Breaking News: Red Panda Birf

According to the WashPo, The National Zoo has the first-born Red Panda cub at the zoo in over a decade.

Nork!!! [The sound I just made looking at this Cute Overload Xtreme Red Pandy Close-up]

Comments

1. CUUUUTE

2. Gawww! (sound I made upon seeing this beautiful bebeh)
    Thanks, Meg, for making my day … and it’s only 3 hours old! (the day that is)

3. trinlayk says:

Bebe firefox! squee!

4. Wait… What??? AWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!… the sounds i made when I saw the pictures.

5. He’s so WIDDLE!!!!! *supersonic squees*

Endangered birfs = even more special when they’re this RIDICULOUSLY PROSHTASTIC!

6. Also, why is this tagged “bears” (family ursidae)? They’re superfamily musteloidae, family ailuridae..

*is nerd*

7. victoreia says:

…….. [the sub-sonic noise I tried to make]

8. victoreia says:

[reads Lizzy's second post] Wait…. they’re related to muskrats and cats?

9. @victoreia – No, they’re not actually related to cats, though it’s Latin name does translate to “shining cat,” because it looks so similar to one. Domestic cats are in the family Felidae.

10. *ITS Latin name.

11. victoreia says:

@Lizzy — Just finished checking Wikipedia; sneaky root “ailur”!

(And I was thinking “weasels”, but brain said “muskrat”….[blushing] age is sneaking up again…..)

12. Does that mean age is being… WEASELY!?! Like the Mustelids? Cuz… they’re sneaky… and weasels…

13. LOL @ the bebe firefox comment. So true!!

14. BStrange says:

Firefox has an update for you!

NORK. :D

“Birf-tastic” had me giggling, too.

15. BStrange says:

Oh, yeesh. Twice beaten to the Firefox punch! Hee. Oh well.

So, who here knew the weasel/muskrat thing already, solely because of Queen of Dork asking the other day and setting off a flurry of Googling? *raises hand*

16. yay for new pandas!

*attempts to quickly knit up four teeny tiny bebeh booties, tangles yarn, gets frustrated and throws the whole mess away*

17. Lisa N. says:

Funny coincidence! The Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet reports that a newly arrived red panda at Kristiansand Zoo suddenly gave birth to two cubs — twist is that no-one knew she was pregnant: http://www.dagbladet.no/2010/06/22/nyheter/dyrenes_nyheter/innenriks/dyreparken/12252718/

Google translated: http://tinyurl.com/33pvgbj

18. Hon Glad says:

It’s still foetus shaped

19. Redbone says:

MOM NOM NOM

20. BStrange says:

It looks like it is also whininks, probably with that miniature nrRRrrrR, recreational metal detector noise that babycritchurs make. Aww.

corianne – I was good at making potholders or, if I pulled in the wrong place, burrito warmers. That’s about all. *measures bitty new panda with hands* Actually, a burrito warmer would work. They’re easy to make, you just make a lopsided square with sturdy yarn and then>/i> notice you pulled it short near the middle so it has a permanent curl. Note: This only works if the desired item is supposed to be flat.

21. BStrange says:

a-whoops. Ahem. Darned typos.

22. bookmonstercats says:

@Lizzy, you IS seriously nerdy. “Shining cats”, how beautiful. @victoreia, you’re not far behind, either, in the nerd stakes; props to you both.

@Hon Glad, you are so right. When I first started scrolling down the picture, I thought, “Goodness. Bebeh pandies are born looking just like an adult.” THEN I saw the bebeh in its mother’s mouth.

*’SPLODES*, making indeterminate noises, like “Gaaaah…. wants…….”

23. looks like very dutiful momma red pandy. Notice fierce eye roll on the look out for paparazzi etc

24. 260Oakley says:

Hmm, looks to me like the bebeh panda is not red-y for his closeup yet. Put him back in the oven, he’s not quite done!

25. junemrc says:

o gosh! this is totally amazing!

26. squee. that is all.

27. Erm……. “Nork” is a word for breasts.

Baby red panda!!! The world would like more, pls. Kthxbye.

28. Congrats to parents Shama and Tate! Oh, and…squee!

29. Trabb's Boy says:

Redbone (18) wins the Internets today.

30. freetomato says:

Look at the splayed baby toes on his back foot! I look forward to seeing updates on this little red pandette as he/she blossoms.

31. TrixandSam says:

Mama’s eyes!! Look at that fierce gaze! All protective and proud at the same time. Sigh…we humans don’t deserve such cuteness.

32. chanpon says:

*gasp* He’s so fresh, he’s yet to turn all cheetosey orange!

33. Agreed baby’s not done cooking yet. He looks like a chew toy with his “not-quite-dry” fur. Mama though looks ready to take a chunk of the photographer if he DOES.NOT.BACK.UP!

34. Elisha B. says:

Babieeeeeeee…too sweet!

35. Good job, Mom Panda!

36. Emmberrann says:

Anybody notice the brand-new whiskerinis on Bebeh? Mama’s are pretty impressive, but Bebeh has whiskerinis ready even at just 3 hours old, also notice pretty impressive armor claws on feets, and I don’t think they’re retractable…… I just loves me some red pandas.

37. barkbark says:

Oh noes – getting snorfed!
    Activate limpage!

38. Make sure you check out all the pics on the Nat Zoo site!!!!!

39. too cute!! <3 red pandas

40. YAY for more Red Panderers!!

41. @Lisa N., “Dagbladet” sounds like one of those euphemistic cusswords. :P

42. Awww squeeeeeeeeeeeee! I haven’t seen a bubby red panda before! cuuuute!

43. Hon Glad says:

Theresa – “Dagbladet” sounds like Ula in the Producers,or as Max Bialistock would say
    “A wuma wa wa wa wa”

44. SugarBee says:
  45. knittinkitten says:

AAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW! Now dees is why I look at Cute Overload. I like how the momma panda looks like a cross between a cat and a bear. Loves how protective she is and the widdle whiskers on the baby. Thanks! You made my day!

46. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_panda has more cute photos, and says that “It has been previously classified in the families Procyonidae (raccoon) and Ursidae (bears), but recent research has placed it in its own family Ailuridae, in superfamily Musteloidea along with Mustelidae, Procyonidae, and Mephitidae.” Meaning they have their own family alongside weasels, raccoons, and skunks. (I thought they were still in the Coon family.) Not closely related to giant pandas– they just live in similar places and both are former carnivores now adapted to eat bamboo.

Writing all that doesn’t mean I’m not squeeing. When the baby’s on exhibit and it’s not 97° I hope to get downtown to see the family!

47. I can’t wait to pop over for a look once it cools off a bit – they have some bear cubs over there as well that I haven’t seen yet.

48. Here’s a quick vid. Love babeh draped on mama’s tummy.

49. OMG — SQUEEEEEEEEE! Look at the wormy infant, still all weebly and slimy.

BTW, they’re related to raccoons and pandas — but are neither mustelids nor bears.

50. Queen of Dork says:

Holy Crap. That’s really cute.

51. I thought she is eating her prey

52. mobiustrip says:

“Hey guys, look! Another little me came out of me! Wild, hunh?”

53. Sadly, the cub died this week. Apparently red panda cubs have a 50% mortality rate in captivity. More here:

54. I love these widdle guys:)