THIS JUST IN: White Otters!

Keepers at UK’s Blue Planet Aquarium recently saw something beyond the pale: Two baby otters born with white fur. But they’re not albinos; they have a rare condition that causes fur to grow without its normal pigment.

Full story at the Telegraph. And the aquarium is inviting people to name the cuties. Judging from the picture above, we’d say “Yin” and “Yang” will top the list.

Update: Corrected spelling of “Yin.” Thanks to all who caught my error.
Update II: Electric Boogaloo: Corrected error in link. Thanks, marthava et. al.

Comments

1. Otterz, Otterz, Otterz, Otterz, Otterz, Otterz, Otterz, Otterz, Otterz, Otterz, Otterz

Okay how about Fred and Wilma

2. So cute!

3. AuntieMame says:

Klondike and Snow! Wait…

4. It’s a Ring of Bright Otters!

5. I love how the little guy in the first picture is all, “Who are you people? Please stop pointing that funny machine at me!”

6. So instead of a black swan event, we now have a white otter event! So much cuter :)

7. harmlesslittleflea (Clare) says:

Quoth the server, “404″. Try sticking an L on the end of that .htm to make it work :)

I bet leucistic otters taste extra creamy.

Speaking of rare animal births, holy live Amur leopard cub cam, Batman! http://www.interactivezoo.eu/index.php?id=14

8. Nanette says:

Or maybe “Yin” and “Yang”…*runs and hides*

9. They are beyond cute – I luv otters!!

How about – Cream and Sugar

10. 260Oakley says:

Otters heading to the water, ’cause it’s a nice day for a white wetting.

11. 260Oakley, I’m in awe. That’s just amazing wordplay.

And I WANT the otterz NOW. Please?

12. flutterbye says:

260Oakley, genius! Does this stuff just pop into your head as soon as you see the picture?

13. @260Oakley, we owe you AWE. 8O

14. cambridge_rat_mom says:

Leucism happens in nature all the time.

15. Queen of Dork says:

So Sweet! I love the look on the face of the little brown one in the second picture next to the white one in the front. He or she reminds me of someone.

16. @260Oakley, you are quickly becoming my hero. :)

17. chanpon says:

Oh, they must be slightly less evil and maybe a 1/16th cuter than their darker brothers.

18. @sherb – Agreed, and jealous you thought of it first!!

19. Hey, we have several leucistic alligators here in New Orleans:

20. Will the leucism make them more or less evil than otters of normal pigmentation? Time will tell…

By the way, thanks for the new vocabulary, Cambridge Rat Mom and Nora! I hope to use leucistic, leucism, or leukism in a game of Scrabble some time soon.

21. I’m with Nanette – I really hope they get named YIN and Yang, and not mistakenly as YING, since that’s totally incorrect.

But they’d have to be different sexes. :)

22. Otters are cute, but let’s not fool ourselves here

23. Why do otters look like kitties to me? WANT!!

24. Love their perfect little otter pouts. I’d say otters give rabbits a run for their money when it comes to disapproving looks.

25. Daphne Moss says:

Oakley…you are reason I have faith that real writers will not go away….look how much we loved that! ;-D

AND ooooh da BAY-bees!!! I want to snorgle them, but their mamma might have sumpin to say about that…

26. I guess Y I Otter and U Otter B N Pictrz would be too long?

27. julzski77 says:

must have otter pops

28. Snowpea says:

OMG Clare, I just spent 10 minutes watching the Amur leopard den camera, seeing the cubs snuggle and then play with their mama. WOW!

29. Oh, they are so darling!! Little vanilla otters! So adorable.

30. Nanette says:

LOL @ Kar!!

31. katherine says:

isn’t it called achromotrichia? lack of copper and all that…

32. I can almost hear the otter pup talking in the voice of fievel from An American Tail

33. Queen of Dork s/he looks really kind of irritated – “stupid white otters getting all the attention. Not fair. I’m just as cute as them…”

34. Hon Glad says:

The otterbury incident,

35. Cuff and Links (Thanks Rocky Balboa)

36. Lucy's Mommeh says:

Okay, who else sent in the link to the white otters besides me? Anyone?

Anyhoos…glad to see the little ones right HERE where they belong!

37. Rachael says:

260Oakley for the win!!! Wow, she even topped herself with that one (#10). *wild applause*

If there’s a cuter animule than an otter, I’ve yet to see it. Seriously, insanely adorabuhls.

38. Sooo adorable! I was so inspired by the top image I created a unique pyrography (wood burning) artwork in its honour..! :) Hope it’s okay to link to it!

39. the koala says:

Snow Cone and 2%

: P

40. tracylee says:

helloooo, why has nobody “BEEEEEP”ed these nosies yet?! Gah, do I have to do everything around here?

BEEEEEP!
    BEEEEEP!

one more for good measure:
    beep.

Thank you, that is all.

41. These guys are ridiculously cute!!

42. marthava says:

@NTMTOM – Telegraph link doesn’t work. In the meantime: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/7710032/White-otters-born-at-aquarium.html

43. Soooo, adorable! Otters Rock! I’m going for “Snow” & Storm”!

44. I just want to pick them up, snuggle them, and beep their little nosies! They’re otter-ly adorable!

45. Emmberrann says:

Oooo,Oootterzes! What whuffly muzzlepoushes an’ whiskerzes! I just love that there are two of them; that means there’s one for each of my pockets. *Grabs white otterbebehs and demonstrates, then runs and hides.*

46. I would love to know what 260oakley does for a living that lets her sit around refreshing CO all day, every day…. that is some dedication.

Anyway, what delightful babby otters! They look so soft. Pat pat pat.

47. Katrina says:

Oh, merciful heavens, the grunt! Grunting is tantamount to asking m to the prom.
    Love the noises! Sweet little babies and wonderfully curious juveniles! The otter people have the patience of saints!
    “Are you hiding from me?” I can just see them turn to each other and giggle-grunt! But the best part was the bedspread luurkensproingennen- HI-YA!!

48. Pavlov's Pig says:

NTMTOM – I thought my husband and I were the only ones that put Electric Boogaloo on the end of everything “II”… now if you had said “Update II: Electric Boogaloo (with Turbo)” I would have been really impressed.

49. Fleurdamour says:

In the naming contest, I suggested Harry Otter!

50. FinnMacCool says:

First: I agree all things that end with “2″ or “too,” should have Electric Boogaloo behind it!!!!

Second, JoshN, don’t be a species-ist!!! An Otters gotta do what an Otters gotta do…..it’s just WISE people would prefer what they due to be outside, not in their house……After all they are ferret-cousins (aka, the tube-socks of evil!) :-D

51. Kilgore Grout says:

These “Name the adorable baby animal” vote-ins come along every couple of months or so. How about everyone get together and return some of this Awesome? I say:
    Let’s name some cute animal Meg.

52. i agree with one of the folks who noticed that the otter in the first pic looks mildly disapproving.

53. Oh my gosh. I love that they have another sibling with regular colours!

54. Fingal
    From Scottish Gaelic Fionnghall meaning “white stranger”, derived from fionn “white, fair” and gall “stranger”. This was the name of the hero in James Macpherson’s epic poem ‘Fingal’ (1762), which he claimed to have based on early Gaelic legends about Fionn mac Cumhail.
    -behindthename.com

55. Cecelia says:

I’m usually just a lurker, and I am generally a reserved and non-squeeing individual even in the face of extreme cuteness, but when I saw these little silvery floofs I actually let out a great, whooping, “EEEEEE HEE HEE!” complete with hands-flapping. I can’t take it.

56. Arctic and Antarctica

In Exeter, Ontario Canada we have a breed of white squirrels. Quite the sight to see.

57. Otters are so racist.

58. Have you ever noticed that baby otters have the cutest faces and at the same time look like they could kick some serious a$$?

59. Melissa says:

How cute are they?? Awww! I love when rare stuff like this happens in captivity so we can actually see them and watch em grow up!

That poor little normal looking 3rd otter cub though. “No one pays attention to me!”

60. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How unbelievably cute!! I just want to eat him up not literally but you know what i mean!! And if you don’t…LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU COULD WORK AT McDONALD’S

61. One of those is the gopher from Caddy Shack!

62. I’d suggest “Seregil” for the male.