Stays Possum-y — Even in Milk!

Cuteologists, we are presented today with a rarely-seen corollary to Rule of Cuteness #8 (If your furniture doubles as a meal, you’re cute), which states: If your bath doubles as a meal, you’re cute. And you can finish that all by yourself. No, really, I don’t seem to have an appetite for some reason, so you go ahead.

Photo credit: AnimalAdvocates. Submitted by Dave K.

Comments

1. Aw, possums aren’t unusuals! Cuteness!

2. Miss Girl says:

GRABBBBBLE!

3. Stunbunny says:

Oh the Crunch enhancer? Yeah it’s a non-nutritive critter varnish. It’s semi-permiable. It’s not osmotic. What it does is it coats and seals the possum, prevents the milk from penetrating it.

4. OMG!!!!!!!!!! (splodes from tiny attitudinousness of it)

5. Now, more than ever, it becomes necessary to quote Bender word-for-word:
    “You’re cute– so I baked you a pony.”

6. someones gonna need a bath.

7. It is called Cleopatra, by any chance?

8. RicaLynn says:

OMG it looks just like my Pogo!!! We hand-raised him after our dog killed his mama, he was the best!!

9. Martha in Washington says:

*runs to check cereal boxes*

Aww man! No baby oppossums in mine!

*slinks off to pout*

10. Martha in Washington says:

@anne–I think he’s already taking one.

11. bookmonstercats says:

When I was a little girl, my dog had a litter of seven pups. One of them used this very simple technique to hog the food they were supposed to share after they were weaned – he just lay across the bowl and ate around himself.

Who knew possums had tailios like a rattie? Not me for one.

12. @bookmonstercats: I used to do that too. In fact I still do that sometimes for something particularly delicious. Not proud. Just an effective food management technique.

13. opossum says:

!!!

14. saintstryfe says:

Damn it, why is the movie never playing when I want to see it? I really wanted to see Starsky and Hut…

::distracted by Opossum::

15. eikoleigh says:

OMG! LOL

16. MoonCatty says:

L.A. opossum enjoys a bowl of meelks while checking out the movie section.

Stadium seating a must…

17. Nicole says:

Mama Possum said: “Now how many times do I have to tell you not to play with your food, even less take a bath in it !!!” lol

He’s very cute…

18. Katrina says:

SCUBApossum? I wonder if he dives? Does he use a mask? Does he mind milk in his ears? One wonders…

19. 260Oakley says:

Snap, Crackle, Possum
    Naturally sweet, no high fructose corn syrup needed

P.S. Eco-conscious possum uses recyclable paper plate.

20. bookmonstercats says:

@Dash, you are my kind of person!!

21. Trez4400 says:

While oppossums are not exactly cute, this little babe is tilting the cute meter. I am actually quite afraid of them, they have HUGE teeth!

22. You know, I wondered why my coffee tasted funny….

23. Rachael says:

Has nobody else noticed the extreme haunch splayage going on???

This leetle guy can hog my bowl of meelks any time as long as I get an after dinner snorkle.

24. Jason A. says:

I’m sorry I hate possums. We have them all over the place where I live and they are nasty and mean.

25. Katiedid says:

That kitten impression is dead on!

26. I LOVE opossums, especially bebeh ‘possums. I had the honor of helping to rehab and release a number of these cuties last year, and they are totally squeeworthy. Trez4400, they may have big teeth (and they’ve got the most teeth of any mammal) but they don’t rush to use them. Not that they won’t bite to defend themselves, but they’re more likely to just try to waddle out of your way (or play dead). Like all wild critters, if you don’t bother them, they won’t bother you.

27. tracylee says:

yes, I do believe it has reached sub-zero temps in the underworld… I never thought I’d find a possum this adorable.

28. @ tracylee, baby opossums are surprisingly qte! Try a google image search and watch the underworld dwellers reach for their ice-skates.

29. hey where are the sliced bananas???

cute lil possum

30. @Jason A. – possums are your friends. They eat pit vipers. After our new neighbor moved in and started shooting all the possums and groundhogs, one of our dogs was bitten by a copperhead. I want my possums back!

PS – doggie was OK. Emergency vet treated him with steroids and Benadryl Who knew Benadryl was a wonder drug? (would not have worked for rattlesnake bite though)

31. Fortified with 8 essential Vitamins

Vitamin Adorable
    Vitamin beedy eye factor
    Vitamin Beautiful12
    Vitamin Cute
    Vitamin Debonair
    Vitamin Extremely Clingy
    Vitamin Fabulous
    Vitamin Oh so possumy!

32. Oh look, even as babies, even in a bowl of meeelk, possums AREN’T CUTE!

FAIL.

never never never!

33. Katrina says:

Besides eating pit vipers, they are mean and nasty for a reason-if you were where they are on the food chain, you, my fellow Peep, would be mean and nasty, too. Do you mind milk in your ears? Just askin’…..
    Haunch splayage indeed! Full of win and milk!

34. RoseyPosey says:

Adult possums are nasty, but the babies are awfully cute. Got them wandering all over the neighborhood here in Chicago.

Weird thing, when I lived in the suburbs, never saw anything other than squirrels. Now that I live in the city, I always see possums, raccoons, foxes, skunks, feral cats, and lots of critters that are cute (from a safe distance). This is in addition to the usual squirrels. I even like seeing the rats and bats (eat those mosquitos, EAT THEM UP!). I guess there’s more food here, but it seems weird that there’s way more wildlife here in Chicago than in suburban New Jersey.

35. BabyOpossum says:

Ugh, these paparazzi are re. lent. less. It’s to the point I can’t even run to the Starbucks for a short milk replacer and check out the movie pages. What is so exciting about that, people?? Nothing, that’s what! And yet, still they hound me. I knew I should have worn my jaded-hipster-working-on-screenplay costume, complete with ironic tee and tiny MacBook. I got cocky.

But what the hell, if they want a show, then a show they’ll get! (launches self into dish of formula)

36. Alikat says:

dont forget the rule that says something like “if your head is disproportionately larger than the rest of you, it’s cute”

37. Colonel Jenna says:

OMG, that is the teeniest possum I have ever seen anywhere! Grown possums give me the whillies but I adore the little ones — from a distance.

38. skippymom says:

Oh, I would find it so much easier to get up in the morning if I could look forward to a breakfast this adorable. Sigh.

39. Mabimab says:

Don’t forget to check out the Animal Advocate website and donate some money – looks like they could use the help! Too many orphaned babies, :(

40. fly'n bye says:

Yoiks!

41. Joools says:

Brilliant caption, NTMTOM – can’t you just hear it in Anthony Bourdain’s voice?!?

42. Hon Glad says:

When my brother Iain (Scots spelling) was a we bairn, he had very fine blond hair.
    His favourite trick, was to tip his pudding over his head. My Mum said trying to get the fine seeds of stewed Goosberries out of his hair was murder.

Theresa – re. the caroling possums. A Gay guy at my sculpture evening classes, told me there was a Christmas card showing some drag queens, with the line
    “Don we now our gay apparell”
    My other favourite was Botticelli’s Birth of Venus, with the caption
    “Get your clothes on dearie, it’s a raid.”

43. @Hon Glad – Stewed gooseberries … ugh! I don’t blame your brother …

44. kibblenibble says:

Meelk mustache!

45. @Hon Glad, reminds me of a postcard I once sent a friend. It had Victor Mature, wearing a little leopard skin and a pensive look, with a thought balloon that read :”I wish I was deep instead of just macho.”

46. thanks someones gonna need a bath.

47. OMG, a possum learning to eat without a bottle — soooo wormy & cute!!!!

48. Make sure he’s taught to look both ways before crossing the street.