I’ll Stick My Neck Out For You

What’s the deal between giraffes and ostriches? Must be the necks, because this isn’t the first time we’ve seen unlikely friends like these.  In this case, it’s Bea (left) and Wilma, best gal-pals at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay.

I predict a loooooooong friendship, Lauren S.

Comments

1. Please, no tongue, this is a family website ;)

2. melvinator says:

Today on CO: the birds and the Beas

3. Shhhh-luur-rrppp!

Great photos, and I love the story!

4. Aw . . . . so sweet :)
    We would still like some guinea pigs though :)

5. LovesDogs says:

I’ll stick my neck out on this one and say they’re good buddies.

6. tracylee says:

guh! how cute are they! frickin’ cute, if you ask me. I want to go to the movies with them! and wear hats! and go scarf-shopping!

7. Noelle (the First) says:

The music in the video was perfect!

8. girlfriend power!
    giraffe toungues are pretty amazing…

9. OMG, an ostich named wilma!!!!
    aaahhahahahahahahhahhahahahaha!

10. So sweet! I loved the second picture, and video’s music was awesome :P

Can anyone explain the licking? Why is Bea licking Wilma? Friendly preening type behavior or what?

11. OMG ! The look of bliss on Bea’s face at 1:04 & 1:13 killed me DED!
    Watching the pix I half expected to see Bea whip her head around & try to snatch that big ol’ “worm” in her face.

12. perhaps bea has poor eyesight and thinks wilma is a baby giraffe?

13. I don’t know, I think Bea is thinkin’ Wilma tastes like chicken….I’m just sayin’…..

14. Lucy Loup-Garou says:

Oh gods, the affectionate leeeeeeckeeeeng! The cuteness on the faaaacez! I…die….

(don’t forget to tag as “I shall leeeck you” – my favorite!)

15. That’s so cute!

16. This is not an “I shall leeck you”? Come on!

Very Disney-esque!

(QoD, this is for you!)

17. Two girls necking? Hawt!

18. Carolyn says:

If Wilma wants to be an even better friend she’d devour that poisonous black snake-y looking thing and save her friend Bea.

19. Cholmondeley says:

OMG that tongue is… prehensile!

20. Cholmondeley says:

Ha ha ha, “prehensile” made the moderating program nervous. Is it code? An anagram?

21. Hey, you two! Get a room!

22. Giraffes = blue tongues = so weird!!!!

23. Bea is just checking to see if Wilma’s on schedule to be plump and delicious in time for Thanksgiving… joke’s on us.

24. Lesbians..cute.

25. MoonCatty says:

This is so sweet and a friendship that just wouldn’t have a chance in the wild. While these two were affectionately necking, a pride of lions would be spying from the tall grass ready to make their move. Oh no!!!

The link provided to the earlier story looks like another shot of Bea and Wilma! Such an evocative image of them lying down on the grass enjoying a lovely lake view. Two souls sharing the joy of life.

26. such gorgeous photos! I would blow them up and frame them for my wall if I could :D

27. Rooanne says:

Awwwww. Nature never ceases to amaze.

28. Mod-in-Training says:

We don’t cotton much to big city words ’round these parts. folks around here say keep ‘em short, keep ‘em cute and no one gets hurt. Nothin’ but heartache down the polysyllabic way,

29. Cholmondeley says:

Golly gosh, Mod-in-T, PRE-HEN-SILE has exactly as many syllables as O-VER-LOAD. It ain’t ezackly sesquipedalian! ;-)

30. @Theresa: I loved that video… though knowing only MALE ostriches are black and white gives it a WHOLE other meaning ;)

31. Lucy's Mommeh says:

Dis bird..it has a flavor….

32. Not saying this is the case here but random licking of stuff in giraffes is considered to be “stereotyped” behavior associated with captivity. The giraffes at the San Diego zoo like to lick their enclosure gates. Over and over and over.

33. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that I think these two ladies are more than “just friends”. Not that I know anything about that. I mean, once, in college, but tha—nevermind.

34. ithinkiatetoomuch says:

Tastes like chicken.

35. O NO (he/she/or it) DI'UNT!!!!! says:

Theresa — great link for Q. I’m comin’ to tonight’s party very very late.

And I just got Q’s personal email which told me she hasn’t had a relaxed, enjoyable Monday day or evening and I strongly doubt that she had a chance to visit CO tonight so I’ll send her a personal email to direct her both to the Ostrich and the Giraffe post….and specifically to your considerate Ostrich Ballet Cartoon.

Peace to all.

36. Rofl…Very CUTE!! xD

37. jenjen, my thought too. captivity will make for abnormal behavior.

38. I dunno…not sure friendship is all Bea has on her mind. She may be looking for “fun, friendship, and ?” in the Bi-Curious section of the personal ads…

39. Mod-in-Training says:

[A little "Necks and The City"?

--M.i.T.]

40. Hon Glad says:

I expect they’re working on a ballet together.

41. tomato.bandit.queen says:

….. Bea? As in the late and great Bea Arthur?

42. O NO (he/she/or it) DI'UNT!!!!! says:

tomato.bandit.queen: imho, my first thought was to a post on CO from a few months ago….it might have actually been titled “Where’s Bea?”

43. Awww, I wish there was a video of them moving and pan back to show the different sizes, but still cute. I love giraffes! They’re tall like me!

44. Mmmmm…tastes like chicken.

45. awwwwww!!!!!! Interspecies luvin gets me every time!

46. What, they couldn’t take a video?

47. Redbone says:

First thing I thought is that it looks like Bea wants a little more from this relationship than Wilma’s prepared to give. I’m sure it isn’t really like that, but after seeing those pictures, it’s hard to escape the feeling that Bea probably listens to a lot of Indigo Girls and has a rainbow ornament hanging from a tree in her garden. Wilma just thought Bea was sort of “earthy,” but it’s just a matter of time before she connects the dots.

48. Man! that’s a lot of tongue action!

49. It’s a texture thing.

50. LisaMarie says:

Mebbe Wilma just tastes good.