Capy-pedo away!

Check out these miniscule Capybara twins, born in the Akron Zoo last month. Capybaras look like giant Guinea Peegs, have slightly webbed feets and love to swim.

Capy-pedo AWAY!

Leslie L. shot this submission over our bow. Many more photos over at ZooBorns.

Comments

1. kibblenibble says:

Look at heem/her sweeming! Who knew they liked to sweem? Not me! :-)

2. I am a horrible person because I got seriously confused when this showed up on my Twitter stream. I am pleased it’s in fact a torpedo :) Though part of me feels like the bebe is too leeetle to be underwaters like this!

3. sweem capybara, sweem!

4. Queen of Dork says:

I just got an urge to take a bath.

5. Everybody check out ZooBorns.com for the BEBEH LION TRIPLETS at the Bronx Zoo!

6. i love the other one….all “ahhh…” basking in the sun

or perhaps peeing in the pool

7. It is amazing that ginormous semi-aquatic rodents can be adorable, but there they are.

8. I know it’s the natural facial expression of capybaras to look stoic, but I think it’s particularly appropriate for the capy mom to look that way as two young’uns splash around her.

9. Went to the Akron Zoo last summer, the adult cappies will get close enough to the little fence that you can pet them. Of course I forgot the camera. But not so sure of how close they will get now with those itty bitty ones running around. I think we need another trip there SOON!!

10. tesstricks says:

It’s definitely that time of year! Baby animals everywhere I look. :D

11. trinlayk says:

I know CaplinROUS over on twitter…

SO I did know that Capybara like to swim and have WEBBED FEET! (awww)
    but I did not realize the amazing cuteness of swimming Capy babies.

12. Beautiful little creatures!!!

13. edmundh says:

I just looked up Capybaras on Wikipedia, and found this video of a Capy yawning:

[video src="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Capybara_Ueno_Zoo_2009.ogv" /]

14. frogboots says:

i feel like capybaras have the Disapproval Face (much like that of bunnies). I think they – the capybaras – should be made second-in-command of the Disapproval Brigade. Bunnies and capybaras, disapproving of everything since the dawn of time.

15. Did anyone read the article on ZooBorns? They said Capys are HUNTED! Why would anyone hunt a Capy?

16. They’re like gigantic guinea pigs – who swim! I love Capys.

17. can i play in the pool with them?

18. @Mel: Don’t worry, you weren’t the only one who took a serious double-take on the text. I actually had to come here to the comments to get the right meaning.

19. Hon Glad says:

As I scrolled up, I saw the pictures first, then the caption. So I thought it said cappy
    speedo. Then the picture hove into view, “oh they aren’t wearing Speedos”
    the infamous budgie smugglers.

20. Sheena says:

YAY! I live 15 minutes away from the zoo! Akron FTW!

21. I was never a math wiz, can anyone calculate the nose to ears ratio on these critters?

22. Super Bunny says:

They are so much cuter underwater!

23. I want one!

24. baby anipal pictures and vids?!?!!! how did i not find out about zooborns.com until now!!!?!?!

this is gonna be a super cute sunday :D

25. chanpon says:

Capybara disapproves of your looking for toe floof on him.

26. We got to feed some of these at the Buenos Aires Zoo. Check it out: http://thejetpacker.com/buenos-aires-day-3/

27. Marco!

28. Katrina says:

Sweeeet!

29. Looks like Mama is playing lifeguard;
    all they need is a liddol teeney-tineey sliding board….. :lol:

30. Queen of Dork says:

You guys, I really miss Theo. :(
    *wanders confusededly to the Snickering Lounge for some reason*

31. Ohhhhh! Needed zoomage on leetle paddlin’ bebeh on left. Earz, hed and footz anerableness!

32. Andi from NC says:

Zooborns.com rocks (not as hard as CO rocks, of course, but it’s part of my morning click party while I drinking my coffee)

33. Hon Glad says:

Queenie – I too feel something is missing. Look at the number of postings
    way down.
    Picking up on each others comments.
    Hardly any.
    Wit of the comments.
    So so.
    Hopefully it’s a temporary blip, maybe some states are having good weather or peeps are busy?
    In the UK it’s a long weekend; Monday is Mayday (brought in by the goddam pinko leftie) ahem the Labour party. So ,as is typical in the UK; yesterday was lovely and warm, but I was in London Shopping. We went for a meal at a Gastro pub in the countryside that over looks a lake. By that time it was cold and raining. Today is cold windy dull, I was going to work on my Allotment (veg patch) it was too cold and wet . Tomorrow is forecast as warm, we can only but hope.
    Queenie – Is it warm in the Whimpering lounge?

34. Queen of Dork says:

Hi Hon Glad! It’s nice here today. It’s supposed to be in the ’70s. Last week was extremely windy. And I do mean EXTREMELY! My next-door neighbor had (sadness here) this huge old tree but the wind knocked much of it over. Some of it is currently in my back yard. The rental company is supposed to come and take that away. But the really sad part, to me at least, is that they chopped the whole entire tree down. :( Parts of it (much of it) was destroyed by the wind but some of it was still standing. So I thought they would just kind of trim the branches that overhung the house. But they just chopped the whole thing down. This is quite sad to me as it was such a great, old tree and I will miss the sound of the leaves rustling in the breeze. Oh well.

35. fly'n bye says:

Losing a big, old tree is like losing a friend. I cried a lot when I had to have a tree cut down. It shaded my house, as well as my neighbor’s and in the desert, it’s downright tragic!

36. You forgot to mention the MOST important thing there is to know about capybaras……they have the absolute most adorable cutest babies IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!!!!!

37. Thanks for the attention Meg. We offer capys in abundance here – http://www.zooborns.com/zooborns/capybara/

38. Rodents of unusual size? I don’t think they exist.

39. Kelsey says:

So I’m not the only one who assumed Capy-pedo was a portmanteau of capybara and pedophile, right? Right?

40. MY FAVORITE ANIMALS EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

41. Fish inna wadda.

42. Hon Glad says:

Kelsey – Me to.. as well as Cappy’s wearing Speedos.

43. want…no…NEED A CAPY.

44. Paunchie says:

I wanna sweem! Cute little critters.

It’s freakin’ hot here, Hon Glad (mid-Atlantic region), and it’s only the start of May. I’d enjoy a chilly, rainy day…. looks like it will be a looong summer.

45. en otros paises se le llama carpincho