“Let’s welcooooome bachelor number one!”

Hi, my name is Skittles and I like dining on crustaceans by candlelight, being clingy, and unicorns.

This little guy is one of eleven potentially new species found after a deep-sea expedition off Canada’s Atlantic coast. To read more, head to National Geographic. And as always, thanks to Marilyn T. for sending us these gems.

Comments

1. Peeeeeeeenk!
    So, is this new species going to be called Octopoda adorabuls?

2. A potentially new species… awesome! A small little cute thing like this – AND it’s purple! I’m in. Give it anything it wants. ;-)

With Love and Gratitude,

The Intentional Sage

3. Awwww blorp! :)

4. kibblenibble says:

The tentacles are curlingks! ♥

5. It’s a cute, widdle, squishy, pink Jolly Roger.

6. How is he at covering the spread on soccer games?

7. squeeee!!!

8. He looks like one of those mushroom beings in the Super Mario Bros. world, that has grown tentacles.

9. vandevere says:

Aww! A living Cthulhu Plushie!

10. earlybird1 says:

And a wee bit like the ghosties on Pac Man! :)

11. I think we need to add a new Rule of Cute for curly things. Everything is cuter when it’s curly.

12. Yay for Newfoundland :D

13. Awww, what lovely coloring. He must be very wee, look at the size of the particulate he is floating on.

14. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!!! says:

I would also like to draw our viewers’ attenshon to the Tag “Swimmies”!!!!

Niiiiiiiiiiiice!!!!!

15. knittinkitten says:

This is the cutest cephalopod ever! The curling tentacles, the cute leetle eyes, and the colour. Squeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love how he’s not afraid of the camera, just hanging out while they take his picture.

16. I like the shiny pearlized look!

17. What a beautiful little creature. I love all animals but am fascinated by ocean life. What an exciting discovery these new species are!

18. tracylee says:

I concur, O NO, I am digging the swimmies tag… We need more swimmies! Bring ‘em on!

19. Holy crap, he’s so cute, I would totally date him!!!

20. flutterbye says:

Squeeeeeesh! Love the matching poiple headband….BIG eye capsular akshun and, as previously pointed out, teh tentacle curlingks! Awesome critter!!

21. loves2sneeze says:

awww, so kyoooot! purple is the perfect color for octopi!

22. AuntieMame says:

He (she?) looks so…earnest.

23. Can he change colour to match partners outfit? A usefull extra bonus I think.

24. Pinkie Purple ‘Pod
    Prettily Plucks Peeps Pumpers
    Prongs Posts Prizewinner

25. I would of said he was the original Purple People Eater but he’s too teenie weenie and cute.

26. just how I like my octopi. cute, purple, and Canadian!

27. Awesome symmetry, too. I’ll imagine him clinging to a giant fingertip like recent mini glorpini.

28. i_wuvs_puttins says:

I’m a sucker for a cute cephalopod!

29. TrixandSam says:

Great minds think alike Marilyn T.!! I also submitted this to CO. Glad it made it to the Big Show!!

30. I gasped when I saw this, so qte!

I’m a sucker for cephalapods (no pun intended) and this guy is one of the cutest evar!

Tiny purple octopus: “Oh, hello. It’s about time you noticed me. I’ve been sitting here trying to catch your attention by being adorable for some time now.”

31. purty.

32. To those of you mentioning curliness and rules of cuteness, I’d like to direct your attention here: http://cuteoverload.com/2006/05/05/teal_squeal/

33. It looks like something that fell out of a charaben bento box.

34. paulajeanne says:

What a cutie patootie! Never thought I’d think of a cephalopod as cute, but this one sure qualifies

35. Perfect Fibonacci tentacurls!

36. Curlycutes! The big dark button-eyes are awesome.

37. Adorabuhls x 8!

38. *plink plink*

39. I guess its true what they say…..all Canadians are cute :)

40. This is where pink champagne bubbles come from!

41. Martha in Washington says:

Can octopi blink? I distinctly hear a “plink plink” when I look at this cutiepi.

42. Martha in Washington says:

@pyrit–may I have a glass please?

43. Of course Martha, how very bubbly of you!

44. darkshines says:

I think it looks like a she. She needs a little pink bow on her head ^_^

45. It’s obvious that this is a girl octopus (octopa?). Just going by the colors and the cute headband. Does she play tennis, by any chance?

46. Believe it or not, there is already a plush version:

47. What a gorgeous little cutie pie! Everything about this little critter is beautiful. And I love the caption “I like…being clingy and unicorns…” haha.

48. “Bachelor Number One: Can you accurately predict the outcome of World Cup?” :D

49. “Cuddly-chops? I refuse to be known as Cuddly-chops!… please? PLEASE? WAAAH!”

50. Ali-baba says:

soooooo adorabuhls! Does anyone else want to knit him/her a rainbow sweater? He/she looks all goose-pimply! :-)

51. BagOGuts says:

Skittles needs to rule the world. IMMEDIATELY!

52. O NO He/She/IT DI-unt!!!! says:

@ Leilani: wow. Je me suis “impressed”!!!

53. Grooviest. Sea critter. Evar.

54. Yay for Curly things!

55. awww…
    wat a adorable little creature

56. He’s SWO cute and tiny! Now this is why I DON’T EAT WITTLE CALAMARI!!!!

57. Sharon Lovejoy says:

Hopefully this creature’s range does not overlap with that of the piglet squid featured recently. If those two met, the cosmic repurcussions caused by the combined cuteness could be catastrophic!

58. Move over, Justin Bieber!! The cutest Canuck title goes to this very deserving octopus, I believe.

59. um… why does the site always jump back here, whenever i try to click the national geographic link?? that’s not exactly cool. :( wanted to see all the other creatures too. :(

60. usally the males are the ones who have the bright awsome colors to impress the girls but this litle guy is the most cuteist litle octopi, EVER!!

61. Madrigorne says:

It’s a cutiepus!

62. swimmer love says:

cute!!! skittles is a really cute name 4 him/her! :-)