The Lives of the Bootleggers

In the heady days of Prohibition, booze ruled the speakeasies — and violence ruled the streets. No self-respecting mob lieutenant would dare travel without his trusty “tommy cat,” hidden discreetly inside a violin case to fool the police.

Actually Chloe G. says it’s a guitar case — and we agree, Cleo there is a fat little girl!

Comments

1. Shouldn’t that be “charlestoning till three”?

2. Paunchie says:

Holy moly I was thinkin’ no way a cat would fill up a guitar case! Violin, yeah that makes more sense. BUT. No, it’s a giant cat!

3. Mary (the first) says:

You mean someone named Chloe has a cat named Cleo? I’d get those tangled up and be calling the wrong name all over the place. (And for those of you pointing out Cleo’s .. figure.. let me just say she does not appear FAT but simply big-boned!)

4. Venerable Bead says:

You say fat, I say floofy. ;)

5. Anne Packrat says:

That there is a fat little guitar-shaped kitty! Cleo is definitely not missing any meals!

6. a guitar-shaped kitty. this reminds me of that saying, that a kitty will take the shape of its container, or something like that.

7. GingerBean says:

Eh, my Gabby McFluffybutt is bigger…and floofier. He’d need a cello case. ;)

8. hyura, I was going to say something along those lines. Cleo’s just taking advantage of every available inch of the comfy case. Hey it’s a tough job making sure those kitteh hairs are evenly distributed but someone’s got to do it!

9. @BB/Va, absolutely right. It should be Charlestoning, or Black Bottoming.

10. No! No! it’s a poster for the remake of El Mariachi with Mousebreathtio Caterras.

11. Back when I was still convinced that I could learn to play the guitar with some degree of skill, I had to be sure to close the guitar case right away when I took the guitar out to practice. That fuzzy case interior was like a magnet for our cats…

Cleo is adorable, the more so for being a bit chub! I adore cow kitties.

12. 260Oakley says:

Hairy Chapin takes a break between sets of “Cat’s in the Cradle”. He’s all strung out.

13. Hon Glad says:

“Touch my booze and I’ll fill you full of kibble, you punk.”

14. Emmberrann says:

It seems Ms. Cleo might be a mort paunch-drunk, and guitar-strung out.
    Say, is this a new version of “box-hab?” Guitar-case-hab? Mr. Picky has a difficult time with staying out of anything that resembles a suitcase.

15. I am printing this out and hanging it above my kitten’s food bowl! She needs to aspire to bigfathappycat-dom.

16. domanato says:

Haha then after he gets out, gets drunk, and plays his guitar he will start to sing and vocalize himself just like this kitten: http://www.shortform.tv/w/cute/vocal-kitteh

17. skippymom says:

Somebody needs to start a Cleo and Chloe Club, there have been so many of them around here lately.

18. 260Oakley! I LUV Harry Chapin! Thanks for the smile.

19. victoreia says:

She’s just big-boned! (That’s her story and she’s sticking to it!)

20. Cleo’s shameful secret was finally revealed.

She maintained her hourglass figure thanks to whalebone corsets, spanx girdles, and sleeping in a guitar case.

21. Judy Weissman says:

My cat prefers the term “fluffy” to describe her…

22. Rooanne says:

Haha! Love the hovertext! Typical cat – too lazy to bump someone off.

23. Are you sure she’s not tired from doing the Charleston?

–bossgripes.com

24. MoonCatty says:

If that were a violin case, would a joke about “cat gut” be inappropriate?

25. spacebat says:

Empty guitar cases are quickly filled by cats. I often have to perform an eviction when putting my guitar away.

26. TrixandSam says:

@Oakley: yeay! HC reference!!!

Oh, and thanks for that earworm.

27. Classic – I knew this was a NOMTOM post before I checked the byline!

28. Katrina says:

HI NOMTOM, you sizzle….again….

29. Jenn in IL says:

domanato, that poor kitteh was just trying to esplain!!

Love Cleo’s floof…

30. I took several instrument techniques courses in college, so I was bringing home different sizes and shapes of instrument cases every week. The instant they were open and empty, in jumped kitteh. There was no stopping her. She would settle in and fill up all the available space by huddling or stretching, from piccolo to guitar.

31. @ GingerBean: Gabby McFluffybutt is the best name evah!!!

32. :lol: Cleo the kitty just proves that kitties will fall asleep anywhere they find to be comfortable :lol:

33. Why cats make bad mobsters: too tired from jitterbugging to “off someone”. Too lazy? Too sleepy? But… they will do it in their own way in their own sweet time, when you least expect it…

34. nice picture. wow cat looks so cute there.