Science Develops Boneless Penguin!

TOXIC MILLS, MN — Researchers at the Center for Dubious Science today presented “Flopsy,” the world’s first fully boneless penguin.

From the collection Zoo Babies by the San Francisco Zoo.

Comments

1. Was he born next to the Boneless Chicken Ranch?

2. Seems CRUEL to me!NOT CUTE! How’s the poor thing going to walk?! And they get our dollars for this so called “Research”?!

3. So relaxed, he make me sleepy! *y-a-w-n*

4. Wish I could hold him. Babies are so warm and heavy when they are this relaxed. Feels good to know how much they need your support!

5. Why would they develop a boneless penguin? So cruel, what next?

6. Venerable Bead says:

Might I suggest a pedicure for Ms. Flopsy? Those nails are killer!

7. I usually don’t notice these things but apparently the zoo’s hired a hand model, perhaps Jason Patric’s Fabrice, to handle the chicks.

Seriously, don’t most penguin handlers have scarred up, mutilated hands from their charges?

8. ViolaDeLesseps says:

“Flopsy!” Hahahahahahahaha!

Utterly adorabuhls.

9. Aww, he’s wearing Daddy’s shoes… uh, feets.

10. Whaddya want for nothing? A rrrrrubberr penguin? Bow bow bow…

11. Those are some HUGE feets compared to the rest of him.

12. he’s so cute that i wish i could regurgitate my tuna sammich for heem!! ahhhn.

13. Mod-in-Training says:

[i thought the same thing until i looked more closely at the date line. i checked on a map and "toxic mills, mn" is a little south of "embarrass."

--M.i.T.]

14. He’s not boneless is he? :( that would be extremely sad and alarming.

Science is going too far O_o

15. domanato says:

if he’s truly boneless then it’s definitely not cute.

16. *pats Cata on the head* You’re adorable.

17. OK, this has to be done. IT’S NOT REALLY BONELESS!! That was a JOKE.

18. @notthatmike…
    perhaps a gentler description is better suited for our more gullible sensitive viewers…like me, it took a while to register.

19. I think that is so sad and cruel…

20. 260Oakley says:

Fillet O’Squish

21. This is MEAN! Not cute…

22. Of course the penguin isn’t really boneless, peeps. Do you see his feet? Do you see te structure of his toes? There are BONES that form those toes.

23. @DKN lol thanks, oh my I feel a bit stupid now, gah! I mean the feet!!

In that case the baby is super cute! (*_*)

24. camille says:

Criminy, is today Check Your Sense of Humor at the Door day?

People: there is no such place as Toxic Mills. There is no such entity as the Center for Dubious Science. And there is no such thing as a Boneless Penguin. (Flightless, yes. Boneless, no.) NTMTOM was simply using humor to emphasize the floppulence of this cute baby.

This is your instructor, Captain Obvious, signing off.

25. Whoa! Om, you guys, it was a joke. Did you all miss the “Researchers at the Center for Dubious Science” part??

26. Mod-in-Training says:

[it's funny. unless you are funny boneless.

M.i.T.]

27. Ouch!

28. belphebe says:

I think I’d be worried about what other creatures are being created in a place called Toxic Mills! Was poor Flopsy created intentionally, or did her mama drink some contaminated water?

Love the “Center for Dubious Science”. I’m 99.99% sure it’s a fictional place. However, there are a lot of strange inventions out there that could only have come from dubious minds.

gently strokes floppy penguin and kisses the top of his/her head.

29. sarbear says:

i am actually dumbfounded by how many people seriously think this animal is really a “boneless” penguin developed by “science”.

that level of ridiculous stupidity is both hilarious and a bit sad.

in other news, GIMME THAT PENGUIN!

30. kibblenibble says:

Re: M in T’s comment (#26)

Funny boneless! Bwa ha ha! :-D

31. Hey come folks, this is the same country where you can get boneless chicken wings. (Far Side image comes to mind) And chicken can be fished out of the sea. Sometimes modern life can be confusing for folks.

32. I will take offense to the “Toxic Mills, MN” reference. Granted, I don’t know where Toxic Mills is, but MN is awesome! (We love our boneless and bony penguins alike, too)! :)

33. @Kar I will definitely blame it on modern life and my dogs trying to get my attention every second I’m on the computer (they’re jealous of it)

34. katfighter says:

@Camille…I was formulating a reply to all the gullible folk but you said it so succinctly…no elaboration necessary!

35. katfighter says:

Oh yeah…that is one hella cute baby penguin. Want.

36. TheLoveOfIsis says:

Ok I’m not usually one to say this… But that’s just kinda sad.

37. Huh? I’m not sure what’s sad about this. Looks like the penguin chick has what my dad calls a “heavy head.” Where they act like their head is just so heavy that they have to rest it on an affectionate hand.

Thing probably has the kind of pampered life that we dream of on a Monday morning.

38. Don’t worry people, I believe the boneless part is just a joke… seems to me like it is well-boned indeed, just very very relaxed. It’s a baby penguin from the Zoo!! Don’t worry!

39. But do they taste like chicken?

40. I thought *everyone* knew that it’s cats that are boneless

41. Ummmm; I wonder if the Center for Dubious Science is anywhere near
    LakeWoeBeGone??? (Somebody cue Garrison Keillor…..!)

42. victoreia says:

Wish I could get that relaxed!

C’mon, peeps, haven’t you heard the expression “bonelessly relaxed”?!? [rolling eyes]

43. flutterbye says:

This whole stream is tickling my funny bone!!

I reeeely can’t believe some of y’all took that tie-tie, relaxed babeh penguin to akchully be BONELESS! Say… I’ve got this bridge you might be interested in…

44. THIS WAS NOT FUNNY! Glad it was only a joke but it wasn’t a very funny one!

45. MediaNet says:

Cry some more.

Cute penguin, by the way.

46. amygaspard says:

Ok, I have to admit that when I first read the “boneless penguin” line, I went “no way! That’s awful!” But then I thought… wait a second… no way would cuteoverload advocate that. Then I noticed that the pics are from the San Francisco Zoo and I thought “no way would there be a boneless penguin from a nice zoo like that.” So I re-read the info again and tah-dah! It’s suddenly funny!

I only wish I was blonde so that I’d have an excuse. :P

I want to tickle the little babeh under his floppy chin!

47. Holy metaphors Batman. What happened to the clever and witty people at CO? I think the Penguin is has used his No-Whimsy Ray on them.
    Formula: Babies are cute and floppy. + There is a great cartoonist, G. Larson, who illustrated The Boneless Chicken Ranch cartoon panel. Put it together now…. = boneless penguin post.

48. Johnny Fisherman says:

Yes it was, Nancy. Get a sense of humor.

You can find ‘em at Wal-Mart for a bargain.

49. emily rachel says:

criminy jicket, you guys seriously need to get a sense of humor/not be so gullible.

50. Bunnypharr says:

Aside from the numerous amounts of people saying the babe’s actually not boneless…..the beak alone should have clued you in (being that it is a bone), and the fact that the head has a shape and all and not a floppy puddle of penguin noggin…..*sigh*

51. Either people are actually miffed at the post or they are successfully trollin’ the peeps getting miffed by their miffy…ness. Both possibilities amuse me greatly, but I think I prefer the second option for the delicious layers of irony. :)

I love you CO.

52. Wow…I thought all those people saying “boneless isn’t cute” were kidding. Now it’s even funnier. Bravo, NTMTOM….I know you’re shaking your head somewhere thinking “people, it’s a joke…!”

As to the comment about the hand model, I second that. I volunteer at a local shelter and with all the kittens around my hands are a mass of nicks, cuts, little bites, and various other scars. And I love every one.

53. Dear people,

Did you know that “gullible” isn’t in the dictionary?! Go see for yourselves!

*facepalm*

54. Ehhh... says:

“I consider it a good day when I not get mistaken for a wash cloth. No really, that one wasn’t a joke!”

55. My dummy self was about to fall for it!!

56. @ Mod-in- Training …….Snicker!!!

57. polka-dots says:

the ones who thought this was real should really read The Onion. there’s some good stuff in there…..

don’t worry. you can still believe everything that’s shoved down your throat. ignorance is bliss, right?

58. Oh geez peeps.

Lolz at the pengu

59. Hon Glad says:

I like the contrast between the strong hands and the Penguin chicks downy feathers.

60. AuntieMame says:

A good rule of thumb is not to take anything seriously on CuteOverload.

(Although I’m seriously mystified as to how this particular post seemed to slip past so many people’s humor sensors, when it’s straight out of a Gary Larson cartoon. Sheesh.)

I’ve seen penguins in this floppy-necked position lots of times when they’re humping their way up the side of a steepish iceberg. Google some penguin videos and look for it.

61. AuntieMame wrote: “Although I’m seriously mystified as to how this particular post seemed to slip past so many people’s humor sensors, when it’s straight out of a Gary Larson cartoon.”

AND it was written by NTMTOM, the man with the Groucho Marx gravatar.

62. BStrange says:

I’ve consumed hazardous amounts of Gary Larson’s “The Far Side” so I got the “boneless chicken ranch” reference immediately. Li’l guy looks so comfy! And is trying hard to earn himself a “Blorp” tag, but he just can’t follow Mama Hippopotamus’s act.

That, or he is the supersoft Backyard Puppeh’s long-lost avian littermate. Hmm.

And to the trollians/reactionary duh-brigade who posted above Not Getting It, I have only this to say:

63. I wish I could laugh at all the outraged comments on the cruelty of the boneless penguin, but I’m just too disgusted by their stupidity.

64. Yes.. this is cruel and not cute. What purpose does it serve the scientific communities to have ANYTHING born with no bones.. its just sick!

65. its not a matter of people being stupid or gullible, there are scientists out there conducting experiments on animals all the time… this could be true…. or it could be fake….

66. Mod-in-Training says:

[almost as sick as approving your comment.

--M.i.T.]

67. Mod-in-Training says:

[oh, good. you got the invitation to the blanket party. no name tag required, just walk right in.

--M.i.T.]

68. Hon Glad says:

M-I-T…. Your developing a nice line of snark. :)

69. i’m too disgusted!! Poor baby!

70. No, Sandy, this post couldn’t be true. That’s where the “stupid or gullible” part comes in.

71. i realize in this community we all love animals and care about their welfare, and, as a result, sometimes jump the gun when we *perceive* abuse or neglect.

that being said, i’m still quite surprised that some people who have posted comments actually believe that this penguin is boneless. please, people, THINK! it’s a joke! my goodness me.

72. Mod-in-Training says:

[don't worry, milimax, the scientists are developing a way to insert new, stronger, lead-based bones back into the penguin.

please line up with the other fish waiting to jump into the barrel.

--M.i.T.]

73. Mod-in-Training says:

[thanks! i think snark is my last class before i'm official!

--M.i.T.]

74. flutterbye says:

@M.i.T, You will pass with flying colors, NO BONES ABOUT IT !!

75. Very humerus M.i.T..

76. BStrange says:

Like hunting snipe in a barrel, MiT!

I want to know how many of the OMG SCIENCE IS EVIL! IT MADE A BIRD WITH NO BONES! posters managed a passing grade in biology and related subjects anytime after the third grade. I’m not sure which would worry me more: a low number, or a high one… :eek:

77. Johnny Fisherman says:

Sandy, see the skull? The feet? The bill?
    BONES. THERE’S NO CONSPIRACY.
    Grab some Hooked on Phonics and get your IQ above room temperature for all of our sakes.

78. Look, if you have a sibling with a rare rubber bone disease like oteomalacia I get that this isn’t funny for you. But if you don’t get why other people don’t find it funny or didn’t get the joke at all, let’s be gentle here.

Downy feather gentle.

79. Selphie le Boffin says:

Look, you can’t make a boneless penguin. You can’t take the bones out of a vertebrate and get a living, properly formed but floppy animal, it would die as an embryo even if you could do it.

That said; bibby bubby flopsy penguin.

80. Ruffian9 says:

Practicing his ‘essence of blorpiness’

81. Jayy, is it sad that I went, “Wait that’s the wrong kind of hum- I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!”

Sorry, I’m tired. lol

82. I LOVE YOU PHOTOS THEY ARE SO CUTE

83. Penguin. The other black-and-white meat.

84. revealing commentors’ idiocy = not cute!

85. why would anyone develop something like that? what’s the purpose? it’s just CRUEL

86. Mod-in-Training says:

@cattrainingforum ftw.

–M.i.T.]

87. Mod-in-Training says:

[@N because some horrible scientists decided to create a mutant strain of cruel scientists.]

88. you should be ashamed of yourself what are you going to do on this poor thing what kind of experimnts is it infor. you time is coming to meet someone and that wont pretty

89. Mod-in-Training says: