So What Did You Do For Fun When You Were a Kid, Grandpa?

“… back in those days, we didn’t any of this fancy-lad HD, 3-D, DVD whatzidingle, no sir.  Paid a nickel to take the streetcar down to the Odeon every Friday night.  Only cost a nickel to get in, and a large popcorn, that was another nickel…”

“… and that got you a feature, a newsreel, three cartoons, a travelogue from some island where the women didn’t wear shirts, Gaylord Mercer on the Mighty Wurlitzer, a trapeze act, and a live reenactment of the Battle of Little Big Horn, with horses.”

Something to ponder while you enjoy Avatar, Kerry M.

Comments

1. Grampa tell us borin’ stories.

2. superboymom says:

Orangy-tangs!

3. Did you also walk to school up hill both ways in the snow with cardboard in your shoes?

4. …so I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time.

5. Resriechan says:

Kristabelle BEAT me, to the punchline I wanted to place…also me likes superboymom’s “Tag” of “orangy-tangs”!!! NICE !!!!

6. “Give me five bees for a quarter,” you’d say.

7. Resriechan says:

(and PS @ NTM: “whatzidingle” — also VERY VERY nice!)

Signed,
    A VERY MATURE Vocabulary Geek
    (AND PROUD OF IT, so THERE!!)

8. I love how expressive the little one’s face is!!!! You can so tell his/her mind is starting to wander in the second pic and is thinking…’OK kinda sorry I asked, can I go and play with the other kids over there now? No? You’re gonna keep talkin’? Sigh.’

9. “…and then we’d get home and all my brothers and sisters would cram together to go to sleep, we couldn’t afford a bed, so we put four bumpers on the floor…”

Nice one NTMTOM.

10. What is the little white bit on his mouth? I can’t figure it out.

11. And we walked to school -uphill both ways!

12. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

Courtney, those are pumpkin seeds.

13. And when we got in trouble we had to stand facing the wall–we didn’t have corners back then.

14. I think the baby orang looks like a Grampa already — I was imagining him telling the story, with that little balding head and wrinkly mouth.

15. Von Zeppelin says:

Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.

16. Neither of my grampas was ever that cute. :lol:

I want to hug him. I want to put my arms around him and just hug him. For as long as he’ll let me. *sigh*

17. Gee our old La Salle ran great !

18. You were lucky, that were luxury. We lived in a cardboard box in the gutter and ate gravel.

19. @NTMTOM, in this vein, an article from The Onion, with Grandpa all over it:

20. PS: (4 Yorkshiremen accent) YOOO WERE LUCKEH!!

21. gizmo, nice grandpa simpson reference!

22. @Hon Glad, great minds think alike. Now get back t’mill, one on’t cross beams gone owt askew on treadle.

23. you couldn’t get white onions because of the war…

24. “OOooooooooh, we used to DREAM of living in a CORRIDOR!!!”

25. Trabb's Boy says:

Ehn, not cute enough.

I don’t know, apes give me the willies — too “almost like humans”. It’s the same feeling I get around clowns.

26. @Hon Glad You had a shoe box? Luxury!! We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip…

27. Oops, too late. Someone’s already posted the skit….

28. Ed Asner? . . . I just rented “Up” (cute movie, btw)

29. Hey VonZ and Mud Bug, Here’s a little “Today In History Moment” — That theme song made its debut as All In the Family premiered today in 1971.

30. And we only ate gruel for lunch and we were glad to have it!

31. @Gizmo, the metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that’s the way I likes it!

32. Dear lo’ how I love NTMTOM. Thank you for this.

33. resriechan says:

(@VZ:
    that song lyric is pronounced “HOI-buht” Hoovah, in these ‘yer Newnited States, ever since that they-uh TV show All in/ Family ….)

34. Von Zeppelin says:

Thanks for the pronunciation reminder, resriechan. “Dose were duh days. . .” (Reminiscently chomps cigar)

35. Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at 3 o’clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

I loooove how their eyes are so expressive. :)

36. resriechan says:

@ VZ: Me: BWA HA HA & hoo-hoo, TOO!

(howzat they-uh ceegar, boiiiii??)

37. victoreia says:

“We were considered rich because we had cardboard shoes!”

38. For those wondering what the orangutan has on it’s lip, it’s a pumpkin seed.
    The orangutans at my local zoo got little pumpkins around Thanksgiving and this one had the hardest time getting that seed off.

39. earlybird1 says:

TV? We didn’t have no TV, son. We’d set around and watch what’s on the radio. And WE LIKED IT!

40. dr. berthaservant says:

“Now I remember that Luise Rainer in her day, she was quite the looker, what with her foreign accent and all, but before that, there was Vilma Banky, boy, let me tell you, the site of her ankles and shoulderblades kept this doughboy warm many a nights in my trench, I tells ya…”

41. Oh, I loves me the baby’rangs with their wispy little see-through hair. Sigh.

42. Carnivorous M. says:

“We made our clothes out of newspaper and twine, and subsisted off of a thin gruel made of newspaper and twine. And sometimes we had to go without entirely when there wasn’t enough newspaper and twine to cure the baby’s Scarlet Fever.”

A Disapproving Vanilla Fudge Bunny Morsel to anyone who can guess what I’m quoting.

43. @ Theresa. I have an allotment (a plot of ground for growing vegetables) and it’s a four rod plot and we pay our rent at Michaelmas (pronounced Micklemas). In fact I know the rent will soon be due when the Michaelmas daisies start to bloom.

44. @Carnivorous M: Stephen Colbert?

45. Baby orangutans take ‘cute’ to a whole new level! They’re actually too cute for their own good! Orangutans are critically endangered in the wild because of rapid deforestation and the expansion of palm oil plantations in their rainforest home. If nothing is done to protect them, orangutans will be extinct in just a few years.

Please visit the Orangutan Outreach website to learn how YOU can make a difference in the lives of these amazing apes. You’ll see plenty of cute pictures as well!

Orangutan Outreach
    Reach out and save the orangutans! Adopt an orangutan today!
    Facebook Cause: http://causes.com/redapes

46. dude looks like jason robards.

47. @Orangatan Outreach: are you saying this is actually a Baby??

48. Carnivorous M. says:

@Theresa: Correct! :D

49. is thata tooth sticking out of his mouth or is it just food?