Secrets of Snowball Fight Success!

Spring’s coming — time for those final snowball fights! Here’s how to make the perfect snowball, from six-time snowball champ Marv “Stinger” Snarkbarkle:

“Waal, first ya gotta pack da snow good’n tight, don’cha know. You’re lookin’ fer sumptin ya can put a little spin on, for distan — Hey, whar da heck’s my snowball?!

Photos by Khalid I., who also sent us the sugar glider art director.

Comments

1. Aren’t I supposed to be filled with a delish cream filling?

2. It’s a hedgie Johnny Winter!

3. My snowball never have cute little pink nosicle!

4. earlybird1 says:

SPIKE dat snowball!

5. I never knew hedgehogs were so cute before I found CO. That second pic looks awfully like the hedgehog is shrugging. Coupled with the “you woke me up” expression, I’m seeing “Whaaat… You were expecting maybe Frosty the Snowman?”

And the first one just says “hmph.” to me. :D

6. AuntieMame says:

My browser isn’t maximized, so when I first opened CO, all I saw was a sliver of the top of the photo, enough to show just the top slice of Mr. Hedgie’s prickly back. And it totally looked like one of those gawdawful snowball snack cakes we used to have as kids. (I loathe coconut AND marshmallow cream, so…bleh…)

7. earlybird1 says:

I think hedgie feet are so cute! They’re long and delicate and tiny and pink, such a delightful contrast to their prickly, defensive bodies. Squeeeeeee!

8. awww! cute hedgie!

9. snarkbarkle? really?

10. p.s., I think I’m going to hedge my bets here… but I bet he wins the fight.

11. Meybe it’s just my blurry morning eyesight but… Tribble!

12. Sounds like an “Ole and Lena” joke, doncha know. ;)

13. earlybird1 says:

@Lazarus: TRIBBLE! Awesome reference! I totally see it!

14. earlybird1 says:

Perhaps a disgruntled Tribble…

15. Sweetest little handful of creamy-colored proshly-prickley hedgie-hoggie it has ever been my pleasure to view. Very jealous of person who gets to cuddle and watch the unfurling process.

16. needapuppy says:

Snowball-related news flash: part 2 of Simon’s Cat’s Snow Business has been added at http://www.simonscat.com/snowbusiness.html

17. Theresa, it totally does. Every time I go home to Minnesota I’m tempted to buy the Ole and Lena fortune cookies at the airport. Maybe if they throw in a free adorable hedgie like this one I’ll buy them next time.

18. Claudia C. says:

Doncha think there’s a slight resemblance to “Spike” on Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV show? The hair/quills at least.

19. Claudia C. says:

Doncha think maybe he looks a little like Spike on the Buffy/Angel TV shows? At least the hair and pale skin?

20. DaytimeDeb says:

That is a Simon MASTERPIECE!!!!

Oh, and Don’t hog the hedgie, or I’ll have to give you a wedgie. My turn to play with him!

21. Snarbarkle – Cheats never prosper, thhhp,razz,fffffart.

Auntie Mame – We had those things in the UK and probably still do, as you say Gawdawful. I do like coconut but even to a child’s untutored palate, the filling. was sickly sweet. My Dad used to tell me it was zinc ointment. :)

22. I get it! The secret of winning a snowball fight is to distract your opponent with an adorable albino hedgehog! THAT must be why I always lose…

Still, the chance to (very carefully) snorgle a hedgie makes the freezing water dripping down the back of my shirt totally worth it.

23. Awwww. If I give him a hot bath will that make him softer to snuggle?

24. I have the pleasure of handling my hedgehog every night, and it’s fascinating to watch him go from balled up stage to standing position and then he goes off to look for a hiding place. I love hedgies and their balled up positions are too cute to resist.

25. The name Snarklebarkle=awesome.

That looks like an apricot hedgie! My fave!!

26. P.S. I am LOVING the pink nosicle here!!

27. Hon Glad, the zinc ointment probably would have been tastier…

28. perhaps a disgruntled Tribble with a seriously bad case of bed hair…..

AuntieMame: coconut {shudder}

29. Snorglepup says:

What, no nuffers? Looks around. *ahem*

How can you encourage people to throw hedgehogs!!?
    Gasp! (clutching pearls) Think of the children.
    You could put some one’s eye out with one of those things!
    Thank you. That is all.

30. I get all your coconut and marshmallow creme!!!!! Pink, preferrably! Thank you AuntieMame and Victoreia. P.S., I have lost 10+ lbs since before Christmas! YAY me!

31. Theenk Peenk, peeps!

32. @Lazarus –

So this is what happens when a tribble eats a tube of hair styling gel?

33. Aw! He looks just like my hedgie Leonidas Wolfgang who goes by Leo! How adorable! You could just eat him up ;)