The Element…OF SURPRISE!

Alert Cuteporter Tara writes: “Our dog Jasper (a year-old Mini Schnauzer) learned how to open the low drawer in our kitchen. We took everything out of it, but he relentlessly continues to open it. Since he tends to skip his breakfast meal, my husband had the idea to put some of his food into the drawer. Which of course he loves, because it’s ‘fun’ food. We’re making a point to never let him see us put food in there so it’s magical. He’s already gone back 3 times! I attached a collage of the entire drawer-food process.”

[Yes, you can click to Embiggen!]

Comments

1. Resriechan says:

….Um, Tara???? would you mind awfully, if we file this under:

“Who’s Trained WHOM?????? ;)

(JK o’ course; I’d do anything, for a cute lil’ furry friend with
    such a cute ‘stache, too!!! :) )

2. Dogs are much smarter than we give them credit. My dog would probably do the same thing as well – he can find food in the most unlikely places. Watch out for your bottom drawers – the dogs everywhere now knows where food can be found.

3. Oh how cute! LOVE the doggy smile! MiniSchaus rock!

4. That should have been MiniSchNaus! You know, like Mr. Barky von Schnauzer.

5. Stressfactor says:

The look on his face…. “Oh boy! NOMS!!!”

6. Honey's Mommie says:

Too prosh! Doggies are very, very smart.
    Good idea to keep it “magical”.

Love that lil face and tongue!

7. i love pic 5 “Hey, look whats i founds”

8. fifthsonata says:

Adorable! Usually it’s the cats who do these things.
    What’s surprising to me most is this sentence – “Since he tends to skip his breakfast meal…”

OMGWTFBBQ. NEVER have I met or read about a dog who skips a meal willingly.

9. Yeah, I knew wasn’t opening this drawer obsessively for no reason.

10. Schauzer head!

11. platedlizard says:

I love that little bit of tongue at the end.

12. 4th picture: *sigh* “dry dog food”
    5th picture: “you couldn’t slip some filet mignon in here?”
    6th-7th-8th picture: “oh well, dig in” *chomp chomp*

very very cute series of pictures of a cutie doggie.

13. If I’d done that with my dog she would have spent her whole life at the drawer, waiting. That dog was food-obsessed.

This little dude is so cute! Love those big button eyes.

14. Erling Jacobsen says:

That’s a long process to go through to get food …

I’d even say it’s drawn-out …

15. I love how proud of himself he looks. “Look! Look, Mom! I found FOOD! I am AWESOME!”

Is it just me, or does he look like Sprocket from Fraggle Rock?

16. My dog routinely skips meal. He’ll basically fast for a day and a half before deciding that the grumbling stomach needs attention. When he’s in a fasting mood, he’ll even turn down treats. Go figure.

17. Look, Mom, it’s magic NOMS!!!! How cool am I!

I love his furry little face. He’s soooo pleased with himself. :D

18. My heart just melted…both at the pics and the story.

19. Spirit – he does look suspiciously like a miniature version of Sprocket. That was the first thing that popped in my mind.

He looks awfully proud of himself by the end! “Mommy, look what I did all by myselfs!”

20. LizzyCat says:

That’s adorable :)

And thank you for using the word “embiggen.”

21. Queen of Dork says:

He looks so happy with himself that he found his treats in the drawer! Can we get a nose/tongue-hance on the last pic?

22. Queen of Dork says:

(why is tongue spelled like that? It looks like it should be pronounced tung-yew. Why don’t we just spell it like it sounds, like tung?) 8O

23. Copperbat says:

crazy smart :)

24. I’m reminded of the Air Noms commercial, where the goggies are in slow motion.

25. kibblenibble says:

My best friend had a (mostly) Schnauzer named Bunny who was the smartest and sweetest dog EVAR. She did the most remarkable things. RIP, little girl. Love you!

26. marthava says:

@Queen of Dork – I think it’s too close to “dung.” Ew.

27. marthava says:

My “favorite” is when people spell it “tounge.” It makes me insane. Well, more insane.

28. Hot Tams says:

the pic where he’s facing the camera after discovering his treat hahahahaha!!!

29. Found my new background! I wish my kitchen had drawers like that so my doggie could open them.

30. My doggie does this same trick. ‘cept no food is involved. In our house that drawer has all the dish towels. If she’s feeling neglected she’ll go in the kitchen, open that drawer and pull out all the folded dish towels, then grab one and run through the house knowing I’ll chase her. Again guess that belongs in the who’s trained whom category:)

31. QoD– my Edinburgh roomie was born in Tongue (right beside Kyle of Tongue, don’tcha know) but soon moved to the big city of Inverness. Such a wide wide world we live in, eh? (and that’s the Scottish ‘eh’, not Canadian or U.P.)

32. Paunchie says:

We need Mr. Linguistics, Doggabone, to come give us his explanation of the “gue” thing.

Like “segue” weird word. If we say seg-way, how come we don’t say ton-gway?

Yeah and I have never heard of a dog skipping meals!

33. Hon Glad says:

My cats never skip a meal, ifact they want meals between their meals.

34. Hon Glad says:

infact

35. My dog will make it very clear when he wants his dinner. He’ll do anything for food. In fact, if Bosco is in my car and I go to the bakery, and have to run errands after the bakery stop, I have to bring my baked goods with me, or they’ll be all gone. I’ve learned my lesson after he did that to me 3 times.

36. :lol: Paunchie, I think I’m going to pronounce it ton-gway from now on! And agreed on the cuteness of the ton-gway action in that last pic.

37. I love shot 5 where he’s thinking (the head cocked sideways) “Could it be? Is there food in there??” and then picture 7 where there’s no longer any doubt and he knows there is.

38. Aw, love the image of the pet parents slipping food in the drawer on the sly to keep up the magic for their furkid.

39. So smart! That’s a great idea, if he’s going to be at the drawer anyway. My dog is fooled by the principle of “fun food” too–so long as it’s not in her bowl, it must be a treat (which she will eat until she pops, unlike her bowl food, which is not interesting in the slightest until she’s hungry). That’s a really good way to safely encourage his schnauzer curiosity. Just watch about other drawers now! :)

40. David Spor says:

Pic # 4 – “What’s dees??”
    Pic #7 – “Eet’s noms!!!!!!!!!!”

And I believe the proper word is “bigify.”

41. DarrenMcCall says:

Too cute. He looked surprised to find dog food. Cute how he looked to you for approval before eating. Thanks for sharing :)

42. whats in the draw? dog noms!

43. What a smartypants doggie! Yay for the Magic Drawer of Noms!

44. Yay for smart mini-Schnauz! I love his nose triangle. My mini has been known to skip meals as well, but she’ll chow down when she gets really hungry. Heaven forbid she learns to open the bottom drawer or it would be a tupperware explosion in my house.

45. I try this sort of “enrichment” thing with my cats. I put just a little food in their bowl and the rest in a tube that they have to roll or use a paw to extract. This way they’re not just plopping down at their bowl and inhaling.

Hey, they’re cats. They gotta do something everyday besides sleep. If zoos can do this to stimulate tigers and lions, it’s gotta be useful.

46. Love this:) I love doggies so much.

47. I love schnauzers, they’re the best. I was thrilled when I saw Jasper. I have a white one named Lula she is my lovely baby, so playful and intelligent! I love the fact that she has a huge stache and hairy legs and is still cuter than any other girl.

48. lol, here’s to many many years of outsmarting that adorable little pup!

49. WOW we have a mini schnauzer named Jasper also! He is 16 months old.

50. HanksMom says:

I like the “Is this really for me?” shot in the lower left.

51. findingmyunicorn says:

I also have a mini schnauzer. Ah, he’s adorable! Cute cute cute. x

52. @Paunchie: In Old English, it was originally spelled “tunge”. Scribes of the Middle English era habitually replaced the “u” before “m” or “n” with an “o”, to avoid confusion in reading, as the letters were crammed together. The “u” was put back in front of the “e” somewhere around the fourteenth century, apparently to indicate the proper pronunciation, although there’s no phonetic or etymological merit to it.

From the Italian, “segue”, meaning (now follows), is the third person of “seguire” (to follow), from the Latin “sequi”.

All from http://www.etymonline.com/.