The Following is a Ted Nugent-Free Zone

Wakey-wakey eggs and bakey.

Deer God, I hope that’s my mother behind me.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Who you callin’ a gazelle.

If someone would please remove these roller skates from my feet, I’ll get up and walk away gracefully.

I am much, much prettier than you.

What do you call this magical land where rubber duckies inexplicably fall from trees?

Sender-inner Emily B. writes: I’m working at a whitetail deer ranch this summer, and we’re bottle-raising all the doe fawns. So far we have 46 fawns on the bottle. They’re all incredibly cute, pushy, and they’re all named: The pictures of the fawn in the grass are of His Majesty, who we’ve been nursing back to health. He’s a spoiled brat, but he’s so small and fuzzy that he gets away with a lot; the staring one is Eowyn (she’s a little crazy); the two curled up next to each other are Diana and Wren; and finally, the brand spanking new baby is Clementine being licked clean by her mama, Trey.

Comments

1. Sweeda88 says:

TOO… MANY… BAMBIS! *explodes in a cloud of glitter*

2. so…very…speckly.

3. The “Deer God, I hope that’s my mother behind me.” part made me crack up. I love you guys. <33

4. I would love to have a baby deer or a dear little baby.
    Can I get one “on spec” for a wile.

5. O NO He/she/it DI-unt!!! says:

From the Ridiculously Persnickety Dept:

(ahem) (peering over snooty glasses condescendingly)

“I beLIEVE that your illustrious Hovertext Department MEANT to say/ write
    “TooTsie Roll legs”…..

(sigh)

JK except in the proofreading sense

6. Mary (the first) says:

Thank you Emily B. for helping with these bebehs and for sending them to us!

7. You must not know much about Ted Nugent..since this is not what Ted Nugent would kill.

8. ahhhhhh soooo cuuttee!!!

9. So cute! I love baby deer! If I were surrounded by 46 of them, I think I’d die of over exposure to all the cuteness. Very nice pictures.

10. oh deer!

11. OK wait – where is this place and how do I get a summer job there?

12. Mel Drake says:

Deers, now available in small, large, and bite sized!

13. flutterbye says:

Overwhelming cuteness!

14. DOE!

15. BEEP!

16. Emily B. says:

Wow, I didn’t think you’d post them all! I love the Star Wars hovertext, by the way :)

17. skippymom says:

Dear “O NO”: I BELIEVE that you meant to write “Tootsie Roll BODY”. Hahahahahaha.

18. When I saw the first pic, my first reaction was, “that better not be the price per pound…”

After reading Emily’s message I feel better that these are sanctuary fawns.

19. Cuteoverload, what exactly is the purpose of a whitetail deer ranch? These 46 bottle fed babies are eventually going to be shot and/or slaughtered for meat. But gosh, aren’t they just so cute!

20. Um, a ranch is not a sanctuary.

21. I’m very concerned.. I googled “white-tail deer ranch” and all the sites were leading you to ranches where you can hunt deer :(
    Is there any kind of deer ranch where they don’t do that? I know the title says “Ted Nugent Free Zone” but…it looks like deer ranches are only used for one function…a verry very sad one.

22. i didn’t know they really had such long lashes!

23. Everything should be a Nugent free zone. Especially my memories of classic rock.

Cute babies though.

24. knittinkitten says:

No one has made a plink-plink eyelash comment! Look at those lashes on deer no .6 she says “Don’t you think my eyelashes are lovely?” Plink, plink.

If it’s a sanctuary it’s a good thing. If this is a ranch where the deer are killed for sport it’s not worthy of CO. Especially no after Monday’s spectacular post.

25. O NO he (she/it) DI-unt says:

@ Skippymom:

Me = “D’OH!” (facepalm)

Signed,
    Disgusted and Inkeeerekt.

26. Elisha B. says:

Beautiful creatures, unfortunately, so are other animals that humans hunt. I suppose we should enjoy the pics and not think about what the future holds for these deer.
    Cute or sad?

27. Emily B. says:

These are all doe fawns, they’re used for breeding, not for eating!

28. Kittytoes says:

Nuffers: Consistently sucking the joy out of Cute Overload since 2006.

29. @LO – Ted Nugent is well known for his support of hunting and has a ranch where he sells hunting packages to hunt deer with him. http://www.tednugent.com/sunrize/

30. Oh the sweetness.

31. tracylee says:

they look like my greyhound (or she looks like them) down to the tattoos in the earsies!

“I am much, much prettier than you.” Yes, yes you are, pretteh behbeh

I could die of happiness after I visit the deer farm, kthx!

32. Maerlyn99 says:

Oh, aren’t they lovely? I want to kees them on their leetle wet noses!

33. StormCat says:

I call ear noms!!! nom nom nom nom

And love the plink plink sound, btw…

34. minecritter says:

Oh, so these darling babies are not to be slaughtered, only taken from their mothers for business reasons, to produce other babies to be slaughtered. Sorry, this sucks the joy out of the cute for me.

35. knittinkitten says:

Me too. *turns sideways, covers face with sleeve and cries*

36. Wait, I thought that this was’t Nugent country?

37. ah, the great ‘sport’ of hunting. CO poll…. hunting: sport or no sport.

I vote nay.

~sobbing in the corner cubicle~

38. Mod-in-Training says:

[@emily

deer need to be bred?! did you work at a bunny fertilization clinic before that?

oh i know i'll regret asking this, but where do the offspring go?

--M.i.T.

p.s. potential submisshers be warned: we are only accepting pictures of animals who will live forever.]

39. 260Oakley says:

@M.i.T
    Only Twinkies live forever. Or they would, if we didn’t hunt them for sport. (Nobody’s hunting them for food, right?)

40. skippymom says:

Hello, M.i.T. I’ve been wondering when your training will be done, or is that your permanent name?

41. dangercat says:

well – hunters would claim to be having fun, so I suppose it is a physical activity engaged in for pleasure. but so are several other activities that I will not name out of respect for CO.
    please let’s not see any more cuteness destined for a bloody death – I don’t check in to CO every day to be depressed once again about human cruelty.

42. Mod-in-Training says:

[@skippymom

any day now. just waiting for my uniforms to be enstiched with my new name!

unless i get voted off the island :(

--M.i.AlmostDoneT.

43. skippymom says:

OK, M.i.ADT. I trust I can speak for all us in saying that we look forward to the day when your new name is revealed.

@260Oakley: Many, years ago, Twinkies were actually considered to be food. Thank goodness that’s in the past.

44. Mod-in-Training says:

[@260

surely you recall that fateful final twinkie hunt of '72?

i'm still plagued by memories of that day. why just last night my slumber was disrupted by the gruesome specter of my own hands clawing at my breast in futile attempts to cleanse myself of the grotesque creamy filling that had spattered my red velvet hunting coat.

as you know, i continue as a strict breatharian but still i wonder... will i ever be clean again?

people, please remember:

TWINKIES ARE NOT FOR EATING.]

45. skippymom says:

Although I’ve heard the deep-fried ones are tasty.

46. MiT… are you sure you are not channeling Teho? (said around mouth full of twinky)

LOLOL

HEhehehe Hides three pack of twinkies behind back conspicuously missing one twinky… and wipes fluffy filing off mouth.

47. @ Skippymom :
    I tried the fried Twinkies & was seriously underwhelmed. Now a fried Oreo well that’s a WHOLE different story ! They’re sooooo good they’ll make you wanna slap your mama! I only allow myself one order a year at the local fair. Not an easy goal to meet when you demonstrate pottery making every day for a week.

48. marieelise0928 says:

Maybe a stupid question – but why do they need to be bottle fed? Are their mothers all too busy licking their tookusus? Tookusi?

49. @ Mudbug:
    re: deep-fried Oreos: I had never heard of such until I googled it:
    I’m in loooooove, and I haven’t even tasted them.
    And they’re kinda deer-coloured. Huh. The circle of CO life.

50. skippymom says:

Do y’all remember some time back we had a lengthy discussion of deep-fried things, and there is actually deep-fried butter, and Coca-Cola, and bacon? (Well, deep-fried bacon would, of course, be great.)

51. Awwwwwww says:

It looks almost as if they have blue eyes!

52. lionelbean says:

These pictures totally remind me of when I was a fawn.

53. Thank you for the pics. You have one great summer job!

54. I love the cuteness, and agree that most places should be a Ted Nugent free zone. (A terribly abrasive man, I must say.) That being said, I have nothing against legal hunting. There are so many white tail deer in this area that they are a pest and a danger to themselves. Also, hunters have a vested interest in preserving wild lands of various sorts. My views may be colored by the place where I live and my own family. Many of the people around here are farmers and/or hunters, including many of my uncles.

That little bit of seriousness out of the way. Le cute! Le squee! Le boopable nose!

55. TrixandSam says:

@260 and MiT: I’ve heard there’s a Twinkie Sanctuary in Wyoming where they’re allowed to roam with the buffalo and elk. I think the gov’nt has a thousand-year agreement with landowners to allow the Twinkies to migrate to their winter home in Rachel, Nevada.

56. “Is there any kind of deer ranch where they don’t do that?”

Yes, it’s called the suburbs. Contribute to their growth by planting a garden. Oh, how I hate deer. Blast them for making their spawn so adorable!

57. knittinkitten says:

I credit twinkies with giving me my super mutant powers.

Please CO, no more pictures of animals destined for a sad, sad end. More pictures of Maru please!

58. @trixandsam
    So, you are telling me that twinkies never get eaten by the buffalo and elk? I ain’t buyin’ it.
    As for hunting, not my cup o’ tea, but ’round here the farmers would rather the deer (and the wild turkeys) be hunted than left to over multiply and destroy their crops. Fortunately, hunting is closely monitored by the DWP, so you can only get a certain amount each year. The Salvation Army is more than happy to have the meat that the hunters don’t use themselves.
    Deer ranch is not that different than raising cattle for beef, or chickens for the Colonel. Go meat!

59. BStrange says:

1. Pic 3 knocked me ded, and the rollerskate caption held me down and jumped on me afterward. In a good way, mind. :D

2 (seriousness ahead): I don’t hunt. I do admire wildlife in its natural habitat and want it to stay there. And while I don’t know whether I could reconcile “cute baby deer” with “raising deer to be hunted” sufficiently to do it myself, because I’m all squashy-aww and I like it that way, I had a thought as I read the comments above:

Hunters exist. They may follow regulations and seasons (one hopes), but they exist. There will never be an anti-hunting campaign that wipes them all out. (Rather the same as with smokers – much as I, being severely allergic, wish it were otherwise.) If I had to make a choice, and I make exceptions for culling sick animals and so forth for reasons of overall deer-population soundness, I’d rather the hunters in areas with fewer deer go to a deer ranch than shoot the ones in the wild. The wild ones have enough problems.

On a deer ranch, they don’t starve, and people have a vested interest in keeping them in good health. Like free-range cattle and chickens, they may be destined for food or for breeding but (barring any rotten apples in the proverbial barrel of ranches) their lives aren’t actually bad. Deer in the wild get to spend their entire lives, from minute one, as potential food for something else, and that’s how quite a few of them end up. At least ranch deer get to grow up first.

That helps mitigate the “being raised for” factor a lot, for me. I’ve also wondered: If people raised rhinos, giraffes, elephants,and etc. for hunting, would the wild ones be safer, or not? And if they were, would it be worth that to keep the wild, wild?

Your own mileage may vary, and I’m not getting into an extended debate about this on CO. It’s just a bit of food for thought.

60. BStrange says:

Also, I would absolutely get on board the twinkie-hunting bandwagon. Is hunting baked goods with a slingshot and a bag of Skittles candy still legal these days?

61. annoyinglittletwerp says:

While i agree with Ted Nugent’s politics he’s wrong about the hunting.
    Killing shouldn’t be fun.
    Yeah-I’m a Tea Party animal rights gal. We do exist.

62. Emily B. says:

@BStrange

Thank you, you’re right about their lives being ‘not bad’, they actually have a very good life, and the people who raise them really care about them. In fact, the deer who don’t adapt to captivity are released so as not upset the calm deer (and no, they are not released to be shot). For a prey animal a deer ranch is actually a very nice life, the bucks and does usually live much longer, healthier lives than they would in the ‘wild’ and the fawns have much higher survival rate.

63. chanpon says:

Matchingks in that first picture! :o

64. minecritter says:

BStrange,

I feel terrible bringing everyone down by talking about this, but I must disabuse you of the notion that free range cattle or chickens or any animals have a nice life barring “bad apple” ranchers because it is in the interest of the ranchers to keep them healthy. Ranching is a business, and ranchers do what makes or saves them the most money, and that is not always in the best interest of the animals. Cheaper feed, no treatment for illness or injury, no anaesthetic for castration, shipment to central slaughter locations where the factory farmed animals end up. Cows and other animals also suffer when their babies are taken from them, and when they witness their herd mates slaughtered in front of them.

One of the main stresses that makes me come to Cute Overload for relief is a meat business took over land next to my home, and I have personally witnessed some truly awful things. Every spring there are cute baby calves and lambs frolicking by, while at the same time my horse and I am terrified out of our minds by gunfire from the slaughter on site of some of the darling babies from the previous year. I’ve seen the killing and slaughter take place in full view of other cows, including several times when the cow didn’t lose consciousness after being shot, and rolled around on the ground thrashing his legs in the air for up to 10 mintues while men with guns over their shoulders looked on. Just a few weeks ago I saw a cow that had witnessed the death of his pasture mate a week earlier, standing on the blood soaked grass where it happened, looking around and mooing for hours.

And this is free range, small business, normal practices, not bad apples, and not the more extreme horrors of factory farming.

65. BStrange says:

Having spent a couple of decades with free-range operations as neighbors, I can’t be disabused of personal experience. Sorry. ;)

66. TrixandSam says:

@Patty: buffalo and elk are lean proteins. Of course they don’t eat the twinkies!

@BStrange: that hunting method is maintained by the resident aliens of Rachel, Nevada. Look it up.

67. BStrange says:

TrixandSam: *does… and has an X-Files moment* I knew it sounded familiar!

Looking at the photos, it’s the perfect habitat for twinkies. Plenty of camouflage, and the low population means there are few natural predators. Except possibly ants.

68. Daphne Moss says:

Kittytoes…
    Yazzzz…. it would be sooo much better just to inanely say awww…..cute to everything on this site … never mind the revolting aspect of “hunting ranches” (Motto: When all you want to do is kill … )
    And whoever said Ted Nugent would have nothing to do with this is right.

69. Lucy Loup-Garou says:

Twinkies are revolting, and the discarded ones will persist in our environment long after we’re all dust.
    Deers, on the other hand, are cute. These deers are unbearably cute. (I like “deers”.)
    And many people eat them, as equally cute cows, turkeys, peegs, lambs, etc are eaten. The deers (deer) may well get the least ill treatment by hunters who value a clean kill for freezer meat over quantity raised and killed for the least cost (factory farmers). I think those of us who eat meat would do well to kill our own – it might foster a greater appreciation for the animal than does the shrink-wrapped portion. Or, maybe it would only foster us having multiple large pets and crappy, low protein diets.
    I dunno.
    But I like pics of all of them, just the same. They’re all beautiful.

70. Eowyn? Lord of the Rings for the win!!!

71. So..So someone is gonna kill these babies? ;_;
    That’s awful, why name them and do so much to get attached when someone is going to be heartless and shoot them when they get older. That’s disgusting. People should take no pleasure what-so-ever in the killing of another animal. Meat alone bothers me the idea that someone WANTS to kill another being to eat it is wrong, especially when they can view the bond between mother and child.
    At least in the wild it’s not doomed from the start. Just because an animal is ‘raised for slaughter’ makes it no better, if a person is raised for slavery it’s no better because they were raised for it.
    It’s not cute to me anymore, now I’m just kind of depressed.
    (I agree with Minecritter also that the goal in ranching isn’t to keep animals healthy but to own a small business. They call it ‘live stock’ for a reason)
    No saved images for me today :c

72. BStrange says:

Random thought moment:

I wonder whether there’d be any great auks around today if someone had started an auk ranch back then. At least there’d be some still around to reintroduce to the wild today.

Not so random:

Commercial fish hatcheries + sport fishing. Deer are cuter than fish, so you’re upset about the idea of a whitetail ranch the submitter works on. By the same logic, those of you in tears over deer hunting should be just as appalled that people routinely raise, for example, trout, for sport fishing… But I’ll bet the thought never crossed most of your minds until you read this paragraph. (And I’ll bet the majority of people upset at the idea of a deer being hunted can’t muster up the same degree of emotion for a trout even if they try.)

On the whole, the cute, fuzzy critters who have the smallest chance of extinction are companion animals, and the ones people have a monetary interest in keeping around and raising for the purpose. It’s not nice, but it’s true. More people take more notice and put in more effort if they feel they stand to gain something tangible from the situation. That’s part of the idea behind encouraging people to think of elephants and giraffes as a source of revenue from tourism, for example.

Breeding a kind of animal that’s popular in sport hunting is an idea out of the same basket. I will never like the thought of sport hunting, so I’m not defending the idea out of a personal interest in it. BUT: it increases the number of people who can be convinced that they have a direct, personal interest in conserving that type of animal. So for that alone, it’s not all bad, and I work with the reality I’m dealt. (Which, before anyone says it, doesn’t mean not trying to change things… It just means being realistic about where we’re starting from.)

*shrug*

73. But Ted and I just love venison… Those little baby calves on the dairy farm are cute too, but nothing compares with a grilled t-bone steak smothered in mushrooms. We all have a purpose in this life, and I personally think quinoa is cute. Great photos.

74. Christy says:

Someone mentioned this above, but I was wondering the same darn thing: Why do the babies have to be bottle fed when the mother is right there? Is this so the mothers can be taken to slaughter quicker?

I’m wonder if the word “ranch” is a misnomer here. I’m just confused because it doesn’t seem like a sanctuary/rehabilitation situation, and it also doesn’t seem like a ranch/slaughter situation (hence naming the animals).

75. Sweeda88 : hehehehe (hug)

76. Emily B. says:

@Christy

The does are bottle fed to make them tame and safe to handle and be around, and also so they don’t get scared too easily. The mama’s are allowed to raise the buck fawns because tame bucks can be dangerous (think overly friendly antlers). The does are not killed, they are kept for selective breeding and then released to live out their last years on the ranch.

77. Mod-in-Training says:

[you guys are turning my bummer machine on maximum.

when you look at pictures of your brother's new baby girl, do you tell him that she might be abducted for unthinkable crimes?

when you go to the humane society, do you say, 'i'm not adopting THAT kitten. it'll just end up with cancer or old age?'

if you buy your kids a goldfish, do you just go straight home and flush it down the toilet?

when you see a sweet little ol' guy in the park feeding pigeons, do you say, 'get off the bench and into your casket, you big loser?'

sheesh. i'm going to pretend i live at "shutupitscute.com." the bus leaves in 5 minutes.

--M.i.T.]

78. nicemonkey says:

i’m sorry but i don’t care to see beautiful baby animals, especially on CO, only to find out they are being raised to be slaughtered. i thought i was looking at a sanctuary, and i thought, how nice, until i saw the word ranch. and when i think of the “men” (and i do use the term loosely), who frequent these ranches, i wonder what must be wrong with them. hunters are heinous enough, but these people are almost worse. does it make them feel manly to kill a perfectly tame deer, who has been hand raised, and given a name? i mean for all the deer know, the men (and women) are there to give them a pat and a snack, not to blow their f’ing heads off. it is truly disgracely, and everyone involved in these ranches, including the person who sent in the deer pictures and gushed about their cuteness should be ashamed. CO, i have an idea, why don’t you get some pics of those beautiful cats and dogs in china, right before they are beaten and skinned alive for the fur trade? i mean they’re cute too, well i mean of course until they have no skin, and tremble and shiver in sheer agony for up to an hour before they die because no one even has the decency to put them out of their misery.
    and to BSTRANGE, i do shed tears, and “muster up” the same degree of emotion for trout and other fish raised to be hunted. (maybe CO could add some photos of them too!)

79. @M.I.T.
    Exactly! The pics are cute, and the fact is, every living thing will die eventually, whether by getting killed by another animal for food, getting hit by a bus, or dying of old age. They can still be cute, and enjoyed while they live.
    Should bats stop eating mosquitos because it’s cruel?

80. The one and only thing on my Bucket List is to bottle feed a deer and my health is currently under threat. Can I come?! Please?! Where are you located?

81. Mod-in-Training says:

[@nicemonkey

can't we just think of the children?

what're YOU starin' at?]

82. Colonel Jenna says:

Dear M-i-T; I like you. Esp #81

83. nicemonkey says:

dear m i t, and colonel(?!) jenna,
    ahhhahahaha! yes, killing and suffering is always So funny, isn’t it! i feel sorry for both of you, and everyone like you.

84. Mod-in-Training says:

[@nicemonkey

i'm sorry. i don't mean to laugh at you or at suffering. you might be surprised if you knew the levels of my compassion for and attempts to protect animals. in fact that's why i love and support the beatification of all animals great and small. by looking into the eyes of these creatures, we learn to love them. we don't all agree about how to treat them, but they are still cute. we know all about the horrors that befall animals. you aren't telling us anything new and we aren't supporting killing or testing or hunting or ridiculing or hurting animals by looking at their pictures. this isn't kiddie porn. this isn't a debate site. it's happy land. friendship village. snorgletown, usa.

join us, won't you?

--M.i.T.]

85. dangercat says:

nicemonkey, I’m with you. MiT and bstrange, PLEASE get on a bus.

86. nicemonkey says:

thank you dangercat. finally someone who “gets” it!

87. Lucy Loup-Garou says:

Thank you Patty, thank you MIT, thank you BStrange. BTW, I visit a trout hatchery regularly, ’cause it’s a gorgeous & peaceful place and because I think the trout are adorably cute even though I eat them, too. I can’t help but feel a degree of sorrow for their fate while I appreciate how beautiful they are. Hypocritical or simply accepting of the natural reality of one organism’s dependence on the sacrifice of another’s?
    Of course I don’t want that sacrifice to be painful, but have you ever seen how a Kodiak bear eats a salmon once it’s caught? or how a wolf pack exhausts a sick elk before bringing it down? (shudder) …but does that mean we hate bears and wolves?

@nicemonkey, are you telling us we should carefully restrict our viewing enjoyment to ONLY those photos of animals guaranteed to die of old age or be ashamed of contributing to those heinous acts we could otherwise ignore if only we didn’t look at pics of the animals?? ‘Cause that’s what it sounds like you’re saying…
    People, the problem isn’t the natural human need for animal protein, the problem is human GREED, and the cost-cutting measures used to insure that those already obscenely wealthy from animal product profits continue to gain even more ridiculous levels of wealth.
    Neither CO nor Emily B should be ashamed for posting these beautiful pics!

88. Emily B. says:

@nicemonkey

There is no legitimate hunting ranch that bottle raises babies to be hunted. That is animal cruelty. Any deer that is hunted on a ranch is just as wild as any wild deer. Tame deer are not hunted, the people who own the ranches have strict rules against that.

@Kiki B

I’m in southwest Texas. Where are you?

89. Mod-in-Training says:

[@dangercat

it'll have to be a short one because i live here.

@meg, is that you? is this all part of my training? am i done yet? it's gettin' orfull hot in here!

--M.i.T.]

90. Mod-in-Training says:

[@nicemonkey

it must be my lucky day! i just bought a car that runs on pity! suh-WEET!

with just a drop or two of snarkasm,

--M.i.T.]

91. nicemonkey says:

to loucy loup garu,
    when you speak of kodiak bears eating salmon, or a pack of wolves bringing down an elk, it’s brutal yes, but it is also the natural food chain. (but i still don’t like to watch them!) i love all animals, those in the wild, and those that suffer in cages, longing to be free. but people don’t need to hunt, nor do they need to eat any form of animal protein, especially that which comes from factory farming. it’s bad for you, it’s bad for the environment, and it’s definitely bad for the animals, and there are just So many alternatives. if it is hard for you to not eat meat, at least please consider joining meat free monday. you can find more about it on the paulmccartney website. it explains the vast benefits of sustaining from meat just One day a week.
    look, all of you here are free to look at absolutely anything you want to look at. i wasn’t trying to start a feud. i was merely stating that it is a personal choice for me, as it is for me not to eat meat, to prefer not to view these photos. i feel such a closeness and kinship to animals, that when i know one is about to be slaughtered, it’s just hard for me to look at it and say aww, how cute. on the contrary, it just makes me want to cry. but to each his own, you know.

and to emily b., there may not be what you call “legitimate hunting ranches”, but i am aware that these ranches Do indeed exist, whether legitimate or not. so tell us then, for what reason does your “ranch” raise these beautiful creatures?

92. nicemonkey says:

M I T, what are you talking about pity?!? where did That come from?! because i pity animals that are so cruelly slaughtered maybe? hmm. ok. mr. sensitivity.
    and yeah, you definitely sound like you belong on the “short bus”. (sorry, you just made that one waay too easy!)

93. Mod-in-Training says:

[@nicemonkey

i live on 20 acres. i don't allow hunting on my land and i live in middle of "hunter's paradise." in fact, i just came back into the house after hearing gun shots. i wanted to be sure no one was killing anything on my land.

yesterday one of my rat terriers found some newborn baby rabbits under under a bush near the house. i screamed and yelled for him to stop, knowing full well that he is a natural predator for rodent-sized things.

I didn't see any blood so i carried the little bunneh in my hands as i walked around, thinking of safe places i could move her to.

after 10 minutes of choking back tears and thinking of CO, i felt a warm rush of urine wash over my hands. i held the little bun-bun for another 10 minutes so she would know she was warm and safe right up until the end. i still sort of hoped she would live and i could keep her as a pet.

so before we get into a "i love animals more than you do contest," how about we ALL love animals right here and now?

-- :( ]

94. nicemonkey says:

@ loucy loup garu
    sorry, i meant abstaining, not sustaining! i have so many people throwing crap at me i’m writing too fast and not watching my typos!

95. hahahaha it does look like a rubber ducky!

96. nicemonkey says:

@mit,
    that’s very sweet of you to try to save the little bun. something similar just happened to me with a tiny bunny, fortunately i was able to get it to the wildlife sanctuary a few blocks from me in time. but don’t beat yourself up, the tiny ones are so Very fragile. i’ve lost a few newborns. (i’m in arizona, and they moved in under our skateboard ramp about a year ago, and they breed like, well you know, and sometimes you find one that just can’t seem to handle the heat. it’s so heartbreaking isn’t it? they’re just So damn cute.
    and just for the record, i never said i loved animals more than the other guy, those are your words, not mine. this all started because i said i don’t think pictures like the deer ranch are the kind that should be posted on CO, anymore than i’d like to see a little calf, one of the cutest animals Ever, in a veal crate on this site. i come here for the silly, mindless, and adorable japanese hampster luxury apartments, and such, not for harsh reality, that’s all. just a choice, like i said. i didn’t say i like animals more than you or anyone else here. i guess i don’t care much for your jokes, but again, to each his own.
    i’m so sorry about your bunny incident, i really am. kudos for at least trying. (sometimes if you can find their den it’s the best place to return them to so the mama can try to tend to them.)
    ok then, peace?
    nicemonkey

97. Lucy Loup-Garou says:

@nicemonkey, I totally understand getting emotional over anything that causes an animal to suffer – I can’t watch those predator-prey shows for that reason, even though most nature programs do show it to us. I do, like you, accept it as part of nature.
    I don’t agree with the rationales behind meat-free diets, and I’ve no doubt that you & I could volley references from various experts (such as The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith) back & forth til the [very cute] cows come home, and succeed only in contradicting one another ad infinitum without ever agreeing.
    I certainly don’t want to attack your sense of compassion. As I believe MiT has pointed out, no one here is. I responded to your comments which came across as an attack, because you suggested that we be ashamed of liking the cute deer pics, and I don’t think we should. But you obviously have very strong feelings about animals, and so do I, which is a GOOD thing, even if we disagree on what we as humans should & shouldn’t do.
    MiT, I’m so sorry about the li’l bun. I once tried to rescue a starling who was being murdered by his associates for some bird-crime, but he died in my hands. It does hurt.
    BTW, just how did the rubber duckie get in the last exquisitely cute photo??

98. “Ranching” wild animals for high-fence slaughter (or providing “wild” meat to restaurants) is NOT hunting. Hunting requires fair chase; fair chase is not possible with habituated “wild” animals that are raised by humans and fenced. What, exactly, produces the revenue at this whitetail deer “ranch”?

I love CO. But this post (and the justifications in the comments by Emily B and some others) are making me ill.

Signed, Montana Hunter (call me a nuffer, I don’t care… what’s behind the photos should be as “cute” or “sad” as the photos)

99. BStrange says:

Wllwn – Oh, I agree, but then, “fair chase” would be the deer being able to shoot back (outrunning and outmaneuvering doesn’t entirely trump a gun or a bow with a scope on it). Still makes me less ill than wild-born deer being shot, because they face all the other perils of a wild deer’s life on top of that. We’ll have to agree to disagree on that one, I guess.

nicemonkey – You want “Ugly Overload”, they’ve got that covered – and yes, it is a real site. Go have a look! http://uglyoverload.blogspot.com/ It’d also behoove some of those posting to remember the difference between “slaughtered” and “hunted”, here. Even a ranch buck has a chance NOT to be shot (and the does get off easy). Your average beef steer, notsomuch.

*nods* Lucy Loup-Garou, good points. And there’s some of us who’ve learned the hard way that for medical reasons, allergies among them, we can’t switch to the protein alternatives available to us anyway. (I’m not going into detail on this one for privacy reasons.)

Folks, Nothing gives you a dose of reality like knowing the baby wildcritter you’ve worked so hard to raise, rehab, and release might end up as prey, the victim of accident, killed by weather, or starve – especially in a population boom in its area, think “boom and bust” cycles. Or get sick, suffer from parasites, get killed by a car, or, yes, hunted. (Just because they’re released on a preserve doesn’t mean they stay there. Animals don’t read signs.) It stinks, and that knowledge makes you want to lay down your bottle and quit, sometimes.

On the other hand, blanket outlawing worked anything but well with, say, whiskey: Can you say “bootlegging”? Also see: Poaching. With a fair percentage of humankind, tell them not to do something they like doing and/or make a profit from, and you are going to have a hell of a fight on your hands. Bluntly put, deer hunting isn’t at the top of the priority list of “Things To Stop From Happening” for most people (even if you limit it strictly to animal species by degree of endangerment, and don’t list items like drug trafficking or large-scale pollution), and at least deer ranches increase the odds for deer in low-deer population areas.

In higher-deer population areas, a long-term goal would be stopping the spread of human expansion (good luck convincing people not to breed; I don’t want to anyway, but I seem to be in the minority). In the meantime, controlled hunting beats deer becoming viewed as obnoxious, destructive vermin; at least it helps teach them to avoid humans, and (hopefully) avoids a population boom that results in an even worse situation. Deer you can see from your living room are cute. A small horde of deer who destroy every outdoor plant people own, or become aggressive in rut, get less cute in a hurry. For them to become The Enemy to, and resented by, people living in areas where this is common, is definitely counterproductive to efforts to see them treated better. The phrase “Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up” exists for a reason, folks, and does not come into play solely in property-rights situations.

Like I said before, I work with the reality I’m dealt, and change takes time. It’s worth considering that the average reasonably responsible hunter spends more time thinking about where deer will be next year than many people posting here do. (Every facet of life has its idiots, from deer hunting to driving a car.) In a few months’ time, most of the teary-eyed posters here won’t be thinking about deer hunting anymore unless it actually happens where they are. So which type cares more about the deer?

Don’t get me wrong. The idea of killing anything doesn’t set well with me, and that’s after I grew up raising some of my own food, both animal and vegetable. Deer being able to live long, happy, healthy, unhunted lives, without overpopulation, without being bothered at all, would be awesome. It’s an extreme which falls beyond the scope of current reality, but it’d be awesome.

In the meantime, hunters and non-hunters are stuck living with each other to greater or lesser degree. At least acknowledging some neutral ground allows for some communication beyond yelling “bambi killer” and “tree hugger” from our respective corners. (Everything’s gotta start somewhere.)

Yep. I’m done.

100. BStrange says:

“It stinks, and that knowledge makes you want to lay down your bottle and quit, sometimes.”

-Or pick up a bottle and quit, but I missed that turn, thankfully.

101. nicemonkey says:

@lucy loup garou.
    i believe i said the people who run these “ranches”, and the people who visit them
    to kill these beautiful, tame, hand trained, and Trusting animals, should be ashamed of themselves, including the person who sent in the photos. t’s just inconceivable to me how she can gush about their personalities and bottle feeding, and their cute names, or for that matter how she can even work there, when she knows what will be done to them once they reach maturity. “ok his majesty, you’re all grown up now, it was so fun raising you, and thank you for trusting me so much. now you get out there and get those brains of yours blown out!” i mean, i just can’t imagine how she does it. meat eater or non meat eater, how could Anyone do that?!?! (and have you noticed she won’t respond to anyone who has asked her exactly what the deer being raised for?)
    so just for the record, i wasn’t attacking you, or any of the readers for looking at the pictures! hell, i looked at them too, and gave several heartfelt “awws”, until i found out it was a ranch, then the tone of my “aw” just changed. i have no beef (no pun intended, really!) with you or anyone else on this site. well, except maybe MIT and his jokes, but even he loves animals! it’s what brings us all to this site isn’t it? the fact that we all love animals? i guess on the deeper issues we can just agree to disagree. but please know i’m sorry if it sounded like i was attacking you, or anyone else besides the owners, workers, and clients of these “ranches”, because i wasn’t, and i meant no disrespect.
    peace,
    nicemonkey

102. Was I the only one who was reminded of Bambi when the little guy’s legs were all splayed out, and he’s tryin’ ta walk?

And whoa, quite a discussion going on here. But I’m confused–are these guys actually being raised for venison, or do we misunderstand the meaning of the word “ranch?” Is there more than one meaning?

–bossgripes.com

103. Still haven’t seen a plausible explanation for the purpose of this “ranch”; why is it important the does be gentle (by way of being hand-raised)? What is meant by “live out their lives”? How do their lives end?

@Bstrange — if you think that carrying a gun with a scope is all it takes to gain an
    advantage over a truly wild deer or elk, you need to get out in the woods and mountains of Montana (for example). It’s very sad (to me) that you think a ranch-raised wild animal’s “life” is better than that of its wild-born relatives; at least the wild-born have a very GOOD chance of living out their natural lives in a natural way. The whitetails and muleys that visit my back yard nightly (I live in an area where both species are found, which is fairly unusual, if you are interested; they like different habitat) would beg to differ with you. I let my dogs chase the deer out of my yard (deer bound over the fence, dogs can’t) because I don’t want them habituated to people.

104. @nicemonkey: Word.

105. Lucy Loup-Garou says:

There’s always more than one way to look at these things (once again, as our Moderator-in-Training has patiently pointed out).
    It’s no mystery to me that workers who help raise & feed these li’l fawns love them, and probably love animals in general. I don’t know a lot of hunters, but the few I do know also love animals – thank you, BeStrange, for your insights, I completely agree.
    I see it as one of the many paradoxes we live with: some accept, some fight against, some struggle to reconcile, but they are a fact of life regardless.
    Nor is it any mystery to me that the deer ranch exists for the broad purpose of maximizing the coexistence of human / deer populations, which does include hunting as ONE aspect. It’s clearly not the sole purpose, it should hardly be equated with a factory farm, and I don’t see what anyone caring for the animals there has to be ashamed of.

106. Loff’, I mean “loooove” them!

107. snorglepup says:

AHHH1111111111111 Too much reality! !!I want to go to the Happy-land Snorgle Farm where we all love each other and eat only organic soy-based ice cream lalalala…

108. snorglepup says:

And rubber duckies grow on trees…

109. nicemonkey says:

gahhh! i’m trying to stay out of this but there is no such word as “caring” on factory farms. the people who own, and work on factory farms have ALOT to be ashamed of, maybe even more so than the hunter who goes out a couple times a year. factory farmers practice obscene amounts of cruetly every day they go to work. it’s all about the almighty dollar with factory farmers, and cows in these “farms” are just a commodity. factory farmed cows are some of the most mistreated, wait, i need to rephrase that, tortured, animals on the planet. and even if someone doesn’t care about the treatment of cows, it is a fact that factory farms serve an enormous roll in destroying the environment. and dairy factory farms are just as bad. i know people think it’s silly, but cows morn when their babies are taken from them to be made into veal. they are bred over and over and over again, with never ever getting to feed or even nuzzle their offspring. and when they can no longer give milk, which even when it arrives in a carton at your corner store, still has remnants of pus, blood, antibiotics, and sometimes urine and excrement, because the cow is forced to produce too much milk, at times they can barely walk, and they do fall, often, into their own filth, and their udders bleed and are ulcerated from over production, and a little bit of all of this ends up in the milk you give your child. does anyone know that humans are the only species who drink another mammals milk? it isn’t meant for people to drink, it is meant to make little cows become big cows, which also adds to the obesity in children issue, and i won’t even get started on that! (you’re welcome!) but the female cows who are too old or no longer of use to the farmer have it just as bad as beef cattle. old and abused, they are forced to stand for hours in cattle trucks, many of them never even making the trip, the ones who are alive but can no longer stand are beaten and shocked til they can pull themselves up one last time, only to be hung by one leg, which pulls the leg from it’s socket due to the weight, and then while fully conscious, have their throats slit, some taking several minutes to die. they are then skinned (often while still conscious) and their bodies ground up for dog food, and unbelievably, for cattle food. factory farmers feed cows to cows! an animal that is 100% herbivore, is forced to eat it’s own kind because it is cheaper for the farmers than feeding them healthy grain. if you’re interested at all, before you eat your next burger, or give your child that big cold glass of milk, go to the library and read “death on a factory farm”, “slaughterhouse, the shocking story of greed, neglect, and inhumane treatment inside the u.s. meat industry”, “animal factory”, or any number of books on factory farming, and see the torture and pain and sadness involved in making that glass of milk. AND IT’S NOT EVEN GOOD FOR YOU!!! try a switch to soy or rice or hemp milk, you just might love it! they all come in vanilla and chocolate, cost the same as milk, are Yummy, and there is No cruelty involved! it’s win – win for you and the cows!
    and remember, in the words of sir paul mccartney, “if slaughter houses had glass walls, Everyone would be a vegetarian.” ok, now as i jump off my soap box i apologize if i offended anyone (again!) but if we all come to this site because we love animals so much, well, what about cows? they’re animals, and they’re Sooo cute, and they give their lives for our (well not mine, but for Alot of people’s) food. i think we owe it to them to speak up and try to make those responsible for their well-being see to it that they are treated MUCH more humanely.

110. Emily B. says:

Okay, here is what the deer are raised for:

The does are bottle raised to make them tame, so they are kept in captivity and selectively bred to create a genetically superior strain of deer, usually meaning big deer with big antlers. The does are loved and taken care of like any other domestic hoof stock (cows, goats, sheep, etc.).

The bucks are raised by their mothers, which means they are quite wild and afraid of humans like any wild deer. They are either kept as studs if their pedigree is superior, or are sold to be released on ranches where they are used to improve the genetics of that ranch’s population and/or be hunted. Yes, the bucks are hunted. But the ranches are usually 1000 acres or more, and the hunt is fair chase (i.e. no chasing with cars, helicopters, etc.).

It seems a lot of you believe hunting to be evil, but I think keeping animals in stockyards to be slaughtered, or keeping them in barns where they never see the light of day and then slaughtering them is far worse than fair chase hunting.
    And please let me emphasize that a bottle raised deer, i.e. a tame deer is never released to be shot. Never.

And also, please do not attack my character for working at this ranch. I love these babies dearly (or deerly) and so does everyone who works and lives here. I love animals just as much as you all do, but I also believe that they can be used for food.

111. BStrange says:

MiT: Belatedly: My heart goes out to you. I’ve been there, most recently with a car-stunned crow who didn’t make it. :(

Wllwn: I don’t think that, no, that was irony of a sort, and I’ve spent plenty of time in the woods. I’m not ignorant regarding the subject matter just because I don’t agree with you. ;)

Lucy, Emily, and others, kudos for sticking to your guns under fire. :)

Speaking of that: The very fact that there are so many unresolvably different views posted here tends to support my point; there will never be one universally held viewpoint on this subject (insert wishful thinking here). But my piece has been said twice over, no need to repeat myself (again).

112. Well, this was a whole lot of not fun. And I think MiT misses the mark. Am I mistaken in thinking the moderator’s job is to interject a little humor and, um, moderate? I saw getting in the thick of things and adding fuel to the fire, not moderation.

113. BStrange says:

Mods are only human, Huh. We all are. That kinda looked like the point, to me.

114. radiobleep says:

How about posting adorable pictures of Pit Bull puppies that are being bred to fight? Maybe pictures of some adorable baby seals just before the clubbing?

115. TrixandSam says:

Meg, MiT: TIme to shut this post’s comments down and let everyone go back to their corners for a breather. I recommend a few rounds of bunnies, hammies, puppies and kitties to calm things down.

116. BStrange says:

I think TrixandSam just said the most sensible thing on this comments page, and yes, I include my own comments with the rest in that evaluation.

117. Lucy Loup-Garou says:

Can’t we please have some ratties?
    @nicemonkey, please try to read what people are saying more carefully before –

deer gods, what am I DOING??? I need ratties!

118. Surrealle says:

“Mitch, do you want an apple?”

“No, eventually it will be a core!”

Hunting debate aside (I can understand hunting for meat, can’t abide hunting for fun or to stick a dead animal body on the wall), the pics are beautiful. And I lol’d at the “deer god I hope that’s my mom” one, that caption is priceless!

119. BStrange says:

Surrealle: Nice apple analogy, too. Yeah, I don’t get the appeal of trophy hunting either. I prefer taking my trophies with a camera – which can be just as difficult, but also allows “shooting” the same deer twice. ;)

Someone still reading mentioned the dog argument. Okay, I’ll bite:

Whitetail deer have been seen as primarily food and/or trophy hunting targets in their home territory for a very long time, UNlike dogs and cats – who’ve been ratters, protectors, working animals, and companions in large numbers and for long enough to have a lot more support in the “don’t eat/hunt/mistreat them” camp. Regardless of any occasional exceptions, you can’t cross-compare the two situations in the USA, at least not with much accuracy. It only works as something dramatic to say, not in application.

My bottom line on the hunting debate is that animals viewed as providing some concrete benefit to humankind (including companionship, service, food, hunt-ability, whatever) will have better chances of long-term species survival than anything short of opportunistic vermin.

Many people who see deer as pests, food, or prey will never, ever be convinced to see them the same way as the average vegan. Which is why I’ve been suggesting that the “NO! Everyone MUST think of deer EXACTLY AS I DO” people (of both extremes) might want to reconsider compromise. Because “everyone” never will see them as “just food, trophy, or vermin” or “only cute animals that should never be killed”. Insanity has often been defined as attempting the same thing in the same way, over and over, expecting a different outcome to somehow result… A change of tactics might do some people (and the deer) more good.

120. Not to be a chowder but you guys think that they are all cute which they are but living in Montana deer are a huge problem, they flood the streets and sidewalks, practically tame because tourists feed them! They are a major problem on Montana’s roadways, hundreds of people are rushed to the emergency room each year because a deer or they are carried away in a coffin. If we couldn’t hunt them they would quickly and effortlessly overpopulate causing a ecosystem overload, the ecosystem would not be able to support the deer population, other animals that depend on the ecosystem might die out because deer have ate everything, farmers would struggle to keep them from eating their crops, predators would not be able to eat them fast enough, they would populate cities and towns like cats do except would cause way more destruction and a lot of headaches for the animal control crew. So just remember don’t blame the hunters and get mad at us for killing deer, thank us, if it wasn’t for us the entire species known as deer would probably not exist today because they would eat everything that was there and slowly die off of starvation. Each time I shoot a deer I’m doing Mother Nature a favor. I know a lot of you will get upset at this post but it is the facts, if we didn’t hunt deer they could not exist today, same would go with other game animals, it’s all a part of the circle of life and there’s nothing that is going to change what Mother Nature has given us, just be thankful we have all the wonderful creatures that we have on this earth.

121. Mod-in-Training says: