THIS JUST IN: Longneck Bud

The new baby boy at the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens is already a tall drink of water: A healthy 6-foot, 140-pound baby giraffe, born last Sunday to first-time mom Naomi. Story and video here.

Comments

1. Omg, giraffe. Cover UP!

::throws towel over adolescent giraffe’s cleavage::

2. Oh the shweetness!!!

3. Frontbutt

4. Alexandria says:

What a gorgeous boy!

5. Ohh look at him so wee!

and Bedroom EYES!

6. Heh – his head’s still too wee for his horns to stick up separately! I saw a German shepherd puppy recently who had this exact same problem – he had one big uni-ear.

(plus his cute wrinkly brow)

7. TheCuteness says:

Check out the beautiful black perfectly symmetrical design inside his ears. I’ve never noticed that on a giraffe before. He is very handsome. I just love giraffes!

8. @Heather

Lol I thought the same thing! XD

9. tesstricks says:

For whatever reason, I gave his mom a Mary Poppins voice when reading out loud the hover text.

10. AuntieMame says:

We’ve got a spammer…

And it looks like the baby giraffe’s shoulder blades are backwards!

11. I love the little wrinkles at the base of his neck.

12. LizzyBee says:

Look at the wee tuft of hair! Perfectly coiffed!

13. Absolutely adorable

We are so lucky to live in a world with such a variety of beautiful and amazing animals

14. Wow, it just occurred to me what odd animals giraffes are. All gangley and humungo. And gorgeous!

15. I once thought baby horses were the cutest animals on Earth, but now I’m realizing it’s definitely giraffes because there’s moooooooooooooooooooooore to love!

they always looks so pensive <3

16. Love the hover text.
    Giraffes are one of my most favouritest animals. They look so gentle and amazing. I wonder what giraffe fur feels like? It looks very soft.
    And I wonder if I’m alone in wanting to kiss that droopy, whiskery top lip thingie?

17. Hon Glad says:

Limpid eyes.

18. Alice Shortcake says:

The baby horns – hilarious!

19. 260Oakley says:

Behold the mythical Unihorn caught on camera!

20. silentk says:

Cute baby wrinkles and little-boy mussed-up hairstyle! Although I am a bit weirded out that I’m the exact same height and weight as a baby giraffe.

21. andi in NC says:

The pic one hovertext is great. Both of them are beautiful.

22. Leilani says:

I love how baby giraffes always look so disgruntled!

23. Wonders if someone coloured inside his ears with a black magic markers?

A friend of mine had that done to him when he fell asleep at the New Year’s Eve party this year, he is not used to drinking. They wrote all over his face and took pictures but they did used the washable kind. :-)

24. If they measure the height of bebeh giraffes like they do horses (at the withers, i.e. top of the shoulders), then that is a big baby anipal at 6 feet tall!

I love momma giraffe snorfing the baby’s head with those sweet leettle ‘horns’.

25. k. o'dee says:
  26. Probably the only cool thing in our city right now!

27. Lightnin’ ears! Awww.

28. BStrange says:

Moms. Always they’re messing with the hair! Sheesh.

(I grew up with a wild, stubborn cowlick that drove my mom nuts trying to neaten… I think I must have worn that same look as in the first pic while she did it.)

29. O NO he (she/it) DI-unt says:

OFFICIAL SQQQUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I JIST YESTIDDay showed this pic, [which was on the front page of a section (was movin’ too fast/ Speedy Gonzales mode, to bother noticing which section; Metro would be me first guess)]

to a wonderful woman (here at the Apts of Doom) (not quite relocated yet to the ddeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeluxe apartment ***, yet…HUD official cannot figure out what her name is, evidently –rolly eyes emoticon )…………..nifty lady named Flossie (yes, really and be nice, peeps)

and again: Sssssssssssqqqqqqqqqqquuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeeee

30. StormCat42 says:

K. O’Dee – I have to wonder, how many man hours were spent trying to solve this, oh so important delimma???

And even though I can’t see them in the pic, I know that Mom has a huge set of eyelashes! I wuvs Geeeraffes eyelashes!! (Maybe she’s born with it… Maybe it’s Maybelline..)

31. O NO he (she/it) DI-unt says:

(DELIGHTED *snerk*)

(“straighten your horns!!”…..so, NTM, tryin’ to toss out a Friday morning challenge to Her Oakleyness/ HIS? Oakleyness??) (JK of course, NTM we all grovel at your feet/ paws/ claws/whatever)

BTW — will I be causing a commentroversy if I mention the terms “Friday” and “Haiku”??

Is CO attempting to discontinue that wondrous exercise of dialogue, poetry and cuteness?

hope nothing negative from my qwershtyun. K?

Signed
    Theme song du jour/ Jacksonville Fla today (Heat index predicted at 103 F– NOT kidding)
    “HOT HOT HOT”

32. 260Oakley says:

@O NO
    That’s Ms. Oakleyness to you ;)

33. O NO he (she/it) DI-unt says:

(giggle)

Well, (are ya reddy for a PUNCHLINE???)
    (drumroll, pleez)

“Oakley-Dokely”, then

(*snerkity snerk snerk, snerk SNERK*!!!)

(and — *snerk*)
    (OF COURSE I meant that, in ….

THE BEST possible way)

(Runs away in haste, still making inappropriate noises of hilarity)

34. BStrange says:

First pic (again):

Uh oh. Mom was right!
    My face can get stuck this way.
    Horns and all! Who knew?…

There’s yer haiku, Joke-o O NO. ;) And now, I sleep. Man, I miss having scads and scads of intarweb time. *makes a baby-giraffely grumpface and goes*

35. LovesDogs says:

I lurve, lurve, lurve girafeeees!!! Those eyelashes are to die for.

36. LovesDogs says:

PS: Look at baby’s cleavage in photo #2. Oh, my.

37. Birdcage says:

I love puffy leeps. I bet it’s all velvety and soft to keess a bebeh giraffe leep. There’s nothing quite like a giraffe, is there? After seeing these pictures, I had to look up the giraffe on the interwebs and learn some more. The wikipedia (the fount of all my humanly knowledge *snerk*) says that they are kinda related to deer and cattle but most closely related to the okapi (look up a photo of that dude, peeps!). And there are a bunch of subspecies so there’s not just one kind of giraffe; there’s lots! The reticulated giraffe is the one most commonly seen in zoos. The scientific name is basically “camelleopard” – which made me giggle.

38. O NO He/she/it DI-unt!!! says:

YAY for bstrange and giraffe-Y Haiku and ALSO for

“baby-giraffe-ly grumpface”.

Whad’ye say, MISS 2600akliness?
    Howzabout we give the laurel wreath (aka organic tiara) to Bstrange today?

BONUS: it’s biodegradable AND makes a fine seasoning for “S’getti” sauce, too!!

39. Katrina says:

THERE’S ANOTHER ‘DRAFF in the world! YAYAYAY!!!!

40. Paunchie says:

Aren’t they just the most gorgeous animals ever! I just love the pattern in their fur, and the looooong graceful neck. Sigh.

41. Paunchie says:

And they gots like a long mohawk in the back! hee.

42. CatViccer says:

@occula – with lightening bolts like that, maybe they’ll name him THOR!

43. Most adorabuhlicious. Mommy is beautiful.

44. Mary (the first) says:

What a big sweetie! @thecuteness, I also never noticed the inner-ear fur pattern of black wings! I’ve been almost close enough to giraffe face to smooch, they are very sweet, aren’t they?

Tall, sweet and handsome,
    Is the new baby giraffe.
    My Friday haiku!

45. MamaLana says:

Such adorable cuteness.

46. Queen of Dork says:

He’s so pretty! But I swear, baby giraffes always have that look on their face that reminds me of Kermit the Frog when he does this:

47. @mousey: I’ve actually gotten to pet a giraffe. At the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado, they let you feed and pet the giraffes. They feel sorta suede-y, but unlike anything else I’ve ever touched. Not quite soft, but very cool. They also like scritches along their manes. :D

48. I also love the top-nostrils in the second picture, like he could be fully submerged, swimming, with only mini-schnerts and schnorts betraying his presence.

49. I love how the horns lean together to make one pouf of hair, almost like a bad toupee! I also love those gigantic, dark eyes. Oh, hot flash-back to Raoul Julia as Gomez Addams. (SIGH) Big, bedroom eyes…..

50. BStrange says:

No-no, wreath the leetle giraffe! It’ll help prop up his horns until they stand up on their own. :grin:

51. BStrange says:

..Just finally got the Kermit picture to load. So now both QoD’s Kermit comparison, and occula’s schnerts and schnorts, have ded’ed me. Again.

52. @Fern, I date myself, but I go back to Raul as Benedick, Petruchio and Macheath in New York. He was sex on a stick!!

53. Razorburn says:

That is a gorgeous giraffe-print buttocks strapped to his chest in Pic 2. I’m inspired to paint mine for Halloween.

54. Ohhh my absolute favourite!! They’re so beautiful!