Perhaps You’re Unfamiliar with the Term “Cookie”

After sitting patiently and staring intently for well over 2 minutes, Earl finally received his treat; but as soon as he took a bite, panic took over:

“What do I taste here…Carrots? Zucchini? Tofu? Wheat Germ?”

‘C’ is for cookie and it’s good enough for – COOOOKIE! yum-yum-yum-yum-yum…

Thanks, Atroxi, and more Earl here!

Comments

1. Baroo? Cat-flavored?

2. “What, all this begging and cuteness for this??”

3. well they did a good job of tricking him!

4. Is that a Papillon? SQUEEEEEEEEE!

5. We called this “he is chewing on high teeth”, very careful so the undelectable object didn’t actually touch the gums or even the tongue. Our dachshund would do this for a while, politely, and then spit the offending piece on the carpet and look at us accusingly “look what you made me do”. Then he would leave the room, head held high.

6. kibblenibble says:

Want want want WANT WANT THEES PUPPEH!

*blushes for getting carried away*

Sorry for the caps, peeps.

7. @Zeldapie: Pretty sure this is your run of mill long haired chihuahua.

8. OM-NOM-NOM-NOM-NOM

:)=)

~!Dan

9. resriechan says:

He doesn’t LOOK much, like the Cookie Monster
    (wishing I knew a way to make print look like the CM’s growelly, gravelly,
    Louis Armstrong-y voice….)

10. BabyOpossum says:

Imagining durian Newtons… *shudder*

11. BWAHAHAHAHHAAHA! Yea, you would like a Durian only until you broke it open silly puppeh !

12. resriechan says:

Ok, in the spirit of this line of logic, I’ll bite (giggle)

Instead of wandering out into the web to ask…I’ll expose my naivete ici.
    “What is Durian?”

13. 260Oakley says:

For a french puppy, the taste of a cookie that is not a madeleine brings rememberance of things crass.

14. Lol. Now I’ll be singing the Cookie Monster song all day! YOU’VE DONE IT AGAIN, CO, YOU’VE DONE IT AGAIN!

15. Here you go Res.

I have eaten it several times & I like it. To me it tasted something like a carmelized onion custard that was a bit stringy & slightly bitter. They aren’t exaggerating about the smell & in my opinion aren’t giving any real clue as to how bad it is. I’ve heard one description that said it was like eating ice cream in an outhouse however I never found durian to be very sweet and I personally never have been near an out house or honey bucket that was as nasty smelling as durian.

16. I think i’ll stick to chocolate digestives.

17. resriechan says:

@ MudBug:

er…carmelized …onion…custar-GAAAHHH!!!!

Thanks for the mental taste….I’m glad that I didn’t go buy some to taste it????

(wow.) 80

18. bad cat robot says:

The scent of durian is not so much “outhouse” as it is a combination of overripe gym socks and that stuff they put in natural gas so you can smell a leak. Plus, if you see one in its natural form it looks like a deformed, spiky cannonball. Little puppies would never have a chance against such an aggressive fruit!

19. Little puppies would surely go completely to town *rolling* in a durian, however.

I have eaten durian and enjoyed it. I’m not sure where the outhouse talk is coming from. The aroma is strongly like onion or garlic. That sort of smell does *not* go well with the custardy, fruity flavor of the flesh. It’s like a high-fat banana that decided it wanted to be an onion. Very confusing.

Granted, only one type of durian gets exported to the US.

20. Von Zeppelin says:

260Oakley: We have a winner in the All-England Summarise Proust Competition!

21. resriechan says:

Von Zepp:

Now 260Oakley’s only competition, will be at the France International Event….which includes an “all-you-can-eat” Madeleines eatathon…. we’re all lucky, that Proust didn’t write about Drurians but chose Madeleines instead as his muse…..

Signed,
    L. Thomas, B.A. in French, 1984
    (and YUP, hadda read Proust — oops — was OVERJOYED with the OPPORTUNITY — to read Proust en Francais….)
    ;)

22. Von Zeppelin says:

Have only read small bits of Proust en Francais. Perhaps because of this, I wouldn’t do well in the madeleine eatathon. (Not much of a pastry guy) I think I’ll enter the Toulouse-Lautrec Absinthe Drink-off instead.

23. @ Von Zeppelin Be careful of the Green fairy she will take your mind and break your heart.

24. 260Oakley says:

Hmm, I think my event in the Proustian Olympics will be the roll-over-in-bed-athon, where it pays to be three sheets to the wind.

25. resriechan says:

(the Absinthe Drinkoff & the Proustian Olympics are sounding a GOOD BIT more pleasant than the standard Olympics…..) ;)

26. 260Oakley:

WHAT ARE YOU?!?!?!

*stagewhisper*more importantly how do I clone you and take you with me to give me puns on my bad days?*endstagewhisper*

27. Fran in L.A. says:

260Oakley, are you British? My friend, Tim, is from England and he can pun his way through any and every conversation. I’ve known him over 20 years and he hasn’t failed yet!

28. A word of nuffing:

Durian is not advisable for people with high blood pressure. For some reason, it elevates it. Often cited in a few deaths each year in SE Asia.

29. 260Oakley says:

@EllaJae
    I’m a glutton for punishment, obviously.

@Fran in L.A.
    No, I’m not British, but I can drink beer at room temperature without gagging and I have been know to say “bollocks” on occasion.

30. snorglepup says:

Thanks for all the durian info! The more ya know…

31. TOOOOO CUTE!!!

32. @260Oakley
    As a Brit, I’m pleased you say Bollocks, it’s something I feel is severely lacking from Muricans vocabulary. Most swearing sequences in American films, seem to be a barage of F**ks and F**king and references to peoples Mother.
    I am afraid the Brit / warm beer notion, is a fallacy. A decent old Pub has a deep cool cellar and in winter the beer is ice cold (note it is never called Ale, even though ‘fine ales is engraved on the windows’. Unfortunately Lager seems to be the dominant drink these days, most of which comes under the category ‘Piss water’

[Your impressions might be slightly influenced by the likes of Eddie Izzard, whose impressions of American movie cussin' are of course caricatures, albeit hilarious... am I close? - Ed.]

33. That’s my puppy!!! Squeee! I’m so excited to see him here, you have no idea. Everybody should have a little Earl in their day.

34. Starlinguk says:

A durian might be going a teeeensy bit too smelleh.

35. mrsatroxi-Happy Earl day, then!

Durian is the fruit of which even Andrew Zimmeran wouldn’t take a second bite!

36. Ed. Theo, I haven’t seen many Eddie Izzard performances so it’s my own observation. When it comes to a cussin’ scene and its just variations on the F’word, I think, can’t you use a bit more variety. What about c**t or b****cks or w**ker.

[Oh sure, we've got plenty of variety here. Depends on the movie, y'know. The problem is Hollywood does tend to churn out a lot of dumb ones, with matching vocabulary, because the important thing is how much money they can make. Naturally. :P - Ed.]

37. 260Oakley says:

@Hon Glad
    How about “wally”, “pillock”, or my personal fav, “big girl’s blouse”?

38. Just one look at the pup’s face and you can read his thoughts: “Oh nooooes, this is healthy and good for me? Baroo!!! Wut have I done to deserve this!!!” :shock:

39. shadowexistence says:

Dogs absolutely luurrve Durian! (Face it, they love anything that smells like it should be rolled in first.)

And having fed it to my dogs, I can safely say that the only thing that smells worse than durian itself is durian-scented doggy kisses. Ecstatic “Oh, Mommy, that was soooo wonderful! Thankyouthanyouthankyou!!” doggy kisses.

40. @260Oakley
    You might like the Scots word, Wazzock.

41. I’m not generally a chihuahua person but Earl is adorable!
    Re: British slang- I use the word “bugger” daily, I call people wankers on a regular basis, and I’ve also been known to say “bollocks.” British swearing just has more rhythm to it. :D

42. resriechan says:

In re. vulgar/ slang, etc. …. a few years ago…working the public reference desk at the library in Tampa, I did what was socially preferable in my dad’s Navy family & used the term “crap” in order to avoid using a more-specific, nastier noun ….and was rather taken aback when my supervisor corrected me, that the term “crap” was TOO vulgar for the public area/ customers….TRULY this was more recent than the 1800s…(approximately in 1987 or so)

(sigh)