Bug-a-pillar? Cat-a-bug? Larv-a-pupe?

What kind of bug is this guy?

Check him out he's all: "I'm going to grow into a beautiful—WAIT I DON'T KNOW!"

What should we call him, Peeps!?

Fiona L. has more bug-a-pics here.

Comments

1. I want to find insects cute, I really do, but somehow I just can’t. They wander over into “gross” territory for me, even though there is nothing remotely threatening about this little guy (or gal).

But I’ll stick to kittens and puppies for now. ;–)

–bossgripes.com

2. Oh look, it’s a jelly worm with a biscuit for a face :))

3. The alien from Cronenberg’s ‘Naked Lunch’ + roasted marshmallow ‘do + Jolie-Pitt leeps = Angelina Catapilla

4. Hovertext: Yes, I DO love the parted-down-the-middle look. Very barbershop quartet!
    ♬ ♫ ♪
    “Hello hello hello hellooooooooooooo
    Goodbye, my Coney Island Baby,
    Farewell my own true love, true love, my honey,
    “I’m gonna go away and leave you,
    Never to see you any,
    Nenver gonna see you any . . .” ♬ ♫ ♪

5. haha he looks like eugene levy!!

6. I would call him the brainapillar….. he has all zee brains!

7. BStrange says:

Whoa. Setting the bar high for BEF aren’t we, little bug! By the legs, it looks like he may be some type of inchworm. Made of gummi-candy. Gummi McInch?

8. MoonCatty says:

Face does not quite match body… looks like lil’ translucent critter is trying out this year’s Hallowe’en mask.

But by then, this squiggly green one will be a bee-u-ti-ful butterfly!

(Or sumthin…)

9. No idea what to call him, but he looks like a cross between Richie Rich (the hair) and something Willy Wonka would make.

10. BStrange says:

*squints at body awhile* Nope, just wishful thinking. Oh well! Still looks like a gummi sour with legs.

Found this while I was pondering ‘pillars. Watching this makes me miss living somewhere where I got to see them in person:

11. He looks like an Alfalfa to me (from Our Gang, of course). And if he sings in a barbershop quartet, they could sing “Be My Little Baby Bumblebee.”

“Be my little baby bumblebee,
    Bring back all your honey love to me.
    Honey, stop your buzzin’ please,
    I got a dozen cousin bees,
    But I want YOU to be my baby bumblebee!”

12. i call them “stay off my lettuce!!”

don’t know if it’s the same thing….but i’ve got issues with little cabbage worms and my lettuce right now

13. Groucho, because of those humongous brown eyebrows!! hahaha!!

14. kibblenibble says:

Gerald. Don’t know why, but…Gerald.

15. BStrange says:

@Theresa & jakepets:

16. Queen of Dork says:

Awwwwwwwwww!

17. A type of Sawfly larvae. Sawflies are direct relatives to Bees and Wasps. Adult Sawflies cannot sting. But I can’t tell you the species, since I don’t know where this was taken. These guys can be very cute though, though I’m a total Bug Nut so I’m a bit biased. I’ll do a shameless plug to BugGuide *crosses fingers that the URL worked*, a North America insect identification site. I would ID it myself, but I have my own bugs to take care of!

18. Alfalfa, or, Roscoe, after Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle! He does look like a silent film star, doesn’t he?
    I think I saw him in “All Quiet on the Western Lettuce”.

19. chanpon says:

Snug as a bug with a rug…

20. @BStrange, Slimey, yes!!! Slimey getting read to sleep with “Trash Gordon” was one of my fave parts of Sesame Street, espesh which Slimey squeaks, “More! Read More!”

21. Hey where is BugMan? He should be hear to appreciate this!

22. @Jakepets:
    “There’s an echo in the valley,
    YOO-HOO!!!
    and it brings back
    sweet memories
    of YOU!”

23. Hon Glad says:

I’d call him Ernest P. Merryweather, he looks very earnest.

24. BStrange says:

Squeaky Slimey voice! Also works for tiny kittens and pet mice. Not that *ahem* I’d know, or anything. :oops:

@Carice: Sawfly larva Trichiosoma triangulum is closest, minus the dark spots, unless they develop those only at a certain stage or have some color variation. Probably at least a close relative, though. And thanks for the link!

Per Meg’s question, does that make him a Tricky-(Trichi)-Pillar then? :D

25. MoonCatty says:

“I am the Bug Man, they are the Bug Men,
    I am the Slimey, goo goo ga g’joob!”

26. Geisha_Girl says:

I think it’s a Tomato Hornworm. They get HUGE and their heads grow into a grody comma-shape. Then they turn into ugly brown moths. After eating your tomatoes.

27. @GeishaGirl, dunno, I think the hornworm is uglier than this guy, and the legs are different. Anyway, the hornworm gets its comeuppance because those yucky parasite wasps prey on the larvae. Ewwww . . .

28. dwight schrute do!

29. BStrange says:

Not a hornworm, I’ve picked too many off my tomatoes to ever forget… In his other pics, he has a conspicuous absence of butt-horn, plus no white stripes (or white and black) and the eyes are very different. http://www.organicgardeninfo.com/tomato-hornworm.html

I may hate those tomato-nomming SOB’s, but some barnyard fowl love them. I’ve seen chickens doing their best terrier impression after they found a hornworm on the tomatoes: Slightly scared of it (they get HUGE), but determined to eat it anyway. :D

30. @BStrange: Thanks for the Slimey Trio song!

And @Teresa, thanks for more Lucy! What a lovely thread this is turning out to be! Enjoy your gardening, bugs and all, y’all!

I love all the Muppet Show and Sesame Street musical numbers … brilliant, just brilliant. Remember Ernie Suggs and his All-Vegetable Band? Singing “Yes, We Have No Bananas”?

31. BStrange says:

Theresa: The Lucy clip gave me the snickers, you know it’s coming at the end and it’s still a hoot!

also, jakepets, nope, no idea at all. *innocent whistle*:

32. peepers says:

I think we should call him Squish.

33. “… and one day, I’m going to grow up to be a prison casserole ingredient.”

34. Mary (the first) says:

Looks just like Orville Redenbugger to me..

35. MamaLana says:

Orville Redenbugger! LOL @Mary (the first)
    This whole thread just supports my theory that bugs (and also lobsters) evolved on another planet and were dropped here by aliens. Really. Brrrrrrrrr.

36. How about giving him glasses and calling him Clark?

37. What a face.

38. LisaHoneychan says:

I shall call him….Pubert!

39. LOL…. I’m loving Orville Redenbugger myself.

40. Nanette says:

I think it looks like he’s smiling with his big front teeth showing. I love bugs, I always rescue them when I find them indoors, although I realize when I take them outside they probably become bird snacks. How bout Lawrence McSqirmypants?

41. I like how he’s all “A-thuthhh!” [tongue pressed up against front teeth]

42. fatgrammafinn says:

Dashiel Hammett, cuz he’s a mystery!!!

43. call me anything you want, just don’t call me late for detritus

44. BStrange says:

Sticking his teeny-tiny tongue out at us all for thinking he’ll turn into a butterfly or a moth instead of a sawfly thingamabobber, I bet. And he does kinda look like an Orville…

45. George?

46. Carolyn says:

This answers the question: “Mommy, where do baby E.T.s come from?”

47. Just love those gummy bear legs. What a cutie-pie!

48. I think we should call him “Cute-pillar the grub of love.”
    You’ll notice that “cutep” sounds a lot like “Cupid.”

49. TrixandSam says:

@BStrange: I WISH I had a chicken or two to take care of the hornworm infestation my tomato bed had a couple of years ago. One dude was five inches long. FIVE inches. I was not amused.

50. wannadance says:

a valley girll? a member of the tea party, which i wish i knew what the hay-yull it was…

51. Lucy Loup-Garou says:

@Theresa: LOVED the Alfalfa song ref! LOL!

He looks too cute to damage our tomatoes. Not that I’d know. Thank goodness for the entymologists. Thumbs up for this great thread!

52. Cuter-pillar.

53. Call him Pepsi.

54. BStrange says:

TrixandSam – I think our record hornworm was about 4 and 3/4. For those you need to upgrade to peafowl, because even the chickens look at them like, “nuh uh, YOU eat it, I’ll be over here.” :D

I wonder whether hornworm tastes like green tomato… *ponder*

55. vamtngal says:

He kinda reminds me of Mr. Miyagi frpm the original Karate Kid, in a weird sorta way

56. crackerpiller

57. zeldapie says:

He needs something with dignity… reminds me of a 19th century gentleman, with his parted hair. Maybe Algernon or Cuthbert…

58. vanessa says:

i think his name should be poptart

59. my dad's a biologist says:

could be the just-hatched larva of a hemipteran, suborder Pentatomoidea – Think stinkbug.

Hornworms, oddly enough, have horns-slash-spikes on them

60. Uniswift87 says:

That is surprisingly cute!

61. Good work to Carice on figuring it out – definitely .

62. …. looks like a sawfly larva http://bugguide.net/node/view/421534