever California marketer. Now they are so associated with New Zealand that the country imports kiwis from California (pretty much the only other place they’re grown commercially) for 6 months of the year, as tourists expect to have ‘em, in-season or not!

Too bad we don’t “grow” kiwi birds in CA, too!

29. fatgrammafinn says:

there is still hope for the human race, most nights the news makes me ashamed to be human, but then i come to CO and can smile again! YAY PEEPS! YAY KIWI!
    YAY PIWI!

30. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

Our apologies to any of our readers inconvenienced by the music-related problem. I’ve updated the post with a link to another source of the video, provided by a reader.

31. Oops, I tell a lie … according to Wikipedia, apparently kiwifruits are grown all over the place. Not the kiwi bird, though … oh, and thanks (Sony be damned) for the ear worm!!

32. At Brinn OMG you made me Laugh. :)

And of Course 260Oakley you are as always the champ of the puns!

33. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!!! says:

@ brinann: I was all gullible, believing you were describing your experience in earnest….until the last few words. The paparazzi — whatcha’ gon’ do?? ;)

34. PS Kiwi’s are Yummy and an easy to grow vine… of course I live in California.. that is why they are easy to grow… too bad Kiwi birds don’t grow in California.

35. knittinkitten says:

Piwi and the paparazzi! Glad to know this plucky little guy will soon be running through the wilds of NZ again! I love how he gently pokes at the doctors/handlers while on the treadmill. He’s all please let me retire to my room. I can’t stand all these cameras!

36. AuntieMame says:

Would people be this hostile if it was a tiny independent label trying to protect its copyrighted material? Or authors protecting their written works? Why the double standard? The music belongs to Sony. Not to you or to anyone else to use with impunity. Why should they have to give up their legal rights just because they can “afford” the loss or because you’re not making a profit from it?

37. Ooh yay, finally able to see the vid through the alternate link! Thanks Nomtom and The_Swede (or should I say neighbor, I’m a Finn myself).

38. so clearly I am wrong, but did anyone else think the kiwi was an extinct bird? I saw this video about a week ago and cross-posted it to my journals, but nobody has offered an opinion. I know they are endangered and are only native to New Zealand, but did anyone else think they were extinct? (my memory sucks, so I’m probably mis-remembering something, just was curious)

39. Oh, and (just having read AuntieMame’s comment) I hope I didn’t come across as hostile in my first comment, that wasn’t my intention. I was just saddened I couldn’t share the joy of squeeing at Piwi.
    And reading through the comments, I am now totally curious to know what the song on the original video was.

40. Martha in Washington says:

If I had this little cutie for a walking partner maybe I would use my treadmill for something other than a clothes rack.

I wanna pet his butt. Is that wrong?

41. Sorry for the multiple posts, but just had to answer to Faerlyn, might you be confusing the kiwi to the moa? Those were enormous, ostrich-like flightless birds living in NZ, and were hunted to extinction by the Maori. Or well, then we have also the dodo, but that was in another part of the world. So the kiwi, though very rare, is not totally extinct.

/birdnerd rant.

42. mie – the song is Break My Stride by Ace of Bass. I kind of like it… it’s peppy…

43. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

ceejoe: The song is by Matthew Wilder. You may be confusing it with the similar-sounding “The Sign” by Ace of Base.

44. Thanks ceejoe, lol gotta say the song fits the video in an awesomely corny way. And what irony the vid being blocked in Europe but visible in the US due to a song from a Swedish band!

45. Determination…Piwi has it!!!!

46. NTMTOM: Yay, thanks! :) Just to make it clear, my (horribly off topic) rant was in no way directed at you guys. I know it’s impossible for you to forsee which videos will work and which ones will not.

I just get grumpy when even cute animal videos on the you tube are forced to play by the rules of Big Content… Like this will make even the tiniest of dents in their bottom line.

Also; D’aaaaw. :)

47. AuntieMame says:

Mie, my comment was not directed to you at all. You were simply expressing disappointment that you couldn’t see the video.

I can’t see it at the moment, either, because all videos are blocked in my office. They think I should be working or something…

48. ok, so I spelled Base wrong, and I have the artist wrong. I still think it’s peppy. ;)

49. Yay! I am so glad you loved it as much as I did NTMTOM!

50. When I was 12 I was fortunate to visit New Zealand, and even more fortunate to get a look at kiwis in person. They totally look like Muppets. I kept wondering when Kermit was going to show up!

51. Mary (the first) says:

Loved little Piwi and thought the song was perfect. Did you see where he tried to stop once and was gently nudged from behind? Put that on your resume: “Duties: Kiwi nudger”.

52. frogboots says:

Piwi is awesome. I love his name. And I love his human who is clearly taking great good care of Piwi.

Kiwi-bird Fun Fact – they have a very, very good sense of smell. Most birds do not – in fact, most birds have virtually NO sense of smell (although I understand that recently this has come under some closer scrutiny). Still, Kiwis like Piwi are excellent smellers.

53. dawnkeyotie says:

I like how Piwi pauses and looks around like “my hut doesn’t SEEM that far away…”.
    Good job Kiwi rescuers!!! Give that Piwi a snorf for us and pat his little tooshie when you set him free. xoxoxpiwixoxoxox

54. I love people who rescue critters! Hooray for you! Thanks for the peek into the Kiwi Piwi world. Adorabuls.

55. Mitzithecat says:

I love it! I’ve always loved that song, and Piwi (love the play on words) is so adorable. What an inspiration! I’ll have to remember this for those moments when I need a pick-me-up. This will be great for a blue Monday. Thanks!

56. gosh, i’ve never seen a kiwi before.

go piwi go!!!!!

57. If you have a kiwi, it follows, as the day follows the night, that you call him Piwi.

58. Martha in Washington says:

Am I awaiting moderation because I said “butt”?

59. Colonel Jenna says:

Thanks to The_Swede giving us the other link, I have tears in my eyes at my desk at work. How happy that made me to see Piwi in rehab. His helpers — that ranks up there with Baby Manatee Feeder as one of the great jobs ever!

It must make for awkward mixing at cocktail parties tho. There you are, a real cutie is sidling up to you and trying that classic opening line, “So, what do you do?” and you reply, “I hand-crank a kiwi treadmill.”

60. Martha- try ”tushie” next time! ;-)

I hear the Rocky theme..

61. That was a great video. Very uplifting!

And I can’t believe my whole life I’ve thought the words to that song were “ain’t no one gonna break my SPINE”–I’m actually glad it’s STRIDE, not spine!

62. How can one have given birth to Flight of the Conchords and NOT be proud to be a New Zealander? Kiwi is adorable!!!!!!!

63. Theadosia says:
  64. Theadosia says:

Oops, I can not HTML. Anyway, it’s a series on NZ’s native and introduced birdlife, presented with a wry sense of humour. Warning – birds are cooked and eaten during the programme (nothing endangered, though).

65. lurkingsmirk says:

Awwwww Piwi is the best…I kept waiting for him to use his beak as a 3rd leg. Grow strong little guy!

66. totally awesome! Including the brain worm.

67. warrior rabbit says:

Awww, this was on Cheezburger the other day… and Sony was a prob there, too. Ahhh Matthew Wilder. I had this album as a teenager. Well, I probably still have it somewhere. But no record player.

Piwi is very cute! Roly poly, kind of.

68. Awww blessssssss! :)

69. okay this vid is full of win.

Name win = Piwi
    Cute win = its a Kiwi for crying out loud
    D’aww win = his little leg is getting better
    Music win = Men at work (right?right? did I get that right?)

70. And I like the disapproving peckage at the end. No! NO! you are not putting that towel over me!

71. just sayin says:

@ AuntieMame

…except a tiny indie label wouldnt restrict access to their music b/c they’d be smart enough to know that blocking things from the internet is not a good business move.

in other news, I heart Piwi the Kiwi!

72. warrior rabbit says:

@derz Matthew Wilder

73. This video is much cuter and happier than that Kiwi! vid awhile back! :-)

74. i ain’t quittin, no time- nah nah nah nah nah.

75. Oh my goodness…little Piwi is too cute. How lovely that there are humans who are so willing to help their fellow residents. We all (including animals) have that inborn desire to keep living, keep going.
    To Dash– I love the toupee comment, it made me laugh aloud …I am curious though…just what kind of rugs do you see where you live?

As for the music, I thought it was perfect choice. How sad that it has come to this point that even music as borders.

76. @Theadosia: No, I haven’t seen it, but must be interesting, anything with birds and a wry sense of humor is intriguing in my book :) And NZ has such amazing birdlife! Nothing here in Europe really even comes close.
    Also, I echo completely Yuki’s comment. FotC alone should be reason enough for anyone to be proud to be from NZ!!

77. God I just love people involved in animal rescue/rehab. They’re so gentle with Kiwipants. Delightful video. Oh, & screw you, Sony.

78. Q U Appelle says:

Kiwis are nocturnal, thanks to the vid I have now seen more Kiwi than I ever would in a zoo or bird sanctuary, where they are mostly viewed in very dim light.

79. How did he break his leg? I suspect fowl play!

80. swimmer love says:

um……..interesting.

81. gael beale says:

Tena koutou – What a truly wonderful Bird the Kiwi is and what an innovative way to get it to exercise post injury. The Kiwi is only found in New Zealand, which matches both the Country and it’s People for being truly unique and I miss being there. E noho ra Gael

82. I just showed this to my dad and at first he thought it was a chicken.

A…chicken?

It doesn’t look anything like a chicken!

Cute as mess, but no chicken.

83. It is very cute xD But the kiwi is from New Zealand and ‘Come onya, mate’ is distinctively Australian. I think Kiwis (the people) would prefer not to be treated like an extension of Australia. Lumping New Zealanders and Australians together is like us lumping Canadians and Americans together. Though you have to admit, you guys do sound excactly alike…