Less-than-an-inch Worm

Ehn! Ehn! Ehn!

According to our intrepid Cuteporter this “inch” worm is “more like 3/4 inch at the longest, but only if he straaaaaaayched really hard. He appeared on my shirt when I was down at the river, and then took a long hike up my finger. Also with SUPER enhanced close-up.”

Ehn!

Ehn! Ehn!

From the lovely photographer and shoe-admirer Megan B.

Comments

1. janet2buns says:

Vereh vereh scareh markings along his sides! OOOooh, so fierce!

2. Liking its stylish spot motif. And tiny feets, natch.

3. last picture: I is gawna geeet chu!

4. If an inchworm appears on your clothes, it means you’re going to get a new suit. That’s why you’re being measured.

5. RicaLynn says:

Inchworm, inchworm, measuring the marigolds,
    you and your arithmetic will probably go far…

6. Photos like this make me wish I didn’t have a swat-first-and-regret-missed-cute-later instinct when it comes to things crawling on my skin.

7. Flutterby says:

I was sitting here trying to remember a little ditty about a worm…alas, it was glow little glow worm…, so it won’t work here! Give this little guy an inch and he’ll take a mile. He’s ugly-cute, anyway! The close-up gave me the shivers, tho.

8. Does anybody know what inchworms turn into when they grow up? They are like caterpillars, which turn into butterflies, but they are not the same. Moths? Unicorns?

9. excellent extreeeeeme closeups!

10. Here we go…Geometer moth (“Earth measurer”)
    “The geometer moths or Geometridae are a family of the order Lepidoptera.” (from Wikipedia)
    Or, unicorns…

11. Fallon, inchworm is a name for the larvae of moths of the family Geometridae.

There will be a quiz tomorrow. :)

12. OMgosh! So prosh! Thank you for the adorableness, after crying my eyes out over something that should be long gone from my life I needed some cheering up. Luckily I can always count on you guys to provide said distraction.

*off to inch my way to bed*

13. Aja – Lol! I like that.

All I can say is thank God almost-inchy found such a kind, good host. Not a screamer or smasher-type.

14. Shadowtiger says:

Inchy…squinchy…inchy…squinchy…

15. Lucy's Mommeh says:

RicaLynn….dang it, that EARWORM is gonna get stuck in ma haid!

16. freetomato says:

What a sweet little invertebrate! I’ll have you know, cuteoverload is the reason my big, tough Senior NCO husband now says “ehn!” when he stretches to reach something. If the Air Force only knew……

17. Courtney says:

That brings me back to my little-kid days growing up in the country, where you couldn’t so much as sit under a pine tree without an inch worm dangling in front of you (they make silk, like spiders), or landing on you, or discovering a big fuzzy caterpillar climbing from the trunk onto your shoulder. Siiiigh. Good times.

18. Trabb's Boy says:

This is charming, and freetomato’s comment is even charminger. Lovely way to wake up!

19. Hovertext is awesome. Eeenchworm dances way better than Kate Gosselin!

20. Valerie says:

They are cute with their little selves. Amazing! And if they were larger I wouldnt let them crawl on me like that. I usually do the freak out dance if bugs land on me. I know I need help. LOL

21. Valerie says:

@saffron: lol…rocks dance better!!

22. O NO (he/she/or it) DI'UNT!!!!! says:

….and talkaboutcher CLOSEUPS!!!

you could get a fingerprint offa one of those shots,
    if the police ever needed one…only to prove that
    Meghan B …. is INNOCENT, of course!!!

23. BStrange says:

Inchy-squinchy! Calvin & Hobbes Moment, there, thanks Shadowtiger. :D

I love the second pic, where the inchy is at its squinchiest. It’s like it’s demonstrating how to tie shoelaces, or something! I really miss seeing these around, even if it meant ‘pillar-webs to the face now and then. I never saw a one that was actually an inch long, though. I think they converted to the metric system and forgot to tell us. ;)

24. She looks quite happy to me! Nice baby butterfly!!

25. At the second picture, I first went “ewwww.” Then I read the “deedle deedle deedle” hovertext, and all of a sudden the picture was cute to me..

26. Jerilyn says:

… seems to be you’d stop and see how beautiful they are…

Useful for teaching small children their two’s, four’s and eight’s!

Just sharing the love :)

27. For Flutter By
    The inch Worm Song

( I am Old this is from Captain Kangaroo way back in the 60’s)
    Also once performed by Ernie on Sesame street.
    And lets not forget played by John Coltrane!( I didn’t realize this till I went to check if I remembered my lyrics correctly)

Two and two are four
    four and four are eight
    eight and eight are sixteen
    sixteen and sixteen are thirty two

Inch Worm, Inch Worm
    Measuring the marigods
    You and your arithmatic will probably go far

Inch Worm, Inch Worm
    Measuring the marigods
    Seems to me You’d stop and see
    how beautiful they are.

Song Writer: Frank Loesser
    Lyrics by: John Coltrane

28. Jerilyn Jinx

29. Megan B. says:

I definitely got some weird looks for being all closey-upey with my finger. Totally worth it though

@saffron Definitely. Bet he’s got better musicality in one teeny leg than she does in her whole body. I’d vote for him in a hot second!

30. Calliope says:

I love inchworms! Some of them grow up to be pesky moths that devour plants. But they’re still darn cute.

31. Mary (the first) says:

I like the third photo best, looks like he/she is .. cantering? Very cute but sadly I’m probably like many people who would swat first and inspect for cuteness later (which after the swat, might be too late) so thank you Megan B. for the cute!

32. Flutterby says:

Thank you, Kittyadventures! I grew up on Captain Kangaroo, so that’s probably what I was trying to remember. Love the smart people on this site. CO is the absolute bestest there is for learning, laughing and squeeeing!

33. Worm-hance!!!!

34. all: I love that song and I love Inchworms! I always sing it when I see an one, and I almost always get choked up by that last line. (I guess I’m sappy) I saw Danny Kaye sing it – and I think maybe that’s where it’s from, now that I look – in the film Hans Christian Andersen. (And – no offense to anyone including the late great! Mr Coltrane – but I think both music and lyrics are by Loesser.)

While I am trying to be Informative, I also discovered that inchworms are from the moth family Geometridae. “The name “Geometridae” ultimately derives from Latin geometra from Greek γεωμέτρης (“geometer, earth-measurer”). This refers to the means of locomotion of the larvae or caterpillars, which lack the prolegs of other Lepidopteran caterpillars in the middle portion of the body, with only two or three pairs at each end. Equipped with appendages at both ends of the body, a caterpillar will clasp with its front legs and draw up the hind end, then clasp with the hind end (prolegs) and reach out for a new front attachment – creating the impression that it is measuring its journey.” Cool, eh??

35. KItty Adventures- and Hans Christian Anderson movie had it too, and for the life I can’t think of the name of the incredibly talented man who sang/performed it. All I can think of Danny Thomas and Hans Conried- it was that era. Tall lanky, blonde, did Broadway, a great hoofer…oh, please help this is going to murdelize me until I get it..he did wonderful fake languages, aahhhkkk! Peeps, help!!!!!

36. CathyDee says:

From the movie “Hans Christian Andersen”–makes me weep!

37. @CathyDee – Ack! me too.

38. O NO (he/she/or it) DI'UNT!!!!! says:

@ CathyDee: I was lurking around seeing people refer to artists doing the song in recent decades, and *WONDERING* whether I was the only Ancient Redwood Tree old enough, to know about Danny Kaye & his cover of the song. There also was a PBS item (most likely American Masters or some such) which ranged across lots of different parts of DK’s life & career…including his having a television variety show and guest Harry Belafonte; and the people interviewed, commented that rather than being a guest ON DK’s series; he was so generous to arrange sketches & etc in such a way that the guest felt like HE/SHE was holding a series and DK was the person just there for one day.

39. ♫♪♫♪ ……. “Inching along the open road,
    ♫♪♫♪ Under a sky that’s clear, ♫♪♫♪
    Inching along the open road, ♫♪♫♪
    ♫♪♫♪ All in Spring of the year ♫♪♫♪”……….. La, la, la…..!

40. I love cute overload. It’s not all fluffeh puppehs, it’s also snorgleable invertebrates. Next up: snorglepuses with 8 cuddlelegs!

41. I love me some Danny Kaye. Combining the two makes my friday perfect.

42. aww see I had seen the Danny KAy one too. and Coltrane actuelly credits Loesser My missunderstanding of the site where I looked to be sure I had my lyrics correct.

43. CathyDee says:

Well, since there are other Danny Kaye fans :-) . . … He is very cute, after all.

44. minecritter says:

Less-than-an-inch Worm? Perhaps a Centimeter-pede. (Come on, someone had to say it.) :D

45. chanpon says:

Yeep. Anything wormy is cuter from afar….wormy worms. *faints*

46. Oh yeah, I remember the Danny Kaye version too. Sweet memories.

47. O NO (he/she/or it) DI'UNT!!!!! says:

“HEY YOU GUY-UYZ!!!”

— GUESS, which 1950s film starring Danny Kaye, will play on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) this morning (Sunday) ????

–YUP!!! Hans Christian Andersen FILM on TODAY.

Signed,
    “Wheeeeeeeeeee”

48. Daphne Moss says:

Never thought I’d think a worm was cute, but this little fella is adorable.