Welcome to the Katucky Derby!

This is the big one, race fans!  It’s almost scratching-post time, so let’s review the lineup: Chicken of the Seabiscuit in stall one, followed by Secretaricat, Milkmaid, Great Hairballs O’Fire, Chasing Tail, Cat Outta Hell, Safety Pin has been scratched… and at twenty to one, Feetlebaum.

So who do you like in the fifth, Susy P.? (Found at The Daily Tail.)

Comments

1. Im gonna have to pinch #4’s cheeks!

2. How on earth did they get them to stand still for the photo?? That’s one heckuva job at herding cats….

3. I think these are the same cats as in the stack pic: http://twitpic.com/1394to

Starting to wonder how they were “trained”. :/

4. #1 looks reeealy pissed. How did someone get all those kittehs to site still at once????

5. Cat #1 is having none of it.

6. LOL…all looked well behaved except 1…kinda looks like hes ticked or takin a nap before the race.

They are all beautiful cats!

Nice write up-funny.

7. Cats have a thing for boxes…My fav…hard to pick..#5 is the smallest…1st 3 are laying down not ready. 4 has the cutest cheeks!

8. NTMTOM BIG UPS for the Spike Jones ref!

9. I bet half an hour later they’re all in different boxes, asleep!

10. PS “Guys and Dolls” hovertext FTW!

11. I’m betting on cat #1, because he looks a little ebil and like he would cheat to win.

12. This is a riot. But you just know that NONE of those cats is going to run. They’re going to do the exact opposite. Curl up and take a nap, or start shredding the cardboard, etc.

13. Good luck had just stung me
    To the race track I did go
    She bet on Milkmaid to win
    And I bet on Secretaricat to show

The odds were in my favor
    I had him five to one
    And that tabby came around the track
    Sure enough we had won

14. Paunchie says:

And how did she get them to all look up at her at the same time? Except for no. 1 who has nappin’ on his mind.

I’ll put some money down on no. 6!

15. Stressfactor says:

@Theresa… I know! Now I’ve got that song stuck in my head… “I’ve got the horse right here his name is Paul Revere and there’s a guy that says if the weather’s clear, Can do, can do, this guy says the horse can do. If he says the horse can do, can do, can do…..”

16. Christine says:

Oh my goodness, #2 is cheating! His paws are totally inching ahead.

17. Yay!! More entertainment by peeps with too much time on their hands! Maybe NOW I can say I’ve seen everything?
    # 2 seems like he’s tryin to get a head start there. My money’s on him (her). Who’s makin the mint juleps?

18. “1 Room apartment on sale!

We have many amenities including heat, gas, laundry machine, internet and a private garage!

But dogs are now allowed.”

19. It’s a draw. Of Cuteness. Allow me to present the prize schnoogles.

@Klaatu42: They totally are!

20. If I were the camera man (or woman) taking that picture I’d be VERY afraid for my life right at that particular moment. Those cats look like they’re going to jump for my head as if it were a giant piece of tuna.

21. Cats IN racks? Spike Jones AND Feetlebaum? Guys AND Dolls?
    THUD! *ded*

22. Secretaricat and Milkmaid are totally trying to cheat! False start, false start!!!!

*Frantic whistle blowing. Cats look bemused. Cat Outta Hell starts washing himself, and Chicken of the Seabiscuit curls up for a nap. Secretaricat totally breaks with protocol and leaves the gate, commences rubbing against the referee’s leg.*

23. #2 and #3 are trying to sneak in a head-start.

24. You know that movie, “The Birds,” directed by Alfred Hitchcock? I’m pretty sure if there was a sequel, called “The Cats,” there would be a scene just like the one pictured above — and in the next frame, those cats would be attacking the photographer, viciously clawing him (or her) to death, as though he (or she) were a giant mouse. Just sayin’.

25. Yup, NOMTOM, thanks for the earworm, this will take a while….
    I love that musical. “Sit down sit down sit down sit down, sit down you’re rocking the boat”….I wrestled with that one last week for two days!

26. tracylee says:

not a kitty person, but as a greyhound owner (retired racer) I can definitely appreciate this setup :D

27. I thinking their tails are tied in knots at the back of the boxes. Numbers 2 and 3 have the longest tails. hehehehehehehe

28. tracylee says:

lovely, Claude!

29. #1 looks pretty peevish. That expression cracked me up immediately.

30. OK were is the velcro, there as to be something holding these cats in place ;-)

31. Sorry here is the missing h, it’s been a loooong day!

32. Numbers 2 and 3 have cheater written all over them.

33. LOL at Bailey. Nice one.

I’d like to place a $6 exacta box on 3-5-2 and $2 on 1 to place for my little brother… he always picks them based on their “cattitude”

34. My vote goes for number 1. He looks like he’s planning something. =)

35. #4 Looks like he has some muscle tone or food packed in his mouth.

Send out a mouse to run along side him my money is in this order 3, 2,7, 6, 5, 4(want that one), # will be sleeping if ya dont hurry up and blow the whistle. #5 looks a little skidish so he might be in the back of the box.

36. #1 has the “Whatever!” look

37. skippymom says:

I am SO doing this with my cats this weekend.

38. Box-hab is next for these kitties.

39. Queen Zola says:

So that’s what the bus to boxhab looks like……….

40. Paunchie says:

LOL Queen Zola!

41. So where are their liddol jockies??? Ran off again, I suppose……! :roll:

42. I pick number 5 to win. That’s a look of relaxed confidence right there.

Then again, number 1 definitely looks cheesed off enough to shove everyone else out of the way…

43. AHAHAHAH! Feetlebaum. That takes me back to my childhood, listening to Spike Jones on LP.

44. Outstanding post! #1 looks like he is going to do something tricky to win, either that or whack his competitors. And NTMTOM, thanks for the G&D reference! Love that song, in fact love all of the songs from that one…

45. Nan Clark says:

So THIS is what goes on at Box Rehab.

46. This is an excellent way to organize your cats. I just hate it when all my cats are mixed up in a pile and I have to dig through all the fur, noses and claws to get to the kitten I want.

47. AuntieMame says:

BEEEEEETLEBAAAAAAAUM.

48. Resriechan says:

@ skippymom: where shall I mail the condolences card to your remaining family members when you are torn to shreds for your unwanted attempts to organize YOUR kittehs????

@ cheshirekittehcat: WIN!!!!!!

“Ya jist can’t get good help, these days….” ;)

49. Queen of Dork says:

#1 looks like my SamKitty! Same expression on the face, even. I wonder if Sam has been posing for photos while I’m at work?

50. #5 has got the eye of the tiger.

51. Wow, that is the cutes xylophone ever!

52. Hon Glad says:

Number seven wins by a whisker.

53. Why does this never happen in my basement?

54. pushy mcshove says:

“…and it’s girdle in the stretch.”

55. Oh NO! Hovertext = flashbacks to my senior year high school musical!

“…and there’s a guy that says if the weather’s clear, can mew, can mew, this guy say the cat can mew, if he says the cat can mew, can mew, can mew!”

56. OMG, that is just TOO MUCH!! My wife will love this! It combines her love of horse racing with her love of cute cats.

57. dr. berthaservant says:

I am coming out of hiding to declare this post beyond awesome. Because I played Nicely-Nicely in “Guys and Dolls.” Because I love “Up on Cripple Creek” (Thank you Claude!). Because I love kittehs lookin’ like dey’s ready to pounce. And because this site is more wonderful than should be allowed.

58. will those cats leave their boxes? they kind of look settled in to me. Box rehab?

59. I agree, a beyond awesome photo. Who says you can’t herd cats? Whoever got these kitties to pose for this did an absolutely fabulous job!

60. “Can do, can do, the guy says the horse can do, can do, can do……”

61. Queen of Dork says:

Hi Katrina! :)

62. #1 isn’t pissed or plotting, peeps. He/she is simply bored with all of these silly human antics and wants to take a nap. BTW, GORGEOUS kittehs!

63. danielie says:

Great Hairballs O’ Fire = Most hilarious kitty name EVER.

64. KittyMarthaPoo says:

My money’s on the “dark horse” (pun fully intended), Kitty #1 ;)

65. Chicken of the Seabiscuit looks ready for a nap.

66. I just reset my computer background. Amazingly beautiful kitties. I want them all.

67. snoopysnake says:

His name is Epicat
    He’ll win and that is that
    If it’s not by twelve tails
    I smell a rat
    Cat do
    Cat do
    This guy says the cat cat do…

68. SoCalSis says:

Dr. Berthaservant, why are you hiding? We miss your erudite pearls of… erudition!

Claude, thanks for The Band ref— love that one!

69. SoCalSis says:

Snoopysnake, I don’t think it’s a rat you’re smellin’, it’s cat doo! (Time to clean out the litterbox?)

70. At first I was like…

Then he was all like…

Then I’m like…

71. Whoops…wrong post. :P
    Dun matter… someone beat me to it anyways.

72. I’ve been staring at the Daily Tail post linked from here since yesterday, trying to determine how this witty photographer managed to get seven cats to pose in the same shot not once, but multiple times. The only thing I can think of is that s/he must have taken multiple shots of the same scene and carefully shooped them together. Even if that is the case (it HAS to be, no cats can be trained to stay so still while the other six are being posed), it’s still impressive that this person got seven different cats to do what they wanted. I wish I knew the original source for these.

73. :lol: All seven kitties have the same expression like they are all saying at the same time “Are you finished taking our picture? Can we go now?” :lol:

74. Love #1 – major cattitude:)

75. Life in the big city cat race.

76. Delightful picture, made even better with a dollop of Spike Jones at the end! No one else could sing “Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold. Peas porridge in the pot, nine days old…Phee-ew!” like Spike Jones and his City Slickers. Not that any of us are old enough to know about all this first hand, we must have learned about him from our grandparents, I’m sure.

77. I think that black cat making owl ears is gonna blow the field away.

78. Looks like number one is the dark horse. Give me a hundred on number one on the nose……

79. Fie on all of you, poking fun at cats in boxhab therapy! Have you no shame? (P.S. I don’t either. :D)

80. I was listening to a CD of George Harrison’s greatest hits (he always was and always will be my favorite Beatle) the other day. One of my favorites is “Dark Horse.”

You thought you had me in your grip
    Baby looks like you was not so smart
    And I became too slippery for you
    But let me say that was nothing new

I’m a dark horse, running on a dark race course
    I’m blue moon since I picked up my first spoon
    I’ve been a cool jerk looking for the source
    I’m a dark horse

I think Mr. Harrison was talking about this photo and #1. But that’s just me. :)

81. 1 is just not interested…wake me when its over. All are beautiful and look well cared for.

82. I put a bet on #7.