I just met a Peep named Ma-ree-aaa…

I’ll see your bookshelf Peeps diorama, and raise you the fourth annual Washington Post Peeps Diorama Contest, which drew over 1,100 entries, some recreating classic movie moments like Peep Side Story

…and Alfred Hitchcock’s The Peeps. Check out a slideshow of top entrants and see full coverage at the Washington Post site.

Comments

1. Leilani says:

I’m constantly ever-awed by what people can do with Peeps!

2. Peeps with way too much time on their hands! But… way cool creativity!

3. The Peeps are gonna have their day
    Tonight
    The Peeps are gonna have their way
    Tonight

The Chocolate Bunnies grumble
    Fair fight
    But if they start a rumble
    We’ll rumble ‘em right
    Tonight!

4. I feel Peep-y
    Oh so Peep-y
    I feel Peep-y, and Cheep-y and Gay
    And I pitty
    Any Peep who isn’t me today

I feel charming
    Oh so charming
    It’s alarming how charming I feel
    And so Peep-y
    That I hardly can believe I’m real

See the Peep-y girl in that mirror there?
    Who can that attractive girl be?
    Such a Peep-y face
    Such a Peep-y dress
    Such a Peep-y smile
    Such a Peep-y me! :)

5. And honorable mention should go to Brownie, of Blondie and Brownie, who didn’t get the entry done in time: http://blondieandbrownie.blogspot.com/2010/03/let-my-peeple-go.html

6. OMG the Birds scene is ohhh so awesome
    and Theresa and Nikki\
    Bravo

waves Lighter in the air!

7. LoL… lovely

8. Queen of Dork says:

Theresa and Nikki: Brava!!! (thunderous applause) *throws flowers onto stage* :) Unbelievably, I just ordered this very movie earlier this evening. Well, not this VERY movie. I ordered the one with humans but I would’ve ordered the one with peeps if it was available. That would have been sweeeeeeeeet!

9. Where on earth do I get black crow-peeps??? I lurves them!

10. Queen of Dork says:

The Birds one is so delightfully silly with the little briefcase and the cigarette.

11. Iris of mustard says:

omg that is so funny

my sister saw the birds from the alfred hitchcock diorama and thought they were real birds

where on earth could i get black crow peeps? they look totally and completely awesome.

12. BabyOpossum says:

Gee, Officer Peepke, we’re down on our knees
    ‘Cuz no one wants a ‘mallow with a social disease.
    Gee, Officer Peepke, what are we to do?
    Gee, Officer Peepke,
    Peep you!

[STANDING OVATION :D - Ed.]

13. JessLynn22 says:

Oh my goodness, I literally LOL’d at the hovertext for the first one – “Peep to me, Tony!” Flippin’ hilarious!!

14. When you’re a Pee,
    You’re the top cat in town,
    You’re the gold medal kid
    With the heavyweight crown!

When you’re a Peep,
    You’re the swingin’est thing:
    Little boy, you’re a man;
    Little man, you’re a king!

The Peeps are in gear,
    Our cylinders are clickin’!
    The Buns’ll steer clear
    ‘Cause ev’ry Chocolate Bunny’s a lousy chicken!

Here come the Peeps
    Like a bat out of hell.
    Someone gets in our way,
    Someone don’t feel so well!

Here come the Peeps:
    Little world, step aside!
    Better go underground,
    Better run, better hide!

We’re drawin’ the line,
    So keep your noses hidden!
    We’re hangin’ a sign,
    Says “Visitors forbidden”
    And we ain’t kiddin’!

Here come the Peeps,
    Yeah! And we’re gonna beat
    Ev’ry last cheepin’ gang
    On the whole cheepin’ street!
    On the whole!
    Ever!
    Peepin’!
    Cheepin’!
    Street!
    Yeah!

15. Oooh, little typo-ette in the first line there :roll:

[I thought that might have been a subconscious thing. - Ed.]

16. Outstanding Theresa!!

17. More Peepery…………..

18. Alternate hover for pic no. 1:
    “How many bullets, Chino????”

19. Or “Cheepo.”

20. The Birds one is freaking awesome! For those that asked I’m pretty sure the black crow peeps have just been dyed/painted.

21. veronica says:

i want peeps

22. love eet!! i want to do one next year! :D

23. 260Oakley says:

Theresa wins a Peepsbody Award for her achievements in lyrical silliness.
    Honorable mention to BabyOpossum.

24. The Birds is amazing, even a little cigarette. Strangely I still want to eat them…

25. The Chicago Tribune has been doing this contest for years, although I’m not sure if they started it or not. Check out their finalists here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/peeps/chi-2010peepsfinalists-gallery,0,2565551.photogallery

26. Stephanie Turner says:

27. Queen of Dork says:

260: “Lyrical silliness” What a great way to put it. And what an honorable award for Theresa! I can’t wait to see what gown she decides to wear when she arrives on the red carpet at the awards ceremony to accept her Silly award. :)

28. Queen of Dork says:

29. Has anyone seen the winner yet? It’s a scene from the movie “UP” where Carl first releases the balloons and the house begins to take off. It’s incredibly adorable.

30. Steven Colbert recently did a story on the woman who got evicted for decorating with peeps. It’s incredibly silly and features many peeps. Look for the clip titled “War on Easter” at Comedy Central.

31. (making deep curtsys)

32. Wait a darn minute– a lot of those so-called “Peep” scenes are full of BUNNIES.

33. Queen of Dork says:

Hahahaha! Bwahahaha! (evil laughter) This has nothing to do about anything except having fun as a mom. My daughter had a couple of friends spend the night. So they told me last night to “make sure you wake us up by 9:00 am SHARP. Because we have a rehearsal to go to.” Well, I just did that. I burst into the room and began singing this Glory, Glory, Children of the Lord song at the top of my lungs while clapping my hands to the beat. Peeps, it was hilarious! One of the girls sat straight up in bed immediately as if she had been catapulted from the mattress. It was awesome! (Well, it worked. They’re up)

34. Queenie, that is so evihl. My dad used to do evihl things to wake me up in the AM. He used to come in my room, and announce in this very loud, sing-songy-Gilbert-and-Sullivan-operetta tenor:

“A Birdie with a Yellow Bill
    Hopped upon my Windowsill
    Blinked his shining eye and said
    Ain’t you shamed you Sleepyhead?”

35. skippymom says:

QofD, good morning! (well, it’s afternoon here, but anyway) Pretty please, sing that Glory song for us?

36. Why is my comment awaiting moderation? It is stinkin’ funny!

37. Waaaah!

38. (singing loudly)
    God said to Noah there’s gonna be a floody floody
    God said to Noah there’s gonna be a floody floody
    Get! those! animals! out of the muddy muddy,
    Children of the Lord!!! :P

39. Queen of Dork says:

skippymom: Good morning to you, too! Well, the whole song is really long so I won’t sing that but the refrain that I sang to wake up the girls is this:

Rise and shine
    And give God the glory, glory
    Rise and shine
    And give God the glory, glory
    Rise and shine
    And give God the glory, glory
    Children of the Lord.

(Sing at the top of the lungs while clapping hands to the beat. This will wake up anybody from age 0 to whatever)

40. Queen of Dork says:

Theresa: That’s it!! :) You posted that before I did mine but cool!

41. skippymom says:

Thank you! Now I am wide awake, just in time for lunch.

42. skippymom says:

Dear Theresa, you are STINKIN’ brilliant today.

43. Sunday school song, peeps. Now let’s sing “Kumbaya.” :D

[Please let's not. :mad: - Ed.]

44. Oh my goodness, THANK YOU SO MUCH! We worked so hard on this diorama and we’re ecstatic that people (peeple?) are responding well to the product of our efforts. I particularly enjoy all the songs that have been posted in the comments.

Thanks again!

Maree, Nick, and Stacey

45. Heeheeheee

46. QofD, my mother used to wake us up by belting out, at the TOP of her lungs:
    Good Morning to you
    Good Morning to you
    We’re all in our places
    With bright shiny faces
    And this is the way
    We start a new day

Used to drive us nuts!!! Now I look back on it and smile everytime! (And I make sure to sing this to my mom, everytime she is napping…) Ah, the joys of payback…”)

47. Theresa, you KILL met!! LOL. You find the best and most redonk videos!!

48. Oops, I meant “me” not “met” Sheesh! (insert eye-roll emoticon here, if only I knew how!)

49. I actually like this one better:

50. Queen of Dork says:

Holy Crap! (catching breath) Teenage girls. run. get them ready. (catching breath some more). clothes. shoes. giggling. *help* Hair. clothes and nails. (gulp). Hair and clothes and shoes. Getting them ready. Time! Time to go. with your clothes and nails. Oh noooees! forgot! breakfast! cereal in bowls. milk. giggling. *crap* Time! (out they go) *whew* I think I’ll go lie down and rest now.

51. Queen of Dork says:

CRAP! The flattening iron is laying on the counter still PLUGGED IN! Fire alert!!

52. @Theresa @Nikki: BRILLIANT!!!

Not as brilliant but it just peeped into my head:

I like the Peeps in America
    Okay to buy Peeps in America
    Everything is a Peep in America
    Even Peep bunnies in America!

53. And here’s the link to the Colbert clip on Peeps and the Attack on Easter, http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/268800/march-31-2010/easter-under-attack—peeps-display-update

54. Queen of Dork says:

Nikki: Hahahaha! My dad used to just grab my foot and shake it and say, “Stef, Wake UP!!” :)

55. @Stef, how BORING! :P

This was MY dad waking me up in the AM:

56. Lol. Theresa, this explains a lot!!!! I see where your humor comes from.

57. Queen of Dork says:

Theresa: Poop! For some reason, my idiot computer will not play that. Crap! But guys, here’s a fabulous thing. The cat Loretta just came in my house and again melted my heart! She’s so sweet. She came up to me as I’m sitting here typing, rubbed her head on my legs and meowed in the sweetest voice you could ever, ever hear! I petted her and said “Hi, Loretta!” and she said, “Meeeooow.” (Hi) and hopped up on the bed, curled up and purred herself to sleep. *gulp* I love her. :)

58. skippymom says:

QofD, you do realize, don’t you, that Loretta is gradually insinuating herself into your household and one day you will realize that she is your cat now? I got two of my four cats that way.

59. Your blog ….. it’s amazing and soooo inspiring. Nice to find you!

A small footprint from Agneta & Sweden

Ps. I have an ongoing jewelry contest on my blog. Welcome! Ds

60. Queen of Dork says:

skippymom: I know. I soooo love this little girl! She is so welcome to stay here whenever she wants to. The thing is, I think she is actually somebody’s kitty and just visits here and tugs my heart strings. I think this because she just looks so healthy, clean and cared for, not like a feral cat. She’s such a little beauty. (Sam thinks so too). I wish I could take a picture of my kitty babies to show everypeep. They are so beautiful and matchinginks

61. Drat!!! :mad:

62. Queen of Dork says:

Awww Shoot peeps. I was going to send you flowers but my computer just will no longer allow me to cut and paste those pretty pictures for you anymore. Bummer.

63. skippymom says:

QofD, I thought I was all set with three boy kitties, and we used to say we were a boy-kitties-only household and didn’t need no stinkin’ girlcats. But then Chloe moved in last summer, and I loooooove having a little girl around. She’s tough enough to hold her own among the guys, but she’s also dainty and feminine. She’s my little princess girl. And the boys all adore her–even Skippy although he mostly takes pains not to admit it.

64. Paunchie says:

God said to Noah, you betta build an arc-y arc-y
    God said to Noah you betta build an arc-y arc-y
    BUILD IT OUT OF (clap clap clap) BIRCHY BARK -Y BARK-Y
    Children of the Lord!

I’m a little late to the party so it seems

65. Queen of Dork says:

Yay, Paunchie!!! :)

66. Paunchie says:

It’s a song ya just gotta hollah!

67. Katrina says:

Wow, this is a thread for the ages, Peeps! Happy Easter and I hope the Easter Bunny brings everything you could want! Such incredible talent from everyone!
    I send lots of fluffy and hoppy love, from your fellow Peep who hasn’t been around for a while (fine, just really busy). A seder for 9 people! I DID IT!!!! The whole fam-damily! I had help but it was all delish and THAT was my doooo-ing!
    Katrina

68. Queen of Dork says:

Katrina: Mazel tov!!! A seder for 9 people sounds amazing. You did it! I soooo wish I could have been there! Much love to you and your family! :)

69. Birch-y bark-y. Jeez Louise! :lol:

70. Queen of Dork says:

Gosh. I adore you peeps. (Not the marshmallow ones, although they’re cute, but I mean YOU peeps…and CO staff!)

HAPPY EASTER!!

71. MamaLana says:

You peeps all just qwack me up!! Teresa, you are a peeping genius! I’m rolling on the floor laughing my peep off! Thank youse!

72. MyLittlePonyTales says:

my sister is OBSESSED with West Side Story

73. Queen of Dork says:

MamaLana: :)

74. Katrina, you GO girl! So great to see you again–it’s been a while! Congrats on the seder–I’m sure it was spectacular! Did you serve peeps? Are they Kosher?

Theresa, you’ve been a blast all day. And as I go off to prepare for Easter tomorrow, I’ll close with one last encore:

There’s a Peep for us
    Somewhere a Peep for us
    Peeps and quiet and open air
    Wait for us
    Somewhere

There’s a Peep for us
    A time and Peep for us
    Hold my wing and we’re halfway there
    Hold my wing and I’ll take you there
    Somehow
    Someday,
    Somewhere!

75. Queen of Dork says:

My Goodness. Here’s what a small town Vegas actually is for us locals: I just went to the corner store. The little, teeny corner store. The dentist I go to is just right around the corner, too. So I’m in the store and one of the hygenists is in there and he’s all, “didn’t I just clean your teeth last month?” (Thankfully, I wasn’t buying candy). “Yes, you did just clean my teeth. And thanks!”
    “Have you been flossing?”
    “Oh, yes! Absolutely, I’ve been flossing!” (halo floating over head)
    “Okay. See you next time.”
    “Yes, you bet! I’ll be there!”
    (sheesh) This really actually just happened.

76. Queen of Dork says:

Nikki: :) Cool!

77. Queen of Dork says:

Choreoagraphy here ROCKS! Dancing in this scene is good. Hail to Jerome Robbins!

78. Queen of Dork says:

Okay. Last one. But what a great example of fabulous dancing. (spit, spot! And off we go!)

79. @QoD, my favorite scene:

80. Queen of Dork says:

Theresa: I know. That scene is so cooly cool. As is the entire movie, really. Isn’t this just such an amazing movie? They don’t make them like that anymore.

81. Queen of Dork says:

Good Heavens! Theresa, we may end up playing and enjoying the whole entire movie tonight!

82. @Stef, it’s just wonderful. You’re a dancer, I’m a musician, so I come at it from that point of view. And I’m always amazed at how fresh the music is. When I was teaching I used to play the “Jets Song,” “Cool” and the Rumble for my classes, and they always really liked it. And I felt like I had accomplished something.

Have you ever seen Trisha Brown’s stuff?

83. wuyizidi says:

Hope this doesn’t unleash a wave of nuff’ing (the Peeps are for cute, not for eating!) the like of which we have not seen since, well, Thursday, but here it is – Peeps brûlée.

84. Queen of Dork says:

Sweetie, No, I don’t know who Trisha Brown is. You can tell me about it if you’d like to. But here is something I find to be so lovely I can barely speak of the ritual.

85. I can NOT stop laughing at The Birds one – love the suspended one! Gonna check out the UP one now.

I love Sabbath Prayer. I’m not Jewish and not Christian but it’s such a beautiful sentiment.

86. that Bird’s homage is pure brilliance.

87. 2catsonmylap says:

Why do people always say that thing about artists having “too much time on their hands”? We clearly have enough time to look at animal pictures on the web for HOURS… so why is that so much more worthwhile than creating something tangible that entertains, amuses, or inspires people?

88. @Jeff (late to the party, I know I know): I go to the Peeps Research site every Easter. It doesn’t change, but I love it! I don’t like how icky sweet Peeps are, and it was really interesting the things they did. :)

89. Officer (Original) Mel says:

Yeah, Alfred Hitchcock’s The Peeps is pretty much my favorite diorama of all time, thankyouverymuch.