“When it’s time to change, you’ve got to rearrange!”

Behold, a stunning metamorphosis:

The Inclusive Prepster.

The Expressive Goth.

Cheerleader.

Right up John Hughes’ alley, Chase & Jackie.

Comments

1. WOW!

2. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

That’s two types of insects in this post: A butterfly and an earworm. :)

3. Beautiful! My kids and I just watched this amazing transformation with Painted Lady butterflies. My pics of the emergence sure didn’t look that good though!

4. Now that song is stuck in my head.

Super.

Thanks.

5. Beautiful.

6. puddlepeppers says:

Especially WOW after watching Alice in Wonderland!

7. Lovely! Great catch.

8. tracylee says:

zing! to NTMTOM

color me clueless, but is the center one a post-busting-out-of-jail pic? sans flutterby, I mean?

9. I don’t know why, but I thought that the last panel would say

Marcia, Marcia Marcia!

Hey, it wouldn’t be any weirder than all of the Brady men suddenly having perms and would-be ‘fro’s.

10. When I was a kid, I looked for monarch eggs and caterpillars in the spring wherever I saw milkweed plants. I kept them in a big plastic container with the lid gutted and replaced by nylon insect screen, where they were well-fed with milkweed leaves.

11. Hon Glad says:

Reminds me of the old joke. Two Catepillars looking up at a Butterfly, one says to the other “You’ll never get me up in one of those”.

12. Lerrinus says:

Beautiful!!! :-)

13. O NO he (she/it) DI-unt says:

O NO Kar BEAT ME TO THA PUNCH!!

(pouting in QUITE a dignified manner, thangyewverrymuch)

(now I’m pouting like a 4-year old. Why do you ask??)

14. Michelle says:

Cheerleader? That’s a guy, folks. (You can tell by the little swellings in the veins on the lower wings.)

15. OMG…the Brady Bunchy song….

16. I can’t get that song out of my head! Aargh! Along with the cracking voice!

Thank you very much.

17. @Cathy I, too, hear the sha na *NA* na na

18. I’m embarrassed to say that I owned a Brady Bunch album (and I loved it) when I was a kid. Loving the reference…. thanks

19. I don’t get the ‘guy’ reference, Michelle? I’m not a fan of cheerleaders myself but I’m pretty sure they come in both genders.

20. Lucy Loup-Garou says:

Gurg. Beautiful photos. Dreadful earworm.

21. yay for chase and jackie’s pictures being featured!! they are my kids!

22. Erm can we have less (or better yet, no) insects and pests on cuteoverload anymore? I really don’t see how a butterfly or a pupa (ew!) is cute at all!! MAYBE the butterfly can pass for beautiful but so not cute!

And I live in south east asia so we have a LOT of house lizards like the one you featured a few posts down. Their translucent skin (you can see their innards), rubbery texture, bulging eyes and broken tails that twitch on their own make them about the most disgusting, foul creatures ever. They are always feeding on crumbs and jumping on people when we least expect them… Most girls here are terrified of them.

I get it that perhaps you find cuteness in everything but this is the second time in 2 days I gagged looking at cuteoverload!! It is my favourite website too. :(

I know I am cuperficial but can we have more conventional cute please???? More baby bunnies would be nice!! Please, not a roach next!!! :(:(

xoxo

23. ^^ YAY LIZARDS ARE AWESOME

24. the bug man says:

“Not a roach next”?? But roaches are so cute!

(looks around for support)

(ducks head and slinks off quietly)

25. Noooo: Oh, grow up. I thought the gecko was super cute. I’m glad the runners of the website don’t have such a narrow definition of the word “cute”!

26. flutterbye says:

Monarchy!

27. chanpon says:

Sha-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na, sha-na-na-na-na……

28. Mary (the first) says:

That’s not cute! That’s STUNNING.

29. My only serious phobia? Moths and butterflies. THE HORROR. I might have nightmares. (And yes, I understand that this is very, very weird.)

30. Queen of Dork says:

Centipedes (sp?) kind of creep me out. Okay, they REALLY creep me out. (so many legs. *shiver*) This butterfly looks quite majestic!

31. earlybird1 says:

That third picture is downright GORGEOUS. Bravo, I say!

32. Peter Brady never looked so good.

33. Neither did Greg or Bobby. In fact, the Brady Bunch squicks me out a tad more than bugs do. 8O

34. kibblenibble says:

Noooo: CO has already got you covered:

cuteoverload.com/2008/11/17/doo-dee-doo/
    :-P

35. kibblenibble says:

Darn, I thought that would work as a link. Mod-in-training, can you help?

36. kibblenibble says:

Ooh, wait:

Serves me right for being in a hurry. :-( D’oh.

37. I like to think that butterflies were painted by angels and given to us as secret gifts. Some poor souls don’t even notice them!

38. gooeyctr says:

Peter: “After they emerged from their chrysalis, they needed time to “stretch” their new wings. After a while, they could rest on my finger until they took off.”

Apropos of this, here’s Geof Darrow’s illustration of the metamorphosis!

39. Bookmonstercats says:

@Nooooo, sorry to hear about your insect aversion. I agree with the bugman, though, insects are cute, but I will concede probably not if they’re all over you like a rash. In a temperate climate like I live in, they aren’t such a problem. I once got an insect caught up in my curly hair, when I was sitting by an open window on a moving train. With typical British reserve, I tried to discreetly shake it out and, when I couldn’t, I got off at the next stop before doing the “AAARRRGGGHHHH! There’s a nasty in my hair” dance on the station platform. Insect and I survived the encounter and proceeded on our separate ways.

40. mandy_Reeves says:

well i got to sing this with barry williams himself…me and 4 others got to be honorary bradys

41. Lucy Loup-Garou says:

Sorry, can’t support the “only certain mammalian types can qualify as cute” mindset. Well, in all truthfulness, I’m not sorry. If not for the applaudable diversity (and the ignoring of requests to keep out anything that doesn’t match a few squeamish individuals’ opinion of cute), this site would likely contain nothing but fuzzy kittens, puppies (the right kind, of course) with the occasional fluffy bunny (not one of those nasty big ones, please!), and would quickly become monotonous instead of cute. We might as well be looking at an Anne Geddes gallery, and then I’d be the one with the gagging issue.
    I sincerely applaud CO for challenging viewers to expand their perceptions of cute (which, honestly, is just another aspect of beauty, isn’t it?) .
    Er, yeah, you could say the button got pushed. (breeeeeathe) It’s okay now.

42. Noooo, everyone will have differing opinions on what is cute and what isn’t. So alas, CuteOverload can’t please everyone all the time in that respect. But if you see one you don’t think is cute, just move on. I hate spiders, if I spotted a post with one in I’d give a little shudder and skip quickly over it.

43. @Lucy Loup-Garou-thankfully someone else wants to retch everytime they see Anne Geddes too!!

44. Lucy Loup-Garou says:

Heh, heh – right arm, catinapastlife!

45. Space Cowgirl says:

Hello, Ms. Texas State Butterfly!

46. Felicityanne says:

@Bookmonstercats: a fellow Brit, I was afraid of spiders etc when a child because I thought they might get squished and tangled up in my waist-length hair. One night when I was about twelve, I was aware in that paralysed moment just before total sleep that there was a daddy-long-legs clattering about my room, somewhere very near… In the morning I woke to DISMEMBERED INSECT CORPSE ON PILLOW and had to spend considerable time removing delicate skinny legs from my hair. That cured me! The worst had happened and I survived it! Now I love the insect/arachnid world (except for mosquitoes who LURRVE me)!

47. Is it just me, or does the chrysalis have a touch of the Boba Fett?

48. Queen of Dork says:

Felicityanne: What a great story! I love the way you describe overcoming your fear!

49. Alright you all win let’s post lepers and fleas and leeches and herpes wounds and decapitated people and naked photos of Jack Nicholson coz I have such a narrow perception of what constitutes to cute.

Don’t have to get so offended Lucy, if you think Geddes makes you gag you should hardly be here coz honestly, cuteoverload isn’t THAT different.

50. I’m sorry, and I’m not math genius, but I’m PRETTY sure that people with no heads =/= naked Jack Nicholson on a scale of cute to not cute.

51. Am I the only one who noticed that the cocoon has been hot glue gunned to the lid of whatever container it’s in?

Extra points for creativity!

52. http://rushlush.com/blog

Fashion short-hairstyles Beauty & Style Movies Reviews Template Birthday SMS funny sms

53. Lucy Loup-Garou says:

@ Noooo: Admittedly, Tymell handled the question with far more diplomacy than I did.
    @ Tymell: Well done, thank you. And if insipid baby pics start showing up here, I’ll quickly skip over ‘em with a shudder, as you suggest.