It’s Hrothghar, Chihuahua of Destiny!

[Cue jaunty marching music: ♫ HRUM-pum-pum-pumpity-PUM-pum-pum... ♫]

Highwaymen, beware! Blaggards and knaves, take care!
For a hero roams the forest with a might beyond compare!
With his faithful St. Bernard, he is always on his guard,
Fighting evil and injustice with a proud and piercing stare!

For this brave and bold chihuahua
will not fail his finest howah,
And he’ll make the cowards cowah
With his mighty Yap of Powah!

So sing his praises from the rocks and from the tallest tree,
He’s the Wa-Wa of Des-tin-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I feel safer already, Ant.

Comments

1. Really not fair to make me laugh hard when I’ve got a migraine NTMTOM. I see a CW series in the making…something akin to The Seeker.

2. Peg of Tilling says:

Heeeeere he comes to save the day!

3. NTMTOM, though art brilliant!

4. That’s chihuahua’s expression is keeling me. Like he just realized that this thing doesn’t come with stairs for the dismount.

Someone Sir Didymus is smiling at this noble steed and knight…

5. 260Oakley says:

Beowolf
    (condensed version)

I love those old dogas.

6. Fluidstatic says:

*falls over LMAOing at your song*

That’s definitely a Hrothgar. THE FACE. And his St. Bernard is like “Ha, I love this kid.”

7. I spy a Leonberger! They’re hardly around, it seems. What a beauty :-)

8. Brave Sir Robin ran away (no!) Bravely ran away, away (I didn’t!)
    When danger reared his ugly head (no!), he bravely turned his tail and fled,
    Yes Brave Sir Robin turned about, and gallantly he chickened out (I never did!)

9. eeeee <3

10. OMG! The look on the chihuahua’s face says it all! XD

11. TrixandSam says:

@260Oakley – you slay me.

Awesome pups. You can’t juxtapose much better than this.

12. Gitche's mom says:

that is not a St. Bernard, that’s a Leonberger!

13. I’m king of the world!

(Neeeeeeeaaaar, faaaaaaaaaarr, whereeeeeeeever you are…)

14. No question which one’s the alpha!

15. that picture is so amazing chihuahuas one day will rule the world one dog at the time lol

16. skippymom says:

File under Classic NTMTOM, with The Prickly Kid et al.

17. I am completely done in… Between the chihuahua’s face and NTMTOM’s tune, I am useless for the rest of the day. I shall simply sit here at my computer and contemplate the wonder that is CO.

18. sabrina rose says:

Both dogs are gorgeous examples of their breeds. I love that the Chihuahua has an opportunity to be as dignified and majestic as other canines.

Excellent parody of Beowulf (though spell checker overlooked “blackguard”).

My new fave pic.

19. OH MY GOD ITS A LEONBERGER!!!!! wowie!!! this is the best post ever.

leonbergers are the best and sweetest dogs ever!!

20. eastiegirl says:

This immediately made me think of The Labyrinth: Sir Didymus (though, he’s a fox) who rides a sheepdog, Ambrosius. <3

21. “All will before me!”

22. LOL!!!

23. Does that Leonberger come with fries? Oh never mind. I see it comes with a small fry.

Carry on.

24. Well Sir Hrothghar may be brave but can he best the The Knights Who Say Ni!

25. Shrubbery!

26. that is truly awesome!

the other day when I was at the vet’s office, I saw a great dane and a wa-wa sniffing each other. it too was adorable!

27. lol @ dogma! get me in trouble at work!
    shrubbery…

28. holligans says:

“mighty yap of powah”
    hee hee
    Does Hrothghar also have a “sweateuw of powah”??

29. shahinrani says:

The picture and the song are among my favorite things ever.

30. “HROTHGAR”?? Beowulf joke FTW!!!!

Hwaet!

31. NTMTOM classic!!!! He’s my fav!

32. Cholmondeley says:

But what rhymes with Leonberger? It throws off the meter of the whole saga. Which is epic, BTW.

33. I am Hrothghar, Chief Wa Wa of Destineeee!!!
    With my mighty, faithful Steed, yet….!!!
    (And even though my red velvet cape is at the cleaner’s,
    and Steed’s saddle is being oiled, we are off on our mission:)
    Since Don Quixote left, somebody needs to tilt at windmills;
    so we are on our way now: unless we are held up by sumfin unforeseen,
    like the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog…..!! :shock:

34. first I thought “cute!”, then I laughed, then I thought “at the times of Hrothgar poetry had alliteration, not end rhymes”. I suck.

35. I actually knew a dog named Hrothghar. He was a big ‘un though. I don’t know what kind.

Anyway, ADORABLE picture!

36. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

Confession time: I have only a layperson’s knowledge of dog breeds, so I had not heard of Leonberger until these comments. Thanks to all for the edufication.

But yeah, “Leonberger” might have been harder to rhyme, so I probably would have cheated and called it a St. Bernard even if I had known better. :)

[Is a Leonberger anything like a Lingonberry? :? - Ed.]

37. I’m not a fan of chihuahuas but this is a nice pic, so “orale hombre!”
    :D

38. AuntieMame says:

Ha! As soon as I saw this, I started hearing the voice-over for Njorl’s Saga.

Erik Njorl, son of Frothgar, leaves his home to seek Hangar the Elder at the home of Thorvald Nlodvisson, the son of Gudleif, half brother of Thorgier, the priest of Ljosa water, who took to wife Thurunn, the mother of Thorkel Braggart, the slayer of Cudround the powerful, who knew Howal, son of Geernon, son of Erik from Valdalesc, son of Arval Gristlebeard, son of Harken, who killed Bjortguaard in Sochnadale in Norway over Cudreed, daughter of Thorkel Long, the son of Kettle-Trout, the half son of Harviyoun Half-troll, father of Ingbare the Brave, who with Isenbert of Gottenberg the daughter of Hangbard the Fierce…

39. What a hero!!!
    I want a goofy-happy St. Bernard/Leonberger steed….

40. Miriam, who doesn’t?? :) What a gorgeous goggie.

41. Hrothghar may be tiny but he IS MIGHTY !!!!

42. “With his faithful Leonberger, he will capture every burglar”?
    “With his faithful Leonberger, he will travel far and further”?
    “With his faithful Leonberger, he’ll drive through and get a burger”?

Yeah, OK, it might be a tricky rhyme…

[ :lol: - Ed.]

43. Catsmith says:

Shouldn’t that be CUTE jaunty marching music?

44. Cheryl Robinson-Atwood says:

Camille!!! YESSS!!!!! (Not that NTMTOMS’s saga isn’t epic-just sayin’…)

45. Dr. Emile Schoeffhausen says:

On his mighty Leonburger, he will smite and he will murder…
    On his trusty Leonburger, not a carpet made of Berber…
    On his steady Leonburger, his loins he shall well girder…

46. I’ve never seen a nobler looking chihuahua

47. Onward brave steed!

48. ouroboros says:

FANTASTIC LYRICS!

49. On his steady Leonburger, his loins he shall well girder…
    OK that one got me! LOLLLL!!

50. Resriechan says:

“…mighty yap of POWAH”.

That is all.

51. Meriel: me, too. Also the switch from end rhyme to internal rhyme in line 3 bugged me.

Still, how often do you get to see a chihuahua riding a leonberger *and* a Beowulf reference at the same time? Until today, never. So I try to forgive.

52. Mary (the first). says:

OMG as I frequently do with NOMTOM”s stuff, I didn’t scroll down until reading all the caption. All I saw was the little one’s head. And I was singing the song in my head. Gasped aloud when I finally allowed myself to scroll ..and saw the big doglet! All over wonderful. You had me at “cue the jaunty marching music”. All after that was pure gravy.

53. Queen of Dork says:

NTMTOM: I was already smiling as I was reading the song. (LOVE the “pumpity PUM pum pum”) Then I scrolled down and saw the picture…and BURST out laughing! The song is perfect for the picture. :)

54. HanksMom says:

The haughty pose of that chihuahua makes me giggle!

55. Copperbat says:

I love this post. I love that picture and I love NTMTOM.

56. NTMTOM, this might be one of your best captions EVAR!

57. I wants the Newfie!! Pweese!?!

58. i believe a new rule of cuteness must be added:
    “If you are shown with something bigger than you, both are immdediately more adorable”
    and i can’t look at this one without breaking into a smile

59. Merial:
    As an English major, that comment made me laugh hysterically. So true.

On a broader note, first time commenter, long time viewer, but this picture slayed me and is now the background on my computer (replacing the Impossibirds!)

60. All hammies and kittehs shall flee before me!

61. HWÆT, WE GAR-DEna in geardagum,
    þeodcyninga þrym gefrunon,
    hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,
    monegum mægþum meodosetla ofteah,
    egsode eorlas, syððanærest wearð
    feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,
    weox under wolcnum weorðmyndum þah,
    oð þæt him æghwylc ymbsittendra
    ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
    gomban gyldan; þæt wæs god cyning!

62. victoreia says:

@Theresa: how’d you manage the non-Latin-type letters (or is I seein’ things?)…. aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnndddddddd, translation, please?

63. Hon Glad says:

Theresa – Hwat der hael iz thaet…..Olde middle English or somaht?

64. Andi from NC says:

For some reason, this makes me think of the Princess Bride (classic movie, by the way). The wah wah is that little guy who kept saying “Inconceivable!!!! and the Leonberger – which I, too, thought was a St Bernard – is Andre the Giant’s character – “You keep saying that word, but I do not think it means what you think it means.”

Ok, now I’ve got to break out the DVD again – thank goodness Sunday is supposed to be rainy in NC

65. Y’all are too smart and too clever for me to compete. I’ll just sit back and partake of the cutest doggy duo I’ve seen in a looooong time. I have chihuahuas so I know that leetle Hrothghar thinks he and his chariot are exactly the same size. ♥♥♥♥♥♥

66. Is it wrong that I want to right click/save so that I can MS Paint a halberd and helm on Hrothgar? :/

Bonus points for alliteration!

67. My response to Theresa is Bork Bork Bork! :)

Chihuahua named Zod so all will kneel before him.

68. Resriechan says:

(my linguistic shot is that Theresa is doin’ some’at kinda Gaelic-y
    which is indeed *DIFFERENT*, from something “Garlic”-y, which would be cuisine & kitchen-centered….)

69. Resriechan says:

but I agree with V: there are *indeed* actual tildes and other non-A-Z accent marks repro’d and as a Linguistic Nerd, I ditto her request:

“HOW-J’Yuh do it???”

70. Resriechan says:

oops — see I messed up already!!! ended my line (GASP) WITH A HANGING PREPOSITION — THA HORROR!!!

(hangs head in Culpa aka shame)

(kicks rock in the dust)

71. Resriechan says:

AND AUNTIE MAME FTW!!!!

(jeez. That’s it: “I CAN”T HANDLE THA CUTE” today)

(gotta come back another time to entirely grasp all the cleverness under this post;Sorry peeps that I’m posting multiple times here. Please forgive)

72. omg, what a beautiful mass of fluffiness!!
    That was the best! thanks for starting off my morning laughing at loud! The leonberger rhymes killed me!

73. bookmonstercats says:

GORGEOUS big doggie. Wants me one, but we work all day and often half the night, so out of the question. Besides, I know I’d be the one to end up getting up at 4am to take him giant walkies, so a bit of self-interest rears its ugly head.

74. Dude, IT IS A LEONBURGER, not a slobbery St. Bernard. Besides, the Knight would not look so dashing on the tri-colored Bernard. Gheez!

75. Leonberger, NOT a st. bernard

76. Don’t be hatin’ on the St. Bernards, now. They have good & plenty of their own awesome.

77. Oh Mike. I love you SO MOISHE. Literal guffawing happ’nin’ over here. Read the caption, then scrolled down and saw pic. Tewtal perfeckshun. Please to be marrying me ASAP.

78. I love the shot. This picture is really cute. The Chihuahua really stood out like the boss. lol.

79. NTMTOM, you crack me up. Seriously. I look forward to your posts daily. : )

80. I’m loving the dopey look on the leonberger’s face. That is an “oh boy, this sure is fun!” look.

81. Resriechan says:

um, Babs:

1) He might already be IN happyland
    2)if not, please get ye TO THE BACK OF A LOOOOOONG LONG line of previous aspirants to NomTom’s potential harem…………………

82. @Heather – what’s stopping you? And please post a link to the pic once you’ve finished. Btw, have you seen the flash animated Viking Kittens? If not, check it out: http://users.wolfcrews.com/toys/vikings/

Oh, and am I the only one who saw this and immediately thought it was an all-dog version of the Warner Bros bulldog & kitteh?

83. Emmberrann says:

@NTMTOM: I tip my hat at you. I am sooooo not worthy. You take the cake and the whole bakin’ mess.

84. I LOVE THE LEONBERGER! I’ll take him, please, and go to any happy land or adventure with him! I really want to give him a big hug and kiss. (Chihuahuas are okay, but I prefer BIG dogs!)

85. I wonder how he got on… did he leap up or did the bigger dog bend down and let him climb on?? Either way, pretty cool!

86. WHAT is your QUEST??

87. Fran in L.A. says:

*SCREEEEEE* (Sound of fingernails on the wall. I’m trying to stay upright but the qte is takin’ me down!)

NTMTOM you’re too much. I, also, get in line to be your love slave. Nothing too arduous (I’m gettin’ old!) All you have to do is whisper captions in my ear….

@Theresa, what the heck???? Is your computer from an alternate universe???

88. Resriechan says:

Paunchie: Does this mean that YOU are the Bridgekeeper? Am I Robin the Brave?

If so, I predict the following Events:

Sir Robin [answering the Query of the Bridgekeeper]: To seek the Holy Grail.

Bridgekeeper: What… is the capital of Assyria? [pause]

Sir Robin: I don’t know that. [he is thrown over the edge into the volcano]

Sir Robin: Auuuuuuuugh

89. Paunchie says:

Oh shut up! And go and change your armour!

LOL @ Sir Robin

90. BruceysMom says:

I hate to be the frog in the punchbowl, but I believe the larger dog is a Caucasian Ovcharka. Leonbergers don’t usually have feathers on the back of their front legs. I have been a dog groomer for thirty years and I have owned a CO doesn’t mean I am not wrong though!

91. they look cute………:D

92. I have to agree…my favoritest Beowulf matched up with some loveleh fluffeh doggehs??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!!? Hrothgar is…you know what? forgetit. I am done. speechless. This Beowulf reference wins the internets.

93. baileysgrandmom says:

And now for the punchline to one of my favoritest “shaggy dog” stories: “I wouldn’t send a knight out on a dog like this!”

94. Queen of Dork says:

Fran in L.A.: Oooowwch! Not the SCRRRREEEEECH

95. Who runs Bartertown? Masterblaster!

96. Lucian mom says:

It is a leonberger, and they do have feathers….From a proud owner of a Leonberger!

97. though “thou” art thoroughly misspelled, thy thought was understood.

98. So noble and majestic!

99. Jim Norcal says:

MASTER-BLASTER from Beyond Thunderdome.

100. HanksMom says:

I love this post so much I just keep coming back to it.

101. I am officially renaming all three of my chihuahuas Hrothghar, Chihuahua of Destiny. I may also rename my poodle Hrothghar, Poodle of Destiny. Just because I can.

102. Resriechan says:

@ Dash:

Thanks for sharing. Are you a Hua Hua Addict?

Or a Fun & Odd Vocab Geek?

103. Hay guise, I just copied and pasted. That’s the first few lines of Beowulf in Anglo-Saxon– no, I don’t understand it. ;) I always remembered, though, from college that the first word is HWÆT!

I also remember vaguely stuff about kennings and alliteration.

104. Resriechan says:

@ Theresa — if u will indulge a “yeahhhhhhhhhhhbbut”:

cut/ paste from a literature page whose script/ text had orig. been written in

Gaelic?
    Garlic?

Caaernobog??

105. baileysgrandmom says:

Hey, Meg! I just had a brainstorm! (Or a “hurricane in my head,” as my grandmother misremembered it once.) Why don’t you devise a comic book (what? Oh, they’re called “graphic novels” now?) with some/all of these wonderful pix and their original captions. BUT alongside each one, include 260Oakley’s puns! I would definitely buy one or 100 copies!!!

106. @Resriechan: Old English. Also, there needs to have had been a language named “Caaernobog”. Really there is and has had to have been a need for one to have had been.

107. Resriechan says:

@ doggabone:

“Verrrrrry interrrrrestingk”.

Or, alternatively: “eeeeeeezzz a Puzzlement!!!”.

;)

108. You can also typies odd letters if you remember (or look up) the shortcut. I have grown ridiculously fond of the word “über” and therefore had to memorize how to do the “u” with the umlaut. I also amuse myself by writing in Elvish periodically and them funny letters are necessary. The Character Map is my friend! :D

/end keyboard nerdiness

Anyway. *ahem* The Leonberger and his brave knight are fantabulous, as is NTMTOM’s epic saga!

109. So proud, so noble! Am I the only one that thought “Cute Overlord?”