Surprisingly, He Likes Listening to Manilow

Michael W. believes that this flamboyant guy may be a tussock moth caterpillar. This may be, but what’s certain is he’s most likely related to Howard Jones.

Also a little old-school Sting, Johnny Rotton, and Bowie, Michael W.

Comments

1. You can’t tell which end is which! *gently pets caterpillar fuzziness*

2. amazing

3. Who ever thought a bug could be so cute? Love the little flamboyant fella! He looks so happy (and makes me so)!

4. For those too young to remember:

5. Well Hello Mr. Fancy Pants caterpillar! That wacky Mother Nature is so darned creative. (Love the hovertext.)

6. chanpon says:

Eeeekkk, I get creeped out by catepillars, but his hairdo is so oddly mesmerizing! I must touch eeeet, and freak out.

7. Yes, I can definitely see the Howard Jones in him!

8. Oh my god it’s so fluffy I’m gonna die!!

9. kibblenibble says:

Hey, Bug Man! Come and check this out! :-)

10. Martha in Washington says:

I would love to see what kind of plain brown moth this fabulous fella turns into.

11. Kathleen says:

For those even younger…it’s actually Johnny RottEn, not RottOn. But the catepillar can roll on with its bad self nonetheless.

12. And from the Campy department, here is Sammy Davis, Jr.’s version of life as a caterpillar.

13. I’m seeing A Flock of Seagulls, myself.
    OMG, and now I’m HEARING them!
    I ra a an, I ran so fa ar awa ay ay ay . . .

14. CatViccer says:

Cracked up @ second hovertext!

15. Chrystal says:

it’s cute, but i’m getting itchy just looking at it :\

16. Lucy Loup-Garou says:

aawwwww, lookit him standin’ up on his li’l legs! Cute!

17. Orgyia definita, the Definite Tussock Moth. Though those fuzzy fluffs look cute and soft, they’re actually stinging spines that come off in the mouths of would-be predators. Our skin is typically too tough to be pierced.

Any Tussock Moth when it’s super-tiny are some of the cutest things you can see under a leaf!

18. BStrange says:

Biggest case of giggles I’ve ever had because of a caterpillar! And Prongs’s third hovertext up there, that too. Tussock Earworm Caterpillar!

Also, some tussock moths are actually quite pretty for moths, who do tend to pale beside their butterfly brethren: http://www.royalalbertamuseum.ca/natural/insects/bugsfaq/pics/tussock3.jpg – Sunshiny!

19. BStrange says:

Google’s new image search display is driving me a bit nuts. Meant for that link to be this link: http://www.royalalbertamuseum.ca/natural/insects/bugsfaq/tussock.htm

20. That last picture, you’re seeing his six real legs. The “legs” on the rest of him are not actually legs but “prolegs” that go away after metamorphosis. They have no segments and are controlled by hydraulics unlike their real legs. COOLNESS! I love bugs…

21. fish eye no miko says:

but what’s certain is he’s most likely related to Howard Jones.

Oh, hello teenage memories!
    /SCIENCE!

22. This is the story of Johnny Rotten:

23. Hon Glad says:

Go easy on the bleach Mr Caterpilly, it’ll make your hair brittle.

24. I’ll say old-school Bowie.

Based on the colors, I’m guessing this guy is poisonous? That’s hot!

25. MissJade says:

It’s the ‘pillar from Labyrinth!!

‘allo… come on in and meet the misses.

26. Haha, the last pic is like he´s singing at the top of his voice “I´M WALKING ON SUNSHINE WOAH-WOAH-WOAAAAAAAAAAAH”!

27. This was cute until I looked up tussock moth caterpillars and read about their life cycle….

28. StormCat says:

Fuzzy Kittypillars!! I wuvs them!! I don’t get to see many of them down here in South Carolina, but I try to enjoy them while I can… *gently pets*

On another note: I found a big Praying Mantis on the side of my house the other day! He wasn’t all green like normal, but more like a grayish color… Does anyone know if that’s a sign that they’re old? Another friend of mine found one on her work window that was 6 inches long! I think they’re so kewl lookin’! We need a Praying Mantis this week, pweeeze!!!

29. Lucy's Mommeh says:
  30. MandyMo says:

The molars hovertext made me snort and then keel’d me ded. This guy’s ‘do is fabulous, as well.

31. MissJade read my mind!

32. Let’s face it, ladies: that yellow boa he’s wearing is FIERCE! (quickly snaps fingers across face!)

–bossgripes.com

33. O NO (he/she/or it) DI'UNT!!!!! says:

@ Lucy’s:

those have GOT to be the most-detailed photos, short of something taken through a MICROSCOPE ….”wahl, Ah NEVVAH”!!!! [aka = "wow"]

(Although I kept looking at the basic top screen…it took me a minute to think of scrolling down to where the pics of the critters actually are…)

34. StormCat says:

Lucy’s Mommeh – OMG! What a kewl lookin’ dudette!!! (I’m assuming Dudette, although it’s hard to tell…) I love the colors!!! I don’t think I’d ever make it work if I came across a beauty like this in my yard!

35. Luff the little fella. The last picture looks like he’s standing up and singing “I Gotta Be Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee”

36. Peanut's mama says:

OK I hate bugs, so CUTE is not actually a work I would in any way associate with them, but the sunny yellow color of this one KINDA makes up for it.

Why am I the only one who sees a scrubber brush, like the kind to clean floors etc?? I think his momma is in my cleaning bucket under the sink……..

37. Peanut's mama says:

**word NOT work.

And I just checked out the pics Lucy’s Mommeh posted via link. HELLLLLLL NNNOOOOO!!! If that freakin thing came anywhere near me I’d freak the hell out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. StormCat says:

Peanut’s Mama – but look at the face! She’s looking right at ya, begging you to see the beauty in the colors! The purples, and yellows! Try not to think of it as a “bug”, try to see the beauty in the colors and their amazing ability to survive this crazy world…

*shrug* I tried… :)

39. Yep. Definitely Orgyia Defenita, one of the many brown moths. No less cute though. Glad to see some caterpillars on CO.
    See:
    This instar
    The Adult

40. brinnann says:

Peanut’s Mama, StormCat… I’m thinking along the lines of “Cute or Sad?” only it’s more like “Pretty or Scary?”

41. FLUFFLY!

(doesn’t it look like he’s got 3 or 4 corn kernels stuck to his back?)

42. flutterbye says:

Beautiful to look at, but dangerous to touch. Nature’s itching powder!

Looks more like Billy Idol got scared and ‘pillar probably likes Liberace…. just sayin’.

Awesome insect world, never ceases to amaze or gross me out, depending on the critter!

43. Lucy's Mommeh says:

NEAT website & more mantids (and yeah, that’s a word!)

44. HO JO! Loved him! Yes, I’m old.

45. Also, “SCIENCE!” was Thomas Dolby, not Ho Jo.

As aforementioned, am old.

46. leslie k says:

that hovertext for all three pics almost made me p myself. ooooh his molars are coming in

hahahahahahahahaha lets rub some baby tylenol on his head, that’ll help!

47. man, that thing looks like it *wants* to be eaten — corn kernels, anyone??

48. O NO He/She/It DI-unt!!!!! says:

@ kzgz: LUV the wird “Fluffly”!!!! Good thing!!!

49. Speaking of Sting (its been said but nobody made the pun, so pfft), that guy looks poisonous!

50. That last picture, the first thing that popped in my head was “The HIIIIILLLLLLLSSSSS are aliiiiiiiiiive…….”

51. Becky, Bubba's mum says:

Glam little guy enjoying his brief but beautiful life!

52. Love the jazz hands in the last picture.

53. Come in side. Have a cuppa. Meet the missus.

54. I think it’s a cuterpiller. It took me 3 days to think of that comment.

55. samlovesanimals says:

at first i thot it was a butterfly