Olympics Draw Huge Audience; Some More Riveted Than Others

“Curling. What’s up with that?”

I’m guessing this guy could medal in Alpine Lazy, Louisa of Louisa Marion Photography.

Comments

1. If only “Chasing Squirrels in the Snow” were a Winter Olympics event…

2. Curling is God’s way of saying “go ahead and drink heavily while in the arena” – not that this sweet innocent baby would get involved with that sort of thing

3. or me

4. *snrk*

5. I work in a building which is actually almost IN the Olympic Village here in Vancouver – some of those cops are pretty cute, too! ;) But I don’t want to snorgle them like I do this little guy …

6. resriechan says:

“I’m Popeye, the Puppy Dog….”

7. BEEP!
    kiss
    BEEP!

8. AuntieMame says:

Cop snorgling! Where is that event being held?!?

9. Mary (the first) says:

That little guy has a GOLD medal in Alpine QTE!
    And I’d also like to point out that I am in Vancouver although nowhere near (by which I mean hundreds of miles away) the Olympics. How is that, you ask? There is actually a Vancouver in the USA which is in Washington and pre-dates Vancouver BC.

10. Looks like this pup’s competing in snowbored and grabbing some serious backside air on the halfpug.

11. Pugolishous!

12. Harrumph!

13. The wrinkles! The larger glassy buggy eye!! Ohhh! Too moshe!

14. @260Oakley — please don’t ever stop commenting! kthnx bye

15. Oh come on now, I LIKE curling! I think its funny. Like horseshoes. Those big guys taking their backyard sports so seriously? Oh come ooon! ((it should have been the rug))

16. Haiku throwdown!

What Olympug sport?
    Slide on ice, throw rocks and sweep
    While five months pregnant?

17. Amazingk! I was home Tuesday watching curling and had this exact same look and thought!

18. DaytimeDeb says:

You call THAT curling? I got yer curling right here:

19. kibblenibble says:

Pug is SO shiny! And so bored, poor baby. *boop*

20. How To Make A Pug Cute To Me: Photograph one when his entire face looks like he put it on crooked this morning. Perfecto!

21. How do the Olympics hold a pencil?

[Spoken like a true cartoonist. - Ed.]

22. 260Oakley- for reals your comments always make my day!!

Pug-a-rific pup!

23. “Alpine Lazy”! Good one, Prongs. At last a sport at which I might not get picked last for the team.

24. Just because he can’t catch it doesn’t mean his tail isn’t curling.

25. I totally stole that joke from Peter Blegvad. Like a true cartoonist.

OMG skiing-and-then-shooting-stuff (and then skiing away and shooting some other stuff) is on! Spandex and guns are a magical combination…

26. Yeah, that was my curling face, too, pups. I feel ya. What IS the point of curling? Help from the Peeps here?

27. Ohhhh….I love the skiing and shooting stuff event. And I’ve totally been into women’s curling this year–although that could just be because it’s been on when I get bored in the afternoon and turn on the TV. Or, because I’m afraid that the captain of the German team will hunt me down and hurt me if I don’t watch…I can’t really be sure.
    And this pug totally captures Max and Lulu’s looks when I turn on the TV–to curling, or anything else.
    Unless there are dogs on the screen to bark at.
    Or cats.
    Or squirrels.

28. “Spandex and guns are a magical combination…” PatitoGigante, I think you’ve just discovered the basis of the anime subtype in which form-fitting suits and large complex projectile weaponry converge.

Now if they could just teach this pug to use a modified supersoaker, make him a spandex doggie sweater, and put him on some skis, we’d have the perfect sport. Really, I’ve got chills, here.

29. Space Cowgirl says:

Cute, but needs a manicure!

30. Space Cowgirl says:

P.S.: I’ve forgotten how to change my avatar – can anyone throw me a clue? Thanks!

31. Andi from NC says:

*hypnotized by the silkiness*

32. Don’t look so sad, shiny little wonky-eyed guy. You definitely take the gold in qte!

33. I love this site. really.

What I’m getting tired of is the constant joke-fest people are making about curling. It’s not, as some derisively imply, shuffleboard on ice. The physics of the game are remarkable: it is the only game where the trajectory of the object is changed after the object of released, primarily by brushing (which is NOT done to clean the ice).

If you think it really IS shuffleboard on ice, give it a try. There’ probably a curling club near you. But be careful… you just might get hooked!

If you want to know more about this fascinating sport, here’s a good place to start: http://www.curldc.org/index.php

34. Angus's Mom says:

I don’t know why Pugs are listed in the “Toy” group…they are totally “Non Sporting”! Well, except for the 12 minutes a day when they are wacko.

PS – this dude needs a serious snorgling…STAT!

pps – miss my all black pug, Angus :)

35. Awww, what a sweet face! ^_^

36. aww, I missed skiing and shooting stuff! SO thinks I’m crazy for liking the biathalon, thanks CO peeps for making me feel… less alone… sniff!

37. This black puggy makes me sad, I lost my 11 year old sweetest dog in the world on August 24, 2009. Mr. Baby Pug went to heaven and my heart is still broken. This sweet little guy/girl reminds me of him. Baby Pug had the best snorggling neck, I’m sure this one does too.

38. TrixandSam says:

@260Oakley – standing “O” for that one. And The Wave. With lots of cowbells.

@Patito Gigante – camo spandex and swigging from a flask of whiskey would make it even better.

[Y'all aren't actually improving my mental image of boot camp, any :P - Ed.]

39. MANY MANY MANY beams of love and hearts to shannomo. <3 <3 <3 <3

OK, the only way curling would be truly awesome is if you had a cat sit on top of the thingy like they sit on top of Roombas. If two curling thingys pass by, then the cats could bat at each other for extra points. And for added excitement, there could be cat toys scattered around the ice that had to be either avoided or picked up by the cat (hmmm..I would say avoidance would be the optimal strategy there).
    The winner does not get a medal, but rather, a can of tuna on a lovely ribbon.

40. @Trix and Sam
    now I have the fever for more cowbell….

41. Pugs are the best way to start the day!

42. Curling = Bocce Ball on Ice

43. Curling would be even better with a ring of rifle-toting cross-country skiiers taking potshots at the “house” (which is, btw, how I play bocce ball).

44. StormCat42 says:

Oakley – Awesome as usual!!!

Saffron – as much as I love to watch Curling, your idea of a game is totally kewl!!!

Tomas – I have to say I’m a late arrival on the Curling train, but I do like watching it!!

45. @37 shannomo Hugs to you. Its so hard to lose our own CuteOverloaders. xoxo

46. This will be blasphemy to any sports fans but I am totaly in agreement with Mr Pug infact I find any sport a complete waste of time. I have found the taking part in Sport a waste of energy since school ,when I was forced to kick a ball round a piece of very muddy ground why? run round the streets of my area (the hills are one in four) and there was no bus route at the time. Jump over collapsible wooden boxes with leather on top and leap from a wooden planking arrangement over a leather horse hair stuffed object with ajustable legs.

47. Shannomo, I’m so sorry about Mr. Baby Pug. The pain lessens with time but it never completely goes away. Hugs to you for your loss. *hug*

48. Hon Glad, it helps to read a lot of Beckett.

49. Patito Gigante – I wouldn’t dream of reading anything by Margaret Beckett she is virtually a communist (Margaret Beckett is a Labour M.P.)

50. NTBTOB…

51. SKWERL!

52. TrixandSam says:

@Ed – boot camp? gawd no, I wouldn’t disparage it. my reference was to huntin’. (shouldn’t have deleted the part about deer urine.)

53. Not that beer, the other beer? Oh wait, I was watching curling with the pug…. *hic*

But what about hockey, eh?? Go Sweden!

54. Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound derisive. I just have no idea what’s going on, and NBC’s schizophrenic way of showing things in no way abates the confusion. I think I was starting to get the hang of it, then they switched to showing hockey. Thanks for the link, though, Tomas! That helped.

55. qte takes the gold in all events without lifting a paw