Uke-tastic!

I know ya’ll are busy watching the Who at the Superbowl Halftime show, but in case you were looking for something a litttle less Amerrrrican and something a little more of the crocheted, Japanese, Ukulele variety, settle in for some sweet videos:

Via Boing Boing. Listen to U900 tracks, see pics and watch vids over at their MySpace.

Comments

1. kibblenibble says:

Where to begin? I love how the black bunny scrunches his eyes in concentration as he plays. In the second, I love how the bear’s nose expands and contracts as he blows on his instrument. Love eet.

2. LOL I want to hold your hand crochet hand..

3. The Who is American?

[Not so much, no. - Ed.]

4. (sfx: wetting pants)

5. Japanese uke, huh

6. Enoshima or Bust!

7. love it

i’ve been trying to figure out how to make those. circles are hard.

8. I haven’t been this incontinent since Ukulele Ultraman.

9. Queen of Dork says:

Saints or Colts…don’t really care but I’d like to see the Saints take it and I do want to see The Who at halftime. I’m a Broncos fan myself. Or at least I was until Elway retired. I LOVES ME SOME ELWAY! John was one of football’s greats. Days gone by. *sigh* *Orange Crush* *sigh*

Oh well.

10. Queen of Dork says:

Dang. My cat just ran across my keyboard again. Dang. Before I corrected it, this post looked like this:
    ieuruan;g5093nbjiwa[e9uu3nn3mba;767.

(he actually did that last 767 part himself)

11. Why does this totally make sense in a Japanese-aesthetic kind of way? Totally love this band. *runs off to find out more*

12. Queen of Dork says:

I’ll let him walk on the keyboard. Let’s see what he types.

jnmhkhggg

Well, that’s what he typed.

13. Queen of Dork says:

I’m bored. I’ll try it again.

9099o8999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999997789

That’s better.

14. Interesting. I’ve never seen a Golliwog bunny before…

15. Kanpeki!

16. o0o
    I love that bear
    I love that bear
    I love that beeeeeaaaaar~

17. Queen of Dork says:

Do I watch the game or the commercials? Game? or commercials? Game? Commercials? game? commercials? Am I spelling “commercials” right? Have I lost my mind? game? commercials? game? commercials? game? commercials? Crap! I have to go. I’m missing the commercials. (am I spelling that right? Where’s my cat?)

18. …before titling this post “uke-tastic,” I think that it would have served you well to research what “uke” means in Japanese… ^^;;;;;;;;;;;; I’m pretty sure that isn’t the meaning you intended…

19. That was way better than the Who. Sorry to say.

20. shan-chan says:

Good point SnowFoxCreations, glad I wasn’t the only one who thought that initially!

21. can someone translate lyrics! please!?

22. Can someone please translate this cross-cultural experience??!!

23. Miaoosers says:

How cute! I never though the Ukelele would sound so nice. I kind of felt on vacation!

24. Is that set to the tune of Shakira’s Objection Tango?

25. 260Oakley says:

Hot dog, it’s a Don Ho-down, Japanese style.

PS I find it very distressing that the bear plays better with no fingers than I do with a working set of ten.

26. My husband asked what I was watching. I said I was watching amigurumis playing ukuleles in a Japanese music video. By the end of the second video we were both singing along. Now I know what to do with the couple amigurimis I recently crocheted; music videos!

27. I found their cd for order…and will be throwing this in on my next purchase. *sigh* I blame CO for all of this.

28. Yeah, I gotta agree with Snow up there. But this is very cute.

29. SnowFox, ShanChan, Kage — you do understand that you’re only tempting me to re-title it “Puke-tastic”, yes? :P

30. jdalyblueeyes says:

Uke! LOL!!!!

31. It’s a Seme-bration!

32. Fuzzalina says:

I can’t believe anyone didn’t say this first:

The Japanese, handing us our asses in the cute department, one moar tiem.

33. These are cute, but way trippy.

Is this real life?

34. Really not much to the songs. The first song is mostly just:

isogaba
    gaba gaba
    maware

Which is just a variation on the song’s title, isogaba maware, which is a Japanese saying which literally translates to something like “more haste; less speed” and its intent is something along the lines of “slow and steady wins the race”.

The second song is just sounds that don’t really mean anything at all.

35. LOL @ Patito!

36. What does The Who have to do with this? :(

37. Kirsten D. says:

Oh good, I’m not the only one who did a double-take at the “uke.” xD And thanks for the entirely undignified snort of laughter, Patito Gigante!

The videos are too freaking cute! <3

38. OMG I LOVED THE WHO PERFORMANCE TONIGHT!! The closest I will probably ever see them for reals.

Yea saints!

39. biscuithead says:

@RW
    The first song is the ye olde rock ‘n’ roll instrumental “Walk, Don’t Run”.
    So I guess they were playing with the title a bit!
    Cute!

40. haha, the who isn’t american.

41. theotherMolly says:

These vids are super cute, but. . .is anyone else thinking that the bunny reads a little differently in America than it might in Japan? Just a thought. . .

[If everyone could just let that bygone era be over and done, please... - Ed.]

42. Fran in L.A. says:

Oh for cryin’ out loud!!! Will someone pleeeeese give a hint as to what ,”uke,” means in Japanese? You don’t even have to esplain, just a little hint.

And for the last time, The Who are not American!

43. I think I’d rather watch the kitty half-time show. I love how half of them are asleep, and when they do wake up, they’re all “whatev.”

44. Bryoninny says:

I squee at the cuteness. Especially the dinky melodica in the 2nd vid. That was adorable. Perfect start to my Monday.

45. “Walk don’t run” is my earworm for today and the sound of the Ukulele is growing on me.

46. shan-chan says:

A quick trip to urbandictionary.com and you can find the meaning of “uke”

47. SnowFoxCreations, Fran In L.A., & others:

……Yeah, I went “WTH?” too when I saw the title.

Basically, uke is…..a way of designating sexual preference, let’s put it. The opposite term is seme, which has already been referenced.

I’m sorry to all you innocent C.O. peeps, but you’ll have to look up the in-depth definitions on your own. <_<o I don't want to post that kind of thing here.

I totally agree that C.O. should change the title to something less eyebrow-raise inducing.

[Oh come on. You're talking about a gay guy being a "bottom" as opposed to a "top". This has nothing to do with the intent of this post, and you know it. Please. :roll: - Ed.]

48. LOL@ everyone’s uke jokes.

49. chet, ruby, and miaoux's mommeh says:

they are like a crocheted version of Flight Of The Conchords!

50. Wow. Once again the Japanese crush us in Qtness.

Gaba gaba!

[HEY - Joey]

51. Both of the sounds are based on the classic instrumentals of “the Ventures”. I think their popularity died down a bit in the US because they were branded as a surf music band and…well…surf music isn’t as trendy as it used to be. But the japanese are still crazy about them and they still tour in Asia (minus poor Bob Boble, who died of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. RIP Bob Bogle.) I love “Diamond head”. The original version is even better!!!!!

You can listen to their music by searching “the Ventures” on YouTube.

For those who felt a bit sensitive about the appearance of the rabbit, I truly am sorry. I’m sure the creators meant no offense. They fact that his lips are pink makes the lip-synching more apparent and dramatic.

At some point, the creators mentionned in another vid that they both are best buddies even though “they are of different races”. I’m pretty sure they meant “because they are of different species-one being a rabbit and the other a bear. Again, I’m sad to hear that some were hurt by this and I understand that the issue of racism is still very touchy in the US.

– From a fellow Japanese-Canadian who loves real/stuffed animals, birds and (ALL) humans alike. xoxo

52. ohhhh so cute!

53. It is a sad state of affairs when the young people are more familiar with BL/yaoi manga slang than with the popular abbreviation of “ukulele”. For shame! Shame! Shaaaaaaame!

54. okay. My husband and I got Isogabamaware stuck in our head!

I say Iso Iso, he says gaba gaba, and I end with MAWARE!!!

sigh.

55. hmm.. it’s been a long time since I’ve taken Japanese, but it seems like the first song, the bunny says something like, “Hey, wouldn’t it be fun(ny) to go get something to eat?” and the bear says “yeah!”.

Then in the middle it’s like, “I’m just relaxing, surprised, to be resting on you… ” [something I can't understand]… “it’s bad, bad to be confused!”

and then back to isogaba (gaba).. maware!

Anyone better at Japanese? Now I’m curious!

56. Melinda (another one) says:

Having lived in Hawaii for 9 years, I don’t remember ukulele shortened to uku, uk maybe but not uku. Uku is the term for head lice in Hawaii.

That said, very cute videos! Sending to all my crochet friends.