Uh, Could I Have My Pen Back?

Listen, sorry to bother you while you’re eating, but I was filling out your feeding chart just now, and my pen seems to have fallen into your mixed greens. And that was kind of my favorite lime green Flair felt-tip, probably wouldn’t agree with you anyway, so if you’ll hold still for a moment, I’ll just reach in and…

You know, on second thought, you go ahead. Really, that’s fine.

From the National Geographic Picture of the Day, courtesy of Marilyn T.

Comments

1. biscuithead says:

Masseeeve schnozzle!!!!

2. chanpon says:

Hungry, hungry hippo!!

Yeah, no kidding. Never knew hippos are so vicious if it weren’t for my watching Animal Planet 24/7.

3. 260Oakley says:

Nom de plume

4. Mooooh the cutiiiiie! Look at that eye! :-D “You’re just too good to be true. Can’t take my eyyyyyeee off of you… ” ;-D
    Hoo the recently shaved but not quite that recent, type of hair, looks like my arm pits at the moment. (what, you mean “too much information”…. ?) :-D

5. Whisk-ery!

Anyone else seeing a heart shaped dimple betwixt teh nostrils?

6. @Metz: I see it now!

7. peapod?

8. I had no idea that hippos had such short thick whiskers. Those must be great for exfoliation!

Love the hovertext, by the way. Clarity, thy name is NTMTOM.

9. @260Oakley rules forever!

10. marthava says:

BEEP. More like HONK, actually.

11. The beagle ate the innards of a blue pen once. The customer service guy at Bic assured us it wouldn’t hurt her, and didn’t laugh at all.

12. 260Oakley says:

I would say that this animal has a serious case of five o’clock shadow, but I don’t want to be hippocritical.

13. He’s like a salesman or newspaperman, chewing on a stub of (something), loose nechtie … “I said I need five lots by tomorrow! Whaddayamean? Well, call him back! I”m not playing around here, see?”
    I dunno. Insert your own humorous voice, pls!

14. Thee eye haz it. :)

15. @Berg, exfoliate WHAT? Or WHO? :P

16. @Theresa: I suspect the whiskers exfoliate whatever they come in contact with, regardless of whether or not exfoliation is desired. Methinks the hairs might be a bit too coarse for my tender skin…

17. Awww. He’s pouting! He really wants to keep the “pen”.

18. @Berg, speaking of exfoliation:

19. I think it’s okra.

20. Hippo getting ready to write his own celebrity bio…before Kitteh Kelly does.

21. Reminds me of Jessica the Hippo. I love her.

22. :::Reaches out with warm waxing strip and places it on hippo lip.:::
    Okay NTMTOM, would you yank that wax strip off please? I’ll just go get an ice cube to ease the sting!
    ::shifty eyes . . . runs away as fast as possible:::

23. Only if ya’ hug me first!

24. @Dash: LOL! Don’t forget to bring back the bactine, I think NOMTOM’ll need it. :-D

25. ScoutsMom says:

Um, I think you got a little something in your mustache. How awkward.

26. ::fetching bactine, a muppets band-aid and a top notch surgeon and trauma team:::

27. I don’t know…I think this one circles back around from cute and dives headlong into scary/ugly…

–bossgripes.com

28. @Dash: OMG I just went to the site linked in your name and OMGOSH that pic of the eagle? hawk? Is absolutely STUNNING! I keep going back to it and just staring at it. Beautiful.

29. @occula

i totally see that!

“ack, why do i bother? someone get me a seltzer!”

30. @Saffron

“…little did i know that in just a few months i would be an internet sensation… all i know is that at the time, i was young and maybe a little too naive…”

31. @bossgripes (aka “bossgripes.com” of “bossgripes.com”)

i’m with you. if we could just pull the zoom back a few hairs… and… PERFECT!

32. whiskerfaaaace!

33. Countess says:

@260Oakley–you crack me up!! “Nom”! de “Plume”!!!! I want to be you…

34. @Oakley, you are my hero. Unless of course you are a girl, in which case you are my she-ro.

35. 260Oakley says:

Countess and Nikki, you guys are the best pun pals a girl could ever ask for.

36. O NO (he/she/or it) DI'UNT!!!!! says:

I posit the suggeshe that this hippo is a close relative to …. the walrus!!!!

37. This looks like a job for an oxpecker!
    Oh stop it. I’m talking about the symbiotic services provided by those little white birds.

38. It’s been said before, but it’s worth saying again:

We come to appreciate the cute.
    We stay to appreciate 260Oakley.

39. Yee up, 260Oakley packs the big pun guns! :-)

40. i know somebody’s grandma who has a chin that looks just like this one!

41. Rick, the People’s Potamus

42. 260Oakley says:

@Theresa, Fluffy, Pyrit
    Y’all are just gluttons for punishment, aren’t you?
    I bow (as deeply as I can over my post-dinner stomach) in your general direction.

43. @Metz! Thank you so much! She’s a hawk. A beauty. She is actually at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum and I see her periodically there. So lovely.

44. BStrange says:

marthava @10: I think we’re edging into “AWOOOOO-GAHHHHH” territory here!

45. BStrange says:

Theresa… That vid… Just caused me to envision the Old Spice Guy using the Tasmanian Devil (of oogblaaaarghhhhrarararararrggghhh, buzz-saw-through-tree-trunks fame – I know, not a wolverine, but close enough!)…. as a loofah.

Which gives a gi-nom-ous hippo face a run for its funny money.
    :shock:

46. @Dash, I do hope you don’t mind (and iffen you do I tewtally understand since it is your business/job and I shall remove posthaste) but I made her my wallpaper! Gives my coworkers a bit of a start but then they start admiring her right away. :-)

47. dogsleder says:

Pretty sure that’s a green bean. Used to work at The Oregon Zoo. Hippos love all manner of veggies, as well as whole watermelons for a summer treat. Once had a baby hippo in the nursery for a time. Kubwa Sana (“Very Large” in native language) always tried to get in our laps if we sat down by him on the floor. Even though quite small, he didn’t really fit very well. The most wonderful of many amazing things about him was his tender baby skin. It looked like light-brown aspic, transluscent, with little freckle-like dots of color…pink, blue, shades of darker brown.

48. Hon Glad says:

Weirdo letters are always written in green ink, now we know who writes them.

49. @metz I don’t mind! Please enjoy! And thanks for asking!

50. @BStrange:

“Dive! Dive!”

51. Hon Glad says:

Wah oogah, wah oogah.Dive Dive!

52. BStrange says:

dogsleder – Aww. :) I can’t help but envy anyone who’s seen a baby hippo up close and in person enough to know that. Even if it meant squished laps.

I’ve always wondered what baby hippo ears feel like. (This from someone with a love of cupping cat ears gently beneath my hand… flick. flick. flickity.)

53. BStrange says:

And Theresa: Ever seen NCIS, and Abby’s “Bert the Hippo” who flatulized when squoze?

Bert-type stuffed hippo (perhaps a Squishable?) + ww2 sub dive horn = awesome.

54. O NO (he/she/or it) DI'UNT!!!!! says:

er, Theresa???

mayhap yer AWOOGa AWOOGa submarine whatever soundeffect….would also be relevant under the Rick Astley song alarm clock bit??????

Just a thought. ;)