Roger Hummingbird, You’re Clear for Take-Off

It seemed Roger flapped a little too hard recently and unfortunately ended up with a broken wing. But never fear – Roger is now clear to hover next to petunias once again, thanks to the professional care of our sender-inner, K-riz.

(And the constant stream of inspirational lyricist, Mr. Mister, didn’t hurt, either.)

Bye-bye, birdie, K-riz.

Comments

1. poor little thing

2. StormCat42 says:

I absolutely adore Hummingbirds!! I’m so jealous of folks who get to actually have one sit on their finger!! What a little feathery cutie you have there and what a sweetie you are, K-riz, for helping his little wing heal!!!

3. Nice try on the ’80s earworm, Prongs. Nice try. Fortunately, that’s one of the many I’m inoculated against. Ah la la la la fly again, learn to live so free, and la la la can’t heeear youuu.

4. 260Oakley says:

Nice body work on that Hummer

5. Poor hummy! Glad to hear he is all better.
    Such pretty green color on the feathers! It’s almost the same dark green that Jack turns when he takes a bath.

6. K-riz is da BEST! People who rehab injured animals are so wonderful.
    Hummy is so beautiful. The peralized greens and reds…superb. Place I used to live in had a flower bush with hummys but I could never get a clear look at their gorgeous colors.

and, 260Oakley FTW! :D :D :D

7. So beautiful! He looks hand painted.

8. *pearlized, not peralized.
    I must learn to proooofreed more betterur.

9. kittyadventures says:

Snicker At first I read Rogers and Hammerstein… I had to re read it …..Fly away little Hummer fly away ….

10. Roger, Roger.

[What’s our… no I won’t do it this time! NOT THIS TIME :P – Ed.]

11. Awww. They gave him a bandaid sling! That’s some micro-mini wingwork!

12. Congrats to K-riz for taking care of the little hummer. They’re so gorgeous!

My beloved Grandfather (RIP) was confined to a wheelchair after having his legs amputated (diabetes). We hung a hummingbird feeder on his back deck, and soon it was visited daily by hummers.

One bird in particular seemed to hang around and ‘listen’ to my grandfather talk to him/her. After my grandpa passed away, that little hummer used to show up at the sliding glass doors, looking inside for Grandpa, for several weeks.

13. resriechan says:

KAR you beat me to it!! Quick on the draw !!
    (and, after all these years, the joke *STILL* makes me snicker!!)

Related: I wonder what the shelflife is, for jokes from the film “Airplane”. For me, **so far,** it looks like it’s 29 years & counting….)

14. Andi from NC says:

@Morjana – lovely story *grabs tissue, dabs eyes, blows nose with a loud roar*

15. don’t hum so hard next time, silly fella!!

♥♥♥hummingbirds!♥♥♥♥

16. katfighter says:

No lie, that song is on the radio here RIGHT NOW! Ahhhhhh!

17. is that a plastic pint basket in the background? For Mr Hummer to sleep in, I imagine. Rule 14!!!

18. and stop calling me shirley!

19. Pat Trenner says:

“What’s our… no I won’t do it this time! NOT THIS TIME – Ed”

Don’t hold back, it’s like blocking a sneeze: Your head will explode.

“But that’s not important right now.”

20. 1) Prongs and Theo, so, stretching the golden pipes? :P
    2) Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

21. PS: Tell YOUR old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes!

22. GAH *melts*

23. PPS Why do hummingbirds hum? They don’t know the words!
    :lol: I crack myself up!

24. WendyPinNJ says:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Poor little boo boo hummer! Want me one of my very own too!

@morjana, what a wonderful, sad story!

25. kittyadventures says:

NOT just any Hummer but a ruby Throated Hummer…

26. Beautiful bird! And yay K-riz for rehabbing the poor little guy!

27. Oh, please, please tongue-hance on photo two!

28. KittyAdventures) I know, right? I think they’re threatened or endangered, so double the good juju for helping heem.

29. @kittyadventures, it’s Rogers and HUMMERSTEIN!

[You & 260Oakley oughtta do lunch someday. – Ed.]

30. Prongs, what can you make out of this?

31. poor lil birdy…. hes soooooooooo cute…!!!!!!!! sadlook

32. He’s probably thinking, “This isn’t at *all* what I expected to happen when I broke my wing!”

33. Ditto the “awwww poor lil’ baby!”

I’m so glad he/she was found. Being hand-fed? Not having to move a wing while feasting? This is like a spa. Hummie’s going to get a taste of the good life!

34. So happy to see little Hummy on the mend…his irridescent feathers never cease to amaze me with their beauty…!
    @ Morjana: I got leaky eyes reading how the little bird pined after your Grampop…

35. Rule of Cuteness #14 multiple times over. (http://cuteoverload.com/2006/01/15/rule_of_cutenes_2/)

36. the poor bebee looks like he was snatched from the jaws of death. perhaps a vewe cute purvayor of death, but one with sharp teef.

37. Wonder if Ann Margret would like this one better than Conrad? ;)

38. AWW :( Poor little hummingbird :( I am glad to hear that he/she is now ok :)

39. aaahahahaaa… that music video was the most hilarious thing ever

40. Glad he didn’t have to join the “Choir invisible” I guess his repertoire is limited to the Humming Chorus from Madam Butterfly .

41. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

42. @Hon Glad, or Papageno’s “Hm hm hm hm” from the Magic Flute.

43. Pa pa pa pa pa pa paaaaaa….
    Hummerstein- OHH how I wish I had thought of that! Niiiiiiice!

44. A hummingbird once crashed into my kitchen window. Went outside and picked it up. It lay in my hand, sort of unconscious. I got an eyedropper with sweetened water and held it up to its beak. After a while, I could see the throat moving…! A little later, it sat up, then later, trial use of wings, sort of testing to see if equipment was OK and finally it TOOK OFF! This whole event took about 30 minutes.

45. @Katrina, just for you, Der Vogelfänger himself:

46. resriechan says:

On behalf of CO, I hereby bestow the 2010 Nobel “Kyoot Rsqte” Prize — also referred to casually, as “Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww”, to Patricia.

Thank you.

47. Peanutcat says:

DETAILS, dammit! We want the story behind this!

48. Theresa-you are such a wonderful Peep! Thank you! Peep!

49. Those hummingbirds are really cute looking!!