Astronuts

Commander Bentwick checked the fittings in his oxygen hose for what must have been the nineteenth time as he waited at the airlock. Then, with a whoosh, the great doors cracked open and Bentwick stepped on the planet surface, followed by co-pilot Captain Chet “No Sweat” Gillette.

As they took their first tentative steps, the surface felt soft and springy beneath their weighted boots. Slowly, the two men took a look around — and it was only at that moment that they noticed the fatal design flaw in their space helmets.

squirrel with coconut

Photo by Mike Walker for the Daily Mail.

Comments

1. Can you hear me now?

2. 260Oakley says:

I can hear you, but your voice sounds kind of husky.

[looks for Huskies... :? ]

[ ... ;) ]

3. LOL! It took me a moment to see that the coconuts are suspended.

4. Pat Trenner says:

Well, if we’re not going to do any more manned spaceflight in the foreseeable future, let’s try Skwerled spaceflight. Throw some corn in the cockpit and hit the LAUNCH button.

[What I want is a big red LUNCH button. - Ed.]

[...Well, OK, maybe in a few hours. ;) - Ed.]

5. Sometimes I feel like a nut. :-D

[I'd respond with the obligatory "Sometimes I don't" except I'd be lying - Ed.]

6. Marcy Hunt says:

Wheres the lime and the shake it all up?

[Doctor! Is there something I can take? :P - Ed.]

7. I’d like to know the backstory… how on earth did these little adorabuhl squirrels get coconuts shells on their heads?!

8. Oh, just read daily mail… got the backstory. Too funny!

9. Well it is a good theing they aren’t wearing red shirts. You know what happens to red shirts!

[I've heard the odd rumor. ;) BTW, Meg's dad actually HAS one of those! - Ed.]

10. hilarious!

11. Dragonpearl says:

I’ve seen this somewhere else on the web. Someone has drilled holes in the bottom of the coconuts and hung them from a tree. The squirrels are sticking their heads in them to eat the flesh inside.

[Nom nom nom, Mon! - Ed.]

12. HILARIOUS!

13. I think they are nature’s comedians.

14. CathyDee says:

European squirrels or African squirrels?

[I refuse to answer on the grounds that I might cause myself to be hurled into the foggy abyss by ancient magic. - Ed.]

15. CathyDee: BRILLIANT!

16. lexipuppymommy says:

It’s Squirrel Coconutkin!

17. CathyDee-full of win!

18. Hon Glad says:

You put the lime in the coconut, you drink ‘em bot’ up
    Put the lime in the coconut, you drink ‘em bot’ up
    Put the lime in the coconut, you drink ‘em bot’ up
    Put the lime in the coconut, your such a silly woman

Theo I am tempted by the red shirt but I want one with the caption
    “Captain I canna hold it much longer” hmm, perhaps that should be on the front of
    a pair of underpants

19. skippymom says:

Oh man, the second I laid eyes on this picture my brains came spurting out through my nostrils. Thanks a lot, now I’m trying to gather up the bits and stuff them back in.

20. If they only knew how silly they look. Thank God they don’t!

21. Put thee squirel in the coconut!

22. Hey ! Those squirrels have the same coconut purse I do !!!

Did anyone check out the “I heard the odd rumor ” link at the bottom of #9 ?
    they have interactive Tribbles for sale !!!! OMG !!!

23. Mudbug Interactive Tribbles….tribble troubles on the horizon! :D

24. ShelleyTambo says:

I’m so going to do this outside my bedroom window as TV for the cats.

25. Set As Desktop Backround…

26. first reaction: wtf??
    second reaction: lol, how do people think of this stuff??

27. Insult to injury re: the Red Shirts– when you get blown up, pulverized, mineralized, crumbled, combusted, crushed, gassed, shredded, imploded, disappeared, vaporized, crystallized, Lurched (!), pressed, etc.– all that Kirk dude does is rub his upper lip with his phaser and look “concerned.” :P

28. PS Kudos to peeps who feed the skwerls, rather than freak out when the little ninjas get into the bird feeders!

29. PPS:

30. victoreia says:

*snicker* At first, I couldn’t figure out how they got the squirrels to carry the coconuts on their shoulders!

On another note, is it frightening that my mind was naming the episodes in that Redshirt video?

31. I would never have thought to suspend coconuts for squirrels. Nor would I have guessed that squirrels would actually enjoy coconut flesh. My world is getting bigger by the moment!

32. @Victoreia: Yes. Yes it is. :P

33. @Kittyadventures – thanks for the memories… and the laughs.

I keep waiting for the squirellies to smash into each other, head first, like that kid with a bucket on his head in Parenthood! (Or I would if this was a video and not a still…)

34. Ground control to Major Tom

35. Maybe it’s a head spa — they stick their heads in there when they ‘want to get away from everythingks’ for a few mins.

36. Yay Wombats I have been restraining myself all morning becaus e I hate to be hogging all the comments.

37. carolanne says:

lmao….i am so heading to the grocery store tonight….lol…thanks for the laugh, very much needed today:):):)

38. Dragonflye says:

“I’ve got a lovely bunch of coconuts!”

39. Oh how I love CO. I really needed something silly and fun today. I lost one of my sweet little bunnies, Pochino, who was only 3 1/2. He was perfectly fine on Thursday night, chasing his best pal, Pallina, around the living room trying to steal a slice of mango from her, but yesterday morning he was in trouble and by mid afternoon, he was gone. The vet could find no reason for his sudden death. Pallina and I went in to say farewell and as soon as she saw him, she started kissing him. They were literally inseparable for their lives together. Since yesterday she hasn’t left my side and keeps looking everywhere for him. Sorry for the threadjack, but I know from all my time here on CO what a loving bunch of animal pals you are. I

So I am so glad to see a pair of kooky squirrels being completely ridiculous on this sad day in my little house.

40. The first thought that occurred to me: the skwerrlios were getting ready early for Halloween and practicing with coconuts, because pumpkins are out of season……
    (but then, that’s just me…. :roll: )

41. @cheshire – either that or this is the props/costuming department for the Woodland Theater production of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow…

42. @ Nikki Hugs Sweetie to you and Pallina.

43. @ Nikki – hugs from my house to yours also

44. @Nikki, purrs from my Dante, who is the best purrer.

45. Oh Nikki, I’m sorry for your loss. It’s always hard watching your furries ones “looking” for their friend. Just heartbreaking.

Many good thoughts your way.

46. auroragyps says:

OMG, this reminds me of the Warner Bros. cartoon about the squirrel trying to get the coconut open. It’s classic Chuck Jones and full of teh cute.

Gets coconutty at 2.23 min.

47. *hugs to Nikki*

48. MamaLlama says:

Thanks for the cartoon link, auroragyps. I watched all almost 7 minutes of it, and I did like the cute determined skwerl!

49. @ Nikki: so sorry for the loss of one of your beloved Bun-Buns; fewer things are more sad than the loss of our fur-kids; sending comforting thoughts to you and Pallina; ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ {{{{{{{ Nikki }}}}}}} ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

50. I love skwerlios, they are so funny and care free.

51. hmmm….now how can someone work in the light-sabers we saw the squirrels with a while back?

52. {{{{{{{cyber hugs}}}}}}} to Nikki and Pallina from Joey Cat and Buffy Dog

53. I’m waiting for them to hit their coconut-haids together and go POK!

Look, where’d ya get the coconuts?
    Through…. we found them!
    Found them, in Mercia?
    So?
    The coconut’s tropical! This is the temperate zone.
    The swallow may fly North in Summer…

etc, y’all know the rest

PS sorry about the bunny, they can be fragile little guys.

54. Hon Glad says:

Nikki – ” As soon as she saw him, she started kissing him.” moved me to tears.It took me a year, to get over the death of, The Honourable Gladys Amelia Anstruther . So take your time weep if you want to, it’s not silly. We the peeps understand.

55. Paunchie says:

zuh zuh zuh zuh

brudder bought a coconut
    he got it for a dime
    sister had anodder one
    she paid it for a lime

oh great, total earworm.

called the doctor, woke him up and said…

56. Paunchie says:

Doctor!

57. I’ve got a lovely bunch of something *humming and averting eyes* DEEDILY DEEDILY!

58. I know it dodes not really need to be said but Jim Hansen;’s Muppets were always ful of WIN and Awesom sauce!

59. MaggieBee says:

Oh, Nikki…I’m so sorry for your loss….TJ, Fran and Dumplin send chinchie kisses and offer some Timmy hay for Pallina.

Also, I think I may need to get some coconuts…maybe saw them in half, though… :D

60. At last the Mayan Astronauts have returned to earth!

61. Thanks friends. I am so grateful for your kindnesses.

62. @pounce: I’m glad you pointed it out, because otherwise I’d still be sitting here snickering at the silly squirrelios who got coconuts stuck on their heads….

63. Nikki, I am so sorry for your loss. My dwarf hammie’s beloved brother passed away a few months ago, so I know exactly how you feel. Big hug, chin up. Pochino and his furry friends are happier somewhere else, and we will see them again. x

64. Lucy's Mommeh says:

I put this on FB-a local animal lover says she’s going to have to have to hang coconuts up in her back yard. I said if I still lived in our last house I’d be doing the same thing. Westfield, New York is lousy with skwerllios, including black ones!

65. MyLittlePonyTales says:

astronaut or page?

66. If those red shirts had been wearing coconut helmets, maybe they’d be alive today.

67. LOL @ Shelley Tambo

68. Queen of Dork says:

Lucy’s Mommeh: Here’s a sad about where I live in the desert: No squirrels. :( I miss them. There were lots of bunnehs when I first moved here 10 years ago but they seem to be all gone, too. As well as the toads. I guess everybunny moved away. *sigh*

69. ShelleyTambo 03.12.10 at 9:04 am
    I’m so going to do this outside my bedroom window as TV for the cats.

OMG hang-overs make me so dumb! I thought shelley tambp meant that SHE was going to put a coconut on her head to entertain her cats! now, five min later, I understand she meant a coconut on the squirrel’s head. still funny, but not as funny as my first interpretation haha

70. Whoa! Careful now. Looks like the lil rascal is in the midst of a move. Should have called “New York Movers.” They certainly could give this guy a hand. the use reverse bidding on move jobs big and small. You post what you need moved and the sirte matches you with movers. Visit CityMove.com (http://www.citymove.com), for more information!

71. Houston, we’ve really got a problem. Aldrin got into the champagne.

72. Virtual reality…you’re doing it wrong.

73. cute cute cute cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

74. Gimme my coconut! Nice pic! I wonder how long he kept the coconut on his head?

75. pen-queen says:

Does this remind anyone else of Sandy the Squirrel from Spongebob Squarepants?

76. AmoLudare says:

Reminds me of this hilarious classic cartoon.

77. JohnnieCanuck says:

Curious how what once was two photos of the same squirrel became merged into one over at the Daily Mail only to become two again here.

What Mike Walker joined together, NTMTOM has put asunder?

78. Squirrel Fan says:

This is the first time my submission got featured, yay!!
    Glad to see how popular this is, plus all the spin-offs.

Ed: how ’bout a credit for the submish of this link on 11th, or did you spot it before me?

[I never see submissions, and you're likely not the only one who sent it in. - Ed.]