Follow Your Nose: It’s Tapir Day!

As every good cuteologist knows, today is World Tapir Day, set aside to honor our pudgey-stripey not-quite-pig-not-quite-elephant-what-the-heck-is-it friends.

Photo credit: Brian Gratwicke

Advertisements

Comments

1. haha I thought he was Matt Damon there for a sec

2. Cute guy skritching cute tapir? Why can’t this be an option from eHarmony!?

3. 260Oakley says:

Glad to see that enthusiasm for these creatures isn’t tapiring off.

4. I want to grab hold of the end of the tapir’s schnozzle and squeeze it.

5. World Tapir Day– MOSHE better than National Moldy Cheese Day!

6. *skritchskritchskritch*

I totally dig that schnozz

7. How did Young Matt Damon figure out time travel?

8. leaves of cat grass says:

Any animal that appreciates a scratch under the chin is my kind of animal. I’ve revised my dream to have a capybara AND tapir ranch.

9. Awww! Tapir’s are nice! I went to Belize to the Belize City Zoo and pet one. They are very nice and have a very neat snout-like nose! This one is very cute and spotted like a fawn!

10. I see I’m not the only one wondering about Matt Damon scritching a tapir. 😉 A new story for the gossip blogs!

11. Hey, Matt Damon, don’t steal all the skritches for yourself. Save some for me!

12. If an elefunk and a peeg and a hippo dressed in camo love each other very, very much . . .

13. I also thought it was Matt Damon, although if you look closely, he doesn’t really look anything like Matt Damon. Sort of like how my sister and I have individual features that are very different, but somehow the overall effect makes us look alike even to strangers.
    That said, this tapir is very cute and does seem to be enjoying the skritchies, time travel Matt Damon or no!

14. Yes, he looks EXACTLY like Matt Damon!

15. Today’s Tapir Tidbit: “The odd-toed ungulates are browsing and grazing mammals such as horses, tapirs and rhinoceroses whose hooves each feature an odd number of toes. The middle toe on each hoof is also usually larger than its neighbors. Together, odd-toed ungulates form the order Perissodactyla (perissos abundant/excessive + daktulos toes).”

Sounds like something from the Shakespeare Insult Kit: “You….You Odd-Toed Ungulate, You!!!”

16. @oakley: aww, i was gonna say that they’re called that because their noses are tapired.

17. LOL marthava for Shakespeare Insult but to my old ears it sounded like something Carnac the magnificent would of said http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Carnac.jpg

18. I agree – he looks just like Matt Damon!! (The cute guy – not the cute Tapir).
    BTW – how do you get a job as a Tapir chin skritcher?
    (National Moldy Cheese Day – wasn’t that something in a Monty Pyton episode ?)

19. ak! i just gave away my name.

“don’t use our names, little brother!”
    “you mean not even our CODE NAMES, gayle?”
    “oh…our code names….right….that’s right, folks–we’s usin’ CODE NAMES. all right all you hayseeds–on the floor!”

20. Did a double take..thought it was Matt Damon as well…cute guy…tapir, what tapir…

21. Mew mew mew I has a cute says:

*gasp* I ALMOST FORGOT! I MUST RUN TO THE STORE IMMEDIATLEY AND BUY A CARD FOR MY TAPIR-IN-LAW! ykwim

22. “I’m sniffing Matt Damon.”

23. @JC: same here!

24. Marianne says:

Yey for Tapir Day!
    I’m Trundling for Tapirs this week. I’ve pledged to walk 42km in addition to ordinary workouts etc 🙂
    Also, please give a little something for the Tapirs at http://www.justgiving.com/worldtapirday!

25. Lookit the little curved SNOUT! Proshly proud, and slightly put out.

26. god, i’m going green with envy here. what would i do to be the one scratching this cutie’s chin!!!!

27. After he’s done scratching the tapir, I get to snorgle it! He looks like the perfect cuddle buddie (tapir, not guy)!

28. Angela W says:

Is there a website out there that tells you such important things as when World Tapir Day is? (other than their own websites of course). I’m thinking i need a list of some sort that would tell me when to celebrate national red panda day, or international hamster day, etc.

29. TAPIR was in the NY Times Crossword today!

30. marthava says:

@Gigi – You’re exactly right!!! From one old ear to another. And I do use the adjective “old” subjectively here…

31. Awwwww, I think it’s a baby tapir! Babies are stripped and spotted but that goes away as they mature- and it looks like adult tapirs can weigh 550-700 lbs., which definitely makes this little guy a baby tapir!

32. marthava says:
  33. Paunchie says:

I’m sniffing Matt Damon! LOL! I was thinking something similar. . .

34. Tapirs are totally cute. I petted one at a zoo once, he was the sweetest creature ever! Matt Damon look-a-like is a lucky guy!

35. Kar FTW!

I also thought it was Cambridge homie Matt Damon.

36. Mr Striped Von Speckle pants… Causing World WIde Squeeing! and global cute domination.

37. Yes, I too thought this was a Matt Damon dopplegänger. (Btw, I can’t say “Matt Damon” without thinking of the “MAAATT DAMONN” from Team America. Anyone else? :/)

Tapir is looking especially peaceful in 2nd pic! So cute.

38. WHO KNEW there was a World Tapir Day? I’m heartily in favor.

39. cute!

40. Tapirs are freakishly adorable! We saw one when we visited the Buenos Aires Zoo and immediately googled “how to domesticate a tapir.” Not possible, apparently.

41. Fleurdamour says:

“Holy proboscis, Batman! What is that creature?” “Well, Robin, my Bat senses tell me that it is in fact a watermelon with a snout.”

Nose-HANCE!

42. Queen of Dork says:

Wow. I am the ultimate dork. It took me until comment #18 to figure out why everyone kept saying the tapir looked like Matt Damon. I seriously was so busy admiring the cute tapir with the adorably propped up front paw that I didn’t really notice the kid much. I thought it was some inside joke maybe about some Matt Damen movie I’ve never seen. Then I read comment #18, scrolled back up and looked at the guy and was all, “Ohhhhhhhhhhh!” Sheesh.

43. fly'n bye says:

Luff the flexible noscicle! Wonder what it does when it’s beeped?

44. Queen of Dork says:

fly’n bye: I’ll bet it makes a kind of sound like a clarinet! 🙂

45. QoD, the tapir looks EXACTLY like Matt Damon. Doesn’t he?

46. Queen of Dork says:

Theresa: Except furrier and much more adorable! (And his nose is much more handsome).

47. Or did I think that Matt Damon looks like a tapir???

48. Or does Matt Damon wish he looks like a tapir??? 🙄

49. Queen of Dork says:

I kind of wish I could look like a tapir. Just for one day. And go to work like that.

50. May I be the first to wish you a happy tapir day?

51. Scarleybelle says:

@Saffron–hey, Cambridge homie! Cool!

Love little tapir guy with his flexibobble snooter. And the M.D. lookalike ain’t bad, either.

52. I think all his features DO look exactly like Damon, except only the nose. Same forehead, same eyes, same set, IDENTICAL mouth & smile (including the downward-at-the-ends shape and amount of upper-teeth showing).

Queen of Dork said: It took me until comment #18 to figure out why everyone kept saying the tapir looked like Matt Damon.
    This made me laugh so hard I probably woke the neighbors. Love it.

53. I’ve got a measuring tapir, but it doesn’t look like this…….puzzled frown

54. LovesDogs says:

A little to the left, please…….

55. matt damon?!

56. I wonder wut would happen if I booped his nosicle……!!!
    (Urmmm; mebbee I’ll just pet him instead….. 😯

57. Yeah, I thought it was matt damon too…. but who is the dude scratching matt’s chin????

58. @ fly’n bye: GMTA: Sorreee!!!!
    (I thought it sounded familiar, noesicle beeping, that is….) 😳

59. domanato says:

@JC: lmao…yea he looks a bit like Matt Damon, or maybe a bit like Robert de Niro as well.

60. mandy_Reeves says:

He’s snorfin’ Matt Damon…on the floor on the car up against the mini bar…

61. Elisa Wolfe says:

Would somebody please tell ELLEN about this critter. She had Portia on her
    show trying to describe an animal she saw in their yard. She had never seen
    anything like it and was struggling to describe it! Seriously, this is true!

62. Elisa Wolfe, I thought the EXACT same thing. In fact, when I watched Ellen yesterday I thought immediately, “sounds like Portias’ describing a tapir.” I’m surprised no one brought this up on yesterday’s show. I thought everyone knows what a tapir is.

63. mousewife says:

OMG! So stinkin’ cute! I want one.

(and the tapir is pretty nice, too)

64. Cute tapir. Love that prosh front paw up.