T-Birds Aren’t Born Pink Ladies

You may want to flock to Busch Gardens Tampa Bay to get yo’ swoon on because since June 3rd, seven baby Caribbean flamingos have hatched.

And to add extra incentive, the newest long-legged fluff was born just a few days ago on Sunday, July 25th.

And as Sender-Inner Nick G. points out, while obviously fuzzy, baby flamingos are not born pink…

…their pink coloring comes from the carotenoid pigments they consume as part of their diet.

As always, thanks Nick G.

Comments

1. O NO (he/she/or it) DI'UNT!!!!! says:

NTM, ye’re a geeeeeeeeeeeeniyus with slightly eccentric hovertext.

(*snerk*”Where’s Waldo???& “****** lawn ornaments…” & *double-snerk*)

2. kibblenibble says:

The teeny winglet and soft fuzzulence in the first picture is so sweet. Who knew baby flamingoes were so cute?

3. Mary (the first) says:

That is TOO much! I’d put those cuties on my lawn any time!!

4. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

@O NO: ‘Twas Prongs penned this post, not I, so it’s her genius you celebrate, mate. :)

5. The last picture looks like they are in a musical number, in some sort of synchronized dance XD

6. Queen of Dork says:

Strangely, I actually saw Olivia Newton John last weekend at the Venetian at an herbal conference. Ummmm Peeps, I’m really not making this up. I couldn’t if I tried. Also, nice flamingos. *gulp* strangeness.

7. earlybird1 says:

Ha! I LOL’d at the Mr. Burns reference!! Ahoy-hoy!

8. O NO (he/she/or it) DI'UNT!!!!! says:

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops mea culpa.

OK THEN PRONGS “IS THA WIRD” !!!

9. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

And now, from the mostly forgettable Disney feature Fantasia 2000, flamingos with yo-yos!

10. marthava says:

July 25. My birfday. :)

11. Queen of Dork says:

P.S. I don’t lie. I just don’t. I just can’t. I never lie. I really don’t.

12. @NTMTOM – Your YouTube-ing abilities continue to astound!

13. Viola DeLesseps says:

What an utterly gorgeous little miracle of a baby critter!!!

14. KARAOKE!

15. baby still has to grow into his toothpick legs :)

16. Just want to bury my face in that first pic of soft downy fluff-ness!!

–bossgripes.com

17. Is anyone else seeing a bit of Gary Spivey in the first pic??

18. chanpon says:

The bebeh looks like Rory Calhoun in the 2nd through 4th pics. Love the winglet.

19. I love that yo-yo loving flamingo! Best part of that reboot. Flamingos may look cute but boy, they stink to high heaven.

obligatory simpsons reference: Get in the plane.

20. I thought these guys were native to the lawns of 3 bedroom suburban ranch houses. I’ve had a pair roosting on my lawn for the last 14 years!

C.E. Grundler

21. I love how they start doing the one leg up right from the get go.
    To cegrundler—Yes, here in Minnesota too..they stand up so straight & errect here…summer, fall, winter, rain, snow..they stand so proud. Hardy critters aren’t they? :>)

22. Peanut's mama says:

The last hovertext had me LOL!!!

23. O NO (he/she/or it) DI'UNT!!!!! says:

as a corollary to “Where’s Waldo” hovertext, I offer:
    :) “Where’s Bea?????” :)

(CO regulars will recognize this from a previous picture/ story ….)

24. dawwwww, fuzzballs on knobular legs!

25. Queen of Dork says:

Hi O On! My e-mail doesn’t work anymore. I don’t know why. Hopefully it will again some day. Sorry for the grab everyone. Please don’t get really, really mad at me for that.

26. Queen of Dork says:

Hahahahahaha! I said O On! hahahahahaha! I meant O No!

27. I was pretty sure that baby koala a few weeks ago looked liked the softest thing ever made, but now that spot belongs to that first flamingo. PS, science tip for the day: the pink color comes from carotenoids in their diet. If they don’t get enough, they grow less-pink feathers. I’m glad we don’t work that way.

28. O NO (he/she/or it) DI'UNT!!!!! says:

so does that still mean, I shouldn’t “get really, really mad”???? ;)

or is it ok to “get really, really mad”?? ;)

29. @ QofD if it is the email on your computer that is having a bit of a problem you may be able to do a system restore to fix it. go to all programs/ then tools /then system restore/ then follow the instructions and for the date to restore to, pick about 2 days before you stopped being able to access your email.
    this may or may not fix it but I have found it to be sufficient for most issues.

Apologies to all for the thread jack.. and now we return to our daily cute… The fluff butt is just killing me LOL,

and @ JenJen What you mean you do not want to grow pink feathers? think of how much fun we would have accessorizing the pink feathers.

30. O NO (he/she/or it) DI'UNT!!!!! says:

(**friendly wave to Aquamarine**)

31. My favorite picture is the third one (“One of these things is not like the other”!) But the first two captions back to back had me giggling so hard I dropped the phone trying to answer the darn thing. Prongs, epic. :)

The eetybeety wing in that first pic is just all kinds of ridiculous, too. And WANT TO TOUCH THE FLOOFF! You’d think after years of handling day-old fowl I’d have had my fill, but noooooo…. *sigh!*

NTMTOM, the flamingo part is, I think, the best bit out of that whole revisit. The “whell FINE then *sulk!*” and “meh heh heh” :twisted: -type expressions and body language…. Whodathunk you could do so much with an avian croquet mallet? :D

P.S. Theresa, I have not met more than a handful of plastic flamingos in person outside of home & garden supply stores. And yet I always see a number of them for sale. Now I know where they all go: They migrated!

32. i love the first pic!!! adorable!!! XD

33. Flamingo chick is at ugly duckling stage.

34. Love, LOVE the last photo AND hovertext! LOL!

35. SnuggleBunny says:

OMG! I live in Tampa! :runs out door in PJs to Busch Gardens: ;*)

36. Only one flamingo is facing the opposite direction, in the last pic..