You Be the Journalist!

Experienced newswriters know it’s important to identify photo subjects from left to right, but this photo sent by reader Ilyssa S. throws us a curve.  Samson, the gray cat, is mostly to the left of Pencil, the orange cat.  However, Pencil’s head is to the left of Samson’s.  So, how would you call it? Which cat is left? (answer below)

Answer:  Who cares? They’re both cute.

Comments

1. omg, I am SO ded from the cute!
    neither one will be left, after I grab them and take them away!

2. amen!

3. Transpogue says:

toebeans up = twu wuv

4. On my lap, now, doublecat! So cute.

5. Spooning kittehs. *enraptured sigh*

6. 260Oakley says:

Which one is on the left? Why the southpaw, of course.

7. 260Oakley says:

Also, kitten danish with marmalade filling.

8. Mutual pillows, ahhhhhh…….*snuggles in*

9. Charles Barilleaux says:

It’s really rather simple:
    Sampson is the clockwise cat
    Pencil is the counterclockwise (“anticlockwise,” if you prefer) cat.

10. Von Zeppelin says:

Confucian cats embody yin and yang.

11. More importantly, where would the axes of snorgling(ks) be on this delicious leetle pretzel?

12. Yin yang kittehs, practicing the zin of snorgaling

13. LovesDogs says:

A kittie I **heart** you photo.

14. If Cerberus is a three headed dog, what is a two headed cat? Snorgleus?

15. LaureninGeorgia says:

This makes me want to go home and go back to bed with my kitties!

16. aaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!

17. cyberpunkrocker says:

*Both* of them left me gasping… because of the DoubleQte!!!

18. cyberpunkrocker says:

Also, if the wrong cat is removed from the pile, the right cat is left.

[LOL. :lol: Also, mew's on First? - Ed.]

19. It’s the kitteh version of the yin/yang symbol!!

20. Ying & yang was exactly what I thought, too!! (If I understand it correctly, yin & yang originated with Taoism, not Confucianism, which added a moral element to it much later.)

21. Neither one is “left ” after I run past & snag both those adorable babies for a quick huffing session !

22. OMG!!! Marmie toe beans!!!

[ded]

23. The only way you will find my two boy cats in a pose like this (they are brothers) one will have the others head clamped in his jaws while the other is raking his claws along his brothers stomach.

24. Ay de mi! Teh cute quotient is OVER THE TOP today people. Mercy!!!

25. These comments are even funnier than usual. Carry on, folks!

Great photo of two adorable kittehs. I think there’s just room for me in that pile…

26. OMFSM, “Pencil” is one of the best orange cat names ever!

Now, according to my calculations, the AoS on this two-headed kitteh is at the juncture of Samson’s neck and the top of Pencil’s noggin. Or it could be where Samson’s cheek meets Pencil’s flank. I’d better snorgle them all over just to be sure.

@Hon Glad – my cats are the same way; they can’t stand each other long enough to sleep together!

27. OMG <3 I am in love.

I can't even get my cats to be near each other without fighting. :(

28. They’re both in each other’s axis of snorgling.

29. Trabb's Boy says:

Aw, it’s like a yin yang thing without the butt sniffing!

Those are the sweetest little faces. What wouldn’t I give to be between them.

30. Von Zeppelin says:

Skip–I stand corrected (bows, doffs hat)–you are right that Taoism used the concept of Yin and Yang before Confucianism.

31. Von Zeppelin, Skip,

In Chinese philosophy, Yi Jing (I Ching) is called the First of All Classics. The concept of Yin (literally ‘shady side’) Yang (‘sunny side’) was first articulated there.

Kong Zi (Confucius) was famous for having done one of the earliest serious effort to edit and annotate Yi Jing. His philosophy was more of “ru shi” – actively engage in every aspect of society to bring about positive change. Whereas Laozi and Zhuangzi were more ‘chu shi” – disengage from the illusory and artificial things created by advanced civilization, and recover our lost connection with the natural world and our own nature. For these reasons we say Confucianism represent the Yang aspect/interpretation of teachings of Yi Jing, and Daoism (Taoism) the Yin side.

The actual Taiji (Taichi) Digram with yin and yang sides was developed much later, in the eleventh century, by Zhōu Dūnyí, founder of Rationalist school, which combined Confucianism, Daoism, and Buddhism.

32. charliewabba says:

So, Wuyizidi – does that mean I should order my eggs Yang Up?

33. charliewabba says:

with a side of snorgle.

34. A Yin/Yang kitty pair would have both cats clockwise or both counterclockwise. Here we have one of each, making a Pretzel pair. (To answer the question, find the center of gravity for each cat.)

35. yin and yang of cute.

like my bff from the winery: http://www.fotobabble.com/m/N1JSZDB4ZUZQR2c9

36. Sigh. Kittehs are so consummately comfy. I can feel my blood pressure going down just looking at this.

37. FlaxenCurls says:

Ohhhh my, this is just so beyond cute, I can’t even handle it. More of these pictures need to be in high resolution so they can be instantly transformed into my desktop background. *sigh*

38. YellowMiniNY says:

Siamese cats?

39. AuntieMame says:

Never mind who’s on first. Pencil is just about the awesomest cat name EVAR!

40. @Hon Glad, your cats are naturally warlike, like all the English. :P

[Oh now now. Let's not go there. ahem - Ed.]

41. wuyizidi – thank you so much for that very interesting bit of knowledge. You always learn something, here at CO!

42. I remember when my babies were that little. Wish they stayed that little!

43. Pencil is the best kitteh name ever!

44. i think that pink kitty toes are one of the best things in the whole wide world. another best thing: kitty cuddles!!!! thanks for the post, this made my monday a bit easier, through i agree with LaureninGeorgia, it make me want to go back to bed. i mean, i know that my kitties are currently doing this right now. on my soft pillows. and warm blanket. and they might even be purring. ok whatever.

back to work…

45. Cute snuggle cats… seem to be too distracted to know they’ve got the popparazi on their tails :)

~Dan

46. MarmieLover says:

Pencil! *deth by qte*

47. harmlesslittleflea (Clare) says:

Which cat is left? Simple. Samson will be the only cat left after I’ve nommed those toebeans. Then I will shmoosh my face into Samson and before long he won’t be left either.

48. Auuuuuuugh! Aaaaaaaaaaaah! I can’t…go on…I……augh…….*falls over*

49. Its a simple question of preponderance and predominance:

The preponderance of Samson is predominantly on the left side of this equation, whereas the preponderance of Pencil (2nd greatest kitteh name evah, btw, after “Weezer”) is predominantly oriented to starboard.

So, yeah…
    :-)

50. Animator Girl says:

It’s basically a Kitty Cat Ying Yang.

51. PS – The paw-pad acksh displayed by the Pencil is teh qte for days.

52. Animator Girl says:

Wait wait….. or like, if MC Escher did a kitty drawing.

53. Mary (the first) says:

Shown left to right: Pencil, Samson. Because it’s the face that most distinguishes one from another and their faces are in that order. I know, I know, with these two we can also tell from fur color, etc. but it’s kind of like boxers, “in the red shorts.. ” even though there are times when clearly there are other differences easily seen, if you know what I mean, so we can’t use fur color to tell them apart nor say one is “the big one” or even “the cuter of the two” (mostly because who could decide THAT) and ..um .. I think I”m rambling now because my brain has turned to mush from looking at this sweetness!!!!

54. dr. berthaservant says:

Yes please.

55. Indeed. Perfect! Awesome! Happymaking! Aww!

56. I don’t know who’s left or right, but Samson must be #1 because Pencil is #2.

57. resriechan says:

What I wanna know is:

“Where do I sign up?”

58. AuntieMame says:

LOL at T.U.M.! They’re ready to fill in their official test sheet. :D

59. kibblenibble says:

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥Awwwww!♥♥♥☺

60. Like a ballpark pretzel, sans mustard…..

61. Juniper Jupiter says:

I would call it “Schrödinger’s Bad Acid Trip”.

Yes, I would.

62. Theresa – I don’t think the English are war like, but we can only be pushed so far, then as Churchill said “up with this I will not put”

63. @Hon Glad, such as cheeky colonies getting ideas above their stations. Rightly so. ;)

64. I want these kittys!
    They are WAY cute!

65. Yn and Yang

66. wow that a cutie! p.s. visit cuterthanorequaltoo.blogspot.com

67. :twisted: I would SNORGLE both Pencil and Samson :twisted:

68. Strawberry toe beans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

69. Sally Morem says:

The yin-yang symbol for cats. Cute!

70. animal luvr says:

gray cat is left, but who really cares. and anyway, neither will be left when i pick them up and take them away. SPOONING KITTIES!!!!!!!!!!!! i love it!!!!!!!!

71. snoopysnake says:

If I go to the store and ask them for Pencil the Cat Pink Pawpads nail polish, will they come to take me away, ha-ha?

I love this photo to pieces, meeces!

72. “Pencil (centre) and Samson (outside)?”

A tabby and a marmie curled up together… now that is BLISS.