That is One Big Baby

On July 13th, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay welcomed a baby white rhinoceros:

The female baby is the fifth white rhino born at Busch Gardens since 2004.

The baby weighed in at an estimated 140 pounds at birth, and she’ll gain approximately FOUR pounds EACH DAY until she reaches her Volkswagen-sized weight of 3,500 to 4,000 pounds. It’s safe to say that nobody will be putting baby in a corner.

Keep ‘em coming, Nick G. Photo by Matt Marriott

Comments

1. Maru heepo! :)

2. hai litl birdy he he hai mommy i grow to be yor size he he

3. What’s that wet stuff momma? Momma? Momma?

4. reminds me of baby gee-raffe post:
    and the stork flew away with a hernia

tee hee hee

also:
    that baby’s gonna grow up to be a hippo-LOT-a-mus

5. Hehehe, she’s being chased by a bird at the end.

6. Colonel Jenna says:

Four pounds a day? I’d have to move into the Cheesecake Factory to pull that off. Mom’s lucky she doesn’t have to push a stroller.

7. O NO He/She/IT DI-unt!!!! says:

i got only one (sadly unoriginal) thing to say:

O.
    M.
    G.

how kyooooooot

8. Squiggle Neck and Maru comments made me LOL :D

9. No heepo! Rhino! :) Also, not to be too pedantic or anything, but it’s “Volkswagen.”

10. fatgrammafinn says:

not exactly a lap-rhino but bery adorabubuhl

11. Lookit her frolic!

12. I love the wildebeasts – they are all “whatcha got here?”

13. Rhino: Are you my mummy?
    Bird: Whut?!
    Momma: C’mere you, don’t talk to strangers

14. Awww so cute wehn she runs and when she stops to check out the other animals soooooo cute!

15. The squee hath kilt me. Kilt me ded.

16. PS: Lookit her FEETS!! It’s like she’s walking on pie pans!

17. Born with full-grown ears, I see.

18. Poor kid, born in an amusement park.

19. I want my mooommy…

20. knittinkitten says:

Only one other person has mentioned the redonkulous ears on this bebbeh! Too cuuuuute! She’s adorables! Good job Rhino Mom!

21. @Guido – if she likes beer, she has it made.

22. She has a lot of growing to do – her mama’s head is bigger than she is.

23. biscuithead says:

I want to nom her ears!
    Of course I know that if I did, it would be the last thing I ever do.

24. “It’s safe to say nobody will be putting Baby in a corner.” BAHAHAH! Nice!

25. Exactly: Da feeetz. I never knew they had such cute round feeetz.

26. TrixandSam says:

“…House Hippo, meet Room Rhino. Room Rhino, meet House Hippo…”

27. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!!! says:

ok I was inaccurate, in claiming that I would only have one comment.

I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally reeeeeeeeeeeeealy LOVE the bebeh white rhino !!!

Sign me up, though for the “Yeahbut”/ Pedantics Klub.
    (switching into Thug Dialect)
    “How you gon’ call this here grey metallic kid a WHITE rhino????
    LOOKIT that there HONKY white ibis bird-thinggie!!! Now THAT’s a WHITE critter. Can’t you see the difference btw white and grey????”

Signed,
    (sigh)
    Expecting to be Moderated
    (In Moderation, of course!!! :) )

28. Ummmm, is that her daddy she’s following around, or do mom’s nipples show up in strange places?

29. Gangreless says:

Dirty Dancing reference WIN :)

30. @dg1532

>>they are all “whatcha got here?”

i know! they’re all like, “what is that? where ya goin? what’s your name? wanna play? hey, wait up!”

31. I love the horn stub. Good thing it’s just a stub or the birth would have been VERY uncomfortable for Mommy.

32. skippymom says:

There is a rather odd little children’s book called Hippo! No, Rhino! that came out a couple of years ago. I think many people here might enjoy it.

33. debg, most ungulates/ruminante=s have udders between their back legs. See, horse, cow, sheep, etc.

34. Could you just guess trying to give birth to a 140 pd big baby?!!!

35. knittinkitten says:

I just watched the video, the cuteness having to be broken into separate viewings of pictures and video so I don’t faint from the CO, and it’s sooooooooooo cute I can’t believe it. I love how the Gnus are following the mommy and bebbeh and are all “Hey aren’t you new here?”

(pun intended!)

36. Sasha's Mum says:

I love :15 when baby says “Hi there! I just hafta ack my mom if it’s okay to go play with you guys.” Turns around. “Mom? Moooommmm!?!” Runs after mom.

37. Claudia C says:

Adorbhuls behbeh. Good thing she has no horn. Nursing would be very uncomfortabuls also.

38. Would love to know the deets on the music in the video. Has sort of a Peter Gabriel-ish sound but I don’t recognize it. Anyone know?

Love this little bebeh & mama!

39. So follow me follow
    down to the hollow
    and there we will wallow
    in glorious mud

40. I’m worried about all the wildebeest running around there. You know they killed Mufasa.

41. So much glorious cuteness!!! baby rhinos (and hippos) might be some of the cuteness wild babies ever. The horn nub! I just love how she runs into everything with so much enthusiasm, quickly replaced with trepidation: “Wildebeast? Water? Squiggle-necks? Halp! Mama!” So sweet.

42. oh yeah, and the hover text killed me. superb.

43. 13th july is my birthday too! what a lovely creature to share with.

44. what is the difference between the white and black Rhino?