Real-life dust ball!

If you’ve seen the Japanese animated film My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away you’ve see the lil’ dust ball characters who do odd jobs around the castle, like carrying shoes (on left). Obviously, Kitteh “Flake” is a big fan:

Kristen D., do you pay Flake extra for deliveries?

Comments

1. Susuwatari!! Gah, I wanna squeeze him. X3

2. Those critters were in Totoro, but there was no castle. The movie you’re thinking of is Spirited Away, which also has those critters, but there they are servants instead of just the harmless ghosts in Totoro.

3. Sooo adorable! <3

4. I think you mean Spirited Away. My Neighbor Totoro is about the giant cuddly forest spirits.

Nevertheless, cute kitten is very cute and fluffy! ^^;

5. Melinda says:

Want to kiss!!!!

6. Cris, there are definitely dust sprites in My Neighbor Totoro :)

7. They’re from Spirited Away, but by the same animator and director (Hayao Miyazaki), and they’re dust motes animated to do the bidding of the man who runs the boilers in a bath house!

8. Malle Babbe says:

The moment when the dust sprites start dropping their coal to get San to do it for them was comedy gold!

9. This looks so much like my late, sweet girl, Isabella, that I had to save this pic. Flake is gorgeous!

10. OMGLOOKITTHELITTLEEARPOOFS!!!

11. @Sunny: Hmm … not sure where the castle is in My Neighbor Totoro. Cute picture, though.

12. Noelegy says:

What a beautiful kitteh! And yes, definitely a soot sprite come to life!

13. BStrange says:

BWAHH! *thumps chest* Wow. Living cosmetic puff is Not Amused!

I had to turn the brightness up briefly to convince myself there’s a face in there, somewhere. :D

14. i’ve seen totoro! it’s a soot sprite!!

15. No, NO, that is BASEMENT CAT!!!! ;)

My Dante has an all-black face with quizzical eyes, too. He looks like Marvin the Martian.

16. Katiedid says:

Awwww! Such a beautiful cat!! I love the hair tuffs on the ears!

17. Bat-Snake says:

Well, the soot sprites were in Spirited Away, which is what the little thumbnail is from. But the kitty looks like a mix between a Totoro AND a Soot Sprite. Which is pretty awesome.

18. BStrange says:

Theresa – Cats are from Mars, dogs are from Venus? Heh. If you can get the little helmet to stay on long enough, submit a pic. :D

19. Lillith says:

Yeah the thumbnail is from Spirited Away, I loved those little guys! And I love this little soot sprite kitteh too!

20. Kitteh is half Owl! gorgeous!

21. kibblenibble says:

I cannot see this kitty’s nose and mouth! But the eyes and fur are gorgeous! Is it a Persian?

22. BStrange says:

There is an absence of hovertext! *glances up at Theresa’s mention of Marvin the Martian* Oh dear. Was it disintegrated?

I now imagine Flake as looking up at his human and thinking:

“Oh, how simply dandy. I’ve captured another earth creature. Why, isn’t that lovely? Hugo will be so happy to have a playmate, but you know how lonesome he gets.”

23. Aww, she’s like an emo version of the Pygmy Puff from Harry Potter! Don’t cry, Emo Puff, I will wuv you!

24. Yeah the picture is from Spirited Away, but the sootballs are in both films ^_^
    I want a sootball kitty -_-

25. chanpon says:

Want!

26. zoothousand says:

I really want a Totoro friend, but I’d settle for some soot sprites.

27. :D OMG SO CUTE. <3 Want!

I think you're thinking about Spirited Away, as others have pointed out (that's what the thumbnail is from, where the soot sprites return Chihiro's shoes). There were soot sprites (well, "dust bunnies") in My Neighbor Totoro, but there wasn't a castle. There was in Spirited Away, though!

28. @mike: no castle, just soot sprites.
    Elle knows the deal!

P.S. I super love this kitty’s eyes!

29. Pfft– flake? puahaha~ that’s a funny name.

30. Yep, Spirited Away, ‘m pretty sure (I had a birthday cake screen-printed with this image once!)

Adorables!

31. Thats soo cute!! :)) Adorable eyes!

32. Tee Kay says:

I’m just going to turn in to a puddle of goo! Such a little sweetheart! IAs to the Miyazaki references, resemble the soot sprites (in the thumbnail of Spirited Away) and the dust bunnies (from My Neighbor Totoro) from both movies the kitty does!

33. That screen shot is from Spirited Away…

34. knittinkitten says:

Cutest little soot sprite ever! Nose beeeeeeeeeeep!

35. Actually, that was Spirited Away. And it wasn’t a castle. It was a bath house.

HOWEVER, Pixar does make a very large bow to their hero Hayao Miyazaki and My Neighbor Totoro in Toy Story 3: I was DELIGHTED.

36. Mary (the first) says:

I know nothing about any of those movies but I know a gorgeous kitteh when I see one. I also had a long-hair solid black with green eyes kitteh and he was the sweetest cat on earth. Ever. EVER.

37. hamusuta San says:

Actually, it’s Spirited Away. one of my top 5 fave movies!!!

38. Probably a cousin to that flying white cat with no feet.

39. Martha in Washington says:

I LOVE black kitties with green eyes! Best color combo EVER!!! (Especially on human men! :) )

40. Makkuro Kurosuke (pitch-black blackies!) appear carrying coal in Spirited Away, and as ‘dust bunnies’ in the house in My Neighbour Totoro. As people have observed, the pic is from Spirited Away, and there is no castle in Totoro, so the description may have caused some confusion.

THERE!

Now, let’s all enjoy the gorgeous floofy floof-ball!

41. BStrange says:

Comic panel #2. I knew Flake reminded me of something else… :D

42. Oh. Muh. Gawd.

Floof. floof, floof! Me wants. Me gots ta have.

43. cyberpunkrocker says:

Right, the thumbnail is from ‘Spirited away’, but anyway…

…Oh, how beeee-autiful fluffy kitteh! Black fur with green eyes must be the most stylish of all kitteh colors!!!

44. *completely serious* Ohhh…I’d give a lot to own a kitten like that. I’ve been looking for a beautiful black kitten with incredible green eyes like my little girl, Pepper, for a long time. (Pepper was my constant companion for 11 1/2 yrs.) WOW.

45. Hi, Flake! How do you eat, ‘cuz I don’t think you have a mouth in there.

46. catlover says:

What, no hovertext? All it says is flak by silverbracelet or something.

47. Wait, wait. Let me just clear this up one more time….I believe that picture is from Spirited Away…. ;-)

48. Ohh!!! I always wanted a dust sprite!

49. Elisha B. says:

One word…….KITTIE!!!!!! (with the most beautiful eyes)

50. I could never, ever, refuse that face anything. Here you go kitteh – credit cards, tuna, my soul on a silver platter…what’s that? You just want a wad of crinkled up paper to play with? Oh very well. :)

Ahem – slight threadjack: has anyone else gone to Maru’s blog and checked him out wandering outside in a blue raincoat?? OMG. When he’s using the litter box AND wearing the raincoat is absofreakinglutely hysterical. I love that cat.

51. OK, now I know I *must* see My Neighbor Totoro — the universe wills it. This is only the umpteenth time I’ve come across a reference to it. And I’ll see Spirited Away, too, since everyone has brought it up.

And yes, Jen, I saw Maru in his little blue raincoat — so glad someone else referenced it! Cracked me up — that, and Maru in his wigs made out of his own cat hair! :D

52. Mew mew mew I has a cute says:

Actually you guys, THAT PIC OF THE FUZZIES IS FROM THE MOVIE SPIRITED AWAY, but it My neighbor totoro was made by the same person and does also have a few fuzzies in it. I know because I have the movie Spirited away and it freaked me out as a kid. ykwim

53. hipcheck says:

I hope someone mentions that the dusties are from Spirited Away…

54. LovesDogs says:

A black furry, big-eyed kitty. Where is his mouf?

55. Shygrrl74 says:

***looks at kitteh…looks at soot sprites…back to kitteh…***

***ded***

Miyazaki … best ever!

56. Squeeeeeeeeeeee!

57. Patricia Shapiro says:

Have you seen OSCAR, the cat with two prosthetic back legs?

58. haha, so cute!!! =D

59. I just spent 5 minutes on the Broenink link, that was fun! My 2 year old just meowed.

60. Jenn in IL says:

@Jess and hipcheck: you two took the words RIGHT out of my mouth! Sheesh…

I don’t care WHERE the thumbnail is from…Flake is one of the most bee-yoo-tee-ful kitties I’ve ever had the pleasure of seeing. Those eyes just slay me.

61. Fishy98 says:

I do believe McFlakersons there is eating my soul. And that I am liking it and spoon feeding it to my Soul Overlord happily.

62. Floppycat says:

I’ve seen Spirited Away…and you tell me there’s ANOTHER movie with those little guys in it!!! (jumping in car…racing to video store)

LOVE this picture!

63. Smooooooch!

64. I’d sell my soul easily to those green eyes. Beautiful, beautiful baby.

65. @zippy and jen, could either of you post the link to the raincoat pic of Maru?? I would love that, not sure how to find it on his website.

66. Funny, that picture has been in a great art thief battle on DeviantArt XD

67. Rooanne says:

Flake: the soot sprite with ears!

Good to see so many Miyazaki fans! His animation and stories are so magical.

68. a few more legs, and Maru can be Catbus!

69. Alissa – here you go! I hope the link works right.

70. Just do your selves a favor and dont look too deeply into the actual meaning behind the Miyazaki movies. They are in fact quite grim. Much better to view them as Disneyesque adventures.

71. First saw the black puffballs in Totoro, then saw them again in Spirited Away! And when I visited Japan a couple of years ago I bought some ‘soot sprite’ fridge magnets!

And I want a kitty that looks like Flake – no mouth = cheap to feed! ;)

72. 真っ黒くろすけ出ておいで~♪
    Thank you, for posting this when all Japanese people needed some form of comfort after the intense soccer game….

73. FinnMacCool says:

I call this “Maggie Simpson” face…..all eyes, no mouth. Just needs a pacifier.

74. flutterbye says:

POOOOFFFFF!!!!

75. Black Kitteh!!!! With amazing green eyes!!! Want!!! Want!!! Want!!!

76. Um…is there a nose in there to beep?

77. skippymom says:

The picture of Maru using the litter box while wearing a blue raincoat is possibly the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.
    (maybe Leonard Cohen could write a song about it?)

78. OMG, where can I find such prosh floooof?!

No, don’t tell me. Then I would have to steal him.

79. If I had two kitties like that I would want to name them Makkuro Kurosuke (Pitch-black Blackie) and Susuwatari (Traveling Soot) in honor of the Miyazaki films. We have both movies (Totoro and Spirited Away) and love them both.

80. Ya’ll can have all the dust balls you’d like. I’ll take this little fellow and maybe a Night Fury that closely resembles my cat Donna.

81. victoreia says:

I knew there was a reason I wanted a Pygmy Puff! I’ll just take this one here…..
    [snatching kitteh and RLH.......]

82. knittinkitten says:

Thanks for posting the link to Maru in his rain coat. Sooooooo cute Maru. Went to knit night last Friday and someone had their computer there. Immediately got everyone hooked on Maru!!!!!!! When you are on Youtube type in panda 0000000
    they have the cutest little Scottish fold kitteh!

83. snnifff sssnifff..

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

84. I can’t believe nobody’s been reminded of Dust Puppy from UserFriendly!

85. BStrange says:

Sinick – Dust Puppy! Hmm, now that you mention it… Heh.

Thankyou for the link, haven’t looked at UF in years… *goes to fix that*

86. You’re right! You’re right!

My bad—link has ben corrected above!

XOXO, Meg

87. Sun Badger says:

soot sprite!! yup they keep the troglodyte population under control. Soooooooooooooo cute I just want to touch him, rub under his chin and hear him purr He is pure magic! Do I miss my cat!!

88. i think both totoro and spirited away also have this character :Dy

89. Lerrinus says:

My what beautiful eyes you have!

90. So cute! Looks like a cartoon!

91. Kerensa says:
  92. Miyazaki uses soot spirtes in Totoro, Spirited Away, and Howl’s Moving Castle. Totoro came first.

93. ravenicole says:

they are in both films, and are known as soot gremlins :)

94. I’ve seen Spirited Away… but i dont know about totoro

95. Yes, the soot sprites are also in Totoro, when the family moves into their new house. This little guy is just WAY too cute. He looks a little like a younger version of my LucyFur.

96. the soot sprites were in BOTH movies.

97. miltoncat says:

Eeee!

Little sweetie pie face. Must kiss it. Mwah! :*

98. What a cutie pie!!!!!!!!! Lovely PuttyTat!!!!

99. If anyone else likes Japanese anime, Kiki’s Delivery Service is by the same director as Howl’s Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and the like. I highly recommend!

–bossgripes.com

100. danielie says:

SPIRITED AWAY IS ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME.

Also, this cat is unbearably cute. <3

101. rubber duck says:

The dust balls are in both films.

This is the first time I see a real one, though.

102. Rapwnzel says:

That was the first thing that came to mind about that picture. Spirited Away. wow.

103. Undo the Totoro cross out! They’re in both!

104. ProlixBlonde says:

Do want! It’s so adorable! *huggles*

105. Anne Schliessmann says:
  106. This is SO adorable, and you didn’t have to cross out My Neighbor Totoro, They are in fact in that movie as well. When they move into their new home, the dust spirits are inside. The littlest one every catches one and it turns to soot in her hands.

107. :lol: I would just love to take little Flake home with me :lol:

108. Susuwatari as Basement Cat as Susuwatari.

109. Juniper Jupiter says:

OMG!!! Mah NERMAL!!! :D

SQUEEEEEE!!!!! <3

110. What big eyes, I have a black cat and I thought his eyes where big ,maybe thats what makes black cats so great they have big eyes that allways make you laugh at least mine does .

111. Anonymous says:

AHHHHHH! KAWAII!!!! IT’S SOOOO FLUFFY I WANNA TAKE IT HOME!!!