Help for the Cuteness-Impaired

Amazing as it may sound to loyal readers like yourselves, there are people whose emotional development is so stunted that they cannot recognize Teh Qte.

This is potentially hazardous, as they may naively attempt to snorgle creatures that are not cute, such as mongooses, tarantulas, or saguaro cactus. It is wise in these cases to label cute items until these people become familiar with them.

Photo credit: am4ndas

Comments

1. If you don’t pick up the cuteness here, folks, I just don’t know. Whoa.

2. omg, too cute to handle!!!

3. But… but… mongooses *are* cute! *sob*

4. Soooo Cute!!!!!!!!!!!! I love wittle puppies! I wanna have a puppy!!!!

5. 260Oakley says:

Nice puppy looks stumped.

6. Heather and the Boston Terriers says:

It appears the puppy is homeless. I shall take it. I will love it. PUHLEEZ.
    Puppy deserves better than a sign on its neck and an old shack for a house.

Puppy is cute as sin. I hate it when I get the feeling the puppy needs a home. For sure, I will take it.

7. RoseyPosey says:

Captain Obvious has taken to making signs I see. It’s like those cups that have “CAUTION : Coffee is HOT” written on them. Um… DUH? Do not touch blades while motor is in motion. You need to TELL people this?

What would be funny is if that little sign said “Guard Dog”. :)

Oh… and exquisitely cute puppy, BTW. :)

8. Ruth Van Dyke says:

And why isn’t it “mongeese”?

9. hey mongooses are cute!

10. PUPPEH!!! (swoops in for snorgle & gets faceful of bark)
    Shoot! Missed! (swoops again & lands on woof)
    Darn it!
    (meanwhile “Nice Puppy” looks on with more than a hint of disapproval)

11. Venerable Bead says:

I don’t know about “mongeese” but the sentence should read “…the saguaro cactus…” or “…saguaro cacti…”

Yours affectionately,

The Grammar Police

12. Mathasaurus Rex says:

mongoose

Look at that and try to say mongoose (plural) are not cute!

13. The puppeh’s like, “Just take the picture already…”

14. Pup looks like she’s smiling — as if to reinforce the point.

15. NICE puppy?! Adorable cuteness personified (snorgle, kiss, kiss, hug) is more like it. Belongs in the dictionary as definition for cute.

Why not mongeese? Yes they are cute.

Venerable Bead, it would not be cacti if they spoke only of one catcus. . . yes?

16. A French puppy or one that has pleasing qualities?

17. I’m getting a sense of false advertising.

Doews your dewg beete?

18. The intro made me think of this song:

19. Noelle (the First) says:

I don’t know. To me it looks like the puppy is sneering and saying “Nice? Yea, right! Just try it pal!” But maybe that’s just me.

Still cute though!

20. Elisha B. says:

Are you sure? He looks like he has a major “tude” if you ask me. (He sure is cute though….I would help him adjust if necessary) :)

21. Hon Glad says:

Do not approach the puppy, that’s old man Crabbits shack in the back ground.
    He’ll grab you and keep you to fatten you up, then eat you with fava beans and a nice Chianti, slobber slobber.

22. fatgrammafinn says:

nice puppy indeed…if i buy him does the fabulous Tuscan villa in the background come with the deal?

23. skippymom says:

I think pup is muttering, “Nice puppy my furry A**. I am the biggest, baddest tough guy in the neighborhood. Get this stupid sign off my neck or I’ll rip your face off.”

24. @Kar, that’s not my dog. ;)

25. I’d take this puppy even if the sign said “Bad puppy”! Look at the leetle eyebrows!

Also, eek ! Spiders can be cute! (only some … tarantulas are hard to sell as cute)

26. Venerable Bead says:

@G . . . I think you would still need a definitive article such as “a” or “the”…since the preceding items are plural you want something to clarify that you meant for “cactus” to be singluar. If you wanted to get all fancy schmancy with the sentence you could say “…or the indigenious saguaro cactus…”

27. Is it weird that I think this puppy looks like Corey Feldman?

28. ali baba says:

Such a sweet widdle face! I have room for a Nice puppy, I would even buy
    him some brie! :-)

29. Ekajati says:

The squoooshiness… the oh so knowledgeable eyes…. *ded*

30. in my humble opinion, all furry little animals are cute. I guess that will include mongoose, but not cactus.

31. Did you see the picture that came after this one?
    And there are 2 pupies sans signs.

32. Emmberrann says:

@Venerable Bead: “Singluar?” “Indigenious?” Do our fingers have a case of dyslexia, hermmmmm? Indigenous, or genius?

Cute pupster, ‘tho.”

33. @ Jen8 Certainement, he iz from Nice becauze he iz not vraiment nice.

34. Thank you Theresa.

I have no idea why I still laugh at that joke…

35. bargles says:

And a picture of mum n’ dad! (with sleeping pups in the following pic):

36. Slurpy tongue bath!

37. skippymom says:

If you look a bit to the right of the puppy’s left paw, I believe you can see part of the skeleton of one of his former victims.

38. chanpon says:

Ridiculously cute pup with sign looks a bit grumpy.

39. Puppy actually looks like a grumpy or sleepy gradpa :) super cute indeed

40. Venerable Bead says:

@Emmberrann – fingers have a case of typing faster than I think. Or dyslexia. In either case, I humbly stand corrected.

41. I literally yelled out Oh My God and clutched my chest! The cute hurted me so good! Good god man… the grumpy look, the sign, *gasps*

42. aw, is he ok? this pic makes me a little sad. he’s so cute and looks so lonely.

43. Hilarious. I made one of my cats wear a ‘BAD CAT’ sign around his neck one evening because he was being a jerk to the other cat.

44. What if the visitors to the decrepit shack behind said puppy do not read English? They might still try to hung tarantulas and other creatures of non-cuteness.

I think we need an interactive translation feature on the sign around puppy’s neck. That, or start an awareness foundation for non-cute sufferers.

–bossgripes.com

45. Profesor Mongoose says:

I agree–mongooses are totally cute. :)

The plural is “mongooses” instead of “mongeese” is:

a) The word “mongoose” comes from a Dravidian word for that animal that really has nothing to do with the English word “goose”–it just happens to sound like it does.

b)The word “geese” is an old form of English plural that stopped getting applied to new words a long time ago. So centuries ago we could come up with “goose”–>”geese”, but in more modern times we can’t apply that same rule to newer words (like “mongoose”) to get “mongeese”. Instead, we have to use our regular, modern plural ending to create “mongoose”–>”mongooses”. (If the word “goose” was a new invention in our language, we’d have to use the plural “gooses”.)

Thank you, class dismissed.

46. Professor Mongoose says:

Um…that’s “Professor”, that job title in my name. Heh.

47. BStrange says:

I think we have here the puppeh equivalent of those human babies who look remarkably like miniature grumpy old men. :)

48. JustanotherHeather says:

Eyebrows! I love dogs that have eyebrow “buttons”. So cute!

49. @Katey – I love the idea of your cat being a “jerk”, even though to some degree I bet he was just being a cat. “Bad Cat” sign? Priceless!

As for the puppy? Gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme.

50. SpecLad says:

I think tarantulas are adorable… They’re fuzzy!

51. I really, really want to know the story here.
    and that is a very nice puppy indeed.

52. (turns tag over to look for price) …Aw, it’s priceless.
    I want to name him Herman Baron Baroo Von Peanut.

Is today Mongoose Monday?

53. I agree with the sign :)

54. that’s what i’m always sayin’,

“look at those nice puppies”

but nobody’s puttin’ a sign on ‘em and offering me a snorgle off the street, no suh

the worl’ is cute-challenged, they is

55. (the original) Mel says:

Yeah, you made my day with that one.

56. doomchild says:

Blair: this calls for an international campaign, I say. We must educate the world! We must bring them the joy of Qte!

57. bookmonstercats says:

@pounce, that is the COOLEST smilinks spidah I have ever seen. I will love him and cuddle him and make him my signature picture, if you don’t mind. He will be the “monster” in my name from henceforth.

58. KatieKae says:

yes… I vote for Mongoose Monday… b/c they are CUTE!

59. Claire Z says:

The handwriting is killing me

60. mongooses are adorable and spiders are effin awesome………roooooood people

61. Antikythera says:

@pounce oh yes! I want plushie jumping spiders. :)