Maru Potter and the Box of Mystery

Before any student may graduate from Boxwarts School, he must first successfully enter the Conjurer’s Container, a diabolical contraption whose enchanted flaps refuse to open, as if held in place by an unseen force. Will Maru succeed? Let’s see!

Comments

1. Maru= most box-lovingist-cat-ever!

Love Maru!

2. Ah Maru, I love you but am glad you live in Japan and I can ogle you from afar. You’d drive me crazy! (But in a cute sort of way)

3. Maru is so determined to get into the box. Too bad he didn’t realize his rear legs where impeding the work of his forelegs.

4. I was thinking that it’s been a while since we’ve seen Maru!

And there it is this morning!

Maru, you made my day!

5. OH Maru you box addicted kitty!

With your GUTTULENCE!

6. i don’t know how on earth Maru’s owner can hold the camera steady without laughing at Maru’s ridiculous adorable antics!

7. Maru’s put on a bit of chub!

Typical cat, “WHAT’S IN THERE WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT???? Oh, air. Um ….. yeah, meh.”

8. Dawnieangel76 says:

Yay Maru! Julie, I was just wondering about Maru as well.

Now, maybe if we think reeeeeeally hard about Winston, we’ll see HIM next! *L*

9. omg, what a typo I made earlier. Where is supposed to be were. Yikes!

10. Oh Maru, you’ve done it again!

11. I haven’t laughed that hard at Maru, well, ever. I especially like that if I didn’t know better, the 2L on the box could imply that the box was only 2 liters big, and therefore Maru was a small kitty.

12. What a hugely satisfying video, almost cathartic. There’s a lot more than 2 litres of Maru…

13. Aww Maru! So sweet. I <3 him most because his face is so smooshed and his tail is so short. He’s so cute!

14. physics? pah!

there are boxen to be brooched!

15. Someone on Ellen DeGeneres’ staff must love CO because, she had Maru playing the tambourine and the standing cat on her show the other day. A week or so ago, she had the dogs sledding in the snow. Of course Ellen loves CO – maybe at some point she’ll give Meg & Co a shout out!

16. @Kristabelle – Meg should BE on Ellen. That would be the most fun episode ever!

17. mrowbecca says:

You can tell Maru’s male because instead of asking for help, he just uses brute force to open the box.
    but seriously, that is one box-addicted cat! I love the dumbness that is cute kitties.

18. Eureka! I have discovered a mysterious force that holds box flaps inexorably closed. I shall call it….

GRAVIKITTY!

19. CJ – I emailed her (Ellen) to tell her just that!

20. Madame X says:

Maru-tocks! In all their splendid glory!!!

21. Maru needs Dr. Drew to help him with boxhab. Er, maybe not since Maru is just perfect as he is. :D

22. I love how Maru works so hard to get what he wants and then when he gets it he doesn’t want it, so human of him.

23. Forget Celebrity Boxhab – he needs a stint in Celebrity Fit Club first. The guttulence is spectacular!

24. i_wuvs_puttins says:

I love the little ‘hind feet and buns in suspended motion’ at 2:23. He did the same thing when he was in the wastebasket in another video.

25. HEHEHEH OMG my sides hurt now… Ohhh Maru we Love you.

My favorite part is when he is trying to open teh box he is sitting on. I kept thinking you gotta mocve your but off there guy LOL and then when he climbs in and he does that handstand or should I say pawestand and then pushing it accross the floor till he can climb in okay basically I loved the whole thing!

26. Philosophical significance of Maru: how often are our greatest efforts impeded by our own ignorance.

27. paulajeanne says:

Crikey! That is one determined cat! And that tail is more like a kangaroo’s than a kitty’s! Notice how he uses it for balance?

28. I don’t think I’ve laughed this hard at a Maru vid ever! Maru – we’re not laughing AT you, we’re laughing WITH you.

29. paulajeanne says:

Judith! Very Zen.

30. I should’ve said: the weight of our own ignorance.

31. Oh my heavens, I want to squeeze Maru so very much indeed.

32. I’m amazed at how spotlessly clean the house is! Not a trace of shed fur or dust anywhere!

33. whew! that was stressful. i’m glad there was a happy ending.

34. Flutterby says:

Once again, Maru casts his magical spell upon us! I just KNEW he would graduate from Boxwarts, no sweat. Love his stubbular tailio and *gasp* that face! What a way to start the day. Thank you CO!

35. @Kristabelle– Dogs sledding? Where can I see this???

36. lol… the face at 1:26… He’s clearly wondering what the heck is up with this box. From what I’ve seen, usually his boxes are open for him lol.

37. Persephone says:

Oh, Maru, I love you and your major floofiness but you are one seriously boneheaded cat. Get you fluffy buns off the box before trying to get inside, silly!

Also, you’d think the box had tasty snacks or something good-smelling inside. Nope – the writing on the box says “Delicious Water – 6 2 liter bottles.” So… yeah.

38. i was amazed the box did not topple over sooner when maru had all of his weight on just one side of the box for a while. even if his hind legs were impeding the works of his fore legs, he was still pretty smart to figure out that the “tape” was the obstructive force. he kept on scratching and biting at it. he “saw” the problem!

39. Birdcage says:

I didn’t realize how big Maru was until the last couple of videos …..

40. Is it my imagination, or is he getting huge-er?

I love the part where he goes in head first leaving butt and tail up in the air! hee hee!

41. I heart you, Maru!

42. AuntieMame says:

He’s a good egg, but ot-nay oo-tay ight-bray. :D

43. The handstand-(pawstand)is just too too! I adore that cat. He has some very serious strength, too! What a sweetheart! Thank you Maru’s people! Does his name have a meaning in Japanese like “loveable” or something? Great, great vid!

44. Oh come on, everyone knows the camera adds 10 pounds. It’s not so much Maru is fat, but the current lens technology flawed. Therefore I demand his owner get a set of less blasphemous/more realistic 3D camera from James Cameron right away.

Actually, that may not be a good idea. Maru in 3D would truly be Cute Overload. That would be the end of us for sure. One day we will all get 3D video cameras, and watch everything on 3D displays, so it’s only a matter of time.

45. I know in Korean, ‘maru’ means ‘floor’ … don’t know if it’s the same in Japanese though. :)

46. Maru 丸 in Japanese means round ball (same as in Chinese). In feudal Japan, the sons of nobility often have -maru added to their names when they were young. So it can also mean noble child.

47. The Dutchess of Cupcake says:

I heart Maru!

48. Judith (@26), I was thinking the same thing. An example of being our own worst enemies…. ;-)

Maru rules the roost!

49. How much do i LOVE this kitty!!!

50. Theresa – it’s been EVERYWHERE, and so many people emailed it to me, knowing my love of dogs. Here: http://www.dogwork.com/snow2/

51. I am all about spaying and neutering companion animals to avoid unwanted puppies and kittens piling up in shelters.

And yet I certainly hope Maru’s genius genes got passed along before he got snipped (assuming he did get snipped).

Toward the end there, when he finally got it opened and tipped over, I was thinking, “Slide, Maru! Slide!” And he sorta did, didn’t he?

52. Maru. Sharp as a marble, but I love him.

53. Once A Fish says:

Scottish Folds (of which Maru is one of them– only about half the kittehs end up with folded ears) are NOT known for their Mensa qualities. One of my straight-ears likes to drink out of one of those bubbler-type water dishes. He has figured out that if the water level is too low for his liking, he just needs to hit the base and the bubbler will glug glug and more water will come out. So the other day I took the blubbler out to refill it, and I looked down and my kitty started to whack the base… no water came out… whack the base… no water came out… whack the base… no water came out…. and he’s staring at the base, all mad at it. Brilliance is not one of his strengths.

54. Hon Glad says:

Maru, you dork, it’s your own weight holding the box closed.

55. MamaLana says:

Maru, you are so adorabuhls!

56. I love the “fnerf” when he gets frustrated around 1:20. Soooo Maru.

57. i love this cat.

58. Maru, thank you for the bonus splayage at the end. We are honored.

59. I love Maru. I love that big boy.

60. kristabelle OMG that is the cutest thing ever…. That needs to be a cute over load post reall truely!

61. whiskers says:

Maroooooou!!!!!

All along I was thinking, move your but stoopy kitteh, and finally he did! *lolololol*

What a beauty. I would snorgle him forever.

62. Okay, well, I’m going to stop calling MY kitty big and fat until he fills a box that held 6 2-liter bottles. Maru is HUGE. And precious. And a little slow on the uptake sometimes. That’s why we love him. :P

63. :lol: Maru is like our cat, Badger, who loves to get inside boxes :lol: but she prefers a box with an open end :lol:

64. Malle Babbe says:

I wonder what it is like to be that unaware of your own butt…

65. Clawed Monet says:

Maru is officially the cutest cat on the planet.

66. Maru reminds me of our Boo cat, a.k.a. Tenacious B. He’s not the smartest cat around, but when he sets his mind to something, he doesn’t give up until he gets it done.

I was missing Maru, too. Thanks, CO, for the fix!

67. kibblenibble says:

Kathryn: Gravi-kitty! LOL!

68. Maru makes my heart sing.

69. Boxhab baby says:
  70. Ninetyeightcrows says:

Maru…..my secret crush….the love of my life. I love his fat floofiness, and all of his silliness; his splayage, and his ridiculous love for boxes….

71. BenPanced says:

Maru looks like he’s soooooooooo sooooooooooft!

72. I love Maru. But MAN, that is one big cat!

73. You KNOW that you have a problem when you find yourself scratching to open a box when you don’t even know what’s in it.

74. Malle Babbe 04.12.10 at 7:44 pm
    I wonder what it is like to be that unaware of your own butt…
    __________________________

ROFL!!!! :)

75. “sharp as a marble” <— how fitting for a cat named "Maru"!

76. Once again I have to say that Maru’s mom has the cleanest floors in all of Puppetland.

77. Mary (the first) says:

Y’all are very cruel, I was actually thinking that Maru is a pretty darn smart cat! He figured out how to open the box and kept at it until he got it open. Can you see a dog doing that? It would be days before they even got past the “baroo?” (what the heck?) stage. I love Maru. I’d take one Maru over any number of Winstons. (For the record, I love dogs too. I’m just sayin’.. Maru is actually pretty smart, I think!) (Did I say I love Maru?)

78. I have assumed he was named Maru because of the circle on his side. He’s sort of grown into his name and become rather rotund too…

79. Maru is famous.

80. HI-LAR-IOUS! AND C-U-T-E! Turns out it was just a box after all, huh? Oh well, maybe the next time there’ll actually be something IN the box.

81. SatinDoll says: